Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own tP, NBC and MTM Pictures do. This is a piece of non profit fanfiction and there are no copyright infringements intended. Please don't sue.
I don't know who wrote the poem but I dare to use it for my purposes.

Title: Someone should have told him
By: Chris
Spoilers: none


I went to a party,
Mom you told me not to drink
Mom, so I had a sprite instead

Parker looked at the piece of paper in her hand. Jarod had written her a letter. He was proud to have written his first poem. A young girl had died during a pretend as a doctor in a hospital and he had felt the need to write it to remind other people not to drink and drive. It started more like a letter from kid to mother but she had the feeling that there was more to come. She continued to read and walked to her car.

I felt proud of myself,
the way you said I would,
that I didn't drink and drive,
though some friends said I should.

Somehow she felt reminded of her graduation party. She had been the only one who had chosen to drive home and so she hadn't drank. All the others had drank too much and one of her classmates had died because he had crashed with his car. She had arrived home safely.
She got into her car and closed the door behind her. She switched on the lights inside and started to read the poem out loud to herself.

I made a healthy choice,
and your advice to me was right
as the party finally ended,
and the kids drove out of sight.

She finished reading and started her car. Somehow it had touched her deep inside to read something like that. She had never thought that she would read something Jarod had written again but letters? Why not. And this one turned out to be something she liked. She didn't want to admit that she liked it but it kept going around her head as she drove from the parking lot onto the road and towards her home.

I got into my car,
sure to get home in one piece,
I never knew what was coming,
something I expected least.

There was no traffic on the road for it was quite late. It was late summer and really warm. Parker opened the window to let the warm air inside her car. Another car came from behind and started to overtake her. She couldn't quite see the other car because the lights were nearly blinding her. She hit the gas to be faster than the other one but it was no use. It was nearly beside her and she looked out of the window to see what idiot was trying to get both killed. It came nearer and nearer and then it hit her car. She tried hard to control her car and keep it on the road.

Now I'm lying on the pavement,
And I hear a policeman say,
"The kid that caused this wreck was drunk,"
Mom, his voice seems far away.

The front tire hit the crash barrier and she lost control over her car. She hit the brakes as hard as she could and the car slowed down. She thought that she had it under control again when the other car came up beside her and pushed her against the crash-barrier again. The car was still slowing down but the other car didn't give up until Parker's car turned over and disappeared into the ditch.
No other car had been around, nobody had seen what happened. The other car stopped and a man got out. He walked around his car and looked at Parker's car. It was lying a little downhill, the motor still running, the wheels still turning. A wicked smile played around his lips as he turned and walked back to his car.

My own blood's all around me,
as I try hard not to cry.
I can hear the paramedic say,
"This girl is going to die."

He looked at his four-fingered hand and started the car. Then he drove off. Somehow he hadn't liked the idea of killing his own sister but he had had no choice. No, he couldn't just leave her there, he had to do something against his bad conscience. He took his cellphone and dialed 911. He informed them that there had been an accident on the highway near Blue Cove and that they better get there soon. Then he hung up. She was his sister after all. He really thought of turning around and rescuing her but he didn't dare too.

I'm sure the guy had no idea,
while he was flying high,
because he chose to drink and drive,
now I would have to die.

The car was lying upside down and smoke was rising up. It took the ambulance and the fire engines nearly ten minutes to reach the site where the accident had occurred. The caller hadn't told them exactly where they had to go so they had to search. They hoped that someone had been there before them to help the people inside the car, but they found the place empty. They jumped out of their cars and ran down the hill. Someone was still inside the burning car and they had to get her out of there as soon as possible. The car was burning but they couldn't start using their fire extinguishers until the person was outside. The doors were stuck and the woman inside didn't react. She was unconscious. Good for her, she wouldn't feel the pain.

So why do people do it,
knowing that it ruins lives?
And now the pain is cutting me,
like a hundred stubbing knives.

But Parker was far from being unconscious. She heard and saw everything that was going on around her. She knew that she was hurt seriously because she couldn't move her arms and legs, she couldn't move at all. She was afraid and had to think of Jarod's poem.

Tell sister not to be afraid,
tell daddy to be brave,
and when I go to heaven,
put "Daddy's girl" on my grave.

She couldn't feel her body but she felt the pain. The car was lying upside down and so was she. Her body was pinned behind the wheel and her arms hung loose, somewhere beside her head. She felt so helpless but she didn't think of dying. She thought of revenge. Revenge. Revenge. Revenge. Nothing but revenge. She wanted to kill that someone who did this to her. She wondered if the person did this on purpose or if he had been drunk. What an ironic coincidence. No, she was sure that this had been done on purpose.

Someone should have taught him,
that it's wrong to drink and drive.
Maybe if his parents had,
I'd still be alive.

As she heard the movements around the car she tried to move her head - and it worked. She tuned her head to one side but didn't see anything because her arm was in the way. A sharp pain started at her feet and hit her up to her head. In horror she realized that smoke was building inside the car and that she would be burning if they didn't free her in time. She started to think about the poem again. What if she hadn't read it? Would this all have happened? Would she have reacted the same way?

My breath is getting shorter,
I'm getting really scared.
These are my final moments,
And I'm so unprepared.

The door was pried open and Parker felt the cool evening air streaming inside. The air inside the car had become hot, the fire was growing larger. They tried to pull her outside but it was no use, she was stuck. They stabilized her neck and pulled her back. Somehow they managed to get the steering wheel outside and then they had her free. They laid her onto a stretcher and carried her away from the car. As soon as they were out of reach the firemen started to extinguish the burning car. From the corner of her eye Parker could see her car. Her beloved towncar, shattered and broken, nothing left of its once wonderful form. She would have cried if she could have. She heard the paramedics talk, heard words like "neck broken", "third degree burns", "low chance of survival". She nearly panicked. She had a low chance of survival? She was going to die? NOOOOO! She was so young, had her whole life in front of her and she wanted to live. She was sure that she would fight for her life. She wouldn't give up and wouldn't give in to the darkness that was creeping up around her. She didn’t want to lose consciousness, wanted to see everything that was going on around her.
The last passage of Jarod's poem came back to her mind and she thought of her mom. What had she been thinking when she had been shot? Had she died right away? Had she been lying there hoping for someone to help her? Had she felt that death was near? Had she felt the pain? Had she thought of her daughter? Or had she thought of revenge? Parker didn't want to die and tried to fight back unconsciousness.

I wish that you could hold me, mom,
as I lie here and die.
I wish that I could say I love you
So I love you and good-bye.