Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer see part 1. Poem's mine!

Title: Sinner, you know you have to pretend!
By: CHris
e-mail address : kylaparker@hotmail.com
Rated: PG


13.

Wild, beating heart when I think of you.
It's beating for you, just for you.
Each beat of my heart
is a knocking on your door.
Why don't you hear it?


Jarod was sitting in his room and watched Angelo who was sleeping. It wasn't a peaceful sleep. He took his cellphone and called Broots.
"Broots, it's Jarod."
"Hi Jarod. Did anything go wrong?"
"No, I was just giving Lyle a few things to chew on. There will be no call in New York tomorrow. Just stay where you are. I'll order a cab to bring Angelo back home. Don't worry about him, he will be fine." Without another word he hung up on Broots.
His phone rang and he jumped. He looked at his clock. It was 10.45 pm. Who would call him this late? He wasn't on duty tonight.
"Hello?"
"Dr. Blake?"
"Yes, who's there?"
"Sue Ryan. Sorry to call you this late. I tried to do so earlier but you didn't answer. I was back at school to have a look at Jane's papers. There are a few things I've learned and I wanted to share them with you."
"Couldn't that have waited until tomorrow?"
"Yes," Ryan sighed, "It could have waited. But something seemed wrong. I can't put a finger on it and I have hoped that you could help me."
"OK," Jarod sighed. "Tell me."
"OK, Jane is just a nickname but I never knew that. Her whole name is Janet Samantha Parroll. As far as I know she was born in Toronto but the school papers say that she's been born in a town called Blue Cove in Delaware. She said she's 21 but she's only 19."
"Does it say something about her parents?"
"No, it just says her address. She's got her own flat. No, wait. There's a note. Her mother's name was Catherine Parker. She died shortly after Jane was born. Jane's living with her father's relatives. The note says that the school is not to interfere with her private life. Wow, never seen something like that."
"That helped me a lot. Thank you Ms. Ryan. Are you coming to see Jane tomorrow?"
"Yes, I'll be there in the afternoon. I have to tend to my classes first."
"Why have you been here the first place? Why have you been at the youth hostel where we first met?"
"We are having a school concert and Jane is part of the choir. We were having two days of intensive practice. And I still feel a little responsible for what has happened. The night before this happened she seemed quite happy and was humming. Because of all the singing we had done over the day I wanted to be left alone with all the music and I asked her to stop humming – not very politely. I think she took me too serious."
"Do you like her?"
"Yes, she's a nice girl. Why do you ask?"
"Just curious. It seemed to me that she values your opinion. No, don't say anything. I know you don't approve of what I've been doing and you don't believe that I've been talking to her, but she's hurt. I think the thought of suicide was in her head for quite a long time but this was the trigger. There are another few things that keep me thinking. But I think it would be better to talk about this tomorrow. We both need a good night sleep."
"Sounds good," Ms. Ryan said and yawned. "Sorry. See you tomorrow then."
"See you tomorrow. Can you bring a copy of Jane's school files?"
"Sure. Bye."
He hung up and turned back towards the sofa where Angelo was still sleeping. Jarod wondered if anybody at the Centre had realized that he wasn't there anymore. He looked at the packed suitcase that was standing next to the door. How long would he have time to finish this pretend? Would Angelo reach the Centre unharmed? Would they find him some day? He shook his head to get rid of those thoughts. Tomorrow he had to be fit again, he needed some sleep. He laid down on his bed and stared at the ceiling.
When he finally fell asleep he heard Parker's voice in his head. As clear as she were standing next to him. He tried to talk to her but she was just reciting lines of the fairy tale. So he dreamed about the castle east of the sun and west of the moon.

Michael was sitting in his room, reading and re-reading the pages Jarod had send him. How could it be that this Miss Parker was having the same handwriting as Jane… He had taken the next day off to be next to her. He doubted that his girlfriend would approve of it but he didn't care. Maybe it was time for a change. He had always liked Jane even though he didn't know very much about her. But he knew that she liked him. She had never said anything but there was something in her eyes that he had always missed when he had looked into his girlfriend's eyes. Bridget was a nice young woman but she wasn't listening to his problems like Jane. He had to find out more about her. Maybe that would help Jarod Blake as well.
He started with her homepage. Nothing useful there: Jane Parroll, born September 11, 1986 in Toronto. 86? Hadn't she said she was 21? She was only 19. But it was a start. He knew that he wasn't supposed to do this but he searched everything for her. But there wasn't a girl named Jane Parroll that had been born in Toronto on this very day. So he tried it the other way round. He knew where she lived so he searched the town records. The flat was being paid for by an organization in Blue Cove, Delaware. So he searched this town's records. A girl had been born September 11, 1984, named Janet Samantha Parroll. Nothing about her mother or father. Half an hour later he resigned and switched off his computer because he had found nothing more. He went to bed to get up early. He wanted to be with Jane or Janet or whatever her name was.

