Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.
Just in caseyou were wondering, I did give the child my penname and nickname. Hey, you know you want to include yourself too. Anyways, Enjoy!!!


Unlikely Angels
Part 1
Kristia Aliss




Uncle Jamie, Kristia exclaimed as she entered the front door. Happy to be home from yet another boring day of school.

Afternoon sweetheart. How was your day?

uh, sloooowww. Why do I have to go there? I already know all that stuff.

Stia' we've been over this. You have to go so the Centre will continue to think you are just a normal, although above average, kid.

Alright Uncle Jamie, if you say so… but i still don't have to like it.

Stia' disapeared around the corner at the top of the stairs.

It's still so strange to hear her call me that, Uncle. I'm happy that she calls me Jamie. She doesn't call me Bobby, the scared young boy I was, nor Lyle, the twisted person I have become. But rather by my real name, Jamie Matthew Parker, the person I really am, and would have been able to be were it not for Raines and the Centre.

Uncle Jamie, what's up?

Nothing sweetheart. Are you ready?

Yeah, I guess. It’s the same old, same old everyday. Go to school, get off , come home, and go to the Centre. Uhh, I just wish we could chill together some time.

I know Stia' but there will be plenty of time for that later. We need to convince the centre that we are getting along well and that everything is going according to their plan.

Ha. Stia laughs. I'm glad they chose you uncle Jamie. Little do they know that you were the best choice for me but not for them.

I'm just glad you finally decided to trust me sweetheart. I never thought I'd get you to tell me the truth.

I wanted to but I didn't know if I could trust you. My dad taught me everything I know about pretending. He told me never to trust anyone, unless i felt in my heart that i could. I'm glad i decided to trust you too.

After Stia' opened up to me, like they hoped she would, I told her about there plans to use her, if possible, and if not to lur her family there. They believed that Stia’ was hiding her abiilities, and rightfully so. It’s still hard for me to fathom that a 9 year old girl could have such awesome talents. Sometimes I think she’s better than Jarod. The centre also doubts Kyle died a year ago. They believe it to be a fabrication. Although I saw it, I shot him myself, I think remorsefully. They believe that if Kyle was alive, he would bring Jarod and then they could have both of their top pretenders back at home were they belong. Everything was going accorcdingly, except one thing. i decided to keep Stia's secret. I grew so attached to her. I never knew I could love anyone, especially like this.

Uncle Jamie, do you think my dad is still alive?

I don't know sweetheart, my stomach quizes at my own answer. I hate lying to her but she would never forgive me if she knew the truth.



**************************

The Centre: Miss p's office.

Hey aunt P. Sup?

Hi Sky, Miss Parker announced with open affection. She loved Stia' even though she knew she could never let anyone beside Lyle, Broots, and Sydney know.

A large smile grew across Stia's face. She loved Miss Parkers nickname for her. M.P. had said that she looked exactly like her father; but, the light in her eyes could be matched bye no ones. She told her that the sparkle of her eyes could light up the entire sky. That's when she gave her the nickname.

It’s strange how much she reminds me of Jarod, she thought. He has seen the same twinkle in his eyes, but it’s so much brighter in stia’s. Glancing at the shining young girl, parker couldn’t help but smile. She has such a thrill for life, yet another gift of freedom. Looking at an old picture of Jarod and thinking about the changes in his countenance. You can see his joy for life, yet still a deep sorrow for the time stolen from him. I am so glad he has finally found some happiness she thought.

Earth to aunt P., stia interrupted.

Oh, sorry sweetheart. Just taking a strole down memory lane.

Who's that? Stia’ leaned over to see the picture Parker was holding.

OH, someone very special to me, and to you. she noted thoughtfully.

Just then Lyle walked in the door.

Remind me to tell you later, Parker replied, as she saw the look of confusion flash across Stia' s face.

Hi sis, Lyle announced. What's up?

Oh, not much. just girl stuff ,you know. They both laughed knowningly as she stashed the pic in her desk. She loved messing with Lyle. Having a brother to torment can be such fun! She knew he didn't want Stia' to know about what happened to her father. It would destroy their relationship, not to mention Lyle along with it.

