Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.
Just in caseyou were wondering, I did give the child my penname and nickname. Hey, you know you want to include yourself too. Anyways, Enjoy!!!





Unlikely Angels
Part 4
Kristia Aliss









Alright guys, here's the plan (as you must know now i am not one for detail and i hate being patient :p).

************
The next day, the Centre

Jarod ran down the corridor's of sl-5. man, this could be devajue, he thought amusingly to himself. As they planned no one from the team would be there, save lyle. He was trusting Lyle with his safety, again. That's happening a lot lately, he muttered to himself. As he turned the corner he say his goal. Dad!

Jarod opened the cell door and helped his father out. Come on dad, we're getting you out.

We're? Just then Kyle threw down the vent shutter. He hoped out and stared at his father, tears streaming down his face.

Dad?

Kyle?!! they both knodded in union and embraced as tears of joy were released from years of painful seperation.

Kyle we have to go now. Kyle nodded at Jarod.

Everything was going according to plan, they had the Major in the car, and Kyle was in the driver's seat. Everyone was inside...except Jarod.

Lyle's timing was as clockwork, he rounded the corner. With his gun drawn, he yelled: Jarod Freeze.

Jarod turned and yelled “go now!” With a strange look from his father, and an “act” of hesitation in his brother, the car squeeled of down the road.

Jarod turned to run but froze when he felt a hard object press into his back. Don't move Jarod. I mean it.

The sweepers raced to the cars and tried in vain to start the engines.

Oh, sorry, Jarod said sarcastically, you might need those.

The sweepers looked behind a canaster to find 4 spark plugs. Damn! Lyle exclaimed bitterly.

Well at least we still have you. Welcome home, Jarod.

Not for long Lyle. Jarod threw a punch into lyle’s stomach and began to run.

Lyle fell over, maximizing the effects, and caughed after him, “Get him, and dont' shoot we want him alive.”

Jarod ran desperatly but it was no use. He was tackled to the ground and held there by two sweepers. He stuggled with no avail as Lyle walked up.

Jarod, you should know better.... He pulled out a syringe.

No, Jarod muttered. No please, don't ..... Lyle injected the serum and watched as Jarod feigned weakness.

The sweepers let him go and watched as he drifted into the darkness.

Take him inside, Lyle said, pulling out his phone, as sadastic smile stained his lips. Dad… I have him.


********************
A few miles down the road

Kyle what are you doing? We have to go back and help Jarod.

Kyle glanced back and cringed when he saw the look of disgust and confusion on his father’s face. He replied softly. Dad it’s okay. That’s the plan.

Wha…

Kyle interjected, I’ll tell you as soon as we get, uh, home.

Home?


***************
2 hrs outside of Delaware

Stia’ looked through the pane glass windows of the church, awaiting her father’s return. Her Dad and Uncle decided to leave her with a friendly pastor they both knew and trusted completely. Jarod had called and revealed their plans to the older man, telling him to have Stia’ ready. As she saw headlights coming down the driveway, she ran over to the preacher to give him a quick hug. Bye Brother Roberts. My daddy’s here!!

Wait until we’re sure Stia’…. But it was too late, she was out the door and down the steps before he could finish the sentence. Kyle exited the vehicle and thanked the pastor, while they shook hands. He bidded them farwell and a safe journey. May God be with you! And with that, they left.

Stia’ glanced in the back seat, You’re my grandpa?!!

Grandpa? The major threw a questioning glance at Kyle.

Stia’ proceded to climb into the back seat, Stia’, stay still sweetheart. I haven’t even had the chance to introduce you two yet.

Dad this is my daughter, Kristia Aliss.

Sunshine, say hello.

Hi!

She reached back and embraced him, the Major leaned forward to receive the childs precious gift of affection.

He laughed to himself, I’m a grandfather. Man, I must be getting old.

Kyle laughed.

Son, I didn’t know you had any children.

There’s a lot you don’t know about me. Kyle’s voice faded out and he looked down regretfully.

It doesn’t matter now son, The major caught a glimpse of his son’s expression in the rear view. Whatever happened I know you weren’t fully to blame. He placed a loving hand on his 2nd oldest’s shoulder. I know what happened to you when you were this precious angels age, he glanced lovingly at his granddaughter, who was by this time asleep, and I know some of the things you’ve done. Things I know that you would never want me to find out about. Kyle cringed. Son, You’re different now. I know you are, there’s nothing you can do to change the past, just try to make the future a little brighter. I love you and I always will, no matter what.