It was still dark when he awoke. Where was he? This wasn't his home. A man was sleeping on the bed nearby.
"Jarod, wake. Leave! People coming today."
"Angelo? Who's coming? Sweepers?"
Angelo nodded. Jarod tried not to look too shocked. Lyle was better than he had given him credit for. Angelo had to be back on his way to the Centre as soon as possible, the apartment had to be cleaned and he had to disappear. But what about Jane and Michael and Ms. Ryan? He took his suitcases and packed the remaining things inside. It wasn't much. He had to tell the neighbors where he was going and that his job at the funeral service had ended. They didn't know that he was working at the hospital. He had to get a taxi for Angelo and he had to find a place to spend the day and the next nights. He doubted that this would be a problem but the Sweepers would be there for more than just a few hours. And they would be asking questions all around town and would definitely show up at the hospital. He wanted to get away from here, he had to get away from here. But his pretend wasn't finished yet. He couldn't get away from here. Another game of hide and seek with the Sweepers. Another round of chasing them. He had enough of this.
The taxi stopped in front of them. Jarod leaned towards the window and asked the driver if he could bring his brother to Blue Cove in Delaware.
"That's over 300 miles."
"I know. You'll be paid accordingly."
"Great. No problem. Is he alright?"
"He has a mental problem but he's harmless, I promise. You get 500 dollar if you bring him there and another 100 if you go in with him and give this envelope to the next best person you meet inside the building."
"Great. No problem."
"Angelo, this man will bring you home. Be a good boy and just sit down inside the car and don't do anything. I have a book for you to look at while you are driving. Here's something to drink."
"Thank you, Jarod. Angelo will be home soon. Find Parker, promise?"
"I promise, Angelo. I will find her and bring her home. But you have to help Sydney and Broots, OK. Here's the money. Give it to the driver once you are at the Centre and he has accompanied you inside, OK?"
Angelo nodded and Jarod handed the driver a slip of paper with the address of the Centre. Angelo would be home soon and he had to follow Angelo's warning. Get away from his flat as soon as possible. He had already left a red scrapbook behind, he had locked the door and had given the keys to the young woman at the reception desk. Short term apartments. Something he had never heard of before but something that was very convenient.
He caught the next bus to the hospital, locked his suitcases inside his office and walked towards Jane's room. He hadn't expected to see Michael this early in the morning but he was already sitting next to Jane's bed.
"Good morning. Already up?"
"Good morning, Dr. Blake."
"Please, call me Jarod. Michael, I need your help. I haven't been completely true to you. There's someone who's searching for me and I've been warned that they will turn up today. I just need a place to put my suitcases."
"You're not leaving, are you?"
"No way. As long as Jane's unconscious I will be here to find a way. But they may under no circumstances find me. I wouldn't survive this."
"Don't worry. You're secret's safe with me and I don't care whatever you've done. You can put your suitcases in my trunk and you can come and stay at my house if you want to."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, I am sure. Jarod, last night I have made up my mind. I love Jane and I don't want to lose her. You are her only hope right now and I'll do anything in my power to help you."
"You're a great guy. And your decision might be the first step in bringing Jane back."
"What do you know about her, Jarod?"
"Not too much. Ms. Ryan has promised to bring her school files this afternoon."
"I've found out a few things. She claimed to be born in Toronto."
"It was Blue Cove, Ms. Ryan told me."
"Right. In Blue Cove there was no girl called Jane Parroll who was born on September 11, 1986. Only a girl called Janet Samantha Parroll who was born in 1984. Does this make sense to you?"
"No, that doesn't make sense. Where did you get the information?"
"The internet. And don't ask about the origin of the information, that wasn't too legal."
"I don't care where you get it. My sources aren't legal as well. But I have one source to ask and he might know everything that is missing from our puzzle. How's Jane? How have you been here?"
"I arrived only a few minutes ago. She looks the same as last night."
Jarod checked the machines and nodded. No changes, she was still unconscious and her vital signs were getting weaker again. Slowly but continually. He hoped that Parker was doing better.