Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended. The song HAVE YOU EVER REALLY LOVED A WOMAN? Is used without permission It was written by B. Adams/R.J. Lange/M. Kamen and published by: Badams Music Ltd./Zomba Music International/K'Man Corps/Sony Music © 1996 All Rights Reserved.
 
part XX
By Rebeckah


JJ held out a restraining hand and kept Catherine back from Parker’s door as they heard the tinkle of shattering glass. It was a good thing too, in the next instant her door was flung open and Sam barreled out into the hallway, dripping with milk and with tiny traces of red scratched on his face from flying glass. He saw Catherine and paused for a moment, his eyes wide with shock, but a frantic glance into the room had him gesturing them back and ducking to one side of the door. A bowl of fruit sailed out the crash against the far wall. It broke into three perfect pieces and tumbled to the floor.

The three people in the hall stared at each other in amazement or stunned shock until Catherine’s lips twitched involuntarily.

"I see my daughter still has a bit of a temper." She understated dryly. Her words released Sam from his paralysis.

"God! You look just like her!" He marveled. "But you’re----"

"Dead? As the saying goes, young man: Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated." Catherine raised one brow in a manner reminiscent of Miss Parker. "I think you might want to clean yourself up, change, and put something on those cuts. But before you do, please tell me exactly what is wrong with my daughter."

"Ahhh," Sam’s eyes rolled as he tried to figure out how to pack everything going on into one easy explanation. Finally he decided to give her the barest sketch of events and retreat to his room.

"She’s pregnant, 5, 6 weeks or so, but things have been really stressful for her from the start. Several days ago she was forced to kill her twin brother and even though there was no love lost between them before she’s been completely beside herself. She almost miscarried shortly after, but we got her to a hospital in time. The Centre is after us, so we left the hospital AMA and I’ve been trying to keep her calm and relaxed like the doctor told us too, but she isn’t cooperating much." Sam explained quickly, glancing towards the still open bedroom door as if he was afraid that more food was going to come flying.

"Hmmm, that will do." Catherine mused. "It’s going to give her another shock when I walk in that door, but I think I can help her deal with it. Give us a few hours, okay? And then you can bring in her lunch or brunch or whatever the heck it will be time for." Catherine gave the dazed males a dazzling smile and moved into her daughters doorway.

"Mama!?" They heard Parker exclaim shrilly. "Am I dead now too?"

"No, my precious girl-----" The door shut on Catherine’s answer. Sam and JJ stared at each other for several more long moments before JJ broke the tableau.

"You better go get changed like she said." He advised the burly Sweeper. "I’ll clean up out here."

"Two of them?" Sam murmured dazedly as he stumbled down the hall. "*Two* of them?!"

***********************

Angelo’s fingers flew over the computer as he sent his latest bit of inside information to the small party at Broots’ house. He was grateful that at least computer language was far enough removed from ordinary speech to allow him to use the machines. If only he could simply type what he wanted to say! But the hindrance to speech that bound him kept him from pulling up the words he needed to use, even when he used a keyboard and not his mouth. At least this bit was as clear cut as anyone could ask for.

*************************

Broots’ gentle face paled to the point that Sydney and Emily were afraid he was about to pass out.

"Debbie? They took Debbie?" He breathed, an unfamiliar flame of anger sparking in his eyes. His color returned slowly, his lips folded firmly, and he straightened, suddenly seeming taller and rock steady. He walked out of the small study, his steps firm and measured.

When he returned a minute later the change in his personality remained and he was sliding in a clip of bullets for what was only the second time in his Centre career.

"Broots, are you sure you want----" Sydney’s question broke off in mid sentence at the look Broots gave him.

"They have taken my daughter, Sydney." He said, the very quietness of his voice emphasizing his commitment better than a shout ever would. "It’s past time the worm turned."

Emily closed her mouth with an effort. This was unexpected!

"Now, I’m going to make an intensive search of the Centre mainframe, see if I can narrow down the choice of Centre safehouses where they might have Debbie. Sydney, I want you to send Jarod an e-mail, he’ll help once he gets it. Emily, I hate to ask, but could you possibly make us a lot of sandwiches or something? I don’t think we’re going to have much time for meals." Broots ordered the two people around as if they were long-time employees. He didn’t even wait for their responses, just laid the gun gingerly beside his computer, and seated himself before the screen to begin typing furiously.

After another long moment of silent amazement Emily and Sydney exchanged wondering looks. Then, with a shrug Emily went off to the kitchen. Sydney tapped his upper lip thoughtfully with his finger, and then he too left the small study.

************************************

"No! I don’t WANT any cookies! I’m ALLERGIC to chocolate." Debbie shrieked, her face red and her brunette hair tumbling messily from her barrettes. "Daddy always gives me GRANOLA BARS after school! And where is my Daddy! I want my DADDY!"

Her shrieks became a wailing, off key cry. If the two Sweepers guarding her had been a bit more alert the would have noticed the fleeting smile of triumph that crossed Debbie’s lips when they covered their ears and winced.

"Look, Debbie," the younger sweeper, a slender blond man, pleaded. "We’ll get you granola bars, just PLEASE stop that noise!"

The wail broke off in mid-stream and Debbie cocked an inquiring eyebrow.

"And apple juice?" She asked with amazing calm. The two men exchanged looks of relief, not experienced enough with children to realize that Debbie’s abrupt change of temper was unnatural, to say the least.

"Yes!" The older man agreed quickly. His hair was gray and he had the thicker waist of a man in his later 40’s. "We’ll get you any kind of juice you want, just please don’t cry anymore."

