Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer in part 2
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Well here it is…..the final part to this story. There's really not much left. Sorry if I don't answer any of the questions some of you had about the other people involved earlier in the story. Truthfully, I didn't know what to do about them so I decided to focus on Jarod and Miss Parker. (If someone would like to do a sequel, or a spin-off involving the other characters, FEEL FREE.) Oh well. Hope some of you enjoy. Thanks for the GREAT feedback—so nice to know my writing don't suck!




"PARADISE---ALMOST"

part 7
by Rachel




Sydney proceeded up on deck to relieve Miss Parker of her watch duty. He came around the corner and spotted the two. Sydney's eyes widened in momentary shock, then he smiled and shook his head. The two "enemies" were snuggled together in a peaceful rest. Miss Parker's legs were slung over Jarod's lap, her arms hanging at her sides, and her head resting on Jarod's chest. Sydney approached the two carefully and put his hand on Miss Parker's shoulders in an attempt to wake her. "Miss Parker," he whispered. She stirred a little and buried her head deeper. Jarod rubbed her head with his cheek and welcomed her closeness. Sydney tried again. "Miss Parker," he said firmer, shaking her a little harder.

Jarod and Miss Parker slowly opened their eyes and tried to focus on the person hovering over them. "Oh hi, Syd" she said grogily. "Syd!" she exclaimed, realizing her position. She hurriedly got up and looked nervously at Sydney, then at Jarod, then at Sydney again. She took a deep breath, straightened her clothes, ran her fingers through her hair, and put on her cool appearance. "I was tired. He was the closest thing to a bed I could find. So I used him, Syd. THAT'S ALL. You have a problem with that?" Sydney shook his head, trying to hide the smirk on his face. Jarod looked on, wondering how they're going to get out of this one. Then Miss Parker walked off, leaving Jarod to face Sydney alone.

Sydney stood in front of Jarod with his arms crossed. Jarod looked off into the distance, avoiding the older man's stare. Then Sydney sat beside Jarod, who turned his head to face Sydney's scornful look. All Jarod could do was shrug his shoulders.

"You two were very careless." Sydney finally said. Jarod looked at him confused.

"What if it was Lyle who found you here? I don't want to think what would have happened to Miss Parker in the hands of Lyle…..But then again, Miss Parker is quite able to take care of herself." Jarod agreed, but Sydney's concern was valid. After a few more silent moments, Sydney asked, "What is going on between you two?"

"Just rekindling a friendship that the Centre has turned to ashes, Syd."

"It's about time you two got along. You've needed each other for so long. Do you have a plan to escape?"

"Yes and no."

Sydney smiled. He hoped that Jarod now has an ally in Miss Parker. This also relieved him to know the he would not be the only one on Jarod's side. Sydney disclosed Lyle's travel plans to Jarod. "When we dock, about 2 hours from now, we have another hour and a half by car. Drake and Stan have rented a small plane to take us back to Honolulu, then back to the Centre on a commercial flight."

"What? No Centre jet?"

"No. Apparently, Stan and Drake bungled up Lyle's plan and the jet blew up."

"This is good information. Thank you."

"When will you make your move? So I can be prepared."

"I'm not sure yet. I don't want to endanger you and Mr. Broots, and especially not Parker. And I don't want to implicate any of you in my escape."

"What can be done about those who are stranded on the island?"

"Parker has already taken care of that." Sydney was surprised at that revelation and felt remorse for accusing her of not caring.

"Don't feel bad, Sydney. She wanted to appear heartless. You helped her pretend."

Sydney sighed. "You pretenders are such a handful." Jarod just smiled at his comment.

The two sat in silence for a long while. No words needed to be spoken.

Two hours later, the boat docked and Jarod was escorted out with his wrists handcuffed behind his back. Miss Parker grumbled at her still sore feet as she stepped on the wooden dock. "Lyle!" she barked. Lyled turned his head toward her. "Yes? Miss Parker?" Lyle said impatiently.

"We need to stop somewhere to get me some shoes and something decent to wear."

"What's wrong with what you have on? Not short and tight enough?"

"Not my choice of color." Miss Parker retorted sarcastically.

"Fine. We'll stop at the town where the airport is. But I doubt you'll find anything open at this hour." Lyle glanced at his watch. It was nearing 4:30 in the morning.

