Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer see part 1!
Title: Sinner, you know you have to pretend!
By: Chris
e-mail address : kylaparker@hotmail.com
Rated: PG
Category: S / P
Spoilers: None

7.

I'm watching you in your sleep
You look so innocent
So perfect, so wonderful.

Who'd expect you
To be a killer?
A woman without a heart?

I imagine how it would be
With the two of us
Together.

If you could stop killing.
Killing with words
Like others do with bullets.

Your words hurt
And kill every feeling
Like they killed your heart.

I kiss you goodbye
Hoping you'll find
Your heart and can love
Like I do.

That voice, so distant, almost nothing more like a whisper but more disturbing than all the cries he had ever heard before. It was Parker's voice. Not exactly her voice but the voice of her subconsciousness, calling for him to free Parker from her haunting memories. He didn't hear words, it was more like whimpering from a small child. But he saw pictures. Pictures that told him more than words could ever do. Suddenly he heard another voice. A male voice that was trying to form words.
Jarod opened his eyes and looked around the room. Was he really hearing voices inside his head? Was this all real or had he gone nuts and was imagining all this? He looked up at Ms Ryan who was staring at him, still waiting for a sound explanation of what had happened. He knew that he couldn't give her another explanation, he didn't know another way to explain it to himself, so how could he explain it to someone else?
"Dr. Blake, are you sure, you're alright? I was told that you broke down earlier this day. Do you want me to ask someone else to take over your job for today?”
"No, Ms Ryan. No way. I'll bring this to an end and we'll find a way to bring her back. I'll leave the two of you alone. Talk to her. Tell her how you feel, anything you might consider important. I'll try to find out something about that mysterious Michael. I'll be back as soon as possible.”
Jarod got up, trying to ignore the voices inside his head. They were still trying to tell him something he needed to know, but right now he didn't have the time to listen. He didn't have the luxury of spare time, no time to lie down for some rest, no time to concentrate on those voices again. He had gone lost inside this other world before, he had to finish one task first before he could take care of another one. It hurt that he had to leave Parker like that but maybe she would find something inside her mind that she had been searching for. She would survive, he was sure of that, the only question was how and when will she be back to consciousness?
He left the room, after shooting a last glance at Jane and her teacher. Ms Ryan was holding her hand, caressing her cheeks. There was something Ms Ryan had done to her, Jane had mentioned it, but she hadn't been specific. Maybe they could forgive each other, whatever had happened.
'Go', a little voice inside his head insisted, 'go and find that Michael, find him and put an end to this case. Miss Parker is waiting for you.'
Jarod went to his office and took off his white coat. He had a picture inside his head. A picture he suspected to be Michael. It had come along with Jane's cry for Michael. A friend of him would surely be able to help him.

As soon as he had the picture inside the computer via a drawing program he started a search pattern through all official databases. A search for a name to this picture. A driver's license with this picture brought light into the darkness. His name was Michael Tessner and he was working at a local computer company. Thanks to the computer he found out more about him than Jane would want to know. He had a criminal record, he was accused of tapping into other's people's computers, stealing data. Jarod had to grin. What was he doing right now? No serious crime, depending on the data. He had to find Michael and tell him what had happened. Maybe that would work.


8.

DARKNESS
Calls for me
I wanna be alone
Don't wanna think of YOU
YOU're a light I don't want to see
I wish I were dead
I wouldn't have to think of YOU
Wouldn't have to see YOU
I love YOU
but YOU don't love me
I wish me away from this world
Where YOU don't exist

