Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer in part 2

AUTHOR'S NOTE: You probably figured that Jarod will escape and Miss Parker will get what she wants (when, is the question). Should I go ahead and write it or stop here? I mean, they're off the island. I fear folks might be getting "tired" of this sort of story--when they already know what's going to happen. Personally, I enjoy writing, and reading, about the relationships and the banter back and forth between the characters. TELL ME. TELL ME. TELL ME. (Please?) Is this the cheater way of asking for feedback? This part is okay--nothing too exciting. If there's a next part, more FUN stuff.



"PARADISE---ALMOST"

part 6
by Rachel





Miss Parker took a few moments to think and admire the yacht before heading down to the control room. "I could just take this and sail off into the wild blue sea---away from Lyle, away from the Centre, away from the geeks, away from the bimbos. But away from Jarod? Hmmmm. Boy, I need a life. I'm becoming attached to the Lab Rat! But damn! It feels good!"

***

BACK ON SHORE

Jarod got on shore, picked up his shoes, socks, and shirt that were discarded on the sand, and proceeded toward the fire.

The whole time, the group was quiet. Most of them can't figure out Lyle. After a while, Linda looked up and spotted Jarod emerging from the darkness. Her eyes beamed and Lyle looked back. "Finally." He grumbled. Lyle stood up and motioned for Broots, Sydney, Drake, and Stan to follow. Linda also stood and Lyle trained his gun on her. "No, no, no, pretty lady. You stay with the others."

"You are going to call for their rescue, right?" Broots asked nervously.

"Oh sure, Mr. Broots. As a matter of fact, I already did, before we got here." That gave the group a hint of hope until Lyle confessed, "We sent out a distress call about a shipwrecked vessel. But………my calculations might have been a bit off and sent them about 100 miles from here." Drake and Stan began to snicker. "I'm sure they're looking for you now." Lyle, Drake, and Stan started laughing out loud.

"You can't just leave them here." Jarod said menacingly.

"I can do whatever I want." Lyle gloated and he hit Jarod across the face, splitting his lip. "That's for your playmate keeping us here longer than I planned. I couldn't hit HER , now, could I?" Jarod wiped the blood from his lip and stared at Lyle hatefully.

"Never stopped him before." Broots whispered to Sydney. Sydney gave Broots the "shh" look.

The six men got in the raft. Lyle turned and waved to the stranded people on the shore. "Bye, bye, people. Watch out for the savages." Drake and Stan snickered again.

"Noooo! Mr. Lyle! Please!!! Take me with you!!" Linda screamed after them. "No! No! No! Please!!" She began kicking and screaming and wailing. The others stood there stunned. What do they do now?

"Miss Parker will help us." Sarah said confidently. "I trust her."

"But she's Lyle's sister. It's obvious they're in on this whole thing together," the captain argued.

"I trust Miss Parker…. and Jarod." Bill remarked. "They'll find a way to help us."

"Yeah, and Broots and Sydney, too." Tom replied.

"I hope you're all correct." The Captain sighed. "But remember, if, I mean, when we get rescued, not a word to anyone about what happened here. I don't really understand what happened here—I feel like I was just in the Twilight Zone. I don't trust that Mr. Lyle. He's an evil man." Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Will someone slap her? (pointing to Linda who was still throwing afit) She's hysterical." Sarah said casually.

The men got to the boat and boarded it. Lyle looked around and didn't find Miss Parker on deck. She finally emerged from below. Still holding his gun, Lyle walked toward her and eyed her suspiciously.

"Thanks for the clothes, Lyle. And the food and champagne." Miss Parker said smugly.

Stopping in front of Miss Parker, Lyle ran the barrel of his gun up her arm and stopped close to her neck. "You didn't send out a distress call, did you? Sis?"

"Why would I do that, Lyle?" Miss Parker hissed. "I don't care about those people, especially that blond. I could care less if she rots there."

Lyle smiled. "For a minute there, I thought you were going soft on me."

"Don't think too hard. You might hurt yourself." And Miss Parker walked off toward the others.

