Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Discoveries
part 2
by Ticon








Sydney looked at his Pretender, wondering what could be wrong. Then he looked down at the box and up at Jarod again adding it up. He carefully closed the door to his office, locked it and drew the curtains in front of the window in the door to ensure that no one would suddenly come in.

Jarod made no move as of trying to get away of make contact with Sydney. He just followed him with his eyes.

Sydney carefully walked across the room to retrieve the box, then he sat down on the couch. He studied everything in there carefully, as if it was the first time he had seen it – determined not to be the one that broke the silence.

This went on for several minutes. Sydney sitting on the couch looking through the box, while Jarod was staring at him – desperate to get his emotions under control and start to think rationally. It appeared that he finally managed because he suddenly spoke.

„I heard what you said earlier - to your son, I mean"

Sydney looked up at sat the box down beside him.

„I said a lot of things to him. What do you mean?"

„That being the biological father doesn’t necessary make you a father. The real father is the one that are there for you when you grow up; watches while you learn new things, helps you up when you fall, bandages your knee when you hurt it and so on"

„That’s right, I said that."

There was a pause until both men looked down.

„Where are you going with this Jarod?"

„I want to know how you could let me believe that I was nothing more than some sort of a guinea pig to you, when in reality I was more!"

Jarod stood up and began to pace.

„You were?"

„Yes! Why else would you save the cards I made you? And why would you make me cards and presents for my birthdays even if you knew that you could never give them to me?!"

Jarod’s voice began to rise, so Sydney stood up and placed a hand on his shoulder. Jarod didn’t accept the gesture so he turned around and walked towards the door.

„You’ve got to calm down Jarod. If you don’t someone will hear you and then you will be captured."

Upon hearing this Jarod spun around and pointed a finger at Sydney as he walked towards his mentor.

„There’s another thing. You don’t want them to catch me, do you?"

„What do you mean? Of course I want you back, I’ve never implied otherwise"

„But you don’t want them to catch me, if you did then you would have called for help now and captured me. And you wouldn’t have stopped Miss Parker from shooting me that time if you didn’t care"

Sidney was at a loss for words. He saw Jarod as the son he never had, that is, the son he thought he didn’t have. But he wouldn’t admit it, because he then knew that Jarod would be more vulnerable.

Just as he opened his mouth to speak did something happen; he could almost describe is as ‘saved by the bell’. Only that this particular bell could get both him and Jarod in trouble if she discovered the prodigy which was standing...., wherever he was standing. He had slipped past him as Sydney focused on the door. Now probably hiding somewhere in the office

„Sydney! Are you in there?? Open the damned door!"
Miss Parker slammed her fist hard in the poor door for the third time.

„I’m in here Miss Parker. Hold on for a second and calm down. I only have one door you know – what would I do if you were to break it?"

Miss Parker walked quickly past Sydney and into the office as he opened the door. She scanned the room before turning towards him.

„Why was your door locked? What’s going on Sydney?"

„Nothing’s going on, miss Parker. You woke me up in the middle of the night for a wild goose-chase after Jarod. I merely locked the door so that I could get some privacy while trying to get some sleep. But yet again, you woke me up."

Ms. Parker took a step towards him, looking his straight into the eyes.

„You slept while we’re closer to finding Jarod than we’ve been for months?!?

„No. -- I slept, but I don’t think that we’re close to finding him"

„Why is that?"

„Jarod is too smart to be caught by a simple air-duct alarm. He knows that we found out how he both ran away, and sneaked in again. Of course he would understand that you’ve secured it."

„You have way too much confidence in your little lab-rat."

Miss Parker took a step away from Sydney, just looking at him.

„And it was a nice explanation you had there, except for one thing – one minor detail."

Sydney crossed his arms over his chest, and then proceeded to move one of his hands up under his chin.

„What are you talking about?"

„You look exactly as you did when I spoke to you ten minutes ago"

„Of course I do, it was only ten minutes, I don’t age that quickly"

„You know what I mean. You even have your jacket still on. Don’t come here and tell me that you sleep in it – that would just be an offence to my intelligence."

Sydney was about to respond when Miss Parker noticed something in the room. She turned away from him.

„You know Sydney – the remark you made earlier about the Center having plenty of rats.....you were right – and I believe that I’ve just found one!

END PART 2




So, what did you think? Want another part? Feedback is the key ;)

(And for those of you that requested this part to be longer – I’m sorry that it didn’t get longer than this, but I also got requests about writing it quickly, so I decided to write it rather quickly and not too long *)