Maybe she would come back into this reality if she knew that he cared for her-- if he did. What if he didn't care what happened to her? He didn't know if he didn't try. He had to call that guy, bring him to hospital and make him talk to her. From a sudden instinct he took his cell phone and dialed Sydney's number.
"How is she, Syd?” Jarod asked before Sydney could say anything.
"She has been talking to herself. She's still not reacting to anything from outside. How are you? And where are you? She needs you, Jarod.”
"I know, but I can't be with her right now. I wish I could, but there's someone who needs my help right now and I can't leave her like that. Syd, I need your help. If working with traumatized people, how do you get them to talk to you?”
"You have to win their trust, try to think like they do. That often helps.”
"What if these traumatized people are unconscious?”
"I don't know, Jarod. Why do you ask? Do you know a way to help Miss Parker?”
"No, I don't, but I have a young person who doesn't want to wake up.”
"Where are you?”
"I can't tell you. Syd, do you believe that it is possible to read someone's mind and talk to that person?”
"That is either science fiction or a very rare pretender ability.”
"I have been inside her mind, I have seen her thoughts and I have talked to her. Does this sound strange?”
"No, it sounds as if you're evolving new unknown abilities. You have to take care that others in the Centre won't find out. They'll try to hunt you down more than they do now. Take care, Jarod, will you?”
"I promise, Sydney, I will. Please take care of Miss Parker. She needs you right now, I can hear her, calling for help.”
"What do you mean, you can hear her?”
"I hear her voice in my thoughts. Sydney, did you know that Miss Parker is a pretender as well?”
"”Yes, I know, but her abilities aren't trained, they surface whenever they want to. She doesn't know how to use them.”
"Does the Centre know?”
"They know that she's a pretender but they don't know that she knows and they don't know that her abilities are showing and that they are intensifying.”
"Thanks for telling me. Gotta go now. Take care.”
He looked at the computer screen in front of him and dialed the number from the man Jane loved so much.
"This is Michael Tessner.”
"Hi, my name's Jarod. You don't know me, but I need your help.”
"I don't know you but you want me to help you? Doesn't that sound strange to you? Asking someone -”
"Michael, you have to listen to me. There's someone who needs you and I want you to help me to save her live."
"I'm not gonna donate any organs if it's that what you want."
"No, just talk to someone."
"Nothing more? And that's no trap of any sort?"
"The police is searching for you, right? I can help you too."
"You know too much, Jarod, but I'm helping you. Who do you want me to talk to?"
"Please meet with me, I can't ell you everything on the phone."
"OK, when, where?"
"Let's say in one hour at the Memorial Hospital main entrance. Can you make it in time?"
"I'll be there. You better think of a sound explanation."
Michael hung up without saying goodbye and somehow Jarod didn't think that he'd show up. He looked at his cell phone and only shook his head. He looked around his friend's office. A photo on his desk showed himself and Miss Parker.
"Where did you get that picture?" he asked his friend.
"I don't know who that was, he gave it to me and asked me to find both of you. Who's that woman?"
"I can't tell you, I'm searching for her as well. She has disappeared. Can you describe the man who gave it to you?"
"About your size, slim, he was wearing leather gloves –"
"Mr. Lyle. When was he here?"
"Three days ago. He has left a message in case you would come here again."
"Somehow I feel as if you're working with him."
"No, never would I work with such an ugly guy. Do you know him very good?"
"No, I haven't had the honors to work with him, He's my opponent."
"Opponent? He said that you were a fugitive."
Jarod cocked one eyebrow.
"A fugitive? What am I fleeing from?"
"He said that you escaped a lunatic asylum and that you are pretending to be someone else."
"Nice. What did he say about the woman?"
"He said that her name was Parker and that she's be a social worker who helped you escape the loony bin."
"Oh how charming he can be. I never knew he evolved a sense of humor. Did he say anything else? For example what you should do whenever I'd show up?"
"He wanted me to call him immediately, and he said that he would be around."
"Around? I guess it's time for me to disappear again. Thanks for your help."
He turned to leave the room.
"Jarod, don't you want to take this with you? I don't think I have any use for this."
Jarod turned and looked at the picture in the young man's hand.
"Thank you, it means a lot to me."
"Another reason to take it with you. I wish you all the luck you need."
"Thanks," Jarod said and left the room.
