Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters in this story do not belong to me, and I’m not making any money out of this. I’m just bored with waiting for the second movie to come out, so I’m doing this to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.

Soulwashing
Part 4
By Feline





Miss Parker tried uselessly to get comfortable in the decidedly uncomfortable last-minute plane seat.

Sydney had been alarmed by her sudden departure, but she hadn’t given him any details. She didn’t need to hear a thousand and one reasons why Jarod wasn’t at fault.

That Jarod had called on that day, the twelfth anniversary of their marriage, to announce his intention to marry someone else, could only be his way of requesting a divorce, without actually having to acknowledge their marriage.

Bastard, she thought.

She sighed. There was no reason to hold on to this anymore. Hadn’t she been contemplating ending it that very morning? She’d give him his divorce, damnable bastard that he was, but first, she had a few ghosts to lay to rest.

The tiny island off the coast of Scotland was beautiful and charming, and featured the quaint little chapel where she had been married, the same chapel where her mother had been married, and probably her grandmother for all she knew.

She twisted the ring on her finger. Square, silver, nothing too delicate and fussy. Jarod knew her so well. She still wore it, her wedding ring. It reminded her of what he’d done, gave her the incentive she needed to go through with her job. But she knew that it could not return with her this time. She was going there to deal with that whole chunk of her past, and leave it marooned on the island, unable to find its way back to her and torment her. This time, she was going to bury that youthful mistake once and for all.

************************************

Jarod’s computer beeped frantically, and he quickly punched a few keys to allow himself to digest the information it held.

“ What is it son?” asked his father.

Jarod stared at the screen, dumbstruck.

“ We’ve got a plane to Scotland to catch.” he said.

“ I’ve found Mom.”

*************************************

Sydney’s concern and, he had to admit, no little amount of curiosity, had grown exponentially since Miss Parker left. Refusing to leave him alone, it had driven him to seek out Broots, in an effort to locate her.

“ Well, it appears she went to a little island, just off the coast of Scotland.” said Broots.

“ What is she doing there?” inquired Sydney.

“ Well, they only have one web site up, but I ran the name Parker through it and I found two matches.” he replied.

“ One of them seems to be a marriage certificate for her mother.” He turned to look at Sydney.

“ That must be the place where Catherine was married,” mused Sydney.

“ Yeah, the local chapel’s famous. Some legend about any couple married there finding everlasting love.” said Broots, with raised eyebrows.

“ What’s the other one?” asked Sydney, noting the irony of this himself.

Broots typed frantically.

“ Looks like another marriage certificate.” He punched a few more keys.

“ This one has a photo attached.” he continued.

The two men waited with bated breath for the picture on screen to reveal itself.

And their jaws dropped open at the sight of the same photo Miss Parker had contemplated earlier that morning.