Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



part XXXII
By Rebeckah


"I’ve found them!" Broots’ exited voice sounded from his corner of the living room. He looked up from the computer in front of him with a wide grin. J.J. left his computer and went over to read the screen in front of Broots.

"You’ve found what, dear?" Karen asked, poking her head in from the kitchen where she and Debbie were making cookies.

"I’ve found the identity and locations of the Triumvirate." His grin was tinged with an understandable hint of smugness.

"I’ll call Frank and Emily." J.J. offered, his eyes glowing with anticipation. Cracking the identity of the Triumvirate was the last task they needed, although Frank and Emily were out visiting a large law library in New York City to find any extra edge they could.

"Do that." Broots agreed. "I’m going to send an e-mail to the Major and Sam. I’m sure they’ll be able to pick it up somehow. I just wish we had a little more information on the Pagode to go along with our background on the Centre."

J.J. frowned, thinking of Sydney who was currently out on a long walk. He’d been unable to dig up any extra information on the Pagode, and he was feeling slightly inadequate to the current situation. After he’d warned Michele and Nicholas, and exhausted his resources in trying to ferret out facts about the other organization, he’d grown more and more withdrawn from the group. J.J. felt a certain bond with the older man. Sydney had all but raised Jarod, his older brother, and he’d treated him with respect and kindness before Jarod had rescued him from the Centre. And J.J. knew that he’d have never been rescued at all if Sydney hadn’t leaked information to Jarod about his transfer. All in all, he was saddened by the other man’s obvious depression and wished he knew of a way to cheer him up.

"We’ll worry about the Pagode after we deal with the Centre, Broots." Karen said firmly. "J.J., I’ll call Emily and Frank, you find Sydney and let him know the good news. And tell him lunch is almost ready, okay?"

"Okay." J.J. agreed readily, happy to be moving. It was hard for the teenager to remain still for long periods of time, although he handled it better than most would. "Maybe we can pick up some ice cream for dessert." He added with a hopeful gleam in his eye as he headed for the front door.

As soon as the door closed behind him Karen fixed Broots with a stern look.

"Not one word about the Pagode when they get back." She ordered him firmly, making him flush as he realized that his comment would have hurt Sydney deeply if the older man had been there to hear it.

"Of course, Karen." He agreed guiltily. "Thanks for reminding me."

Karen nodded once, an indulgent smile on her lips. Broots wasn’t insensitive, just oblivious. She returned to the kitchen to call Frank on his cell phone and bring them back in. Matters were coming to a head, and she, for one, could hardly wait for the Centre to be eliminated and life to become reasonably sane again.

***************************

"Sam, come here and look at this." The Major demanded, never taking his eyes from the glowing computer screen on the desk.

Angelo had helped them to "liberate" it from a storeroom, and while Sam waded through the hardcopy records Angelo had amassed, the Major probed the electronic maze of information stored in the Centre’s mainframes.

"What is it?" Sam asked, looking at the screen blankly.

"It’s a travel agenda. Raines left here early yesterday evening for Berlin. He took the albino with him. What do you suppose they were after?" Charles looked up at Sam, hope growing in his eyes.

"Has to be Jarod." Sam confirmed, easily picking out the orders for sedatives and restraints, now that he knew what he was looking at. "So, Jarod and Miss Parker are somewhere in Berlin?"

"That’s where the Pagode headquarters is." The Major agreed, trying to control the relief sweeping through him. Jarod, Catherine, and Parker’s abduction had weighed heavily on everyone, but they’d had no choice but to deal with the Centre first before trying to rescue the others. "I think that one of us should remain here in case Raines manages to actually get his hands on Jarod."

"Yes, but one of us also has to get this stuff out and back to the others. We’re ready, I think, to start taking out the Centre. In fact, with Mutumbo in residence, now is the perfect time to start the collapse." Sam suggested thoughtfully. The Major sighed.

"You know the Centre better than I do; you’d better stay. Angelo and I will take as much as we can and see to it that it reaches the proper authorities." He conceded regretfully. "Please, though, don’t resume the hostilities if he does get brought back here." He added wryly. Sam’s returning grin was just as wry.

"Don’t worry. Now that I don’t have to answer to Lyle I don’t have any need to insult your son. I’ll be gentle, I promise." The Major laughed at that, and began gathering together silver disks of information and files of the most damning evidence they had found. Soon matters were going to come to a head, and he was going to be ready for it.

*************************

Jarod’s momentary sensation of calm shattered at the sight of the provocative woman in front of him. His stomach plummeted sickeningly as he realized that his grace period was over; this time she wouldn’t take "wait" for an answer.

