Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters in this story do not belong to me, and I’m not making any money out of this. I’m just bored with waiting for the second movie to come out, so I’m doing this to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.

Soulwashing
Part 5
By Feline






.Major Charles looked at his son in disbelief.

“ I’ve traced her to a little island just off the coast.” Jarod told him.

Just then Zoe entered.

“ What’s going on? Is it that Centre place?”

Jarod turned and grabbed both her hands excitedly.

“No, nothing like that. I’ve found my Mom!” he told her.

“ Congratulations!” she bubbled, and hugged him.

Jarod turned to look at his father, then back at Zoe.

“ We’ve got to go to a little island near Scotland to find her.” he said.

“ What about the wedding? asked Zoe, a little wounded.

“ That’s the best part”, said Jarod with a smile. “ The island has a gorgeous little chapel with a reputation for everlasting love, and I’ll have my Mom there with me.”

Zoe’s squeals of joy were like music to his ears, but something in them rang cold, and he couldn’t put his finger on it.

He ignored it. He was probably just concerned about the Centre finding her.

**************************************

Back in the tech room, Sydney and Broots were just pulling their jaws back up.
“ Jarod and Miss Parker are married?” exclaimed Broots.

Sydney looked pensive.

“ I knew there was something. Something that changed her, fuelled her search for him. And now with Jarod’s announcement of his marriage to Zoe…..” he trailed off.

“…… I think we better get to Scotland, fast.” finished Broots.

******************************************

Between all the time zone changes it was still early morning when Miss Parker arrived on the island.

It was still just as beautiful as she remembered it, and the fact annoyed her.

Like everything else about that day, it should have been colored by her foolish emotions. The sight of it made her stop and sit on one of the benches scattered about.

She often wondered what drugs she had been on that day, why she could have mistaken Jarod’s feelings so badly. She put it down to his pretending abilities, but it still made her feel incredibly stupid.

Although she had come here with a clear idea of the emotional state she wanted when she left, she had no idea of how to achieve it. So she decided to go back to the island’s only form of accommodation, a tiny inn, and unpack.

Maybe she’d get lucky, and the answer would just arrive.

***************************************

It was nearly ten in the morning when Sydney and Broots arrived on the island. They decided to head straight for the inn and get settled before trying to find Miss Parker.

But they bumped into her as soon as the got through the door.

The murderous look she gave them made them glad the inn-keeper was there as a witness.

She stood tensely waiting while they got a room, then hauled them down the hallway and prepared to strike.

“Miss Parker…” began Sydney.

“ What the hell are you two stooges doing here?” she cut him off, and Sydney detected the raw note of pain in her voice.

“ We know, Parker.” Sydney told her quietly.

She turned and led them into her room without a word.

When they were all seated, she began.

“ When I was sent away to school, I…I missed Jarod terribly.”

She stopped, and looked away.

“ He was the only person I could talk to, about Mom, and I…I latched onto him I guess,” she said, in a flat, dead tone that wrenched Sydney’s heart.

Steeling herself, she looked back.

“ He came to me one day when I was in college. He said he’d run away so we could be together. I agreed to elope with him. I brought him here, to where my mother was married, so it could be almost as if she were here, watching us.”

“ What happened?” asked Sydney softly.

“ It was the best twelve hours of my life.” said Miss Parker dryly.

She continued. “ He left. Just like that he was gone. And all these years, he’s never mentioned the marriage, never told me why.”

She stood and walked over to the window.

“ And now he calls on our twelfth anniversary to announce that he’s getting married. He could have just asked for a divorce, but that would mean he’d have to acknowledge it happened.”

Sydney digested this.

“ It’s your anniversary today?” he questioned softly.

“ Twelve years to the very day I made the biggest mistake of my life,” she confirmed.

Sydney stood up and went over to her. He knew that this had been an edited version, and that she wasn’t ready to talk about her feelings, or the implications of what she’d said, so he placed his hand on her shoulder, trying to give her some measure of comfort.

“ It’s okay to cry, Parker,” he said softly.

She just stood there and let herself feel his comforting presence, because if she moved, she knew she’d break down, and she couldn’t allow anyone, even Sydney, to know how much this affected her.