Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part one

~~~~~~~

Turn Evil Into Good
Part 13


Everything is settling down; even the last missing pieces


“Sam, I need the files we spoke about now,” Parker looked up at her former personal sweeper when he entered the office.

“I have them right here,” Sam replied and produced some papers from out of a folder. He reached out and gave the papers to her.

“Thanks,” she smiled easily at him.

Sam nodded curtly and then turned to Jarod, who was sitting at his desk. Even though Parker’s office was just next to Jarod’s, they could more often be found working together in his than each of them alone in their own ones. They both liked working in the same room and so Parker’s office was more or less only used when she had an appointment that she would do alone without Jarod.

“Jarod, I think there is a flaw in security,” Sam said, addressing as much to Jarod as to Parker.

Jarod looked up at the burly ex-sweeper. He tilted his head, asking the man to go on with the gesture.

“Chris and I worked on a minor system problem but it turns out that there is a patch in the software that can easily morph into a bigger problem if not tended,” Sam explained.

“Did you show this to Broots, already?” Parker asked.

Sam turned to her. “No, he was busy with some other program for one of the pharmacological projects,” Sam shook his head.

“Ethan, will you come over for a moment, please?” Jarod called through the door to the adjoining office of their brother.

Ethan entered the main office only seconds later. “Hi Sam,” he easily greeted the head of security.

“Ethan,” Sam welcomed him warmly with a nod of his head and a bright smile.

“Ethan, Sam tells us that there is a security risk in one of the systems,” Jarod addressed to his younger brother.

“Can we get Broots on it?” Ethan asked.

Parker shook her head. “He is busy writing another program for one of the research groups.”

“Well, maybe Jay, Jarod or I should get a look on it then,” Ethan suggested.

Jarod nodded. “Do you think it’s a grave problem that needs to be looked at right away or can we leave it hanging until Broots is available?” Jarod questioned, looking at the table full of papers and files in front of him.

“It might not be that pressing, I mean it’s not like there are people around trying to get our necks anymore but I think sometime in the next few days we should get that thing done,” Sam voiced his opinion.

Jarod pushed the intercom button. “Sally, would you please give Mr. Broots a call and ask him how much time he will need with writing the program he is working on right now?”

“Sure thing,” Sally’s voice flowed over the line.

“You said a few days?” Jarod asked, looking at Sam who nodded.

“Ok, let’s see when Broots would be able to do it otherwise Jay and I will tend that problem tomorrow. He isn’t here today so tomorrow will have to do. Anything else that could be a problem?”

“No, not at the moment,” Sam shook his head.

“Good,” Parker sighed. “Now that everything finally settles down for real, we can start concentrating entirely on bringing the ship forward and not only making one small step forward and then pausing to extinguish a fire that was still burning from the last administration.”

“Yeah, it’s really about time that everything starts to get easier. It’s been nearly three months since we started and I’m really tired of playing fire-fighter while trying to get on with the company,” Jarod said and rubbed a hand over his eyes.

“Sir, Mr. Broots says that he can always make some time if it is important one of these days,” Sally’s voice beamed out of the speaker.

Jarod reached for the button. “Thank you, Sally.” He looked up expectantly, awaiting comments.

“Let Broots do it, we have enough to do here. This contract just came in and the pile there needs to get looked through as well,” Ethan spoke up.

“Ok, Sam. Would you mind making the arrangements with Broots directly?” Parker asked him.

“No, of course not,” Sam smiled.

“Ok, then I think we have everything for now, do we?” Parker asked the people in the room.