Debbie’s lip quivered artistically and her eyes filled with tears, and both men braced themselves involuntarily.

"But I want my DADDY!" She wailed, at the top of her lungs. Unfortunately for the two Sweepers, Debbie had recently decided that she wanted a career on stage. Multiplying their sorrows was the fact that she had discovered the old Disney film, The Ransom of Red Chief, only a few months ago. Debbie was having a blast. The Sweepers were wondering which would be worse, dumping Debbie off on her own front doorstep and facing the Centre’s wrath, or listening to her incessant whining and crying.

************************

"Hello, Sydney." The woman’s voice on the other end of the phone was low and husky, seductive even though she was young enough to be Sydney’s daughter.

"Marion." He said warmly. "I haven’t heard from you in ages! How are you doing?"

His heart lifted. Marion was the last child Catherine had rescued before her death and she’d kept in touch with Sydney over the years. After the run of grim events they’d all been experiencing it was a balm to his battered heart to hear from someone he could remember with a sense of pleasure.

"How is Jarod doing?" She asked curiously. Sydney smiled, she always asked about Jarod. She’d only seen him once, but he seemed to have made quite an impression.

"He’s under a little more stress than usual at the moment, but he’ll work things out, I’m sure. " He answered her easily.

"And Miss Parker? Is she also doing well?"

Now Sydney frowned slightly. Was there a touch of acid in that question.

"She’s as well as could be expected." He told the young woman noncommittally.

"That’s good to hear." Marion carefully modulated the dislike she felt for the other woman out of her voice. Sydney was far too perceptive for her to relax her vigilance when she spoke to him. "I know it was hard on her, losing her mother the way she did. And that father of hers…."

"Yes, Mr. Parker seems to be a bit lacking in support where his daughter is concerned." Sydney understated his feelings with characteristic dryness. Marion stifled a chuckle. She knew that Mr. Parker had been acting on the advice of her foster mother for years. Neither he or Sydney knew of their connection to the Pagode.

"Well, I’ve got to go now. Drop me an e-mail if anything comes up, okay?" She ended the conversation breezily.

"I’ll do that, Marion, and you take care of yourself, okay?" Sydney urged with paternal concern.

"I always do, Syd." She assured him cheerfully. "I always do."

***************************

Major Charles woke slowly, finally realizing that the car had stopped. His son sat with his head on the steering wheel, tears slipping down his face again. Charles opened his mouth, caught the words of the song Jarod was listening to on the radio, and closed his mouth again.

When you love a woman you tell her that she's really wanted
When you love a woman you tell her that she's the one
Cuz she needs somebody to tell her that it's gonna last forever
So tell me have you ever really - really really ever loved a woman?



"Son," He said, laying a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Don’t beat yourself up like this…"

Jarod stopped him with an upraised hand, listening to the song with every fiber of his being.

To really love a woman
Let her hold you - til ya know how she needs to be touched
You've gotta breathe her - really taste her
Til you can feel her in your blood
N' when you can see your unborn children in her eyes
Ya know ya really love a woman

When you love a woman you tell her that she's really wanted
When you love a woman you tell her that she's the one
Cuz she needs somebody to tell her that you'll always be together
So tell me have you ever really - really really ever loved a woman?

You got to give her some faith - hold her tight
A little tenderness - gotta treat her right
She will be there for you, takin' good care of you
Ya really gotta love your woman...







"Dammit, Dad!" He said, as the last notes faded he switched off the radio. "I *thought* I loved her! I thought I knew what love was."

"Switch places with me son." The Major said firmly before opening his door and leaving the car to stand outside of the driver’s door. For an instant Jarod looked like he was going to protest, but the Major’s steely gaze overcame his objections without either of them saying a word. Sighing, Jarod slid over to the passenger seat and fastened his seatbelt.

Nodding his satisfaction, the Major slid behind the wheel and put the vehicle in motion again. Only then did he resume his conversation with his son.

"Jarod, trust me in this----you love the woman." He said flatly. "Just because you let her down it doesn’t mean you don’t love her. No matter what any song in the world says, you’re never going to meet you’re loved ones needs all the time."

"Dad, I accused her of killing our baby!" Jarod said hoarsely, fatigue and grief distorting his voice almost beyond recognition.

"And she did everything in her power to make you believe she had." He pointed out to his son reasonably.

"But I should have known better!" Jarod cried out. "Dammit, I’m a Pretender! Knowing what people feel is part of who I am!"

"Son, I don’t care if you were the Messiah himself, when a man’s in love all of the intelligence in the world won’t save him from making an ass of himself."

"She needed me." Jarod said stubbornly.

"And you needed me all of those years. Did I not love you enough? Is that why we weren’t a family?" His father asked abruptly.

"Well, no…" Jarod admitted slowly.

"The *important* thing to remember here, son, is that you’ve seen your mistake, you’ll learn from it, and you want to make amends. Now, listen to your old man, here, you won’t be a damn bit of good to the woman you love, or your baby, if you don’t quit torturing yourself for making a very human mistake. I may be mistaken, but I’m fairly certain that even Pretenders are human." He added dryly. "Now forgive yourself and get some sleep. We’ll be in Niagara in a few hours."

"Yes, Dad." Jarod smiled briefly, although he knew his feelings of guilt weren’t going to be so easily banished. The Major knew it too, he just wanted his son to get started on the process.

**************************

"Sir, we’ve reached the Falls and we’re looking for the cabin’s neighborhood now." Two voices from two nearly identical goons spoke into different cell phones and to different bosses.

"Good." Rasped Raines feeble voice. "Don’t fail me."

"Excellent." Marion said crisply. "Don’t fail me."