Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: I wish I owned the rights to the characters of Jarod, Miss Parker, Sydney, and Broots—but I don't. So please, don't sue me.

SUMMARY: In this little story, Jarod and Miss Parker have been together for a while. She still works at the Centre and Jarod still does his Pretender stuff and they get together whenever they can. This is one of their little adventures together.

PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK and tell me what you think (Good or bad--it's the only way I'll improve my writing.) Thanks.




"The Doctor Is In"

Part 1
by Rachel




FRIDAY EVENING
JAROD'S APARTMENT


Jarod put the final touches on the dinner table he set for him and her, but mostly for her. He smiled at the thought of her. His heart fluttered every time he thought of her. She is the most important person in his life. Tonight has to be perfect. It has been over two weeks since he'd seen her. He wondered how she would be. She's probably mad as hell not hearing from him for two weeks. It wasn't his fault and it wasn't on purpose. He'd explain it all to her when she got there. He felt nervous and excited at the same time—he played all the scenarios in his head but came up empty on how she would treat him. It could go either way. His thoughts were interrupted by a slight, hesitant knock on the door. "That can't be her" he said to himself. "For one, she would probably kick the door down before she knocked." Jarod buttoned up the shirt he was wearing and went to open the door.

"Dr. Jamieson? Can I come in?" the woman said meekly. She was the new patient that he saw that morning at the Psychiatric Clinic.

"What are you doing here, Barbara?"

"I followed you. I've been sitting in my car for the past two hours. I had to see you. You are the only one who can help me. You are the only one who seemed to understand me and relate to me."

"Barbara, it's not good for a patient and her doctor to see each other outside the Clinic."

"I know Doctor, but….but….." Barbara broke into sobs. Jarod lead her inside and sat her down on the couch.

***************************

THAT MORNING
MISS PARKER'S OFFICE


Miss Parker was in her usual foul mood today--she has been for the past two weeks. She hasn't heard from him in two weeks—TWO WEEKS. At first she was disappointed, then she got worried, then she got scared—what if something horrible happened to him?—but now she's angry, angry as hell. How dare he just disappear on her. How dare he not think of how she would feel. How dare he. Her anger now is turning to worry again—but she was still angry. Sydney and Broots have been keeping their distance. They wondered if not hearing from Jarod for two weeks had anything to do with her bad attitude. They were right. She constantly hounded them about news on Jarod. When they had none, she would storm out of the room with a "Hmmpf!"

But this morning was different. Broots peeked into Miss Parker's office holding a small package.

"M-Miss Parker? I-I have a….." Before he could even finish a sentence, Miss Parker pulled him completely in her office, grabbed the package from his hands and started ripping at it like a wild animal that has been deprived of food for a long time and meat was thrown at its feet.

"Is it from Jarod?" Broots asked nervously.

Miss Parker didn't even acknowledged his presence. She just kept on studying and fingering the contents of the package.

Without emotion, or maybe a combination of all emotions, she grabbed Broots by the arm and pushed him out the door. "Let's go."

**************************************

BACK AT JAROD'S APARTMENT

Jarod knelt in front of Barbara and tried to calm her by talking gently and lowly. It seemed to work at first but when she starts to talk, she breaks into sobs again, burying her face in her hands. Jarod didn't know what to do. Then all of a sudden, she lunges at Jarod, wrapping her arms around his neck, sobbing on his chest. Jarod felt very uncomfortable. He tried to pry her arms from his neck, but no success. With his mind concentrated on getting loose, he didn't hear the unlocking and opening of the door.

The door wildly swung open and a VERY angry woman stood in the doorway.

"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??!!" she said with so much menace and venom it caused Jarod and Barbara to turn their heads towards her and freeze in fear.

Miss Parker has arrived.

Jarod was in big trouble. Miss Parker entered the room and paced like a predator stalking its prey.

Jarod VERY slowly got up, urging Barbara to do the same, and VERY slowly headed toward the door where Sydney and Broots were standing. Jarod kept his sight fixed on Miss Parker, at the same time making sure NO ONE made any sudden movements.

"Sydney, this is Barbara.", Jarod whispered. "Would you and Broots take her home?" Broots and Sydney proceeded to leave the apartment, so many questions in their minds, but not daring to ask any.

"And Sydney?", turning his back on Miss Parker and looking at the older man, hopefully looking for understanding, Jarod pleaded, " Could you talk to Barbara? She really needs a friend right now. I'll deal with the jealous wildcat." Jarod grinned at his own comment, making Sydney even more curious, but decided to let Miss Parker deal with Jarod alone—or vice versa.

Jarod shut the door slowly, taking in deep breaths, his back still toward Miss Parker—knowing she was glaring at him. The hair on the back of his head stood. His mind battled on how to approach her. How do you approach an angry tiger?

He could give her the "I'm sorry" look. That wouldn't work. Or….he could give her the "I missed you" look. No. Maybe he could try to match her "angry" look. She would probably shoot him. Jarod went for the "defeated" look. He slowly turned around to face her. "I can explain." He begged.