When Jarod, Sam and Ethan nodded, she smiled and then Sam turned and left the office.

“Ah, Sam, keep us up to date, will ya?” Parker called out before he closed the door.

“Sure thing,” Sam nodded and then shut the door behind him.

Parker leaned back in her office chair and closed her eyes. Jarod got up from his seat and walked over to her, coming to stand behind her chair. He put his hands on her shoulders and Parker drew a breath at his touch and relaxed.

“Hey, what about we call it a day earlier than usual? It’s been a hard time since all this started and we didn’t have so much as a break from then on,” Jarod suggested.

Parker shook her head. “I know but we will have to get some things done before that. These contracts need to be looked through. Now that business is finally starting to roll, we have to start that.”

“I know but it’s Friday after all. Maybe we should take the time and head into the weekend to start the new things early on Monday,” he tried to pursue her.

Parker stretched. “Let’s see how far I get with this one and then we can talk about it again.”

Jarod chuckled. “Ok, then we will come home tonight the normal time; midnight or later,” he sighed theatrically.

Parker grumbled lightly what made Jarod chuckle even louder. He leaned down and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

There was a knock on the office door and, the doors swung open, revealing Sydney.

The old psychiatrist’s face lit up when he caught Jarod and Parker in that embrace, like it always did when he observed such intimate moments.

“Ah, Sydney,” Jarod smiled up at his former mentor.

“Hello you two, hi Ethan,” Sydney greeted lightly.

“Anything important or is this a friendly visit?” Parker grinned already anticipating a new problem.

“No, nothing out of order. I just had to get out of my office. There is a small break in my schedule and I decided that I needed to get away from my patients for a short time,” Sydney replied. “I met Sam hurrying in the other direction. Is there something wrong?”

“Nothing grave. Sam discovered a slight security risk and he is on his way to ask Broots when he will be able to tend that problem,” Parker informed Sydney.

“Ah,” the older man mumbled.

There was a soft rustle and Parker and Jarod looked up to the air vent to see a pair of eyes lurking out of them.

“Hey, Angelo,” Parker greeted and got up to walk over to the vents opening.

Angelo got out of the tunnel and grinned at her.

“Angelo, you can stop crawling through the vents now, you know?” she smiled at his expression.

”Angelo knows,” the empath’s head bobbed up and down and the smile widened.

Jarod grinned and also walked over to his old friend to hug him. “You still like it in there, don’t you?”

The man’s head bobbed again in confirmation. He then crocked his head to his side and frowned. “Friend… happy,” he smiled.

Jarod’s smile widened. “Yes, Angelo. I am,” he said.

“Even happier soon,” Angelo grinned.

Jarod’s smile turned into a frown. “Even happier, Angelo?”

Angelo chuckled. “Surprise. Big surprise,” he murmured and the turned back to enter the vents.

Jarod watched Angelo disappear. “Ahm, what was that?” he turned towards the others, who had equally puzzled faces. “Can anyone of you tell me what he meant?”

There was a collective shake of heads.

Jarod’s frown deepened and he went over to his desk and sat down, plunging the room into silence.

“He could have been a little more precise,” Jarod grumbled.

The intercom buzzed and Sally announced that Sydney’s secretary had just called to have her sent Sydney back down for his two thirty was there.

So Sydney quickly left the group pondering and soon Ethan, Parker and Jarod were back to working on the files that piled upon their desks.

At least Ethan and Parker were working. Jarod on the other hand was still trying to find an explanation for Angelo’s statement and so he didn’t really get on with his work.

The surprise Angelo had announced was to arrive later that noon and thrust Jarod as well as the rest of the family into a new wave of happiness.

