Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Moonlight & Roses

Allyson Diana 

PART FOUR:


The Centre

Miss Parker paced her cell, ignoring the pain shooting through her injured leg. She knew she shouldn't be walking, but she had to ignore all the pain if she was going to live through this. She waited for her father showed up; somehow she knew he would have to eventually. She knew it all only been a day since her capture, she had been out most of the time, but she was slowly recovering and the look of her face wasn't hiding the complete anger she felt deep down inside her. The door buzzed open and instead of seeing her father, Lyle walked in with an air of confidence and a satisfied grin on his face. She fought the urge to just lunge for him and rip the smile off his face right then. But she knew she had to be smarter than that and to control any emotions around them. They could use them against her.

She looked at him with cold eyes, "come to finish the job," she said.

"Parker, Parker, Parker," he said walking up to her. "You should have known better than to betray the Centre. Didn't you own pursuit of Jarod tell you what we are capable of?" He said, still smiling. "Did you like being the hunted instead of the hunter," he stopped in front of her.

"Had a blast," she said sarcastically. He looked away and she could tell he wanted to hit her, but something stopped he looked up at the cameras quickly before turning back to her. She laughed.

"Daddy watching," she said, staring at him. "Can't hurt the bait, can you?" She shook her head.

"Watch yourself, Parker. There are other ways that you can dealt with," he said in a low tone. She knew what the Centre was capable of and could imagine what he meant.

"So why isn't he here yet, huh?" Parker said, taunting. "Could he be I'm not worth it to Jarod?" She smiled. "Guess you screwed up again?"

"Oh, he'll be here. I guarantee. He won't let you die for him. That's the one thing we can count on. You have his trust...and his heart." Lyle looked at her disgusted then he leaned in. "Did you like it? Was it worth thirty years of waiting?" He threw her a smug smile and then turned toward the door.

"Where was the bug, asshole?" She said from behind him.

"On your jacket," he stated and threw her a knowing smile. "I imagine that Jarod and his father are at odds with each other about trusting you." He shook his head. "It's a shame that you could cause so many problems...for Jarod." He walked to the door. "I'll let you think about that, Parker." He opened the door and walked out.

Parker turned away from the door and let the pain from her leg hit her. She sat down quickly and tried to hide it from her face. She scanned the room and looked up at the camera in the corner. She stared at it for a long moment before closing her eyes.

"Just let go, Jarod," she whispered to herself, but she all ready knew he was on his way.



Jarod checked the flashlights on the table turning them off and on and then placed them in the sack next to him. He took a small tool kit, opened it and held up a small screwdriver, looking at it, before placing it back in its case and then in the bag with the flashlight. He turned the bomb to reveal a timer. After Jarod dismantled the bomb, laying the pieces of the table, he proceeded to put it back together. He placed a small computer chip in the timer mechanism before replacing that to the bomb itself. He took the silver pen off the table and looked at the small red timer on the pen's side. Jarod synchronized the pen timer with the timer on the bomb. He carefully placed the bomb into the bag, stuck the pen in his shirt pocket and smiled.

"Jarod," Greg said as he saw him come up the stairs, "there's someone here for you." He looked towards the man standing behind him.

"Broots," Jarod said, smiling. "Thank you for coming."

"You said it was about Miss Parker. They kidnapped her," Broots said, walking over to him. Jarod and Broots sat down at the table. Greg turned and left the room, while they talked.

"I need your help. The Centre wants to use her for bait and you're the only one who knows the entire security system there."

"I designed it," he said, looking at Jarod.

"I want to override it and control it from here," he said, taking out the laptop computer. "I want you to control it. Can you do it?"

"You're going back to the Centre?" He said not really believing he was involved in this.

"I have to get her out, warn Sydney and place this in the Centre," Jarod said, looking at him with those intense eyes. He placed the blueprints from his father on the table and waited as Broots stared at them for a moment. Jarod then reached into his bag and pulled out the bomb and placed that on top of the blueprints.

