Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER IN PART 1



"The Doctor Is In"

Part 3
by Rachel





The ceremonies concluded and everyone piled out of the room. Jarod and Miss Parker waited a little bit to say good bye to the four couples. One of the men shook Jarod's hand heartily and reminded him of their talk earlier. "Think about our proposal, Jarod. You won't be disappointed." Jarod gave him a nod and a smile. Then the men turned their attention to Miss Parker and kissed her hand again. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Jamieson." Miss Parker gave them a seductive smile, ignoring the tightened grip Jarod had on her arm. "The pleasure was all mine," she said slowly, causing the men to appear hypnotized.

The ladies smiled at each other. "See you tomorrow, Marissa."

"Tomorrow it is." Miss Parker responded.

Jarod and Miss Parker got in their car and as Jarod drove off, Miss Parker rested her head on the back of the seat heavily. "Ugh. That was the longest, most uninteresting ceremony I have ever been to. Next time you have to go to one of those, remind me I have other plans." Miss Parker closed her eyes and thoughts of her conversation with the ladies put a smirk on her face again.

Jarod looked over to her and questioned her. "Are you going to let me in on the joke, Parker?"

"No. I can't. Not yet. There's still some things I have to work out."

"What's there to work out? What did you find out?" Jarod was getting somewhat annoyed at her secrecy.

Miss Parker saw the hurt on his face and touched his cheek tenderly. "I'm having lunch with the ladies tomorrow to see if I fit in with their little group. You're right, there's something deceitful about them and they're up to something. I get all the details tomorrow. They told me that their husbands are looking for a new partner. Is that what the proposal was all about?"

"Yes. They offered a very handsome package."

"What's the catch?" Miss Parker asked suspiciously, wondering if the "deal" was revealed to Jarod.

Jarod eyed her with a confused look. "What do you mean, `what's the catch' "?

Miss Parker looked at him innocently, realizing he's clueless. "Nothing."

"There's something you're not telling me, Parker."

"Tomorrow, my dear, after I get all the details."

"Details to what?"

"Whatever they are up to."

"They're just going to tell you everything?" he asked unsure.

"Well, sort of. Will you trust me on this? I will find out what's going on. Believe me, you'll get your chance to get involved in this little pretend." Miss Parker blew him a kiss. Jarod shook his head and resigned to let her have her little fun-- she seemed like she's really enjoying her position. He leaned over and gave her a kiss, letting her know he's going to let this go for now.

"I have to stop at the office for a minute. I had some information on the doctors sent to me and it didn't come before I got home. Do you mind?"

"Not at all." `Good,' she thought, `this will give me a chance to call Sydney.'

Jarod parked the car and went into the building, leaving Miss Parker to wait in the car.

"This is Sydney."

"Syd, I……"

"Miss Parker, is everything alright?" Sydney questioned her abruptly.

"Everything's fine. I have something to tell you, and I need your help."

"What is it, Miss Parker?"

Miss Parker told Sydney her involvement with Jarod and the predicament she's in. Sydeny offered the help she needed and Miss Parker went on to call Broots.

"Hello?" Broots answered the phone from his home.

"Broots, I need you to do something for me." Miss Parker said.

"Miss Parker? What's going on? Is everything alright?"

Miss Parker told Broots what's going on and told him to go to the Centre that night to get what she needs.

"Tonight? Do I have to do it tonight?" Broots questioned.

"Yes, Broots. It's very important. Got it?"

"But…but…"

"No buts…. You must have some connection with somebody there. I need you to get this to me by tomorrow morning. People's lives are at stake here, Broots."

"Miss Parker, you're asking a lot. Does Sydney know about this?"

"Yes, Sydney knows. After you do your job, go to Sydney right away and he'll do the rest. Then get it to me pronto."

"A-alright, Miss Parker. If Debbie ends up without a Dad, it's your fault."

"Yeah, yeah. I'll send you and Debbie on a nice vacation. And Broots? Thanks. Gotta go, Jarod's coming."

"You're welcome." Broots whispered after Miss Parker hung up the phone. `I can't believe what she's involved in, WHO she's involved with,' Broots thought worriedly.

Jarod got in the car and handed Miss Parker the files. "Sorry it took so long, I had to get more information on the computer from a different source. Hope you didn't get too lonely."

