Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See chapter one

~~~~~~~

Turn Evil Into Good
Part 9


Moving on


Jarod kept a firm grasp on himself throughout the day.

It went by without any more frightening scenes. Nevertheless, the calmness that had set in over the course of the last day before the incident on SL-24 never returned on their way through the Centre today.

At first, Jarod had a hard time fighting the demons and panic attacks that lurked around every corner, later he relaxed at least somewhat.

Both Parker and Ethan kept a suspicious eye on the pretender.

Only with iron self-discipline was Jarod able to endure the day and to keep himself going. So, when they were back in Dover in the hotel room Jarod was completely worn out.

Andy flew into his arms, the moment Jarod set a foot into the hotel room and Jay let out a sigh of relief and came over to hug his brother.

These demonstrations of concern touched Jarod and reassured him that there were people who were important to him and whom he was important to.

“Thank God you are ok. You gave us some fright,” Jay whispered into Jarod’s ear when the brothers hugged.

Jarod breathed deeply and returned the hug. “I know. Sorry,” he replied with regret in his voice.

Just then, Andy demanded Jarod’s attention again by tugging at his pant’s leg.

Jarod drew away from his brother and reached down to scoop the little boy up in his arms.

“Hey my boy. Have you been good while I was away?” he asked softly. The boy bobbed his head up and down emphatically and Jarod smiled. “That’s good.”

“How about we order room service instead of going out for Dinner?” Jay asked judging the fatigue on Jarod’s face.

His brother shot him a look of gratitude and the others nodded in approval. The last forty-eight hours had been difficult for all of them.

Over the course of Dinner, Jarod relaxed a great deal. The tension that had held his body captive slowly left in the small circle of people that was around him, yet the tiredness multiplied.

They had informed the rest of the clan in Canada about the general developments, all the while effectively hiding last night’s events.

It would have only brought upheaval and anxiety into the group about Jarod’s state. Jarod had asked the others not to pass it around because he wanted to avoid that and everybody had agreed.

Another reason for concealing it had been that Jarod didn’t want to answer the questions that would arise about his well being. He didn’t feel strong enough to go through assuring the others time after time that he was ok. Everything he wanted was to go to bed and sleep.

They all retired early that evening. The next day held another expedition through Centre grounds. They had reached SL-11 today and wanted to get a look on the remaining sublevels.

Though Jarod still felt wary, he knew that he had done the right thing. Tucking his tail and trying to sit tight until anything happened that would get him into Centre walls again wouldn’t have brought them any further.

He had needed to face and overcome his fear just as he had supposed. The fact that he had done so gave him a satisfying feeling and some sense of victory over the facility that had nearly destroyed his life so many times. It had also meant a victory over himself.

He had succeeded over his demons.

Parker, Ethan and Jay had seen the subtle changes in Jarod’s behaviour during the evening.

Once Jarod had had the possibility to think about today’s events, he had made a somewhat more secure and content impression.

Parker had to admit that returning to the Centre so soon had indeed been the right thing to do. She had been very sceptical after finding Jarod the way she had but it had turned out to be right.

Maybe now that he had faced his fiend he was able to slowly build something new out of the ashes of the place that had haunted his dreams for so long.

She knew that it would haunt him for some more time but maybe healing had set in.

~~~~~~~

“Well Danny, we will consider everything we saw the last days and make plans then. The moment we come up with a direction we want this adventure to take, we will send information to you and the other agents involved,” Jarod shook Danny’s hand firmly.

“Good. Thanks for letting me tag along the last few days. I’m sure that it wasn’t just what you had planned,” he smiled apologetically.

“Don’t worry about that,” Jarod shook his head.

“I’m sure you have seen more than you had ever wanted to see?!?” Parker half stated and half asked, quirking an eyebrow.

Danny’s expression changed into one of dismay and he nodded.

“Don’t worry; we will make sure to swipe the place. It won’t keep the dark prospect it held for all these years,” Parker said firmly and let herself be hugged gently from Danny.

“I know,” he said aloud and then added silently, only for Parker to hear: “Keep an eye on Jarod, will ya?”

Parker smiled reassuringly when he drew away and winked with a conspirator-like smile.

“Say Danny, when do you think will all these reporters take off?” Ethan asked with a nod into the general direction of the vultures that lingered just outside the building, waiting for them to show up.

Danny’s eyebrows rose and he drew his shoulders up. “As soon as there is a better story, I suppose.”

“Or after we officially claim the Centre ours,” Jarod added.

“It is more likely that the trouble will begin afterwards,” Parker grunted.

“I didn’t mean that they won’t come back then but they will leave to write a devastating article for their papers after that announcement,” Jarod intoned, a small smile gracing his lips.

“That’s more like it,” Danny agreed.

“At least we can’t complain about not having enough media attention,” Ethan half joked.

“And it’s not as if we couldn’t do without,” Parker said.

“True,” Jarod admitted and reached for Parker’s hand. She swiftly placed hers in his outstretched one.

Danny grinned. “Shall we go?” he asked and turned around to lead the way to the door.


To be continued…