Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER IN PART 1



"The Doctor Is In"
epilogue
by Rachel




„Are you sure you don’t want me to take you to the airport?" Jarod asked hoping she’d change her mind.

„I’m sure. It’s too dangerous for us to be seen together in public." Miss Parker squeezed him tighter around the neck, not wanting to let go. „I miss you already," she said, tickling his ear with her breath.

Jarod and Miss Parker held each other tightly, knowing they have to let go sometime, but their hearts and bodies don’t seem to want to cooperate. She heard the ticking of her watch and sighed. „I’ll miss my flight, Jarod."

„Good", he mumbled.

„Come on, Jarod, let go. It won’t be any easier later."

„Nope. Not letting go. I can’t. My arms have a mind of their own."

Miss Parker looked into his eyes and saw so much love for her she shivered. It gets harder and harder every time, parting. They both knew it and felt it.

„I have to go," she whispered sadly.

„I know. I love you."

„I love you, too."

They kissed one last time and she slowly peeled herself from his embrace, making their contact last as long as possible until only their fingertips was touching. With one small step back, they were completely separated. Miss Parker walked out of the apartment, giving Jarod a small wave and a final ‘I love you’. Jarod stood in the doorway and watched her walk away. He knows he should just go back in the apartment and shut the door, but he couldn’t. Every part of him wanted to just run after her and hold her one last time. She’d probably get mad--that would show how weak he is. But he’s only weak when it came to her. She’d understand, wouldn’t she?

Miss Parker walked slowly, talking herself into not looking back at him, because if she did, she would end up running back into his arms--then the whole goodbye thing would start all over again. ‘Don’t look back. Don’t look back!’ ‘But I just want to see him one last time’ and she attempted to turn her head. ‘NO!’ her mind screamed and she held her head forward. Then she realized she has quit walking. She looked down at her feet and she was just standing there, in the middle of the hallway. ‘MOVE, FEET!’ she ordered, but they didn’t obey. Well, you can probably imagine what came next. Two strong-willed people, unable to conquer their weakness: each other.

****

AT THE CENTRE
TWO DAYS LATER


Miss Parker, Broots, and Sydney stood around in her office talking and laughing about Miss Parker’s recent excursion with Jarod.

„Would you really have left those women with the pigs?" Broots asked amused. Miss Parker nodded, unable to hold in a laugh. „In a heartbeat."

„Naked?"

„Oh yeah. To think of it, that’s something I’d like to do to Lyle." They all burst out laughing at the thought of Mr. Lyle naked in a truck full of pigs.

„What’s so funny?" Lyle asked as he walked toward the three hyenas.

„It’s a private joke." Miss Parker sneered, putting a hand on Broots’ shoulder.

„I see you botched up another job, Parker." Lyle said smugly, anger evident in his voice.

„I guess I underestimated Jarod’s attachment to his woman. I was lucky to get out alive." Miss Parker noticed how Lyle got disgusted at the sight of her and Broots, so she lovingly caressed Broots’ cheek. „A man in love is unstoppable. Right Broots?" She said, winking at Broots. „But you wouldn’t know anything about that, would you, Lyle? You don’t even know what it’s like to be liked," she said lightly. Mr. Lyle clenched his teeth and glared at her. The tension was thick. Lyle knew he was outnumbered. The interruption of someone knocking on the door didn’t help his outrage.

„Come in!" Miss Parker called out. „I have a package for Mr. Lyle."

Lyle grabbed the box and inspected it. Miss Parker, Broots, and Sydney looked at each other, shrugging their shoulders in confusion.

„Who is it from?" Broots asked.

„Doesn’t say."

„Hope it’s not a bomb. I’d hate to have to clean up my office." Miss Parker joked lightly, thinking the ‘present’ might be from Jarod.

Lyle opened the package and studied the contents of the box, not letting the three see what was inside. His eyes narrowed and his face began to scowl. He slowly pulled out the content and held it out for them to see. At the sight of it, Miss Parker clenched at Broots’ shoulder and bit her lower lip. She fought hard to control herself from laughing out loud. Her eyes were beginning to water and she was trying to hold her breath. Broots and Sydney were struggling to keep calm. Most of Broots discomfort was coming from Miss Parker’s nails that were digging into his shoulder, but it was still secondary to his urge to burst.

Lyle was livid. „Another sick joke from that damned Pretender!" He slammed the thing on Miss Parker’s desk stormed out of her office.

The three let out unbridled fits of laughter. Lyle’s gift was a toy truck with miniature plastic pigs and a naked doll highly resembling Mr. Lyle’s face. The ringing of the phone finally calmed them a little.

„What?" Miss Parker answered the phone between breaths.

„Are you alright?" Jarod asked at the other end.

„I’m perfect. Did I ever tell you that your timing is impeccable?" Miss Parker asked still very amused.

„I do my best. I presume Lyle got his gift?"

„Is it a clue to your whereabouts?"

„I’m helping a farmer find out what’s killing his herd. I’ll tell you about it later."

„Talk to you soon, „Babe"." Miss Parker hung up the phone and laughed again. Then she laughed harder when she realized Jarod probably didn’t get the „Babe" pun.


THE END