Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.
Miss Parker struggled against the hand that was pulling her out of the warm and glowing chamber. She didn’t want to leave. Here she was safe.

"Miss Parker, please wake up."

The urgent male voice and the constant pushing of a hand on her shoulder forced her to leave the wonderful place of her dreams. With a low sigh she open her eyes, unwilling to face the real world. The moment she saw Alexander’s face in front of her the whole situation came back to her and she wished nothing more than to be able to go back to her dreamland.

"What?" The word was more a groan than a anything else.

"Please, you need to wake up; sit up." The urgency in the young man’s voice brought her fully back to the present.

"Is my mother okay?" Miss Parker had no idea where this thought came from, but the possibility of losing her mother a second time made her sick.. A hot wave of panic shot from her stomach through her whole body. It took her several second to realise that Alexander had said something to her again. Her brain frantically tried to recall his words and to make a sense out of the sounds but failed miserably.

Alexander was a bit confused by Miss Parker’s reactions. First he had tried for ages to wake her up, and now she didn’t seem to be able to listen. But then he got it; she was still in the process of waking up. So he decided to tell her again.

"Your mother is fine; don’t worry about her. You and the baby are also fine." He added before she could start to worry about that. "We have a different problem." Alexander nervously stepped back and started to pace. He had no idea how he could tell her. At first it had seemed to be a good idea; a smart idea, but after his short contact with Mr. White he knew it had been a big mistake. Damn what a mess.

Alexander was so deep in his thoughts that he didn’t noticed that Miss Parker had left her cot and walked up behind him. When he felt her hand on his shoulder he nearly jumped out of his skin, but before he could react further he felt her presence in his mind. It was completely different from the short contact he had with Mr. White; different from every other mental contact he had ever had.

It was not the usual invasion, more like a knock from a gentle hand, asking for permission to come in. Alexander was more than happy to share the thoughts he’d picked up from Mr. White with her; it was easier than forming them into words. He tried to relax completely, giving her access to all parts of his memory. In a way her was upset with himself that he hadn’t thought about this earlier when he had tried to convince her that he was on her side.

It only took Miss Parker a few seconds to see what Alexander had picked up from Mr White and it took all her strength not to pull back in horror. Her first thought was to run and hide, but the rational part of her mind told her that there was no place where she could hide from this. Alexander was here because he needed her .

When Miss Parker first had touched Alexander she had only wanted to get his attention, but the physical contact lead her immediately to a mental contact as well. She was still surprised and amazed about this new ability. The big question was why she was suddenly able to do this. It had been easy to get the information from Alexander, but the contact had also frightened her. She would need a shield of some sort, or sooner or later she would go crazy receiving such a rush of information with every touch.

"Okay," Miss Parker finally stated thoughtfully. "I think we have to change your plans some."

****
A cage is a cage, no matter how much gold you put on the bars. Jarod looked again around the apartment. Modern, elegant, expensive, it was easy to forget the reason why he was here.

God how had this all ended up this way? Jarod tried to find the moment where things had gone so terribly wrong. There must have been a moment where things had taken this turn. He hated this, his life and every thing around it. It was always a struggle about control, power, money.

Jarod slumped into a big chair, not sure what to do now. He had been a prisoner his whole life, in one way or another. This was just another prison, but he had to admit it was one of the best he’d been in so far. The offer from Marion also wasn’t the worst he had ever received. The only thing that really disturbed him was that he had no Choice. Marion never really said what would happen to him if he refused this honor.

Of course, he had a pretty good idea of what might happen; this was the Centre, after all. True, it was in another country, under another name, but it was the same facility underneath. How long would it take to escape here? Here he had no friend who would be willing to help. And, most importantly, they had two women who meant a lot to him. One of which he had believed died a long time ago. When he had seen her in that cabin it had been a real shock and it was only on their flight over here that he had finally been able to convince his mind that what he was seeing was the truth.

And there was Miss Parker, his.... what was she? He honestly had no idea. At a time, long ago she had been his friend. Things had been easy and clear at this time. Now he had no idea where he stood. He knew what he was feeling, but he had no idea about Angelina’s feelings. She had lied to him and he still felt betrayed; he was sure she knew how much family meant to him.

After he found out he had confronted her, but she had pretended that she was not pregnant anymore. He would never forget how he’d felt in that moment. Jarod tried to ignore the little voice that told him that it was partly his fault as well, that he had failed her too, he hadn’t trusted her to come to him.

But had she not made perfectly clear that she didn’t want him to be a part of her life? She wanted to go away and take his baby away as well. So was it wrong that he wished to have his child? He had the same rights, didn’t he? It was his child as well and...

Jarod shot up from his seat and started to pace. It wouldn’t be right to separate mother and child, but what if he had to make a decision? If he couldn’t rescue them both, maybe he could keep at least their child safe. But he knew this was an illusion and it was time to do something about it.

He had stopped at the big window and stared again at the Berlin skyline. It was a different angle than the office view, but no less impressive.

A loud pop made him jump and turn around in a split of a second; thoughts about gunshots, silencers, and every possible scenario involving them playing over in his mind. But nothing prepared him for the sight in front of him.

Marion stood in the middle of the room, dressed only in a short dark red nightgown and a freshly opened bottle of champagne in her hand.

*************************