The nightgown only barely concealed her lush assets, plunging deeply in the front and floating gently only to the very start of her thighs. Marion’s blue eyes glittered with satisfaction as she stared at the nervous man in front of her. She knew it was time to put her particular gift into play----her ability to "push" a person into seeing things her way. It wasn’t as flashy as his Pretender gift, or as unusual as the Parker women’s telepathy, but it had served her well in the past. She had no reason to believe that it would fail her now.

A little champagne, a some small talk, a few nudges with her mind, and Jarod would be hers. She could hardly wait. His decent nature called to the wary little girl in her; the girl who had always known that she’d only been wanted by her foster parents for her ability to push. She knew that once she convinced Jarod that she was desirable, however, that he’d never forsake her. And he was so adorably male in addition!

"Come, sit by me, lover." She chuckled, deep in her throat and snuggled onto the plush, red velvet bedspread.

"Ahhh," Jarod’s mind froze as he tried to come up with an excuse, any excuse, not to comply.

"Time’s up, lover." Marion insisted, a hint of irritation coming into her voice. Didn’t he realize what an honor she offered him?

"Of course." Jarod muttered hollowly, moving reluctantly closer to the blond. His mind raced. What should he do? What should he do?

"Have a glass." Marion told him, making him wonder for one shocked moment if she’d read his mind.

"Thank you." He gulped the bubbly liquid desperately, and then sneezed and the wine tickled his nose.

"Sip it, silly." Marion smirked.

"Sorry." Jarod mumbled. "Never had…" His voice trailed off uncertainly as the drug Marion had put into the champagne hit his bloodstream.

"What? What did you?" He was suddenly finding it difficult to think coherently, and he wondered who’d turned up the heat in the room as Marion’s skimpy outfit teased him with glimpses of more flesh than he was prepared to deal with. She took the alcohol and glasses to the table in front of the couch, and returned, deliberately making the nightgown swing and slide suggestively.

"Just a little something to relax you." She murmured, giving him a nearly complete view of her breasts as she leaned over to nibble on his ear. His heart pounded and the room tilted dizzyingly, but he tried manfully to hang on to his control and push her away. Instead of her shoulder, however, his hand pressed into something soft, and he lost track of his thoughts when she giggled joyfully and pushed him back onto the bed.

"Now," she purred, "isn’t this better?"

He tried desperately to remember why it wasn’t as she leaned down to capture his lips.

<Parker!> He thought fuzzily. <Something about Parker. Something important.> He was loosing the battle against Marion’s determined attack on his virtue when an inarticulate screech sounded from the doorway.

"Get away from him you peroxide harpy!"

<Funny! That sounds just like--- >

"Who let you out of your cell?" Marion growled, jumping to her feet. Jarod lay were he was, his eyes crossing as he tried to comprehend what was happening.

"You listen to me, you little----" Jarod dimly heard the sound of a slap and suddenly the room was filled with the sounds of battle.

"Jarod is mine!" He finally heard Parker explain, slightly breathlessly.

"Parker." He sighed contentedly. She moved over to glare at him and he smiled cherubically.

"I love you." He volunteered happily. "Always have." Parker’s glare faltered slightly and then sharpened again as she realized his condition.

"She drugged you!" Parker exclaimed irritably.

"Yep." Jarod agreed cheerfully. "You saved me." His eyes were wide and round, like an awed little boy. "You love me too."

"You wish!" Parker grumbled, looking over to the doorway. "How are we going to get him out of here like this?" She demanded of the two people in the doorway.

"He can walk." Alexander answered with a measure of reluctance. "He’ll pretty much do anything you want him to until the drug wears off."

"Will he?" Parker looked at Jarod speculatively.

"No, dear." Catherine restrained whatever impulse had come over her daughter gently. "We have to get away, remember?"

"What about her?" Parker asked sourly, looking at the motionless Marion on the floor.

"We’d better take her with us." Alexander suggested quickly. "If she’s with us there will be no one left to organize a pursuit." His look at Marion was faintly protective.

"Fine." Parker agreed acidly, glaring at the unconscious woman. "Just keep her away from me."

She tugged on Jarod’s arm, slightly mollified when he rose readilly to his feet and stood passively beside her, waiting for direction.

"Come on, Lover Boy." She told him, some of her rancour fading at his obvious helplessness. "Let’s get your genius back where it belongs---in the States."

"Okay." Jarod agreed, a glazed smile on his face.

"No, dear." Catherine said to her daughter again. "Escape, remember?"

Parker sighed and began guiding Jarod out of the room as Alexander wrapped Marion into an afghan and swung her into his arms to follow.

*******************************