Oh, I see the game, Lyle laughed playfully. Stia’ they want you for more tests, he gave her a serious glance.

Stia’ walked out in a huff. She turned back quickly: Well, you coming right?

Be there in a sec. Stia’. We decided that either Parker or I would have to be there during the tests with Stia’. We weren’t taking any chances of leaving her alone with Raines or his goones. Lyle thought back to the beginning of the maskarade. What? Mr. Parker exclaimed.

I’m sorry dad, lyle replied. She won’t do anything with out Parker or me present. Lyle looked down at the small figure clutching tightly to his chest. His shirt socked with tears. She doesn’t like them. They scare her.

Although he hated admitting it, it was actually for their benefit. If anyone tried to even talk to stia’, except the select few, broots and syd included, she’d scream bloody murder. That’s when I was first awarded custody of Stia’, lyle thought back,… She had matured so much since then, one of the things the Centre must not know…They had decided to let Stia’ live with a centre employee, hoping that they could get the child to trust them and uncover her secret. Luckily they chose me,With a lil’ convincing from my father. Mr. Parker wanted the girl close and no where near Raines, he’s too unpredictable. After a few months, they decided to let me adopt Stia’,in which I am still in the process, going under the name Jamie Denton. That’s when parker started snooping around. Although she would have never admitted it then, she liked stia’ and wanted to make sure I wasn’t hurting her. She discovered the truth late one night when she saw us playing lovingly in the living room. The best pillow fight I’ve ever had, lyle smiled to himself. She confronted me and I confided in her. Since then we’ve grown much closer. I thank Sti’a for that. I’m so glad I have my two girls to love he thinks to himself. “ I’m glad you’re with me sis, he stated sincerely,I always wanted a family.” He leaned over and hugged Parker, placing a kiss on her cheek. See ya, he stated caringly.

Later she replied. They had agreed that there affection toward each other should appear but be limited.especially when Stia wasn’t around. The triumvirate would agree that it would help the picture they wanted to produce for Stia’, but they could never find out about how much they trully loved each other. A decision was made long ago that no discussion of their agenda would be held at the centre, too risky.

See ya in a few, Lyle stated non-chalantly as he went into his, “ I’m the bad guy” personna.

Parker laughed to herself, if they only knew. He’s really so caring and comforting , she giggled aloud and smiled, like a big teddy bear.


***********

Jarod’s layer


Jarod sat typing diligently on his laptop. Hacking is becoming harder and harder these days, thanks broots, he stated grimly as he continued to search through the Centre’s data base. Jarod stopped typing and just stared at the screen. …I …. I have a niece, Jarod spoke to himself. I have a niece…. I am a uncle, he stated for self recognition. The happiness grew in his voice. Her name is Kristia. As he read anger took over his features. Lyle, Lye’s keeping her. He had better not have hurt her. Jaord jumped up , grabbed his things and ran out the door. I have to get my niece. She deserves to be with her family, to have a normal life. I have to get her away from Lyle, that murderer. How could they allow him to keep her. Even the centre isn’t that dumb. He killed her father. Why? Jarod jumped in the car and disappeared into the night, his thoughts echoing in his wake.

********

Lyle and Stia’s Home

Goodnight Stia’, Lyle said with sarcasm. We’ll let’s see that’s about the thirtieth time I’ve said it. Kristia Aliss, do I have to come up there.

No, Stia’ stated quickly.

Jamie, stop freaking out, M.P. shouted. So what if the child gets to bed late. It won’t kill her to sleep in class for a day. She knows it all anyway.

Well Sweetie, I’m gonna leave ya now before your Uncle pitches a fizzy.

Stia’ just burst out in laughter. Hey your not helping. If you keep talking like that I’ll laugh the whole night away and never get to sleep.

Night Sky, Parker said as she closed the door.

Night, Love you.

I love you too, Parker said ernestly, see you tommorrow.

Stia’ lay down and snuggled in for the night, as m.p. shut the door.

******

Downstairs


She’s in for the night.

