Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own them, TNT does. I'll give them back relatively unharmed as soon as I'm finished with them. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction and there are no copyright infringements intended so please don't sue. The poem at the beginning belongs to me.

Title: Sinner, you know you have to pretend, Part 11/?
By: CHris
Rated: PG
Note: Please start with part 1


Deep inside my heart
There's a fire which
Is you

Deep inside my head
There's a picture
Of you

Deep inside my soul
I hear a voice
Which is yours

Deep inside my mind
I keep a smile
of yours

Deep inside me
I can feel you
And I know that
You are a part of me
- FOREVER -


Sydney started to get worried. Jarod hadn't called after receiving the mail and Angelo hadn't been talking since he had been with Miss Parker. He decided that it was time to see Angelo and try to talk to him. He walked through the corridors of the Centre observing the people walking by. When he entered the room where Angelo usually stayed he found it empty. Maybe he was crawling somewhere through the ventilation shafts. Sydney wasn't worried about that, that was his usual behavior. He decided to check on Angelo before he was to leave for home tonight.
He heard the squeaking of the wheels before he actually saw Raines turning around the corner in front of him. He didn't want to report to him that Angelo was missing. He decided to keep in for himself and tried to hide the worry from Raines. But Raines seemed to have read his mind.
"Sydney, have you seen Angelo?"
"No, Mr. Raines, I haven't. Have you heard from Lyle?"
"Not yet. Why do you ask?"
"I haven't heard anything from him in a while and I was wondering. He normally keeps us informed on everything."
"Well, there seem to be some abnormal circumstances that he finds it suitable not to inform you. Good day."
Without another look he walked on. The wheels from his oxygen tank kept squeaking and the sound followed Sydney when he walked towards Miss Parker's office. He opened the door and walked inside. He had anticipated to find it empty but Mr. Parker was sitting on the sofa obviously waiting for something. He looked up when Sydney entered the room. From the look on his face Sydney could tell that he had anticipated to see his daughter because his face fell and he slumped back into the sofa.
Sydney didn't know if he should tell Mr. Parker about his daughter. They would know that he had left the building with her because of all the security cameras but they had to check all recordings if there wasn't someone who had seen him leave and they wouldn't check if nobody gave them a hint. So he kept silent. He didn't greet Mr. Parker and turned to leave the room again. When the door closed behind him he started to wonder. Why hadn't Mr. Parker said anything? Why hadn't he asked about the whereabouts of his daughter? Why didn't they already know that he had brought her away from the Centre and why the heck had everything worked so well until now? No questions, no answers to give, no security checks, no security trolls with their guns pointing at his head and nearly everybody pretending that everything was alright? Didn't they miss her? Didn't anybody care? Did anybody notice that Parker was gone? And where the heck was Broots?
He turned around the corner and saw the door to Broots office stand ajar. He heard voices from within. One was Broots'. He opened the door.
"Hello Sydney," the Techie greeted him and smiled gratefully.
"Good morning Broots, good morning Lyle."
So Lyle was here at all and he had the feeling that he had just saved Broots from Lyle. He turned towards the computer screen and leaned in closer. There was a photograph on the screen that showed Jarod. It looked very real. Jarod had a bruise on his left temple and in the background there were buildings that looked a lot like Chicago. Even though Broots hadn't said anything Sydney knew that this was a fake. He knew the photograph. It had been taken last summer. Jarod had been in the Amazonas region helping a group of activists. The bruise had come from some animal they had disturbed in its nest. The background photograph really showed Chicago. Sydney could make out Sears Tower in the distance. Broots had done a great job. They both knew that Jarod was somewhere else and that somewhere else was far from Chicago. But the further away from Lyle the better. Sydney just wondered how he had done it. He couldn't just send the photograph with his email address, could he? Lyle told them in his usual harsh voice to keep working and to keep him informed and stormed out of the room. Broots looked at Sydney and smiled.
"Where did this photograph come from?"
"Jarod sent it last night. And no, I didn't make it up. The photograph is real."
"That can't be," Sydney whispered, "I know that photo."
"I thought I knew it as well. But it seems real. I can't find anything that indicates that it's a fake. Jarod's done a great job. And Lyle's on his way to Chicago – without us," he added and smiled a little. Both Sydney and Broots knew that the photograph was a fake but they somehow forgot to tell Lyle but they didn't bother. Lyle was gone and on his way to Chicago and they were left behind to plan other things.
Sydney sat down. Broots didn't know that Parker was ill – not yet – and he had to tell him. He had to tell him that Angelo had written the fairy tale and that Angelo was acting peculiar since he had been with Miss Parker – to be true he didn't even know where he was. Broots seemed to know that something was wrong.
"Where's Miss Parker?"
"Hospital, Dover. We need to go there. I have to be there with her and I need a place to talk. I can't tell you everything back here. Can you leave?"
"Sure, Lyle's on his way to Chicago, isn't he? Let's go in case Lyle should decide to come back."
Broots didn't seem to take it very hard that Miss Parker was ill. They left the building together and walked to Broots' car.
"Where are we going?"
"Dover, Hospital."
"Why?"
"Miss Parker's ill."
"Ill? Miss Parker? Never. And why is she in Dover and not in sickbay in the Centre?"
So he hadn't been listening when he had told him back in the Centre. He was sure that Broots' car was unmonitored by the Centre and so he told him the whole story. From the beginning when he had been in Parker's office this morning and Miss Parker collapsing in his arms to the very end with Angelo acting very peculiar and his disappearance. It hurt him to tell the story again. Parker was like a daughter to him. And it was unbearable for a father having to see his daughter suffer.
When Sydney was finished they drove onto the hospital grounds. Both men were uncomfortable when they walked through the entrance and up to the reception. They were told that Miss Parker was still in ER. Since no family members had visited her so far and Sydney had brought her to hospital they were allowed to visit her.
She was lying in the bed. She was wearing a white hospital gown and was absolutely pale. She was hooked to several machines that were beeping slowly. They both pulled up a chair and sat down. They didn't dare to speak. They simply sat there and looked at Parker. Broots held her hand and seemed close to tears. And there was no sign of Angelo ever having been here.