Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

part XXX By Rebeckah
"Yes, Raines is in Berlin right now." The black man said impatiently over the phone. "He seems to think he'll have Jarod before this day is out."

The man nodded his head twice, something that amused his unseen audience.

"Of course I'll deal with Raines when he gets back. Jarod or no Jarod we agreed that he's outlived his usefulness." Mutumbo responded, the bite to his tone growing sharper. "I'll report as soon as he arrives---do not worry."

With those final words he place the receiver firmly back onto the phone. He stood for a moment, seeming to be lost in thought, and then strode out of the room with a swish of white robes and brightly colored sash.

Angelo put his finger to his lips in warning and led the other two men back into the maze of ventilation shafts that riddled the Centre.

"Thank you, Angelo." The Major whispered, when they reached the savant's hiding space in the center of several shafts. "Now, while we're waiting to see if they recapture my son or if he escapes again we need to gather any and all evidence of misconduct and illegal activities we can. Do you think you can help us with that too?"

A sly smile crossed Angelo's face and he gestured for the two men to follow him again. Sam looked none to happy to be crawling through the metal passages again, but he said nothing and followed along. After almost an hour of crawling and climbing, always down, never up, they finally emerged into a dusty, abandoned room.

Major Charles sniffed once, when they emerged.

"Smoke?" He questioned.

"We're in SL 27." Sam informed him sourly.

"Stay here, safe." Angelo explained, heading straight for the half open door. Sam paused to stretch a kink out of his back, and the two men followed again.

Angelo stopped at an unmarked door just before the end of the corridor and opened it to reveal a pristine room with two neatly made cots and boxes of MRIs in one corner.

"Safe." He repeated, as if the two hadn't gotten the message the first time. "Come."

He pulled the door shut and opened the one that marked the end of the corridor. This too was an immaculate room, with a desk and stacked with countless cardboard boxes. Angelo pointed and giggled softly.

"Evidence." He said simply.

"Evidence?" Sam repeated in utter amazement. "A room full of evidence just waiting for us?"

"Did you get this for us, Angelo?" Major Charles asked, looking behind him for the other man, but Angelo had vanished.

"Okay, Sam," the Major sighed, looking back at the mountain of paperwork stored in front of them. "Let's start sorting. It'll give us something to do while we're waiting for my son at least."

"Something to do?" Sam parroted blankly. "We'll be going through this stuff until Christmas!"

"Then we'd better get started." The Major chuckled. "Because I have plans for this Christmas."

**********************

"I told you, I can't get the man out!" Alexander repeated angrily. "She's got him in her personal apartments!!"

"I don't appreciate it when my allies start reneging on our agreements." Mr. White drawled menacingly. Alexander's eyes narrowed ominously.

"Look." He responded, venom filling his voice. "I'm working on a way to get the two women to you but the man is a lost cause. If I could I'd go to his room, knock him out, and deliver him to you bound hand and foot, but it isn't an option. Now, do you want your female friends or not?"

Mr. White glanced back at Raines who nodded grimly and turned back to the blond man.

"Very well," he responded smoothly. "10:00 pm at Brandenburg Gate?"

"Okay." Alexander agreed, but he didn't like the look the two had exchanged and suddenly wondered if they knew the Parker women at all. Only one way to find out, he thought.

"No hard feelings about the other?" He asked, holding out his hand to shake and mentally preparing for the physical contact with the pale man in front of him. Mr. White hesitated, but finally took the other man's hand.

"No. Just let us know if anything changes." He agreed grudgingly.

`Like hell I will.' Alexander thought as he smiled and turned to leave. His brief contact with the assassin had worked better than he'd hoped. His thoughts whirled madly as he made his way back to the Pagode building.

`Damn! Now what am I going to do?' Was his predominant thought.

************************

{Sweetheart, can you hear me?} Catherine tried once again, being careful to keep the thought as focused as possible. She didn't want any of the blond bully boys picking up on her message to her daughter.