Sure you don’t wanna stay sis? I know you feel safer here .

Uhh, I don’t know.

Oh, come on. I know you don’t want to admit but those dreams of yours are far less severe when you’re not alone.

Well it would be nice to have some company for once. She raised her eye brows twice and gave him a deviant smile, can’t seem to get any good male companionship lately.

Hey, Lyle backed up. I’m your brother remember.

Ha,hahahahaha. Parker was practically rolling on the floor laughing.

Lyle was less amused.

Oh common, lil’bro. Have a sense of humor. It’s great terrorizing you.

Yeah, well I guess if I could get it to work the other way around, it’d be fine. Lyle shrugged, I can never seem to pull the wool over your eyes anymore.

Parker became serious and walked up to lyle. That’s because I know who you really are. I can’t believe you when you say you’d do the things you joke about.

Oh, Lyle said.

You know, Jamie, I’m glad I have you for a brother. And I am glad that you really aren’t who you pretend to be.

Jamie starts to feel a little timid. Only she can to that to me he thought amused. Why?

Because I need you and I always have. I love you lil’ bro.

I love you too, Andi.

Oh, and if you ever say that in front of another living being, I’ll kill you.

Lyle laughed. Whatever.

*********

Two hours later

Jarod slowly opened the back door of Lyle’s house. He stealthfully waltzed through the kitchen. As he neared the living room he almost cried out and did fall over in shock. There lay Miss Parker and Lyle sleeping comfortable on the foldout couch. The tv still blarring in front of them made him realize that they must have fell asleep during a tv show. The ending credits of Philly crossed the screen as he crept across the living room. Okay so I see there relationship has improved, he mummured to himself as he began up the stairs. When he reached the top, he saw a beautiful yellow, pink, and blue sign. The name Stia’ written delicately across it in Lyle’s handwriting.

He slowly opened the door to find an extravagently decorated room. Lyle’s really putting on a good show, Jarod said to himself. As his eyes scaned the room, they feel upon the bed. In it lay a small figure slumbering quitely underneath a large bundle of covers. Jarod approached quitely and sat on the corner of the mattress. She’s so beautiful he thought. My brother’s daughter, she looks exactly like him. The same gorgeous dark hair, only extremely long. Same face shape, everything. He imagined that her eyes were also of the same sparkling blue that he had grown accustom to seeing in his brother. The poor child, Jarod thought sadly, she will never know her father. But at least she can be with the rest of her family. I will always love you , he spoke to Stia’ softly. He had decided early on that it would be better for him to take her while she slept. He would explain everything when they were a safe distance away. He grimaced as he thought of all the things Lyle could have done to her. As he picked her up carefully, he vowed that any harm or pain Lyle had caused her, besides the obvious., he would repay in full. Wrapping the sheets tighter around her small body, he crept back down the stairs. Stia’ stirred softly, Uncle Jamie….she feel back to sleep feeling safe in the warm comforting arms of her uncle, her real uncle. Jarod back tracked towards the kitchen and out the back door. He sat her down In the passengers seat of the car and headed out quickly towards the way he came. He believed his last position would be safe for another week, or two at the most. As he drove he watched her sleep, so beautiful, so innocent. I’m glad one of us in this family is a sound sleeper.


*****

30 minutes later

Lyle shot up in the foldout. He had a strange feeling in the pit of his stomach. Looking around he thought,well everything appears normal. He got out of the bed, making sure he recovered Parker, and headed upstairs to check on Krisita. He had been doing this since the first night she got there. At first he was afraid she would escape but it quickly grew into true concern for her. As he opened the door he was shocked to see her and her bed coverings missing. He just stood their for a moment while the fearful realization registered in his mind. Stia’ he called out weakly….. No answer. Stia, louder this time. Still now answer. He began to look frantically. He ran down stairs and woke Parker. Andi, she’s gone….I can’t….where is she…I need…….what if someone took her…Raines…?

Jamie calm down. Have you searched the house?

Yes. She’s gone. Parker what if someone took her? What if she’s hurt? What if she needs me?

