Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

BLUE COVE
04/05/1999

Tommy and Miss Parker had spent a wonderful month together. They'd even decided to leave for a couple of days, during a weekend of ostensible calm.

Tommy was so glad that she had accepted to join him for this trip that he called Jarod to tell him the news.

"What?"

"You know, Parker always answers the phone the very same way."

"Thomas! Long time, no see! How's life treating you?"

Jarod knew he was telling him the same words he had told Miss Parker during a phone call he had made almost a year before. There was a certain irony in it.

"Life is amazing, and I owe you for that, Jarod."

Jarod felt happy. He had been trying not to call Thomas too much, and he had noticed his friend's calls had become more occasional, too. That was a good sign.

"How's Miss Parker?"

"She's doing well. But I feel like – she's living in the moment. I always talk about the future, but she seems detached whenever I try to touch the argument."

"Meaning?"

Tommy sighed, "Well, the other day I told her – that I love her."

Once again, Jarod felt his heart burn from beneath.

"What did she say?" he feigned indifference.

"Nothing. Well, she didn't say it back. I don't know if I should worry about that."

Jarod felt a weird feeling of satisfaction when he heard that news. So, Miss Parker hadn't told Thomas that she loved him, yet. Was it just because she wasn't ready or…

'Stop torturing yourself, Jarod!' he thought.

"Miss Parker is just scared, Thomas. I know she loves you, too. She wouldn't have let you inside her life, otherwise."

"Well, remember Mark, the realtor I was in touch with?"

"Yes, I do remember Mark. He's such a boring man!"

Tommy chuckled, "Well, he is, but he just bought the house I've restored."

"Congratulations, buddy!"

"He found me another house to work on. It's in Portland. I would work out there for a while."

"Maine is a lovely state." Jarod replied.

"Portland Oregon." He clarified.

"Oh."

Jarod shut up for a moment. That was something he would have never seen coming. What would Miss Parker do? Would she go with him?

And then Jarod had another revelation.

Miss Parker had to go with him.

It was her chance to be happy. It was her chance of redemption. She could leave The Centre, once and for all. She would be happy. Far from him, sure, but eventually free.

"Buy the house. And ask Miss Parker to go with you."

"What? Are you crazy? She's never gonna leave her family."

"She will, if you convince her."

"I'm never gonna make it, Jarod. You know her. She won't."

"You must try, Tommy. It's not like you've got something to lose."

Tommy was silent. Jarod felt his heart in his throat.

"Yeah. Parker and I are goin' away for the weekend, so we'll talk when we get back."

"Okay, buddy. I'll see you again soon."

"You take care, Jarod."

Jarod hung up.

He'd never been more hopeful in his entire life.

Maybe this time everything would be ok, even for Miss Parker.