Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

He was sitting in the semi dark of this room. After his little conversation all he wanted was to go away. Somehow he ended up in this motel, somewhere along the road. In front of him a half empty bottle of whisky and his cell phone. Jarod eyed the freshly filled glass and the phone, carefully he picked up the phone, in slow motion he pushed the second number on his speed deal.

****

"This is Sydney", a low voice with a gentle accent said. Seconds later Sydney was about to ask who was there when he finally hear something on the other end.

"Sydney?"

Sydney had trouble identifying this voice as Jarod's. He always sounded different, excited, cheerful, concerned what ever, but he was always clear to understand, but now he slurred, almost as if he was....

"Jarod? Jarod what is up, you are all right?" his words alarmed the other person in the room.

Broots looked from his screen over to the older man.

"Sydney you are alone?

"

The voice slurred again into Sydney's ear.

"No, Broots is with me." He hesitated for a second "Miss Parker is not here. " He finally said.

"Oh good, .... "He paused to focus on his words, his mind was reeling, the alcohol was no help in this. "How could she do this, Sydney? "

There was so much pain in his voice that the older man was not able to answer. To know the young man he cared deeply for, was somewhere alone and wounded, broke his heart. What could he do, there was no refuge for Jarod. No place he could turn.

He had no family, or better to say nobody know where they where, nobody saw the Major or Jay again after they took off from the airfield. He was sure the Centre would follow his every word closely but the urge to ask him where he was so he could go and try to comfort him was nearly overwhelming. Miss Parker had been always been like a daughter to him and with all the incidents around Project Gemini and her actions he really had hoped.. .. dam that she not only looked like Catherine, that she had her heart, her passion.

"Syd, please I need to know...."


Jarod's helpless plea was almost enough to make Sydney cry as well and he thought he had no tears anymore after Jacob's accident and Catherine's death....

But how to answer a question when you do not know the answer there is not even a comforting lie.

"I don't know", he finally stated with a deep sigh.

"Liar! It was a Centre plan. It was all a fake, she tried to set up a trap. She and her lovely brother. Only their plan failed, a baby was not on their schedule, so what to do? No problem, erase what is not wanted. The Chairman's daughter with a child from a Lab rat, this would not look good in her record. I was not even worth enough to her to tell me. Do you know that she had called the baby an accident, a science experiment" The last words he nearly shouted. With all his remaining strength he threw the phone at the next wall, watched it shatter in 1000 pieces like his life.