Calm down. We’ll find her. Just then they glanced up to see a red notebook sitting on top of the tv.

Jarod!!! They exclaimed.

**********

630 the next morning
Jarod’s hide out


Stia awoke to unfamiliar sounds. Fear spread through her as she realized that she didn’t know where she was. She glanced around the room and caught site of the long masculine form sleeping on the couch. She realized that it was the same man from her Aunt P’s picture. Who is he? She pondered to herself as she crawled out of the bed. I don’t know but I’m getting out of here. School starts in 2 hours. Uncle Jamie will be worried to death if I’m not back soon. How did I get her? Did he take me? Why am I still in my pj’s? Huh, she huffed I don’t even have a pair of shoes. She made a b-line for the door. The knob creaked as she turned it . Jarod instantly sat up on the couch. Stia spun around as she heard him stir. They locked eyes for a moment and then she tried in vain to open the door. Jarod arose and grabbed it , slamming it shut. Stia’ ran to the other side of the room and sunk into the corner. Who are you? She exclaimed, the fear showing in her voice.

Jarod’s heart sank as he realized how afraid she she was. Don’t be afraid I’m not gonna hurt you. I know it must have been strange waking up here, I wish there was a better way. You were sleeping so soundly I just decided to explain everything to you this morning.

Who are you, she asked again a little less fear show in her voice. She’d been taking lessons from Parker.

My name is Jarod. I’m your uncle.

My uncle? but I don’t have any family. My Daddy’s dead and my Mom’s …..well…. she got seperated from us when I was just a baby.

Kristia I know it’s hard for you to understand but I am your uncle, please believe me.

Stia’ looked into his eyes and saw the truth. For a moment she became him and new he would never cause her, nor anyone else, even the smallest amount of pain.

Jarod sat back down on the couch and watched her for what seemed to him like an eternity. Slowly she arose from the corner. She sat on the opposite side of the couch, still feeling a little skiddish. Uncle Jarod? she said slowly.

Jarod’s face lit up in a huge smile, tears welling up in his eyes. Yes sweetheart?

Why didn’t I ever hear of you before?

******

Two hours later

Jarod sat comfortable on the couch, his niece sprawled out asleep in his lap. He had only got to tell her about how he meet her father when she began to nod off. 15 minutes later she was out cold. He had been just holding her, making up for all the time they had missed. Slowly he moved her back to the bed. He was so glad she trusted him. He loved having a niece. He slowly pulled the covers up and tucked her in the best he could, he had only seen it done on tv shows. Uncle Jarod, Stia’ said sleeply.

Yes Kristia.

Please call me Stia’ everyone does. Uncle Jamie came up with it.

Sweetheart what do you mean by Uncle Jamie?

As Stia started to drift back asleep, Jarod decided to leave it alone for now. He could get his answers later.
She needed her rest and he needed to see what was up with his favorite stooges.

***********

The centre

Daddy, Miss Parker and Lyle burst into their father’s office.

Last night jarod took stia from Lyle’s house.

Uhh, I want them found, now! The technicians believe that they were making headway with the girl. She is our only bait for jarod. Lyle how did you let this happen?

Lyle clenched his fist and kept his jaw tightly shut.

Seeing his response parker reached over and stroked the inside of his arm gently. Daddy it wasn’t Lyle’s fault. We all know how slippery Jarod can be.

I want them back now!

Parker and Lyle both left the office.

Parker I need to talk to you. They crept outside.

I can’t keep her here. She’ll never be more to him than a project. Parker, I love her. I know that’s hard to believe, his eyes filling with tears , but I do. She’s the closest thing I’ll ever have to a child. I can’t see him ruin her life like he has done to yours. But I can’t……

Sensing what he was going to say, she reached out and embraced him… shhh. She soothed . It’s going to be okay. We’ll think of a way for her to be with you and not be in danger. Don’t worry.

Do you think it’s time we let Syd and Broots in on our secret, Lyle asked trying to recover.

I don’t know. Let’s wait and see what happens. For now just keep acting, we can’t afford for our cover to be blown. I know we can trust them but now may not be the right time.