"They'll open," Miss Parker murmured as she touched the gun behind her back. "Have gun will travel."

Lyle urged Jarod on to the awaiting vehicles by shoving the gun on his back.

Stan had rented a two-passenger truck and a small 5-passenger car. Lyle stopped walking and stared at the vehicles, anger flaring. "Where the hell is the limo?"

"Boss, this was all we could find."

"We HAD a limo before we set sail. WHERE IS IT!"

"W-we had to trade it in to settle our account. They would have shot us, Boss." Stan pleaded.

Lyle boiled in anger, contemplating shooting Stan at that moment. Stan read Lyle's thoughts and hurriedly climbed in the truck.

Sydney was told to ride with Stan. At one point during the argument, Jarod glanced at Miss Parker quickly. She gave him a confused look.
She was sure he would make his move to escape while Lyle was dealing with the idiots. Drake drove the car with Broots in front and Jarod sandwiched in the back seat between Miss Parker and Lyle. With Jarod's arms behind his back, there wasn't much room to spare.

The passengers in the car rode in silence. Miss Parker took her hurting foot, hunched over, and inspected it; unconsciously resting her bent leg on Jarod's leg. Jarod looked on, trying not to show worry as Miss Parker unsuccessfully tried to take a splinter out of her foot that she received from the dock.

"GO BACK! I THINK YOU MISSED A DAMN POTHOLE!" She yelled at Drake. Lyle studied Jarod and then whispered in his ear. "Don't try anything, Jarod. You know I wouldn't hesitate
to shoot Mr. Broots. That's one thing you couldn't live with, could you?"

Jarod showed no emotion and was unmoved by Lyle's threat. He knew the extent of what Lyle is capable of. He worried for Broots' and Parker's lives, but he didn't show it.

Miss Parker gave up on her foot. She squirmed her shoulder under Jarod's arm and sat there impatiently. She fiddled with Jarod's fingers behind his back. He stroked her fingers lightly, giving her goose bumps. Miss Parker crossed her arms in front of her abruptly, pushing Jarod over annoyingly with her shoulder. Jarod gave her a frustrated look. Lyle looked over at them and was pleased at the tension between them. Little did he know that the two of them were playing him for a fool.

Broots looked back, nervous. He wasn't sure how to feel. They have Jarod now but he had a bad feeling about things. Deep down he didn't want any harm to come to Jarod……or himself. He decided to shake it off and stare out the window, admiring the beauty of the land as the sun came up over the horizon.

They entered the town and Lyle gave Drake instructions to pull in front of a building. Miss Parker leaned over so she could read the sign in front of the store and winced disgustedly. "You've got to be kidding. Clothes Are Us? It's a bargain store!"

"It's the only place where you'll find the owner AT the store, Miss Parker. You either find something here, or you go with what you have."

"Clothes Are Us? Can they be more original?"

"Whatever you find will look good on you, Miss Parker," Broots commented.

Miss Parker gave Broots a half-hearted smile and held out her hand in front of Lyle. When Lyle didn't comply, she snapped her fingers and widened her eyes at him. "I need cash? What? You expect me to steal the clothes? Though they probably should pay ME for taking them off their racks." Lyle handed her some money and she exited the car. Miss Parker poked her head back in and motioned to Broots. "You look like you could use a new shirt. I'm sure they carry your line of clothing."

"No. Mr. Broots stays in the car. Pick something out for him." Lyle warned. Miss Parker shrugged her shoulders headed toward the front door.

The men watched as Miss Parker banged on the door and screamed for the owner to wake up. Finally a burly, unkempt, shirtless man who looked like he was nine months pregnant, came to the door. He studied Miss Parker up and down tiredly. She held out the wad of cash and he ushered her into the store.

After twenty long and tiresome minutes, Miss Parker finally emerged from the store sporting a matching sleeveless shirt and shorts set. She was also wearing sandals with no heels. Broots was right----she looked good. She got back in the car relieved.

"Where's my shirt, Miss Parker?" Broots asked.

"Couldn't find anything under three bucks."

"Thanks a lot." Broots pouted.