"You're going to blow up the Centre?" Broots looked at him more shocked than before. "Are you crazy?"



"I'm starting to think I am Mr. Broots," he leaned over and pushed some keys on the computer screen and turned to Broots. "I need you to set the bomb when I tell you from here." He pointed to the screen, which showed a timer starting at 14:00. "It's got a timing on it and we will have exactly fourteen minutes to get everyone out before it blows." He looked at Broots, who was still staring at him. "I don't have a choice this time." He looked around the room, quickly and then back at Broots.

"Why?" Broots asked, wondering how Jarod could blow up the Centre. He never seemed like that kind of person to Broots; regardless of how little contract he had actually had with Jarod. He wasn't destructive.

"I need to get in and find Miss Parker, warn Sydney and then get out before the bomb explodes." Jarod said. He leaned in closer to Broots pulling out the silver pen and showing it to him. "This is my fail-safe, Broots." He pushed the pen cap and the timer started. Broots looked at him, wide-eyed. He pushed the cap again and the timer stopped on both the computer and the pen. "It disables the bomb's timing. No one knows about this. I'd like to keep it that way."

"Don't you think it's dangerous?" Broots said, staring at Jarod.

"Very. But they have to believe the bomb will detonate. That's the only way for them to be safe and for me to take care of things..." he looked away from Broots. Broots was just starting to understand what was going on.

"You're taking on the Centre alone? Raines? Mr. Parker?" He said in a low whisper. "Lyle?"

"I owe them," he threw him another smile. "Besides, I'll have Miss Parker with me." He said and then got up. "So, Mr. Broots, are you in?"

Broots looked at the blueprints again. He thought about Debbie, Miss Parker and then, he turned back to Jarod. "Tell me what you want me to do?" Jarod smiled, Broots smiled back at him.

"I want to see what the Centre sees," he said. "You need to patch into the security surveillance cameras, so that you can keep an eye on Raines, Mr. Parker, the sweepers, Lyle and...my father." Broots looked at him, quickly.

"How do I contact you while you're in?" Broots asked. Jarod pulled out a small ear device and a walkie-talkie. He placed the walkie-talkie in front of Broots. "You talk there," he said pointing to it, "and I'll hear," he held up the ear device.

"All right, when are you going?"

"Tonight," Jarod said.

"Tonight?" Broots looked at the computer screen and quickly starting pushing some buttons.

"Thank you, Mr. Broots," Jarod said before leaving the room.

"All this for Miss Parker. Man, am I out of the loop." He said still looking at the screen.

Jarod walked into the living room. All the men were waiting for him. Charles stood in the back, turning to him as he walked in.

"All set. Mr. Broots will keep an eye on the cameras." He looked at each of them. "The bomb will be set from here and we'll have fourteen minutes to get out after it's set."

"How will we know when it's set?" Greg asked.

"Here," he threw them each a watch. "Synchronize this." He looked at his father. "You'll place the bomb in the Centre's main electrical core, located on SL 26. If everything goes according to your plan. You set the timer to start at exactly 9:00 PM. At 9:14 everyone is either out or dead," Jarod added a harsh tone to his last statement. His father looked at him. In the last few hours, his son had changed from not wanting to blow up the Centre to offering not only his help, but also his expertise, and his friend. Or so, they thought Broots was no one knew he had been the other team member at the Centre to hunt Jarod down.

"How will you find her?" Greg asked Jarod, putting on his watch.

"I'll know where to look," he answered.

"Jarod, I still think I should go with you," Charles said walking to his son.

"It's better this way," was all he said and walked to the hallway. He turned back to the group for a moment. "We leave for the Centre in twenty minutes." Jarod looked at his father once more before walking down the hallway to the back door, taking the sack with him.



The Centre
Mr. Parker's Office


"Where is he?" Raines hissed through his breathing tube. Mr. Parker stood behind the desk, looking at the screen showing Miss Parker sleeping.