Come on she said, rubbing his shoulders, let’s get back inside and see what’s up.

If Jarod is truly the one who took her, he’s bound to call.

******

Jarod Search Central

Hello Sydney, Jarod said into the cell phone.

Jarod, nice to hear from you again.

Why didn’t you tell me I had a niece?

Jarod I couldn’t tell you. You now they are always watching. The child is safe,I asure you. How did you find out about her? Sydney didn’t see any point in denying it. He had long since discovered that lying to his protégé always seemed to make things worse.

That’s for me to know, Jarod said agitatedly. And yes she is safe, at least now she is.

Jarod, do you have Stia’?

You now syd. It’s sad that you started calling her that before me. I can’t believe you didn’t tell me. Yes she’s with me.

Jarod, it told you I’m sorry

Right, your always sorry, Jarod stated bitterly.

Jarod…

Just then lyle and parker entered.

Is that Jarod? Put him on speaker, parker ordered.

Jarod where are you? How dare you take Kristia?

Parker, Parker, Parker. First of all, if I told you it wouldn’t be any fun. Oh, and I’m so glad to see that you and Lyle are getting along better. Syd and broots exchanged confused glances. Secondly, what do you mean how dare I take her?? She’s my Niece! My flesh and blood that has been hid from me for the past 10 years of her life. Neither of us will ever be going back there.

Jarod where is she? Can I talk to her? Lyle asked trying with all his might to cover the deep love he felt for the girl.

Jarod’s anger grew at this. Lyle I would never have hurt my own niece. You had better pray you haven’t hurt her more that I already know or I’ll be coming for you myself. You can be sure of that.

I would never hurt Stia’, Lye exclaimed.Parker reached over and took his arm, trying to restrain his emotions that were about to flow.

Lyle , Lyle I hate to break it to you. But when you kill someone’s parent it does hurt them.

Jarod you know that was an accident.

Oh, do I know. That shot seemed quite deliberate to me.

It was aimed for you. I didn’t even want to kill you, just shut you up.

They two argued on untill Parker interjected.

I hate to end this but Jarod you need to know something.

Oh, and what’s that Miss Parker?

Stia’ doesn’t know what happened to Kyle. She knows he’s dead but not how it happened. It would kill her if she found out. A young child of that age doesn’t need a load that heavy to carry.

I am well aware of her abilities, Jarod interjected. I will not keep the truth from her.

Jarod, lyle exclaimed.

It was too late the line went dead.

Don’t worry Lyle . Parker said comfortingly as she lead him to the couch, he meant that he would tell her but not now. Not until she’s much older and able to understand.

I know Parker, but I never wanted her to know the truth… If only I could change it. He buried his face in his hands as he sank to the couch beneath him.

Syd and Broots sat dumbfounded.

Lyle and Parker exchanged glances and confirmed that now was the right time. She head over to Broots. Broots, he was on the line a long time. Did you get a trace?

Yes, but… whose to say it’s the real location. Remember when..

Broots shut up. There’s a chance it could be authentic. That was years ago. Let’s go she stated. The whole team followed her out the door.

Once they boarded the plane, making sure it was a private commercial jet not the Centre’s, they explained everything. Broots and Sydney were shocked but there reactions grew into joy.

I knew there was more to it, Syd. stated smiling happily at Lyle, then Parker. He was proud of them both.
I just wish you would of told us sooner.

**************

Two months later

Uncle Jarod, where are we going this time? Stia was happy to be on the road. She loved traveling.

Jarod glanced at her as she hung halfway out the window, We’re going back to Blue Cove for a little visit.

Sita’ got excited. Do I get to see Uncle Jamie?

Jarod stomach tossed at her enthusiasm. He learned right after there telephone call that, that’s what she had been calling Lyle. Laughing to himself, he thought back to when Stia’ told him what she called Parker….Aunt P! It would be great to bring up on a chat the next time they spoke. He had been keeping minimal contact with the Centre. Having a child on the run with you can provide some challenges.

