Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters in this story do not belong to me, and I’m not making any money out of this. I’m just bored with waiting for the second movie to come out, so I’m doing this to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.

Soulwashing
Part 3
By Feline






Jarod, currently holed up in an old farmhouse in Virginia with his family and not having been anywhere near Oregon, was working as he had been for the last six hours, trying to locate his mother, the final piece in his family puzzle.

Suddenly, he felt Zoe’s arms slide around his neck, and her teasing voice in his ear.

“ All work and no play makes Jarod a dull boy.”

He grinned, and turned to give her a quick kiss.

Zoe was amazing, he mused. She was so light and cheerful, so carefree she was like freedom personified. And he couldn’t get enough. A thought occurred to him, and he pulled away to open his desk drawer. And with a smile, he drew out a tiny velvet-covered box.

**********************************

Sydney’s contemplation of Miss Parker’s actions yesterday was interrupted by the ringing of his phone.

“ Sydney ” he answered.

“ Working hard?” came Jarod’s voice in a teasing tone.

Sydney smiled at the voice of the man he thought of as a son, and voiced his thoughts out loud.

“ You sound happy today, Jarod.”

“ Well, it’s not everyday that a man proposes to the woman of his dreams.” said Jarod and let out a whoop as Zoe popped the cork off a champagne bottle noisily.

Sydney was stunned.

“ You’re getting married?” he exclaimed.

“ Damn straight he is.” Said a lively female voice from the other end of the phone.

Jarod laughed, and continued.

“ That’s Zoe, my wife-to-be. If you miss us for a few weeks, we’ll be on our honeymoon.”

A thousand thoughts ran through Sydney’s mind, but the predominant one was that Jarod sounded happier than he’d ever heard him.

“ Congratulations Jarod, and you too, Zoe. I hope you’ll be very happy together,” he said sincerely.

“ We will.” said Jarod. He felt uncharacteristically charitable towards his hunters today, usually his feelings of “them against me” would have lead him to conceal this from them, but today, pleased at his mentor’s approval, he hung up.

Keep your enemies close, he reminded himself with a touch of bitterness.

**************************************

Miss Parker strode into Sydney’s office just as he was hanging up the phone.

“ Call from Wonderboy?” she questioned.

“ Yes, apparently, Jarod is getting married.” said Sydney, observing the woman closely for her reaction.

He wasn’t disappointed. Her whole face went white, and she grabbed the back of a chair for support. She couldn’t speak, couldn’t move. She knew she should hide her reaction from the observant psychiatrist, but she felt like she’d been kicked in the stomach. She ignored Sydney’s concerned inquiry as she made for her office and slammed the door.