Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters in this story do not belong to me, and I’m not making any money out of this. I’m just bored with waiting for the second movie to come out, so I’m doing this to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.




Soulwashing
Part 7
By Feline






Miss Parker had been taken back to her room to rest, and Ethan was taking care of her.

Jarod, meanwhile, had been taken to Sydney’s room, to process what had happened before he rubbed any more salt in Parker’s wound.

The pretender was on edge, pacing and venting his frustration and disbelief.

He didn’t know what to think. His mind was buzzing with a thousand things at once. He had come here to find his Mom and marry Zoe, and instead he had discovered that he already had a wife from a wedding he didn’t know about, and what’s more it was Miss Parker, and a possible reason behind her need to return him to the Centre.

Then there was the date on the picture, twelve years ago to this day. That meant this would be their twelfth wedding anniversary. And he had called to tell her he was marrying someone else.

What must she think? The pain he’d seen had shaken him to the core. All those little baits and digs he’d made over the past five years took on new significance as he viewed them through her eyes.

He ran a weary hand over his face. What he’d done was definitely the reason driving her to drag him back to the Centre. It was nothing short of torture.

And he had no idea how she had felt about him when she married him, or how he had felt.

Or what either of them felt now.

Sydney watched the man pace, and decided to break the silence.

“ Jarod?” he queried tentatively.

Jarod stopped and looked at his mentor. He seemed so defeated and exhausted, but his eyes were too haunted to allow for rest.

“ Do it, Sydney. I need to know what happened.”

The determination that had accompanied those words made Sydney squash his feelings of protest.

He made Jarod sit, and then he began the process of recovering the hidden memories.

*****************************

Sydney sat in the armchair in his room. The day had been a lot for all of them to handle. It troubled him to see these two people he cared for in such torment. And he had no idea how to make both of them happy.

He sighed.

Miss Parker was sure that Jarod remembered their wedding, and had just ignored it, like an overfull trash can. He knew it had hurt her, and he had an inkling that she cared for Jarod, little signs he had observed in his time working with her. But he had no idea how deep they went, or of what she really wanted.

Jarod on the other hand…….he thought back to his hypnosis session with the man. Jarod had definitely cared deeply for Miss Parker on their wedding day. He had sounded even better than he had when he had announced his wedding to Zoe. There had been such…..freedom in his voice, like he had finally found himself, he was whole.

But……Jarod had forgotten that. And Sydney wasn’t sure how genuine that made it. Even though the brainwashing had wiped the memory, could it have wiped the soul so completely? He hadn’t seen the same signs of caring from Jarod that he had from Miss Parker. For all intensive purposes Miss Parker seemed to be merely another of Jarod’s ‘help the downtrodden’ cases.

And he had been happily contemplating marriage to Zoe without a second thought pertaining to his huntress, except preventing her catching him on his wedding day.

After the hypnosis session, Jarod’s family had been in a rather vocal argument. He and Broots had observed as the tentative family had clashed over distrust of the Centre, marriage promises already made, their need to see Jarod happy, and finally, a rather subdued conversation about what to do next, both about Jarod’s mother and the present situation.

Zoe had stormed off and requested a single room, shut out of the family discussion.

Sydney had a feeling no one would sleep easy that night.