Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters in this story do not belong to me, and I’m not making any money out of this. I’m just bored with waiting for the second movie to come out, so I’m doing this to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.
Author’s Note: Thank you to everyone who sent me the wonderful feedback. I hope you enjoy this next part J




Soulwashing
Part 9
By Feline




Miss Parker had only just gotten back to her room when she heard Sydney approach. I should have known he wouldn’t just let it go, she thought mildly. She couldn’t feel anything, like she was anaesthetised. Or something. Sydney’s eyes had confirmed her suspicion that she was well and truly dead.

“ Parker, talk to me” Sydney’s tone was urgent.

She turned to look at him.

“ You of all people should know that there’s nothing left to say.”

He stared at her, not knowing what to do.

She continued.

“ If you want to talk about my feelings, Syd, then they’re currently out of order. If you want to know whether I loved him, then yeah, I did. Maybe I still do. But you saw him. He’s relieved to have been let off the hook, and won’t even pause for breath before getting on with his life.”

Sydney shook his head.

“ I heard him Parker. When he was recovering his memories, I could feel that he loved you. He sounded like he’d found himself, that he was finally free. You were the cause of all that.”

Miss Parker’s lips curved in a bloodless smile.

“ I heard him too, Sydney. I needed to know what he really felt that day. He did love me.”

The last part was almost a whisper, and she continued.

“ Maybe we could have done it. Made each other whole, and made a life together. It’s just one more thing the Centre stole from me, Sydney. And I will have my revenge.”

Sydney shuddered at the coldness in her voice. He knew that she was right.

“ What will you do now?” he asked.

“ Business as usual” she replied. “ I don’t hate Jarod anymore, and I won’t take any pleasure in hunting him. But the job’s convenient, I can bide my time, gathering information, making plans…..the bastards won’t know what hit them.”

She raised a brow at him, and seeming more like her usual self.

“ You and the Hawaiian Print Wonder going to hang out sightseeing?”

A bemused expression crossed Sydney’s face, and he turned to go tell Broots it was time to go.

******************************************

Jarod sat in the foyer of the inn, still trying to get his head around the events of the past day and night.

This morning, he’d broken up with Zoe.

He couldn’t really say why. Something just didn’t feel right anymore, and he knew she felt it too.

They’d had fun together, he acknowledged. But the part she had played in his life was over, and now he was left feeling emptier than ever.

He looked up as he heard heels clicking rhythmically along the floor.

“ Leaving so soon?” a half-hearted attempt at playing the game.

“ You in a hurry to get rid of me?” his huntress smirked. “ Imagine that.”

Jarod grinned briefly, and then sadness crossed his face again.

“ Zoe and I broke up this morning.” Seeing her eyebrow raise, he added, “ It was a mutual thing. We just didn’t click anymore.”

She nodded. Unsure of where things stood.

“ Are you still hunting me?” he asked quietly.

“ Yeah. But not with a vengeance.”

He nodded, and produced a small piece of paper from his jacket pocket.

“ Send the divorce papers to this address.”

God, it hurt. Was this what the rest of her life was going to be like? The pain was unbearable. She had nothing, nothing but a man ingrained so deeply upon her soul that he was almost part of her.

And he’d never let her go.

Maybe I could ask the Centre to do to me whatever they did to Wonderboy.

She dismissed the thought. She still had revenge. When that was done she’d reassess things.

Like what kind of life she could possibly have. It sounded so weak and pathetic, but to go through life with him always there, in her mind, in her heart, in her very soul, and yet know he didn’t think more of her than one of his downtrodden victims, that he had been so eager to get rid of her, and their marriage, well, she didn’t know how she would cope.

She saw him staring at her, and before he could open his mouth, she pocketed it.

I can contemplate living death later, she thought. Right now, I’m depressing myself and delaying my flight. Gallows humor, Parker.

She wanted to say something, but there was nothing to say.
So she turned on her heel, and walked off, leaving Sydney and Broots in her wake.

Jarod stood then, and greeted his mentor.

“ What do you plan to do now, Jarod?” asked Sydney.

“ Try to put my life back together. Find my mother, get back into the rhythm of the chase.”

He looked at Sydney, and the expression in their eyes mirrored each other.

“ It’ll never be quite the same again, will it?” he asked softly.

Sydney shook his head sadly, and Jarod nodded.

With one last look back, he trudged off, leaving the two Centre employees alone.

Broot frowned as he tugged at his blotchy pink shirt.

Sydney smiled. Lucky for Broots that Miss Parker had other things on her mind.

Seeing the shrink’s face, Broots fumbled an explanation.

“ Debbie did the washing again.”

As they turned to walk along the foyer Sydney replied,

“ Just be glad the Centre didn’t do it.”


The End.



P.S – I didn’t give this story an “ending” because I simply can’t imagine tP ever having a neat and tidy ending. All I can think of is the words of Mr Parker himself,
“ Life goes on.”

But I’m open to a sequel J