~~~~~~~

“Can I help you?” the clerk asked politely.

The person swivelled around and came face to face with the woman behind the counter. “Well… I hope so. I would like to talk to one of your chairmen… Jarod Roke,” came the shy response.

“Do you have an appointment?” the clerk questioned.

“N-no. I thought it…”

“Ok. No problem,” the woman tried to reassure the person opposite. “I will give his secretary a call and ask if he has time. Do you come from a firm,” she probed and then saw the negative shake of the head. She frowned.

“But… oh, please. I have to talk to him.”

“Ok. Let me make that phone call. Would you please sit down over there?” she pointed towards the comfortable looking chairs in the lobby.

~~~~~~~

“Jarod?”

“Yes, Sally,” Jarod answered the intercom call.

“There is obviously someone down in the lobby who wants to talk to you,” Sally announced.

“Who?” Jarod asked.

“I don’t know,” the secretary answered truthfully. “But it seems to be very urgent. Do you have time? The next meeting is in a little under one hour.”

“Yeah, send him or her up,” Jarod shrugged and ended the connection.

“Do you think that’s wise?” Parker asked.

Jarod looked over to her and frowned.

“I mean without knowing who that is. I don’t think Sam would approve of that,” she shook her head.

“I have you here. You are faster with getting your gun out than anyone else around here,” Jarod grinned and wiggled his eyebrows, making Parker chuckle.

“Shall I give Sam a call?” she asked nonetheless.

“No, let him be. He has more serious things to tend and I’m sure if that person was dangerous he would already know it. One of his men would have called him,” Jarod shook his head.

Parker grunted but didn’t argue further.

Some minutes later, there was a knock on the door and when it opened, Sally’s head appeared in the crack. Jarod waved for her to go on and bring the mysterious person in.

Sally opened the door further and stepped out of the way, revealing an elder looking woman.

Jarod gasped loudly and flew out of his chair. Parker, too, had a stunned expression on her face. Her eyebrows were high up on her forehead but a small smile started to form on her lips.

“Mom,” Jarod pressed out when he stood directly in front of the woman.

“Oh, Jarod,” Margaret chocked out, a hand flying to her mouth.

That was the only encouragement Jarod needed to make the last step and draw his mother in a tight embrace.

When mother and son drew apart some long moments later, tears were streaming down both their faces.

“Jarod, what is all this about?” Margaret asked through her tears.

Jarod snivelled and rubbed the back of his hand over his eyes. “This is what we have been doing for some months now, Mom,” he said.

“I don’t understand,” Margaret shook her head.

“The old Centre is gone, Mom. There is no more threat from this place. It’s over. And now… now… you are here,” he drew in a shaky breath and hugged his mother once again.

“I still don’t understand,” Margaret said.

Parker silently got up from her seat. “You will in time, Margaret,” she said friendly.

Margaret’s head snapped up and she eyes the woman warily.

“It’s ok, Mom. Melina is not a threat. She is my partner… and my fiancé,” Jarod smiled.

Jarod’s mother gasped. “She hunted you,” Margaret accused.

“Yes, she did but she also helped me to bring the Centre down. She is part of the new head of the Centre. Together with another person I want you to meet… Ethan. Can you come here for a moment?” Jarod called.

When Ethan appeared in the doorway and he saw the woman standing in Jarod’s embrace, there was a frown on his face at first but only moments later, his face lit up when understanding dawned on him. He crossed the room and came to stand in front of the older woman.

“I’m very pleased to meet you, Margaret,” he extended his hand to her.

Jarod’s mother shook it hesitantly and looked towards her son in confusion. “Jarod…”

“Mom, this is Ethan. He’s…,” Jarod broke off and shook his head. “It’s too long a story to tell right away,” he looked up to Parker. “Mel, would you mind… the last appointment?”

“We’ll cancel it!” Parker said firmly. “You should take your mother home, Jar.”

Jarod sighed thankfully and Parker walked out of the office to tell Sally to cancel the last meeting. Jarod turned back to his mother. “Mom, Mel is right. We should take you home. The others would want to know you are ok.”

“The others?” Margaret asked a little anxious.

“Yeah, I think Dad and Em would want to see you,” he smiled when Margaret’s gasp loudly.

“They are here?” Jarod’s mother asked, a hand flying to her mouth and a new wave of tears starting to flow.

“Yes, they are. They helped us a great deal over the last few months. You can stop worrying now, Mom. We are all ok and we are back together,” Jarod reassured his mother.

“Ethan, grab your things. We are out of here!” Parker announced when she re-entered the office and only a few minutes later, the little group was on its way home.


To be continued…


Well, people. We nearly made it. There is only one more chapter left and then this odyssey is over.
Ok, ok, I don’t know how believable it was for Margaret to get to the chairman without an appointment or a firm to back her up. The original idea was to leave you hanging somewhere in between but then I decided against it… lucky you! #smile# Anyway, if you don’t think it likely don’t chew me out, please. It was just more fun this way, having Jarod completely unguarded and without a clue.