No Stia’ were not going to see him, I just have to check on something there. I’ll be leaving you with friends just out of town. He discovered that the Centre had information on where his family was, but he had to get in to find out. Knowing full well it could be a trap, he wanted to be sure that Stia’ was safe and well out of there grasp.

Oh, Stia’ said reluctantly, bringing Jarod out of his thoughts. I just really miss him. He was good to me uncle J. He knew I was a pretender and everything and he helped me hide it.

I still don’t understand that one, Jarod muttered.

What?

Nothing sweetheart.

They drove on in silence as Stia’ switched radio stations.
Oh, this child’s choices in music jarod thought amusingly to himself. He didn’t want to admit it but he was beginning to enjoy it as well. He would never tell her though. It’s fun letting her think it annoys me and I think she enjoys tormenting me with it.

*********

The centre sl-26

Is he ready? Raines stated.

Yes Mr. Raines, Willie replied.

We’ll break him yet.. Raines wheezed… and then we’ll break his brother.

Is everything ready for his arrival?

Yes Sir, the men are already in place sir.

Good he smirked devishly.

Let’s get on with it.

***********

Daniel and Lee’s house

Come on Sweetheart, let go. I’ll come back, I promise. Jarod stood at the door trying to ensure Stia’. It broke his heart to see her like this but he had to go.

No. That’s the same thing Daddy said. He was gone for two years and then the men came and took me to the Centre. I never saw him again. Please don’t leave me.

The realization hit Jarod. So that’s how it happened. He had wanted to ask but never felt it was the right time. He had wondered why she was so afraid of losing him. Everytime he was out of sight she was worried and overwhelmingly happy when she found out he was okay. Sweetheart it won’t happen that way this time. I will come back, please trust me. I’m not leaving you. Now one could ever make me leave you.
I think I have found a link to our family, knowing that without telling her this she’d never let him go. I have to go there to get the information.

Please don’t go she exclaimed. It could be a trap.

I know Kristia, but If I don’t go we’ll never know. This may be our only chance.

It’s alright, all I need is you. She grabbed on tighter.

Jarod almost bawled at her last statement.

He pulled her back and bent down to her level. Stia’ you deserve to have a family. I will come back. I will. I love you Sweetheart and I would never leave you.

She still didn’t want him to go but she realized, as he did, there was no other way.

I love you Uncle Jarod. She hugged him tightly. Tighter that she’d ever embraced anyone before.

I love you too sweetheart, always.

Jarod drove down the dirt road waving as the car disappeared into the horizon.

Stia’ chased the care waving as long as she could before she stooped down in the middle off the road, tears streaming down her face. Please come back. Please! She cried. Daniel walked to the young girl and picked her up, carrying her lovingly back into the house.

For along time Daniel and Lee just sat there, rocking Stia’ in silence. She seemed so innocent. How could one child experience so much hurt. They knew all too well what happened to Jarod. They were the second people that he meet. They helped him get on his feet in life, so to say. Stia’ finally feel asleep in there arms.
As daniel carried her to the guest bedroom lee said, I’m glad Jarod is finally on the road to finding his family. Daniel layed her down and watched as Lee tucked her in. I know honey. I just hope he gets to keep them.

*******************

The centre sub-lever 25, corrodor9

Down there the sweepers shouted. Jarod stop!

He briskfully ran down the corrodor looking for an means of escape, knowing that it would proove in vain.

So dumb, he scolded himself. Why didn’t I realize that this was a trap. It’s the only level with one entry and exit.

As he turned the hall he heard the sound of a gunshot and a sharp pain pierce through his side. He immediately sunk to the ground. By the time he found his strength again it was all too late. The sweepers surrounded him, joined by a overjoyed Raines. …Welcome back to the Centre Jarod… everything grew black.

*************

The next day

Raines peared into the cell that Jarod now inhabited.

Have his wounds …..been stabilized?

Yes sir. Willie stated.

Good….prepare the room….he should be strong enough to go through the retraining program tommorrow.
Watch him closely…we already know what he’s capable off…..don’t underestimate him. I want no mistakes.

Yes sir, Willie aknoledged.