I love you too, Dad. There is so much I want to ask you, but it wouldn’t be fair for me to ask now. I’ll wait till Jarod gets here.

Jarod’s coming already?

You’ll see was the only reply he received.

******
2 hrs later

The Major looked around and found himself confused. Son, why are we back in blue cove? I agree we should go get Jarod but we need a plan and this little one needs to be somewhere safe.

Kyle smirked. Dad I told you we aren’t going back for Jarod.

His father shot him a look to say, are you okay? Maybe I should drive?
“Then where are we going?”

The one place they would never look of us.

They pulled into the driveway of Lyle’s house. He was sitting on the porch waiting to greet them.

Mr. Lyle??

Hello Major.

What have you done to my…. Kyle interjected, Dad he hasn’t done anything to Jarod. He’s on our side.

Stia’ ran up and hugged Lyle, Uncle Jamie!!

Hi sweetheart, long time no see! You’ve been being good for your Dad and Uncle?

Yep, she said, her eyes gleaming with happiness.

Your rooms just the way you left it. Go on up and get ready for bed. Your Dad will be up to tuck you in a little while.

Stia’ looked down sheepishly. And asked her father. Daddy?

Yes sweetheart?

Do you think it’ll be okay if Uncle Jamie tucks me in and reads me a story tonight.

Sure sweetheart, now go get ready for bed, it’s late.

Stia’ smiled and grabbed Lyle’s hand, pulling him up the stairs with her.

Uh, I’ll be back. And Lyle was gone.

Kyle sat and began to explain everything to his father, who was by this time thoroughly confused.


*************
35 minutes later

She’s cleaned up and in bed. Lyle saluted Kyle.

Thanks Jamie.

No problem Bro’.

So let me get this straight, Miss Parker and You, Mr. Lyle, are twins.

They both nodded.

You are all now working together and helping each other.

Yes sir, Lyle said. Broots, a very special lab tech, and Sydney, you know him, he’s the one that raised Jarod, are both helping us also.

Major rubbed his forhead, that’s a lot to grasp in one night.

Lyle stood. Why don’t you take the guest bedroom. You look very tired. You don’t have to worry Jarod is safe and he’ll stay that way.

Lyle I’ve been meaning to ask you. What are you doing here? I thought for sure they’d have you interegating Jarod for a good long while.

Lyle smirked at him. We decided at the last minute to change that plan. I gave him a “sedative”. He smirked at their frowns. Then laughed, let’s just say your brother won’t have to be worried about being aminic ever again. And they took him to “his room” , not a cell, a room. The trimuvarite wants to try a new method of rehabilitation with Jarod. He laughed again. My father has put me in total control of the “project.” No one can see him without my permission and I left orders that no one was to see him until I came back. No one!!

Kyle there’s another spare across the hall from Stia’. Why don’t you take it. Kyle helped the Major up the stairs, who was a little sore from his stay at the illustrious centre. I’ll be down here if you need me ,my rooms the only bedroom on first floor. Good Night.

Good night.

Kyle settled the Major in and went to check on his slumbering princess. He went to bed and thought about his brother. Night Bro’, he said outloud, have a good nights rest. He laughed, glad it’s not me. I don’t think I could make it another night in that hell. He fell asleep.

*************
The next morning

Kyle got up knowing full well that Lyle was already gone. He sat down at lyle’s labtop and began to type. Let’s get this plan underway.

***********
Jarod’s room

Jarod woke up, acting as if he was feeling the affects of a drug. He remembered Lyle’s last words to him, I’ll see you early tommorrow morning Jarod. Have a good nights rest…. I almost died when they changed my clothes. All I really wanted to do was get up and smack lyle. I’ll get him back for that little snicker later…. It was so hard to go to sleep without even being able to move a muscle. Uhh, my whole body hurts…….

Lyle walked in quickly and stood over his captive, appraising him.

Jarod looked up slowly, allowing his eyes time to “ seem” to be focusing….Lyle? He said with a touch of a slurr.

Good morning Jarod. We are all so happy to have you home after your… vacation, so to say. You know Jarod, it really hurt us when you left.