"OVER TWO WEEKS, JAROD! I DIDN'T HEAR FROM YOU FOR OVER TWO DAMNED WEEKS! AND THEN I FIND YOU WITH ANOTHER WOMAN?! I'M NOT GIVING YOU A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN. WE'RE THROUGH!"

"I've missed you." Jarod said calmly, as if he didn't hear her outburst. He just stood there and looked at her with that grin of his. Dumb move on his part. Now she's really furious.

"Ggrrrrr!!!" She growled at him. "You are NOT going to charm your way out of this one!" She poked him so hard on the chest he was sure it was going to leave a bruise.

"But I DID miss you." He gave her his most pathetic look. She turned her back to him and clenched her fists.

"You are hopeless!" She was weakening—a little. "I'm hopelessly in love with you." Jarod wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her neck. Another not-so-smart move at the moment. Or maybe it was. For a second she didn't resist, but then he was rewarded with a sharp elbow jab in the gut.

"Ow!"

"Serves you right." She turned around and stared at him while he held his stomach.

"Can I explain now?"

"Fine."

"Would you like to sit?"

Miss Parker walked toward the couch and for the first time noticed the beautiful table setting—complete with candles, fine silverware, and champagne chilling in the ice.

"I'll stand." She said defiantly.

Jarod noticed how hurt she looked when she saw the table and he tried to reach out to her but she pulled away from his touch.

"I did this for you, you know" Jarod pointed at the table.

Miss Parker just stood there with her arms crossed across her chest and said nothing.

"Barbara, the woman that was here," Jarod began, noticing Miss Parker cringe at the mention of her name, "is a patient at the Psychiatric Clinic." Miss Parker had a disgusted look on her face, but still said nothing. Jarod sighed at her reactions and continued.

"I signed on at the Clinic yesterday to investigate a case on some missing children. Barbara came in this morning to talk about her two missing kids. She followed me here. She said I was the only one who understood her and really cared about her. She seemed so lost. Nothing happened." Jarod shifted on his feet. Miss Parker was unmoved, but her shoulders seemed slightly more relaxed.

"Now, about the two weeks of absence…." Jarod said cautiously. Miss Parker tensed up again. "I was in a bad accident two weeks ago." Jarod thought he saw slight panic in Miss Parker's eyes, but she held her ground, holding on to the stone expression she has perfected.

"I was driving out in the country in a bad rainstorm and I didn't see the deer cross the road until it was too late. I swerved to try and miss it and with the wet road, I slid and hit a tree then I blacked out. I woke up in someone's house but I couldn't remember who I was, where I was going, what I do. I couldn't remember a thing. The house belonged to a farmer and his family—they found me. Apparently I crashed right in front of their property. For over a week they nursed me back to health. Still, I couldn't remember who I was, except for a vision of a very beautiful woman, with piercing blue eyes, that kept invading my mind. I kept seeing your face, Parker. Then, talk about a turn of events. The farmer and his wife insisted I stay with them, but not only insisted, they forcefully wanted me to stay with them. They wanted me to marry their daughter. Then I started to regain my memory. Lucky for me, the girl was in love with a guy down the road. Her parents didn't approve of him so they banned her from seeing him. She helped me get out of there and get my things back. I hit the road and came here. I'm really sorry, Parker."

Jarod wasn't sure if Miss Parker believed his story or not. She just stood there and stared at him, making him nervous. The tension abated a little, but it was still thick. The phone rang and Jarod was relieved at the distraction, hurrying to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Jarod, I need you to come to Clinic tonight. I know you said you had plans but I'm really needing some man-power right now."

"I can't, John…..wait,,,," Jarod turned to look at Miss Parker and she showed no indication of forgiveness. Turning his back on her again, he resigned to go back to the Clinic.

"I guess I can come over, seems that I can't resolve anything here tonight."

Then Jarod felt a firm grasp on his arm from behind and a shiver ran up his spine at the low and threatening voice of Miss Parker. "You are not going anywhere."

"I am not going anywhere." Jarod repeated on the phone. "Sorry, John, I guess I can't make it back after all."

"Oh, never mind, Jarod. Dr. Stevens just walked in. Good luck."

"Thanks, bye."

"Parker…..I…."

Miss Parker turned Jarod around, wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him on the lips. Jarod's momentary shock quickly diminished and he returned the passionate kiss.

"Does this mean you forgive me?" Jarod asked between kisses.

"No. I just want to use you."

Jarod smiled and kissed her again.

"I've missed you, Parker."

"And I could hurt you for making me miss you so much."

"I love you, you stubborn, beautiful woman."

"And I love you, you pain in the ass."

"You know, now that I have you in my arms, I'm never letting you go."

"You better not."

"And if you keep kissing me like that you may never see the outside world again. I'm gonna keep you here and tell the Centre you've been kidnapped by a madman."

"You threatening me, Rat-boy?"

"Speaking of threats, remind me NEVER to make you jealous again."