"Not too lonely." Miss Parker began skimming through the files, becoming engrossed in them, unaware that Jarod was staring at her amazed at her dedication to this case.

"Wow," Miss Parker commented, "these doctors have amazing success records. How did you get a hold of information like this?" When she didn't get an answer, Miss Parker looked at Jarod and smiled when she saw him grinning. Now she was more determined to perfect her part of this pretend. Obviously, this man next to her is VERY resourceful--that's why he's so good at what he does.

They entered their apartment and got ready for bed, still talking about the case.

"Why did you think that these people have anything to do with the missing children?" Miss Parker asked.

"With all the success they're having, they've sucked all the other clinics dry of patients. They're TOO successful."

"Isn't that a good thing? They're helping heal families and curing children of mental disorders."

"Yeah, but for what price? Problem is, these men have been thoroughly investigated, but nothing. Their records are clean."

Miss Parker's eyes widened as if a light bulb just went on in her head. "The men have been investigated, but their wives have not. Is that why you felt they are the key to this case?"

"It's just a feeling. But I did talk to the families of the children that disappeared and all of them have had the *privilege* of meeting these women."

"What do you mean?"

"At one point, each of these women showed generosity to the families. They are the only connection I have found. The children that disappeared are from all different walks of life--no similar traits, no behavioral patterns--some have mental problems, some are perfectly normal, some are slow learners, some are sharp."

"How many have disappeared?"

"Ten in the last one and a half years--just the time the doctors were making some breakthroughs with their patients. Barbara's kids are the most recent disappearances."

Miss Parker noticed the sadness in Jarod's eyes. She knows how this is affecting him. They laid on the bed, Jarod staring up to the ceiling. Miss Parker snuggled close to him and studied his profile.

"You're still upset with me, aren't you?" she asked.

"Why would I be upset with you?"

"Because you I'm not telling you everything I know…..yet." She had to throw in that last part so not to implicate her too much.

Jarod turned his head to look at her and saw her playfulness. "Do you know how much I love you, Parker?"

"I have an idea," she smiled.

"These cases can be dangerous….."

"Don't worry about me. I can take those snobs. Besides, I have a strong (running her hand up his shoulder), handsome (stroking his face with her palm) man who watches over me (kissing him on the lips). And did I mention he loves me and will do anything to protect me?"

"Do you always get your way, Parker?"

"It's because I'm goooood….." Jarod pulled her to him and kissed her deeply.


THE NEXT MORNING

Miss Parker woke up alone on the bed. She groaned a little and sat up. She took in a deep breath and her senses were assaulted with the most wonderful smell--coffee. The smell of waffles was also in the air but it's secondary to the aroma of the coffee. She put on her robe and strode lazily toward the kitchen where Jarod was busily preparing breakfast. He was already dressed for work. Jarod sensed her presence and greeted her without turning around, "Mornin' Sunshine."

Miss Parker wrapped her arms around his waist tightly from behind and rested her head on his back. She closed her eyes and savored the closeness. "Mmmmm….I could wake up like this every morning," she said with pleasure in her voice.

Jarod smiled. "With me in your arms?" he asked.

"No. With you making me breakfast." She kissed him on the back of the neck before letting go and then sat down at the table.

They ate breakfast and when Miss Parker was about to finish her last sip of coffee, the doorbell rang. Miss Parker hurriedly put her cup down and ran to the door. "It's for me," she explained.

Jarod looked at her with narrowed eyes and proceeded to follow her to the door. Miss Parker took the package from the delivery boy and pushed passed Jarod. "Pay the guy, will you, Jarod?" Jarod took some money from his wallet and tipped the boy and when he turned around, Parker was shutting the door of the bedroom. When Jarod checked the door, it was locked. "Parker? What's going on?" Jarod asked, banging on the door. Miss Parker opened the door slowly and smiled at Jarod sheepishly. "Will you trust me?" She pleaded, "It would really mean a lot to me. I'm coming to your office later this afternoon and tell you EVERYTHING. I promise."

Jarod sighed and kissed her on the cheek. "I'll see YOU later." And he left. Miss Parker got ready for the day, her heart racing. She looks like a little girl excited about a long-awaited field trip. Her plans are coming into place. What's left now is to convince the ladies she and Jarod are willing to participate in their little dealing AND to tell Jarod. That last part is going to be tricky. But she's good. Jarod might be a genius, but he's putty in her hands--just like she is in his.