He smirked pulling himself up onto his cot. Do you really think I care?

Jarod. You shouldn’t be so harsh. We are you’re family after all.

Jarod glarred at him. Neither you nor the Centre have a place in my family.

Oh, come now Jarod. The Centre has raised you since you were a small child. We know more about you and you’re needs that you’re parents ever will. Jarod raised and eyebrow and shook his head, placing a hand on his forehead.

The Centre cares about you’re well being. Jarod, the Centre is the only home you’ve ever known. You know as well as I do that you feel safe, as well as comfortable here. You belong with us. WE are you’re family.

Jarod grabbed his head in full act of the drama. No…you’re lying. …..I don’t belong here….I DON’T…. His confusion was spreading through his mind as he kept up with the pretend. He looked up at Lyle, what…what did you do…to..me?

Lyle gazed deeply into Jarod’s glazed eyes. I just gave you a little something to help you be more responsive in your..reeducation. Sam entered and gave Lyle a syringe.

Jarod backed against the wall.

Sam I think I’ll need your assistance. Sam struggled with Jarod and brought him face down onto the cot, holding one arm against his back. While Sam wasn’t watching and with his back turned to the camera, Lyle quickly switched syringes. He reached for Jarod’s other arm and slid the needle into a vein. Sleep well Jarod. Have a nice flight.

Jarod’s eyes rolled back into his head as he felt Sam’s weight lift from him. He closed his eye lids and his body went limp.

Lyle glarred down at Jarod sadistically. He turned him over, recieveing a soft moan. He placed a pillow under the pretender’s head and covered him with a blanket. After he placed Jarod’s arms at his side, under the blanket, he firmly tucked it in under the thin mattress. Reaching over to the table, he retrieved a headset and placed it on Jarod’s head. Low sounds escaped from them as Lyle turned the device on…..The Centre owns you…you belong to the Centre…the Centre is you’re home….you feel safe here….the Centre is you’re home….the centre is your family…the Centre owns you...the Centre is your family….the centre loves you….the centre is your home. Uuuhhh, Jarod thought to himself. If I have to go through two more days of this I’ll go mad. Okay 2 hrs. Just 2 hrs. Grrr. Lyle if you weren’t on my side I’d kill you.

Sam, watch for him to wake up and then call me immediately.

But Sir won’t he be out for quiet a while?

No, last nights dose was laced with a sedative. He should be awake within 2 hours at the most. No one is to see him. His mind is very fragile now, and can be manipulated with ease. My father wants to be sure everything goes according to plan.

But sir what about Mister Raines?

Lyle glarred at him as if he had just slapped him in the face. My father will deal with Raines just do your job.

If he should ask for anything, within reason, give it to him.

It is crucial that he begin to trust us again. As he turned to leave he heard the protégé’s soft mumbles, glancing back he watched the other man’s head as it turned slightly back and forth. Lyle walked out of the room and headed up to see Parker and the rest of the team.


*******************
Jarod Search Central

Broots you had better have a new location on Jarod. Parker barked threatningly at her coworker.

Lyle walked in calliously. Now that Stia’ was gone they had returned to their previous sibling rivalry. Thank God that now it’s just an act, he thought apprectiatively.

Good morning Parker, Syd, Broots.

And to what to we owe your gracious visit dear brother, Parker said sarcastically.

Oh, I just thought you’d like to know that their will be no need for looking for Jarod anymore..

They all frowned in confusion.

He smiled triumphantly. We picked him up last night.

Syd. Flashed a fake smile. Well, when can I see him?

I’m afraid you don’t.

Syd.’s smile disappeared.

Jarod’s a little busy right now.

Lyle, what have you done?

Nothinng, Lyle said innocently. He’s just a little bit tied up at the moment.

Mr. Parker said that I would be in charge of Jarod’s reentry.

Sorry Sydney. Dad’s placed me in charge. Don’t look so surprised. You didn’t think the Centre would let him continue to rival against them with his rebellious attitude did you? The Triumvartie has decided that a little.. reprogramming is in order. Lyle smiled sadistically.

Parker smirked, you mean brainwashing.

Lyle shrugged, call it what you will. Either way it won’t change anything. Jarod’s going to be our nice loyal little lab rat once again, actually even better than before.

