Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See chapter one

~~~~~~~

Turn Evil Into Good
Part 5


Shock and Frustration


“What do you mean gone?” Ethan questioned.

“I don’t know. I chased him through a whole lot of corridors but suddenly, when I rounded a corner…,” she gasped, “he was gone. I searched the area but I couldn’t find him. Ethan, where can he be?” Parker asked anxiously.

Ethan closed his eyes and breathed deeply. His forehead wrinkled in concentration but he couldn’t make out any words the voices screamed into his head. He shook his head sadly. “I don’t know.”

“Is it possible to access other levels without the elevator?” Danny asked, coming up behind them.

Parker snivelled. “Yes, of course. There are the stairs for once and then there are always the air vents,” she turned back to her half-brother, “damn Ethan, besides Angelo, Jarod knows the air vents best of all possible persons. If he is in there, we won’t find him.”

“Wait, Parker. Calm down,” Ethan hushed her and drew her close.

“Is there a place inside of the Centre, where Jarod might have felt secure?” Danny questioned further.

Parker frowned and then balled her fists. “Maybe the simlab or his room or Sydney’s office but I don’t think so.”

“It’s a start,” Danny said. “Lead the way, Miss Parker.”

~~~~~~~

“Nothing,” Parker breathed.

Ethan nodded. He had already anticipated that Jarod wouldn’t be here.

Parker sat down on the pretender’s old bed and put her face in her hands. “Where can he be?” she looked up at Ethan once more. “Where can he be?” she whispered again.

Ethan shook his head and raised his arms, indicating that he had no idea.

“What was down the in that lab that brought that kind of a reaction?” Parker sat up.

Before Ethan or Danny could reply something, she had already gotten up from the bed and brushed past them, back towards the elevator to get down to SL-24.

The ride down was spent in silence. Each person was left alone with its own musings.

Parker strode through the hallways with Ethan and Danny following her.

Reaching the door, she drew it open forcefully and grimaced at the sight.

The lab was very functional. There were some shelves, a cupboard and a desk with an office chair. But what caught Parker’s attention was the chair that stood in the middle of the room.

She moved into the room to inspect.

The chair could be transformed into different positions, from sitting upright to lying flat like on a table. What made her gasp though were the straps attached to the chair; straps to fasten a person in the chair.

There were several bunches of straps; down on wrist height, upper arm, torso, legs and one for the head.

Parker shuddered and a tear rolled down her cheek. She turned forcefully towards Ethan. “What have they done?” she accused.

Ethan swallowed at the look of utter despair and pain on his sister’s face.

He moved towards her to take her in his arms but Parker backed away, putting her hands up in a defensive gesture. Ethan hung his head. Then he heard his mother whispering that she needed some time to cope with this, before he could help her. He sighed.

~~~~~~~

Ethan and Parker stumbled back into the hotel room where they had left Jay and Andrew in the morning.

Jay looked up and clenched his jaw at the distraught faces, quickly assessing the situation. Parker was beyond speaking and Ethan looked shocked and worn out.

“What happened?” Jay uttered through clenched teeth.

Nothing

“Where is Jarod?” Jay groused darkly when he didn’t get a reply.

“We don’t know,” Ethan admitted. “Something happened down on one of the sublevels and he took flight.”

“Something happened?” Jay asked. “Could you please be a little more precise?” he got up from his seat and stepped up to his brother.

“Where is Andy?” Parker looked around, as if noticing that they were back in the hotel room for the first time.

“He is in the other bedroom. It’s late and he was tired,” Jay nodded towards the room.

“Go on, Mel, go to him,” Ethan encouraged.

Parker moved over to the bedroom in trance and vanished behind the door.

Jay turned towards Ethan again. “Ok, so now can you please tell me what the hell happened?”

~~~~~~~

“Goodness, why didn’t you call?” Jay asked after Ethan had told him what had happened down on SL 24 and afterwards.

“Because we were busy with trying to find him and not even thinking about calling you. Plus you couldn’t have done anything, anyway,” Ethan reminded his brother.

Jay grumbled quietly.

“What if something happened to him?” Parker’s voice floated over to the men from the bedroom.

Ethan and Jay both turned.

“No,” Jay shook his head. “No, he is not hurt, at least not physically.”

“How do you know?” Parker swallowed.

Jay smiled slightly but he quickly sobered again. “You know, I have some sort of connection to Jarod. It’s kind of a bond. I knew that something had happened today before you came back but I couldn’t get a hold on you via cell phone,” Jay explained.

“A bond?” Ethan asked.

“Yeah,” Jay smiled. “We both can somehow feel the other one. I knew when he was hurt those few weeks back the same way I knew that something happened today,” he paused. “Hell, don’t ask me why and how it works but I know that he is not physically harmed,” Jay stated.

Parker breathed somewhat relieved and also Ethan relaxed a bit.

“And what do we do now? How can we find him?” Parker questioned.

“That’s the problem. Most certainly we won’t be able to find him,” Jay said. “Parker, you know that best of all. If Jarod doesn’t want to be found, he won’t be found!”

“We can’t make him go through that alone,” she argued.

“But we can’t do anything, Mel. Jay is right. We will have to wait,” Ethan objected.

Parker moaned and sat down on the couch. “Yeah, I know but I don’t want it to be true,” she whispered.


To be continued…