Lyle here? He had to end this pretend as soon as possible before Lyle found him. He had to find a key to Jane's mind. Maybe Michael would be the key. He desperately hoped so because he had the inner longing to help Miss Parker as well. But first things first. Jane had been there first so he had to finish this pretend before he could help Parker. Maybe some things that had helped Jane would also be useful in helping Miss Parker. But who could be that man or woman that would be able to talk her out of her unconsciousness? He could only think of one, and that one was dead. He didn't dare to ask Sydney whether he had told Mister Parker about his daughter's condition or if she was simply on holidays.
Jarod looked at his wrist watch. He had to hurry if he wanted to be on time. He knew that he would know Michael Tessner the moment he would see him. In his mind, or better, in Jane's mind he had seen him before and he knew a lot of things about him. He wasn't sure if everything was real or only Jane's wishful thinking, but he knew that Michael had a sister and a brother and that he owned a dog. He also thought to know that he loved a girl named Bridget.
When he arrived at the hospital he instantly saw Michael. He was tall and slender and had light brown hair. He couldn't see what Jane found in him. He didn't look bad, but he had thought that Jane would prefer another sort of man.
"Michael?"
The young man turned around and looked at Jarod. He had blue eyes and was the same size as Jarod. He looked him straight into the eyes and smiled.
"My name's Jarod Blake. I'm working at the hospital. Do you know a girl named Jane Parrol?"
"Jane? Of course I know her. What's the matter with her?"
"She needs your help."
"My help? What kind of help?"
"She's unconscious. She's had a kind of accident."
"Kind of accident? What do you mean?"
"Michael, she tried to kill herself."
"WHAT?? Jane? No, she'd never do that."
"Her teacher said the same, but I have reason to believe that -- well, I have to tell you later. Will you follow me please?"
Michael didn't say a word, just followed Jarod into the hospital. He seemed to be inside himself, trying to find out what had happened to Jane. Jarod led him into his office.
"Michael, how good do you know her?"
"There's not much I know. She's 21 and she loves music, she's really cute, loves doing martial arts. That's about all I know."
"Do you know if she's got a boyfriend?"
"Not that I know. Why have you asked me to come here?"
"She had a note with your phone number in her purse," Jarod lied, "You were the only one I could think of. Was I wrong?"
"It's -- no, it's alright."
"So follow me please."
Jarod got up and walked towards Jane's room. Ms Ryan was still sitting beside the bed, holding Jane's hand. She looked up when Michael and Jarod entered the room.
"Her condition hasn't changed since you left. Who is he?"
"That is Michael Tessner."
"You found him? I haven't --"
Jarod took Ms Ryan by the arm and walked her out of the room.
"Stop talking, I lied to him about the circumstances of being here", Jarod whispered. He turned to look at Michael. He was still standing in the doorframe, staring at the unconscious girl.
"What happened? I can't believe she tried to kill herself." Michael said.
"We have reason to believe that she has tried to killed herself with a medication she usually takes daily. She took an overdose of about 40 pills when the normal dosage is about 2."
"The last time I have seen her she hasn't been talking much. She was staring at me with unfocused eyes and when I tried to speak to her she turned away. I don't know what happened."
"Michael, do you like her?"
"She's cute, yes, but I have a girlfriend."
"That's not what I mean. I mean, do you like her as a person, not as a lover."
Michael just stared at him and then he nodded.
"Yes, I have to admit, that I really like her. She's so different to my girlfriend. She's someone I can talk to and who listens to me when I tell her about my problems."
Now it was Ms Ryan who was standing at the door watching the two men discuss. She still felt guilty about what happened but the more she listened to this Michael Tessner the less she felt responsible. She knew that it had been wrong to shout at her for just humming. She took a stool and sat down beside the bed again. Michael and Jarod stared at her when she began to sing in a low voice. It was the same song that Jane had been humming the night before when Ms Ryan had told her to stop: "On my own" from the musical Les Misérables.
Michael sat down on the chair which Ms Ryan had occupied before she had taken the stool and was singing along as well. He had a wonderful voice Jarod had to admit. He knew the song as well, he had listened to it when he had been down and longed for someone to love.
Someone like Miss Parker. Somewhere back in his head he could still hear that little voice calling for help. He wasn't sure yet if he could leave the three alone. Ms Ryan and Michael were looking after Jane now, he wouldn't have to worry. And Lyle was close. He could almost feel his presence.




t.b.c.