Syd. sat down with his face cupped in his hands.

Lyle was astonished. I never knew Sydney was that good of an actor….then again…uh…gotta think about that later.

Oh, don’t be so glump Sydney. I may let you see him after his reeducation. Just have to make sure you’re loyalties are in the right place first,he said thoughtfully.

My loyalty has always been to the Centre. Lyle glarred at him thoughtfully. The Man is good!

He glanced at his sister and walked out of the room.


*
Mr. Parker’s office

Mr. Parker sat intently at his desk, watching the surveilance feeds from Jarod’s room. He noted how the pretender struggled in his sleep for some time. But then he stopped almost as suddenly as he began. Jarod now lay still on his cot, resting comfortably. Lyle entered and Mr. Parker commented, He was fighting it at first, but it seems he’s beginning to weaken. Very good Lyle. He seems to be making improvement already. Keep up the schedule as planned. Just then Jarod began to moan softly, Sam’s head could be seen leaning over the protégé. He pulled out a cell phone and dialed a number.

Lyle’s cell rang and he answered it. Yes, Remove the headset, I’ll be there in a few moments. He hung up the cell and smirked at his father as he walked out of the room.


*
Jarod’s cell

Sam had just removed the headset and untucked the blanket, placing Jarod’s arms outside of it, when Jarod began to wake up. His eyes fluttered several times before they finally opened. Jarod looked around slowly, surprised when he saw Sam leaning over him.

Welcome back to the living.

Jarod just frowned at him, acting as if he were still a bit under the influence of the serum. He licked his parched lips slowly as his head sunk back down to the pillow it had been resting on.

Would you like some water? Sam offered.

Jarod almost fell off the cot. I can’t believe Sam is actually being halfway decent, let alone nice to me…Parker did always say she liked him best. The pretender hid his astonishment well. He closed his eyes for a few seconds and then opened them, halfmass, nodding at his keeper.

Sam supported Jarod’s neck and uppper back as he held the cup up to the young man’s lips. He drank slowly from it.

Better? Jarod nodded weakly.

Sam had just set the cup down when Lyle entered. Well Jarod, how are we feeling this afternoon?

His ownly answer was a low grumple as the other man’s face turned towards the wall. However, he caught a glimpse of the look of frustration and confusion that it held. Feeling a little disoriented I see.

*****
A week later

Jarod was walking on the surface level with Lyle and Sam, his only armed escort. It took all the will power he had not to look at the exit, much less not run through it. He just smiled and continued to walk down the halls, contently. Uhh, I HATE this. Lyle was trying as hard as he could not to laugh, a smile couldn’t help but form on his lips. He knew exactly what was going on in Jarod’s mind. How does he think I feel, everyday? Well I guess he would know better spending 30 years in this hell hole. It’ll all be over soon though. They rounded the corner and knocked at Mr. Parker’s door. Jarod’s body tensed, intentionally.

Come in, Mr. Parker called. They all walked in. Lyle told Jarod to sit in the seat left of the desk, which he did immediately. He looked around nervously.

Welcome home Jarod. How are you feeling today?

Fine sir, how are you?

Very well. How do you like being home?

It’s kinda…strange….but…I…I..feel really… comfortable being back. Almost like….I… never left.

Well I’m glad to here that son, Mr. Parker walked to Jarod and placed a hand on his shoulder all the while smiling proudly at Lyle. We are just glad that you finally realized were you belong.

Jarod looked up at Mr. Parker and wanted to hurl but keep up the masquerade. Yes sir. I…Mr. Lyle said that I should appoligize. He looked directly into the head cheese’s face, acting nervous .. I…I’m sorry..I should of never left….This is my home…I ….I belong…. here.

Mr. Parker smiled happily at Lyle. Nodding a well done as he walked behind Jarod to his other side. He sat down on the sofa beside the chair. He smiled at Jarod. Now that’s what we like to hear. Would you like to get back to work.

Jarod’s face lit up as he faced him…..I guess at this point all of my fears of being in trouble with my “family” have vanished. Thankyou, Mr. Parker. I’d love to get back to work.

Mr. Parker nodded. I’m sure you want to make up for all the time you’ve spent away from home.

Yes sir….and I want to make it up to all of you…you’re my family and ….you always have been. He looked down shamefully. His old attitude sliping in for just a moment….purposely.