*********************

They drove to the local airstrip and scanned the area for the plane. Lyle slung his jacket over Jarod's shoulders to hide his cuffed hands. They spotted a beautiful plane, similar to the Centre jet, and they headed toward it. When they neared it, the security man motioned for them to stop. They stopped in shock as they saw the stewardess take up the ladder, shut the door, and the plane head toward the runway. The security guy motioned for them to proceed toward a propeller plane that is used for skydiving tourists. Unable to take a step forward, Lyle, turned around to face Stan and Drake, who were hiding behind Sydney.

"THAT is the plane you got for us?" Lyle asked furiously. Stan and Drake nodded meekly.

"Where'd you get it? At Planes Are Us?" Miss Parker was being obnoxious.

"Let's just get back to Honolulu so we can get home." Sydney reasoned. "I'll handle chartering a jet to Blue Cove."

"IDIOTS!!" Lyle blurted out and he shoved Jarod forward harder than Jarod expected.

The pilot greeted them cheerfully and ushered them into the plane. Lyle was in a foul mood by now. Jarod had not said a word the whole trip. Lyle was agitated and anxious at when Jarod would try anything. To make sure he behaves, Lyle pushed Jarod down on the seat and pointed his gun at his face. "Try anything and I will kill someone. You understand me?" Lyle took his coat off Jarod before sitting across from him. Jarod just stared back at him, still unmoved and un-phased.

The plane took off and Lyle sat back, relaxing a little. An hour of this plane ride will be over soon enough. Miss Parker sat next to Jarod, but kept her distance. Everyone else sat away from Lyle, across from Jarod and Miss Parker.

After a few minutes in the air, Miss Parker noticed Sydney swaying unnaturally. Sydney closed his eyes, grabbed his stomach, and began to fall forward, head first on to the floor. Miss Parker stood up quickly and headed toward Sydney to steady him. With one swift move, Jarod slipped his lower body through his cuffed arms, snagged Miss Parker's gun, and had his arm around her neck, the gun pointed at Lyle. "Drop the gun, Lyle." Lyle smirked and moved his eyes toward Broots who was helping Sydney sit up. Lyle stood up and quickly pointed his gun at Broots but before he could fire, Jarod shot his hand, causing Lyle to drop the gun. Jarod pointed at Drake and Stan to keep still. "Mr. Broots," Jarod ordered, "grab his gun, and theirs, too (pointing at Drake and Stan), and put it in the corner. Get the key from Lyle's pocket and undo these cuffs." Broots nervously, but quickly did what Jarod asked. Lyle sat back down and held his bleeding hand.

Miss Parker was not happy. For the second time, she was threatened with her own gun. Jarod backed up toward the cockpit, still holding Miss Parker by the neck.

"What is going on out there?" the pilot asked angrily. He turned and noticed Jarod holding a gun, and Miss Parker, and shut his mouth quickly. Jarod saw the fear on his face and reassured the man that he won't hurt him. The pilot looked Jarod in the eyes and believed him.

"Hand me your parachute." Jarod said. "And go up to skydiving altitude."

The pilot nodded and handed Jarod his parachute. "It's extra large, to accommodate my robust form." The pilot informed him.

"Perfect. Hand me those extra straps."

"What do you need those for?" Miss Parker questioned.

"Ready for a rush, Miss Parker?"

"Oh no. Please don't tell me you're thinking what I think you're thinking." Miss Parker said nervously.

Jarod let go of Miss Parker momentarily but still held her gun, making sure it was visible to all. He put on the parachute and secured the extra straps on it.

"Please, Jarod. DON'T….DO….THIS. Why do you have to do this?" Miss Parker begged.

"This way, I make sure I get away." Jarod made their way back to the others and stood in front of the open doorway, with Miss Parker closer to the edge. Miss Parker tried to scoot away from the edge, but Jarod blocked her way, unbalancing her a little that all she could do was hang on to his arm that was still around her neck.

"Don't attempt to follow. By the time you get down, I'll be long gone. And don't try to help Miss Parker, she'll get back to the Centre soon enough. If you try to find her, I will make her discomfort unbearable. You wouldn't want to be responsible for her misfortune now ,would you?"

"Wh-what do you mean, she'll get back to the Centre? She doesn't have a parachute." Broots was now getting really panicky. Jarod gave him a grin and pushed Miss Parker off the plane.

"JAAARROOOOOOD!!!!" Miss Parker cried as she plummeted down to earth.