******

Jarod lay on his cot thinking. Uh, I can’t believe I was so blind. At least Stia’s safe. He cringed as he thought about his promise to her. I will come back, I will. I’ll look for my chance to escape and I’ll take it. I’ll find a way back to you He winced in pain as he tried to turn to his side, unsuccessfully. He stilled himself on the thin bedding trying to rest. After a few minutes he heard faint sounds. He listened strainingly tyring to make out the voices.


Kyle was shoved back into his cell, you’ll never break me he stated weakly. He sank down defensively into the corner of the room. We’ll see about that……Raines wheezed…I would think you would know better than to defy me Kyle..I guess that’s a lesson you’ve forgotten. But don’t worry, you’ll remember soon enough.

Jaord only heard stray words. Never break me from a faintly familiar voice. Then Raines. We’ll see…..you should know..not to defy me.. Kyle??? Did he say Kyle? he listened intently but the conversation ended he heard Raines oxygen tank roll closer and decided to feign sleep.

Raines entered the room and checked Jarod. “ Asleep…Raines wheeezed.” It would be amusing for him to find Kyle here, he smirked to himself. How unfortunate he will never know. Raines walked back out the room. “Make sure you keep them seperated they must never know of each other. We can handle them seperately but together they’d be too much. Make sure they both eat… Kyle’s looking a little too pale, even for my taste”.. and with that he left the corridor.

Kyle?// He’s alive?!! Oh, thankyou God, I knew you were listening. Thankyou. He’s alive! Jarod stated to himself. Now Stia’ can have a father. I just have to think of a way to get us outta here.

***********

Daniel and lee’s

Did Uncle Jarod call? She asked as she raced into the dining room.

No Sweetheart not yet. But don’t worry he said it’d probably be a day or two.

I’m going back out to play. And with that she was gone.

You have to give the child credit, Daniel laughed, she adjusts rather easily.

Yes she does Honey, Lee agreed, she’s still terrible worried. She’s trying so hard be brave. At times I wonder how she can act so beyond her years, and I’ve only known her for a day!

Honey, Jarod said she’s special, just like him.

I just hope they all get a chance to be happy, God knows they deserve it.

Husband and wife stood at the back porch watching their little guest play with the animals. I’m glad we could help them. Me too hon, me too.

***********

Parker’s office

Lyle walked slumly into the office

No word, Parker asked caringly.

No. he stated sadly. It had been almost two months and it was obvious that it was becoming increasingly harder for Lyle to function without revealing his true feelings.

Parker hugged him compationatly, feeling the feelings that only a twin can know. She’s fine Jamie, she whispers softly in his ear, Jarod would never put her in danger. Iknow he whispers back, I know.

***********

Three days later

Willie and the other sweepers half dragged, half carried Jarod out of the reentry room. He was extremely week from the gunshot wound and the retraining, not to mention the beating he took to keep Stia’s location conciled. Walking was no longer an option. They finally gave up, or at least for now. They calliously deposit him on the bed. Jarod immediately turned to face the wall. Raines walked in.

Well, he said confidently, I’m glad to see that you’ve gained some respect during your stay with us.

Jarod moaned against the wall. it wasn’t respect but rather a lack of energy that kept him from thrashing out. I hope Kyle’s okay. Stia’s, poor Stia’. She’s probably worried sick.

Raines words to Willie pulled him out of his thought. Give him the day tommorrow and if necessary the day after……..I’m afraid that if we push him more now…..it could damage him permanently…he is far to weak to continue at this point. Keep me informed.

He wheeled out of the corridor, to Jarod’s delight.

Kyle listened intently to Raines words.I knew that hadn’t slacked off on me without a reason. I hope Jarod will be okay. He twisted his wedding band lovingly. It becoming harder and harder for me to keep any one in my family safe. Kristia, my poor little girl. She probably thinks I’m dead by now. Raines and his insolant bragging. Lyle better have not hurt her, or he’ll deal with me. I have to try and save my strength so we can get out of here. God help me, he prayed, I don’t know how we’ll pull it off.



Feedback please : Skydaybreak@yahoo.com