No need to worry about that now. You are completely forgiven. Let’s just try to make up for all that time you lost.

Jarod stomach cringed, but he smiled happily all the same. Lyle motioned to Jarod that it was time to leave. He got up, without hesitation, and made his way to the door.

Jarod, Mr. Parker called from behind. He turned.

Remember the Centre is your family. We love you and are very glad to have you home.

Jarod smiled innocently as his stomach turned. This man is so repulsive, how can anyone lie so well? Thankyou sir.

Jarod was lead through the door followed by Sam then Lyle, who did everything he could not to make eye contact with Jarod. If I look at him I’ll lose it…if I look at him I’ll lose it. He looked over at Jarod and saw the look of utter disgust. He glanced at Lyle and his expression turned to that of humor. Lyle looked away and smiled broadly as they walked down the corridor. Oh, I hope they think this is a look of pride filled victory…or something.

They walked into the elevator and Lyle pressed the key for Sl-17. He slid his key in for authorization and the elevator started to move. Jarod looked Lyle straight in the face. Lyle gave Jarod a look, telling him to trust him. He just glanced into his eyes and Lyle relaxed. TRUST ME. He sent back. Jarod leaned against the wall and nodded.

They exited the elevator and went into the sim lab. Sydney was sitting at a desk waiting on Jarod. The two commenced with the act,embracing each other. Sydney.

Oh, Jarod. How have you been. It’s been so long.

I know Syd. Jarod looked down sheepishly, I’m sorry…. you always told me that I belonged here but I wouldn’t listen.

Sydney nodded approvingly at Lyle. Uh, don’t puick, don’t puick. I’m just glad you finally came back home Jarod. No need for apologize. Let’s get back to work shall we.

Jarod nodded enthusiastically. What is Lyle doing. He knows I said I’d never do another sim for the centre. Lyle walked over and sat beside Syd. Jarod are you ready to begin..

Of course, anything you want Mister Lyle, but his eyes were saying, JAMIE WHAT ARE YOU DOING??

Since this is your first day back Sydney has chosen a few exercises just to get your mind back in shape and prepare you for the sims.

Will you be staying with us Mr. Lyle. Sydney asked

No, I’m afraid not today. I have a few meetings scheduled. Jarod you behave for Sydney. He reached over and rubbed Jarod’s shoulder lightly. Sam will be outside if you two need anything. There will be “absolutely” no distractions. I’ve made sure that you two can concentrate totally on your work. Lyle left. As the door closed behind him. Jarod sighed in relief, knowing Lyle’s over emphasis was his way of indicating a bug and camera free zone.

Man, that was crazy. He started to laugh do you know what just happened with Mister Parker. Jarod, you’ll have to tell me later. Jarod got serious. How’s Dad?

He’s fine. He’s ready for all this to be over so you can come home though. Syd. Smiled. Stia’ told me to tell you hello. Everythings mostly set. Do you think you can get into the archive to locate the boy?

It shouldn’t be a problem as long as Lyle keeps them busy. Jarod laughed. They would never believe that their newly trained retriever would be the one hacking into the files. His stomached tossed as he asked the next question, What’s this about sims Sydney?

It’s nothing really Jaord. Kyle’s picked some out for you to do.

Syd. I …

I know what you vowed but these aren’t for the Centre. They are more or less just like the ones you’ve been doing in the outside world. We’ll do the work but when we leave it will come with us. They will never see the results.

Jarod shook his head. Syd… I just don’t want to hurt anyone else.

And you won’t ….trust me Jarod. Please, trust me again.

Jarod looked up at Syd in shock. Seeing tears in the older man’s eyes he cursed at himself. How could I have never seen his pain. All I’ve said ….all I’ve done…poor Sydney.

I’m sorry Syd. I do trust you…I ALWAYS have.

Syd. Smiled back at Jarod as he he felt a comforting hand being placed on top of his own. He knew then , at that moment, that he had the forgiveness he sook that day at the bar. That jarod said he could never give. He looked into his saraget son’s eyes and saw the sincerity and love they held. Thankyou Jarod, Thankyou. A single tear slipt out of his eye, and ran down his round face…a tear of joy.






Feedback please : Skydaybreak@yahoo.com