Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chapter 3

Smiling and laughing openly, Parker gazed at the child in the backseat of her new SUV. But even as she laughed at his antics, she scanned the road for anyone following them with an all too practiced eye. They moved whenever the voices told her there was danger, and she had learned to trust the voices implicitly. Not that it had been hard, after all she had always trusted her mother’s voice.

She had enjoyed this last place they had lived. Texas had been a welcome change from Vermont. But then she had been the one to decide to go to Vermont in the winter. They had spent less than a week there, they never stayed anywhere long. Sweet little Ben loved all the travel and was always excited to see new places and meet new people. Parker smiled to herself, there seemed to be very little Parker in him, a fact she was assaulted with every time she looked at him or whenever someone commented that he must look an awful lot like his daddy, since there was nothing of her in him.

Glancing at the rearview mirror she sighed. Texas had been nice, but had proved a close call, they had barely gotten out ahead of the sweeper team and of course, Lyle.

She didn’t know if her psychotic twin also had the Inner Sense, she hoped that if he did then her mother would in some way protect her, but in the last three months Lyle had gotten close many times. Too many for her liking.

Sighing again, she stopped at a cheap motel and for added protection, sold the clerk a story about running from her abusive and powerful husband. The clerk was shocked and horrified, but would keep Lyle and his goons from finding her.

Once in the room Parker allowed herself to feel some guilt over the lie, but the story was a common one that worked well for a woman on the run with a small child, so she kept using it. After tucking Ben into the double bed with his stuffed dog, an adorable created named Snowball, Parker set up her laptop. She quickly created a false trail for Lyle to follow. She couldn’t have him following her for a while. Where she was going they would never forgive her if she led the Centre to their front door. Actually, she wasn’t expecting a great reception anyway, she figured that if they didn’t shoot her on sight then she’d be lucky. But she had to go, for Ben she had to. Even if going was going to break her heart again.

Shutting down the computer she laid down next to Ben to try to get some sleep. Even though she knew a pair of pain-filled brown eyes were only going to haunt her.