Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



part XXVI
By Rebeckah


They were all gathered in the living room for a war council; Sam, Emily, Broots, Frank, Karen and Major Charles. JJ and Debbie had been banished to the Rec Room in the basement where Debbie was busy teaching JJ the ins and outs of the game Zelda on the Nintendo 64 her aunt and uncle kept down there for her.

"I don’t know about the rest of you," Emily was saying resolutely, her delicate looking face set in a frown that veritably dared anyone to disagree with her. "But I’m tired of the Centre breathing down my neck, threatening my family, and screwing up my life!"

"No problem." Sam told her with heavy sarcasm, glaring at Emily like she was a spoiled brat. "We’ll just take them out for you. Would Wednesday be soon enough?"

"Yes." Emily answered sweetly, smiling at him with a dazzling display of teeth and dancing eyes. "That would be perfectly lovely."

Sam subsided, glowering darkly.

"Well, why not?" Karen asked practically. "Let’s figure out what would be necessary to destroy the Centre and see if it’s feasible. Frankly, I’m tired of worrying about Broots all of the time."

"Okay, dear, let’s." Frank agreed with a comfortable grin to his wife. Unlike Broots, Frank was close to 6 feet tall, broad shouldered, and had a thick head of hair.

"Okay, talk!" She ordered the group, poising her pen over the yellow legal pad in her lap.

"We can’t just take out the Centre." Sydney contributed unexpectedly, the forefinger tapping his upper lip indicating that he was deep in thought. "There’s the Triumvirate too."

"That’s right." Sam agreed, his frown also turning thoughtful. "If we don’t eliminate the Triumvirate too we’d be leaving the head to simply start all over again later."

"Not to mention all of the branches and hidden research stations the Centre has." The Major said glumly.

"So." Karen restated briskly, writing as she went. "We need to A) determine just who the Triumvirate are, B) determine all of the branches and hidden bases connected to the Centre, C)….?"

"The Pagode." JJ’s voice sounded from the kitchen doorway. He’d come upstairs to get sodas for himself and Debbie and overheard the strategy session.

"JJ?" The Major frowned unhappily. "What are you doing up here listing to us?"
"Dad, you need me." JJ said patiently. "I’m a Pretender, remember? For instance, why take out the Centre? Why not screw up their taxes and set the IRS on them? Or work out a hostile take-over and use Centre resources to take out the Pagode?"

"That’s not a bad suggestion." Broots offered suddenly, considering JJ’s suggestion so carefully that he missed the amazed looks he drew from the other participants.

"Well, not the Centre taxes, they stay strictly in the straight and narrow there, even pay the L&I tax, but we could certainly get almost every higher up in the Centre on tax fraud in one form or another. And the Triumvirate, I’m sure that they’re breaking countless of our international trade laws."

"So, C) is weaken the Centre from within?" Karen received a round of nod and wrote that down. "And then, D) will be decide what to do about the Pagode." She added firmly.

"Now, just how do we accomplish all of these miracles?" Sam demanded skeptically.

"I can track down all of the finances." Broots offered.

"And I can help!" JJ added eagerly.

"I suppose I can look into the legalities." Emily offered unhappily. She didn’t enjoy learning nearly as much as her brothers did.

"Sam and I can reconnoiter the Centre grounds, see what we can pick up on hardcopy. See what other leads we might turn up." The Major volunteered Sam blithely. Sam looked surprised, but didn’t protest.

"I can look into the Pagode issue." Sydney volunteered. "I probably already know more about them except maybe you, Sam."

"Okay, I’ve got friends in government agencies that might help us." Frank said thoughtfully.

"I’ll hold down the fort and keep everyone fed." Karen declared cheerfully.

"No one could do it better than you." Frank assured his wife warmly. "Now, why don’t we break into our individual groups and brainstorm while my lovely wife prepares a good lunch for us? Emily, I think you and I might want to work together…" He added, nodding towards the younger woman.

************************

Catherine, Parker, and Jarod all wondered exactly what to expect when they were whisked out of the private jet and into a waiting black limousine. Jarod’s respect for Pagode influence went up as he realized that they’d totally bypassed Customs. His estimation of their audacity went up when the limo headed straight for downtown Berlin. His opinion of their subtlety went down, however, when the limo pulled to a halt in front of a tall, glass and metal building with the same emblem of a stylized pagode on the doors. No name, just the image.

The three were hustled into the building, Parker being firmly supported by two burly blond men holding her arms like she was a keg of dynamite that might go off. Looking and the lowering frown and tightly clenched jaw, Jarod had to agree that their caution was prudent. Parker WAS like a powder keg about to go off. He had to wonder why he and Catherine were being treated with so much respect, though.

"Jarod! It is SO good to finally meet you face to face!" A svelte blond woman undulated across the plush foyer, ignoring Parker entirely, smiling seductively, and exclaiming her greeting in warmly welcoming tones. Jarod’s bruised ego started to feel better, in spite of his mind’s insistence that he couldn’t trust this woman.

"And, Catherine! It is so good to see you aren’t dead after all!" She added, turning to the older Parker and speaking with just a hint of genuine feeling in her voice. "I owe you everything, you know."

Parker’s cheeks reddened at the deliberate snub, but a pointed glance from her mother stilled her incipient blow up.

"Marion?" Catherine asked gently, turning her attention back to the blond woman. "What happened, dear? Why are you working here?"

"Catherine, I AM the Pagode." Marion said proudly. "I took it over after my foster mother’s unfortunate accident ten years ago." There was not hint of guilt in her voice or manner, and yet somehow all three of them know that the accident had been one Marion had arranged.

"Now, Jarod." Marion purred, moving closer to Jarod and running a greedy hand down his chest. "I have so much I need to discuss with you. Just be patient for a few minutes my dear, while I deal with Catherine and the other female, and then I’m all yours."

Jarod battled twin emotions of gratification and the flattery, and embarrassment at the predatory interest in Marion’s eyes.

"Alexander, the female is to be taken to the infirmary for a thorough check-up and debugging." To date Marion had managed not to look at the taller brunette, but her carmine red lips took on a slightly deeper grin at the angry hiss that sounded from the other. "And Catherine is to be returned to the States immediately, with all the comfort we can give her, understand?"

Parker’s angry self control faded suddenly and she shot her mother a desperate look.

"Marion, this is my daughter you are discussing. I will not leave her." Catherine answered calmly, a serene smile directed at her daughter.

Marion frowned in irritation. "I suppose I could give you a guest suite for a few days." She suggested grudgingly.

"I will go where my daughter goes." Catherine turned her eyes to Marion and showed the steel beneath the gentleness. "I don’t know what has happened to make you so amoral, Marion, but I must say I am terribly disappointed in you."

Marion flushed, anger, and just the tiniest hint of hurt, flaring in her blue eyes.

"Very well, Catherine." She answered stiffly, looking just a trifle sulky. "Take her with her daughter. Set them both up in the luxury holding cells." She turned her shoulder on the two women and her seductive smile blossomed again as her eyes fell on Jarod.

"Come along, dear." She purred, running her hand along the bulging muscles of his biceps like a cat stroking itself along her owner’s leg. "We really DO have a great deal to discuss."

Jarod threw a glance towards the Parker women that was amused, flattered, resigned, and ever so slightly nervous. Miss Parker glared stonily and Catherine smiled sympathetically before Marion once again demanded Jarod’s full attention.