"Damn right. If I ever see you in another woman's arms again, I shoot first, ask questions second. And I don't mean shoot her, either."

"Hey, since you're here, want to help me with another case?"

"Doing what and for how long?"

"A week, tops. Oh, and you have to pretend you're my wife."

"Hhmmn. I can handle the week off, but the wife part?"

"It wouldn't be that bad to be married to me, would it?"

"Let me think about that one."

"Ha. Ha."

"Do I have to cook for you?"

"Oh please, NO!"

"Hey!" Miss Parker smacked Jarod on the chest. "So, my dear Jarod, you said you set that table for me. Do I get my dinner now?"

"Um, why don't we have dessert first." And with that, Jarod slung Miss Parker over his shoulder and carried her to the bedroom. She let out a playful squeal and grabbed onto his back for support.

2 HOURS LATER

Miss Parker walked out of the bedroom wearing one of Jarod's shirts and Jarod followed her dressed only in his boxer shorts.

"Where's that dinner? I'm starved."

"Give me a chance to heat it up."

Miss Parker sat at the table and inspected it approvingly while Jarod got busy with the meal.

"So? What do I have to do as Mrs…, who are you this week anyway?"

"Dr. Jarod Jamieson."

"Mrs. Jamieson?"

"You'll accompany me to a formal gathering tomorrow night honoring a top group of Psychiatrists in the area."

"Ooohh—I get to go shopping for a dress."

"And, you have to try and get in with the circle of wives. I hear they're a tight group of spoiled, rich women. I have a feeling they're the key to this case."

"Great, " Miss Parker said dryly, " I have to hob-nob with the snobby bitches."

"You should fit right in."

Miss Parker gave Jarod a "You're such a jerk" look. Jarod walked behind her and placed the food in front of her, then leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"You were thinking the same thing."

"So?!"

Jarod kissed her softly on the lips before he walked over and sat down opposite her.

"Jerk," she muttered.

Jarod looked down at his plate and began eating, smiling from ear to ear.

*******************

THAT EVENING AT THE BANQUET

Jarod and Miss Parker arrived at the banquet and looked around the surroundings. There were about 200 people there milling around the room drinking champagne and eating fancy hors d'ouvres. Jarod squeezed Miss Parker around the waist before going further into the room. "Are you ready for this?" He asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be. Did I tell you you look quite handsome tonight?"

"Why, thank you, Mrs. Jamieson. Did I tell you you look gorgeous?"

"About 30 times already." Miss Parker smiled. Jarod looked around the room again and spotted the four men that were being honored that night. The two headed toward them, nodding at the others as they passed them.

"Good evening gentlemen." Jarod extended his hand to the four men.

"Congratulations on you accomplishments." The men shook Jarod's hand, eyeing Miss Parker and smiling at her.

"And you are?" One of the men asked.

"I'm Dr. Jarod Jamieson, the new psychiatrist at the Memorial Clinic. This is my wife Marissa." Miss Parker held out her hand and one by one the men reached for it and gave it a light kiss.

"We want to introduce you to our wives." One of the men said, looking about the room trying to spot his wife. "Oh, there they are. Come on. They are going to be pleased to meet you, Dr. Jamieson. And of course, you too, Mrs. Jamieson."

The four men walked ahead of Jarod and Miss Parker, giving them a chance to talk without being heard.

"Did you see that?" Miss Parker said in a hushed and annoyed tone. "They looked at me like I'm some piece of merchandise. I did not like the way they were looking at me. I usually don't mind getting compliments, but those men are like vultures and I'm just a piece of meat."

"Oh? I didn't notice." Jarod remarked ignorantly.

"Yeah, right, Jarod, you didn't notice." Miss Parker said sarcastically. "You practically cut the circulation off my waist, holding me so tight."

Jarod just looked at her and grinned.

They reached the group of women and immediately they pounced on Jarod with their eyes, probably imagining him naked. Miss Parker noticed how the women were practically drooling at the sight of him. Miss Parker elbowed Jarod in the ribs and smiled at the fact that he was oblivious to their lustful stares--unless of course he was just pretending to not notice.

"Ladies, this is Dr. and Mrs. Jarod Jamieson. He's the new psychiatrist at the Memorial Psychiatric Clinic."

"Hellooo, Dr. Jamieson. I'm Sabina Strand," she introduced herself, dragging every syllable she uttered, extending her limp hand to Jarod.

"Please call me Jarod. And this is Marissa." Miss Parker and Sabina gave each other half smiles before turning their attention to the other women.

The other three women were as obviously seductive to Jarod as Sabina. They introduced themselves as Bonnie Tanner, Lara Sampson, and Kara Hale. After some more "pleasantries", the men coaxed Jarod to join them, leaving Miss Parker with the other wives. Miss Parker wasn't intimidated but she was definitely determined to figure out what these women were up to--especially if it had to do with Jarod. She becameespecially curious when Bonnie's husband mentioned that they hoped she and Jarod would join in their *special arrangement * between the husbands and wives.