"Miss Parker!!" Broots yelled, not able to catch his breath.

Jarod put her gun in his jeans and waved. "Oops. Gotta go." And Jarod jumped. Broots sat back down stunned and looked over at the defeated Lyle, then at Sydney. Sydney was hunched over with his head in his hands, hiding the smile on his face.

*******

Miss Parker was falling on her back, her arms flailing around in the air, yelling Jarod's name. Jarod tucked his arms to his side and bulleted down to Miss Parker, reaching her in seconds. He grabbed her by the waist and secured her to the unopened parachute that was attached to him.

Miss Parker glared at him and yelled, "….GOING TO DIE!!"

"Relax, Parker. We're not going to die. I've done this before."

"I said, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE BECAUSE I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!!!"

Jarod just smiled at her and pulled the cord. The impact caused Miss Parker to wrap her arms around Jarod's neck and cling to him for dear life.

"Now the landing might be kind of tricky, so you have to do exactly what I tell you. Are you with me, Miss Parker?"

Miss Parker nodded, tightening her grip on Jarod. "I'm still going to kill you." She whispered in his ear.

Jarod and Miss Parker touched down on a marshy field without much trouble. Jarod untangled them from the chute and they sloshed their way up to the road, with Miss Parker walking in front of him in a huff. Jarod called after her apologizing. "I'm sorry, Parker!"

Miss Parker stopped mid-stride, turned, and faced Jarod. "I can't believe you pushed me off the plane!"

"I had to make it look good."

"I was scared out of my mind!"

"Did you feel the rush?" Jarod asked excitedly.

"Here's a rush for you." Miss Parker punched him in the gut with all the strength she could muster. She was satisfied to see Jarod receive her hit with a painful grunt.

"You feel better now?" Jarod asked painfully.

"Much." Miss Parker turned and walked off again. Jarod watched her, and with a mischievous smile on his face, caught up to her and scooped her up in his arms. "Wouldn't want you get your shoes wet."

"Too late." Miss Parker held on to Jarod's neck and shoulders. She turned his head toward hers and she gave him a tender kiss on the lips.

"What was that for?"

"For buying me a couple of days in paradise."

"We are going to have so much fun!" Jarod exclaimed, giving her a short kiss on the lips before picking up the pace of his walking.

"I need a serious bath." Miss Parker grumbled.

Jarod carried Miss Parker all the way to the road and they hitched a ride with a farmer to the nearest town.

With the leftover cash Miss Parker received from Lyle, they could only take the bus that was headed to Waikiki. They got to the city and went into a bank.

"Last time I was in a bank with you, it got robbed, people got shot, and we got locked up in a vault. Not a very pleasant experience, Jarod." Miss Parker reminded him.

"This time it's different. I won't bite your head off, you won't give me looks that could kill."

Jarod widrew a large sum of money from an international account and ,they walked out of the building, ignoring strange looks from the other customers.

"That's not my money, is it?" Miss Parker questioned.

"Nope. Thought we should have a little fun---courtesy of the Centre."

"You are a twisted, conniving, little rat, Jarod." Miss Parker smiled.

They found a fancy hotel by the beach and checked into a room. While Jarod paid for the room, Miss Parker waited in the seating area, practically falling asleep on the chair. The bellboy opened the door to the suite and Miss Parker gasped at the sight of the elegant room. She walked out to the balcony and admired the magnificent view of the ocean. She slowly breathe in the warm air, closing her eyes in delight. "This is wonderful."

Miss Parker came back in the room and found that Jarod has disappeared. Hearing the running water in the bathroom, she smiled a pleased smile and headed there seductively, peeling off her clothes and discarding them on the floor. She entered the bathroom and found the water filling the tub, but no Jarod. Disappointed, with a hint of anger, she turned toward the mirror to look at herself and found the note he had left.

Parker,

Take your bath, get some sleep. I'll be back later.

Jarod

"Great. I'm in paradise and I'm alone. You'd BETTER be back later." She mumbled to herself. She slipped into the tub and she let the hot water engulf her, easing away all the tension from her tired body. She closed her eyes and let her thoughts wander to wild fantasies and romances in this paradise---almost. "Soon," she daydreamed, "soon, I'll get what I want."


* The End*