Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Sydney stared at the phone.

"Sydney you are OK?", Broots hesitantly stepped closer to the desk of the older man. He was not sure what he should say. His friend was simply sitting there staring at the phone. He had heard that he had talked with Jarod. The last words from the Pretender had been so loud that he heard the voice in his corner of the room, he had not been able to understand the words, but he had a clear picture what it had been about.

Sydney looked at him, that back to the phone comma realizing that he still held it in his hand, exhaling slowly he laid it down.

"No, I am not and neither is Jarod. You know someone their whole life, you see them grow up, you work with them and suddenly you learn you know nothing. Everything you believed in was a fake. I saw Miss Parker changing, but I always believed she was still the lovely girl I knew. I was always sure there was more between Jarod and her than you could see. always been so good for each other. I hoped.... " the older man trailed off.

Broots was not sure what to say, he had never seen Sydney so out of balance, he could not even remember that he said ever so much. He was normally the quiet person in the background, listening, a knowing smile on his lips. Observing. Always so controlled. Now he looked like he had slept in his suit for a week, his eyes were tired, he Broots could even see his hands trembling. Everything he had believed in was slipping away. Jarod had always been like a son to him."

To see him reunited with his father had been hard for him. He had feared to losing him. He had risked everything to save the Clone, the thought of the lab in Donoterase still sent a shiver down his spine. All those dead babies, the thought brought him back.

"Sydney, uh.. do you have a any idea where Jarod is? " Broots asked quietly.

The man behind the desk looked up confused.

"No, why do you ask, do you want to send some sweeper to get him, cause he would maybe not run this time? " Sydney replied with a angry voice, hurt and betrayal evident in each word.

Broots shifted unsurely from one foot to the other, he was not sure if he should go on. Maybe this was the time to talk about it, maybe he could now do something for his friends and maybe sharing his story would help Jarod and so Sydney. Broots was not upset that his college had reacted that way. Sydney had been sure about Miss Parker that he could trust her, that he knew her and that she would never do anything that would really harm Jarod. But he had been wrong, so why trusting him, they knew each other only for some years, the woman he saw grow up had made him lose faith in his own judgment.

"This is not the reason I asked. " Broots stopped again, still not sure if he should really go on. Before he could change his mind, he decided to tell Sydney, maybe after all the time there could be at least something useful coming out of it.

"Sydney, I have told nobody, but maybe it is time to do it now. My ex-wife never wanted children, they where simply useless for her, as waste of time and money, ruining the shape of her body. Then she got pregnant with Debbie and we had a hell of a fight I was scared she would do something stupid, like have an abortion. I was so relieved when I was able to hold my baby girl for the first time. She was a miracle. The only good thing I had ever done in my life." He took a shuddering breath before he continued.

"Debbie was about 2 years old, I found an invoice from a doctor. Debbie was supposed to have a brother or sister. The invoice was nearly 2 months old. I had no idea. I confronted her with, this, she said she simply forgot to tell me, it would it was no big deal. Sydney can you imagine this? I looked at her and I could tell, she really could not understand why I was upset. For her it was not no different than to go to a coiffeur."

He looked at the shocked psychiatrist

"You know, there was never a question that Debbie's mother did not want her. So I was surprised that she took her after our divorce, but as you know not for too long. I saw Miss Parker with Debbie, first I was not sure if she would not hurt her even more, but Debbie adored her. After the first time she spent some time with her, Debbie nearly stopped talking and asking about her mother. Funny or? After seeing Miss Parker, with Debbie I always thought she would make a good mother and I even thought she would like to have or children "

Sydney was about to answer as both men heard a loud argument in front of the door. Soon the door was pushed open and Miss Parker and Mr. Lyle came inside.

"She is my project. I captured her!" the young man stated in an, angry voice.

"Oh, poor bro", Miss Parker replied with a sarcastic smile. "But I think in this case I really have to thank you!" She turned to both men at the other side of the room.

"Broots, Sydney, there is something you need to know. ", she glanced over to her brother who looked completely frustrated.

"Lyle will be now replace me here, he will work with you, also Angelo will be assigned to your team permanently. The
Triumverate expects from your team soon results."

"May I ask you where you are going now Miss Parker?" Sydney inquired.

Lyle let out a low sneer. ,

"You my may ask", with this Miss Parker turned and walked out of the room.

"What was this all about?" Broots asked completely confused.

"This, " Lyle answered, "was my dear sister's way to let us know she won. At least for the moment. It seems you have not heard the good news. After you failed for more than 3 years to catch Jarod, I was able to catch his sister today..."

Lyle stopped and savored the shocked expression on the other men's faces. He stepped closer and continued.

"Our lovely Miss Parker convinced the Triumverate to restart the Project Gemini. She is in charge and Emily is her number one lab rat now."