Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

part XXIVIII By Rebeckah
Sam and the Major were gone. They’d left just before dark to return to Delaware. They warned the rest of the gang not to worry if they didn’t hear from them for a few days, saying they were planning on keeping a communications blackout just in case. Sydney asked them to try and bring Angelo back with them. He knew that the childlike man could take care of himself, but both he and Broots found themselves worrying about him the longer they were gone from the Centre.

Everyone else threw themselves into a flurry of study, research, and investigation. The Centre didn’t know it yet, but their days were numbered…

******************

"Jarod…" Marion breathed, tugging his T-shirt out of his jeans. Jarod practically levitated off of the plush sofa where she’d dragged him. He was standing next to the floor to ceiling windows, chest heaving as he tried to calm down, before he even realized he’d moved. Marion stretched lithely on the couch and smiled a feline smile of pleasure.

"Oh come on, Jarod. I KNOW you aren’t that innocent." She laughed huskily.

"Look, Marion, it’s not that I’m not flattered---" Jarod began with a slight edge of desperation in his voice as he started to pace, and raked his fingers absently through his hair. "It’s just that, well, Parker isn’t carrying my baby for nothing. I CARE about her. And---and----" He searched his mind frantically for another reason to give the amorous woman before him.

Marion laughed again, startling Jarod who had expected anger.

"Forget her." She advised him callously, rising and going to her en suite bar to pour herself a drink.

‘Is there something about me that drives women to drink?’ He wondered nonsensically, seeing Parker and her flagon of scotch on her sideboard.

"Parker will be kept in the subject infirmary until the child is born. At that time she will be transferred to our breeding project----in Siberia." Marion clinked the ice in her glass as she strolled over to the man standing frozen with horror in front of the window. She made a self satisfied noise in her throat that sounded surprisingly like a purr as she lightly ran the tips of her fingers up and down Jarod’s arm and shoulder.
"You can save yourself, Jarod, and you can save your baby, but you cannot save that woman. Now, are you for me, lover, or against me?" A perfectly arched eyebrow rose inquisitively, but the satisfied smirk on her blood-red lips made it clear that she thought she knew the answer to that one already.

**************************

Alexander led Parker to the end of the hall, and then turned her down a side hall that proceeded in the opposite direction that Catherine had taken.

'Obviously they want to keep us as far apart as possible.' Parker thought grimly.

And that thought brought her right back to the assertion that she and her mother were some kind of telepaths.

'Is it possible?' She wondered skeptically. She glanced at the man leading her to her cell and a cynical smile twitched her lips. 'Only one way to find out.' She decided.

{Hey! You there, Blondie!} She thought with her typical attitude of derision. {If you can hear this, pass a message along to your boss for me. Tell her I’ve seen cats in heat with more subtlety than she’s got, and she’d better just remember that JAROD IS MINE!!!)

Alexander’s brow rose, but he kept silent and managed not to grin. Catherine, however, yards away in what was admittedly a quite comfortable cell, grinned widely as she overheard her daughter's mental comment.

Parker observed that brow with equal measures of amazement and satisfaction.

'So it's true.' She thought privately. 'Now all I have to do is figure out how to use this telepathy thing to get us out of this mess. And, of course, give that blond bitch exactly what she deserves.' She added with more than a touch of malice.

*******************

"How long until he gets here?" Raines asked again, impatiently.

"Half an hour." His companion sighed, tired of reassuring the old man. "Are you sure you wouldn't prefer to go to a hotel and let me handle this?" He asked for the twelfth time.

"No." Raines snapped. "I have to be here when we get Jarod. This time he won't escape."

The pale 'Finder', closed his eyes, wondering if working for the Centre was such a good idea after all, and missing Lyle, who had at least allowed him to work unhindered.

*********************