{Momma?} Parker thought back cautiously. Catherine could feel her daughter's continuing disbelief in this mode of communication. She stifled a grin, no reason to give any unseen watchers a reason to suspect she was up to something.

{Yes, baby.} She thought back, infusing the message with all of the love in her heart. {Are you okay? They didn't hurt you, did they?}

{No.} Parker's thought was as dry as the Sahara. {Alexander saw to it that I doctor was on hand to check me out.}

{And is everything okay?} Catherine was still worried about her daughter's near-miscarriage not even a week earlier.

{We're fine.} This time Parker's thoughts held more than a trace of wonder. She'd barely had time to think about the fact that she was pregnant since the moment she'd found it out. {I heard the baby's heartbeat.} She added, still touched with awe at the miracle taking place inside her. She felt her mother's warm wave of love and understanding of the emotion.

(We have to get out of here.} She told her mother firmly, ignoring a headache that was forming behind her eyes.

{That's enough thinking at each other for now.} Catherine sensed her daughter's headache and knew what it meant. {That headache means you're on the edge of overdoing it. Rest, we'll discuss escape later, after they feed us, maybe.}

{Momma?} Parker thought hesitantly. Catherine was irresistibly reminded of her daughter as a toddler, asking for one more story or one more glass of water before going to sleep. {Do you think I could----sense Jarod?} She asked, trying to bury her burning curiosity and jealousy.

{I don't know.} Catherine answered honestly. {Normally I would say no, but there's something about Jarod…} It was just a feeling, nothing she could explain, but she wasn't prepared to dismiss some form of telepathy where he was concerned.

{But not now.} She added. {You're just learning how to use this gift and you need to exercise it and grow stronger. Later, maybe, you can reach him. For now, rest.}

Parker's response was a wave of exasperation; she was getting tired of being told to rest! On the other hand, she was feeling oddly drained. She lay down on the soft couch in her suite of rooms and closed her eyes----just for a minute, she told herself sleepily. In a minute she'd start thinking of how to escape this place…

********************

Jarod's back was pressed firmly against the windows overlooking Berlin and he felt perspiration dotting his forehead and upper lip. And still the blond woman advanced on him, looking at him the way he'd been told he looked at ice cream.

"Uh, look, Marion." He slid nervously to the left and froze as she altered her course to intercept him. "Can't you give me a little time?" He asked her desperately.

"I mean, I've only just met you, really, and I----"

"You're *shy*!" Marion chortled, slowing slightly to draw out her moment of triumph. "How sweet."

"No, it's not that!" Jarod lied quickly, sensing that shyness would only intrigue her more. Marion chuckled in the back of her throat and drew one blood red fingernail down his neck from just below his jaw to his collarbone, resting her fingertip just over the wildly pulsing artery.

"Poor baby!" She tsked with mock concern. "Your heart is just racing! I really think we should just go right ahead and--------get better acquainted."

"Wouldn't you rather I freshened up first?" The situation would have been hysterical to anyone watching it. Jarod was taller than Marion by nearly a foot, and yet she had him cornered like a wolf to a rabbit. Of course, if she hadn't had Parker and the baby as hostages the situation would have been far different, but she did and Jarod didn't dare risk offending her.

Fortunately, Marion chose to remain amused by his "shyness" and backed off slightly.

"Very well, Jarod." She agreed suddenly, much to Jarod's relief. "Your apartment is just down the hall to the left. Rest, refresh yourself. Tonight will be soon enough to get to know each other."

She shot Jarod a look from diamond hard blue eyes, though, before he could move.

"But don't go anywhere near the elevator, lover." She warned him. "You wouldn't like what I would do if you did."

Jarod nodded, to consumed with relief at his reprieve to even think about elevators and consequences. Yes, he told himself as he made his escape, Marion's husky laugh floating in his ears, he did have to find a way out of this building, but for now it was just enough to get out of that room.

He made it to the door she'd indicated and closed it behind him, leaning against it in relief and almost as a barricade.

`Got to get out of here!' He thought dazedly. `Even the Centre wasn't this bad!'

******************