Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Prophecy

1/?
Lilly James





The bell rang and moments later a mass of students pilled out of the double doors of the main entrance of Blue Cove High School and onto the parking lot where several yellow school buses were waiting. Debbie Broots and her two best friends Kathy Young and Cindy Doe managed to squeeze through the huge crowd and took three seats in the back of the bus. The three girls were really excited because Saturday was Cindy's birthday and they were planning a sleepover at her house.

Finally everybody was seated and the bus driver closed the doors. Slowly the bus departed from the parking lot and onto the street. It was Friday and everybody was eagerly waiting to get home and start the weekend. Cindy's eyes shone with glee as she leaned closer to Debbie and Kathy and said, " This is going to be so much fun. We are going to watch movies, stay up real late and eat popcorn and chips,..."

"And we can talk about guys and gossip and do make-ups." Kathy was bouncing on her seat.

The bus slowed down as it neared its first stop and several students were getting ready to leave the bus. Kathy grabbed her coat and bag, " Bye guys, see ya tomorrow! Oh, I guess I am gonna talk to you on the phone cause I am really excited!" With that she stood and started to walk towards the doors. Debbie and Cindy waved, " Bye Kathy, see ya tomorrow."

****

Broots was having a fairly good time at work. Lyle was away on a business trip to New York and Miss Parker was at a doctor's appointment. On his mind were his plans for the weekend. Friday he was going to spend some quality time with his daughter and Saturday evening he could eventually watch the Happy Days Marathon because Debbie would be spending the night at her fiends house for a sleepover. Right now he was chatting with a buddy on the icq chat - the search for Jarod was no where near a hit and Broots didn't really mind. He thought that no one should be held prisoner just for being a genius and Jarod didn't do any harm, he was actually helping people in need.

Just then Broots heard the familiar sound of stiletto heals coming his way and he struggled to close the chat, get rid of the candy strewn all over his desk, all the while muttering, " Damn, she wasn't supposed to be back for at least another hour, damn, damn, ...!" In record time he had his desk clean and seemed to be deeply involved in his search programs for Jarod when Miss Parker entered the room.

"Broots, any news on Jarod?" He had expected her to be harsh and angry like every time she returned from one of her doctor's appointments, but instead her voice sounded tired and weak.

"No, Miss Parker, I am sorry but nothing has turned up so far. ehm, how was your appointment, did it go well?" Instantly, he knew he had been to daring for she barked at him.

"None of you business" and stalked to her office and closed the doors.

Broots was glad that she had left. No, he was not afraid of her, everybody thought he was but that was not entirely right. When he first started working for her, he had been terrified. Her reputation was well known among the employees of the lower levels and despite the fact that few had been near her, there were a lot of stories told. But after a couple of months, he was able to get to know her a bit better. He believed that she was a victim of this hell hole called the Centre and that her only chance of survival was to shut off her heart and be as unforgiving and cold as possible. Quickly, he realized that this attitude of hers was his only way of survival too.

****

Once inside her office Miss Parker sat down behind her desk and closed her eyes. The day had started of miserably and it was not improving. She had barely slept at all last night and nightmares had tormented her until morning. Nightmares were a constant occurrence in the nights but this morning she had woken up terrified. This time Debbie Broots had died and she had not been able to save her...