Miss Parker noticed the cut on Jarod's lip and winced. She avoided looking him the eyes in fear of giving away anything. "What's with the blood on Wonder-boy?"

"Lyle hit him." Broots explained, looking at her disappointedly. Miss Parker looked over at Sydney and he was looking at her with anger.

"What's with you two?" She questioned.

"Miss Parker," Sydney growled, "I thought you had a heart."

"What are you talking about, Syd?"

"Why won't you help those people stranded on that island?"

"Guess you got me all figured wrong." Miss Parker said, while Lyle smiled behind her. Jarod looked at her with contempt, convincing Lyle of where her loyalties lie.

"Drake!" Lyle ordered, "handcuff Jarod to the rail. Stan, get this baby moving. Gentlemen, let's go down below and celebrate. We need to take turns watching Jarod and since Parker already helped herself to the food and champagne, she gets the first watch." Drake caught the handcuffs that were thrown to him and led Jarod to the side by gunpoint. He pushed Jarod down by the shoulders to a sitting position and cuffed his hands behind his back to one of the vertical railings. Drake offered his gun to Miss Parker but she pulled out her own from the holster behind her back to show him she didn't need his. Then Drake walked away to join the others.

Making sure that Drake has disappeared, Miss Parker kneeled beside Jarod and caressed his lip with her thumb, her fingers resting on his cheek. "Are you alright?"

"Why don't you kiss is and make it better?" Jarod asked invitingly.

Miss Parker hesitated for a second, staring into his brown eyes, then she did it. She kissed him—ever so lightly, so softly, so tenderly, lingering, cradling his wounded lip with her own lips. She slowly pulled away and smiled at him. "Did that help?"

"Now I know who to call when I have an injury."

Miss Parker smiled at him again and sat down, hugging her knees, gazing up into the star-lit sky. Silence fell between them, but it was a comfortable silence.

"So? Do you have a plan?" Miss Parker asked without looking at him.

"No."

Miss Parker turned her head but Jarod continued to look up into the sky. "Look at me, Jarod." Jarod turned his head and Miss Parker saw the twinkle in his eye. Miss Parker smiled and accused him. "Liar. Just don't do it during my watch. I don't want to get blamed for your escape."

Jarod shifted and Miss Parker noticed his discomfort. "Sorry you had to be handcuffed."

"I've been in worse positions before."

"Oh yeah? What's her name?" Miss Parker teased.

"What?!"

Miss Parker just grinned at him and scooted closer, rubbing his arm. She wrapped her arms around his arm and leaned her head on his shoulder. Jarod responded by laying his head gently on hers.

"You know Jarod, I didn't realize a small make-out session with you would change anything."

"What are you feeling right now, Miss Parker?"

"I feel free. We're playing a dangerous game here, Jarod. But damn! I don't care. It feels great! I feel like I'm conspiring something with a friend. I have this secret against the Centre and they can't do a damn thing about it. Remember when we used to sneak around the Centre trying to outsmart that ghoul, Raines? We'd get away and wow! What a rush! I feel that rush now…..with you."

"We couldn't have done it without Angelo."

"Yeah, Angelo."

"So Parker? If I tried to escape, you won't stop me?"

"Let's put this way, Jarod, I still haven't gotten what I want."

"What, I mean who, is it that you want, Miss Parker?" Jarod said with a smile in his voice.

"You're the genius, figure it out."

"Well, I know it isn't Mr. Broots."

Miss Parker jerked her head up and questioned Jarod. "How do you know about that?"

"I have my ways. Poor man. He not only gets his daily abuse from you, you had to break his heart, too."

"I let him down easy. Told him I was flattered."

Jarod bent down and kissed Miss Parker gently on the lips. Miss Parker leaned her head on his shoulder again and snuggled closer. Jarod tried to accommodate her form as best he could.

"I've missed you, Jarod." Miss Parker said sleepily.

"I've missed you, too, Parker."

Miss Parker shut her eyes and dozed off. Jarod tried to stay alert worried that if Lyle found them like this, they would both be shark bait.