A flashing red light came on the screen in the far-left corner.

"He's here," Raines said, almost smiling as he quickly wheeled himself out of the office. "I'll have the sweepers waiting." He added while Mr. Parker nodded and sat down in his chair to watch.



Greg and Charles climbed down through the elevator shaft quickly. They approached SL-26 hatchway. They pried open the doors on the elevator and stepped into the dark hallway. Greg turned on his flashlight and followed Charles toward the main electrical core.

Neil, Henry and Peter proceeded through the ventilation system toward the rooms the knew so well as children. They stopped at each vent looking in before going to the next. Finally they saw him, sitting in a lifeless room, staring out into space.

"Angelo," Neil whispered from the vent. "Angelo."

Angelo looked up quickly toward the vent as they pushed it open and jumped down.

"Daughter...sad." Angelo said pointing to a computer screen. They didn't know he had been looking at something. They looked at the screen. "Daughter...sad," Angelo tapped on the screen, showing Miss Parker in her cell.

"You have to come with us," Neil said, taking Angelo's arm. He pulled away and pointed to the screen, shaking his head no. "Daughter...save." He said in a childlike voice. "Jarod.."

"Yes, he's coming," Henry said, trying to sooth Angelo like a older brother. "He'll save Miss Parker."

"Save...daughter." Angelo said, smiling at them.

"But we have to go now, Angelo." Neil said softly. "So Jarod can save Miss Parker....daughter." Angelo stared at them for a moment and then got up quickly and climbed into the ventilation shaft.

"Guess he understands," Neil said to the other two, "and it looks like he knows how to get out," he added. They all followed Angelo into the shaft.



Jarod climbed into the elevator shaft and started his way to where Broots told him Parker was being kept. He looked at his watch, quickly. It read 8:59.

"Almost time, Jarod," he heard Broots say. "30 seconds. Go up to the next floor," Broots continued directing Jarod. "Ok, open the elevator at this level." There was a pause and then Broots shouted into Jarod's ear. "No, no, no. Go back. Sweepers with Raines."

Jarod stood at the door for a moment.

"Ok, they past. Go now!" Broots said, quickly. Jarod responded opening the doors and stepping into the hallway. "Ok, coast is clear. Jarod.." Jarod looked down at his watch. "Timer started," Broots said.

Jarod ran down the hallway to the door at the end. He stood at the door waiting for Broots.

"Almost there. Hold on." There was a slight pause. "Got it. 2-2-5-6-8," Broots said. Jarod could tell the stress was hitting Broots.

Jarod punched in the code and the door buzzed open, he looked around and stepped inside. He looked around, but he didn't see her. "Behind you," he heard from Broots. He turned around quickly hitting the first sweeper in the stomach. Miss Parker bit the arm of the one holding her and hit his stomach hard with her elbow.

Parker looked over at him.

"Miss me?" He smiled at her, quickly. "Come on, we have to go."

She didn't hesitate she just ran like hell following him. He opened the door, looked out quickly and then ran down the hall. The sweepers got up and followed them drawing their guns.

"You better have brought my gun," she yelled at him in front of her. He turned and threw her the gun. "Yes!" She said quickly and turned back to the sweepers, shooting.

"Come on!" Jarod yelled back at her. She shot a few more times and then followed Jarod around the corner.

"This way!" She said, pointing to the left. Jarod started to tell her no, when Lyle showed up behind Miss Parker with a gun pointed at her. "Come on!" She said to him. He was frozen in place for a moment.

"Don't!" Jarod yelled at Lyle, raising his gun. Parker turned around and saw Lyle. She raised her gun to him, but he grabbed it from her hand and pulled her arm backing her up to protect him with her.

"Just shoot him!" She yelled at Jarod.

"Shoot me and she dies," Lyle said, moving backwards. Parker looked to the right and saw the sweepers coming down the hallway.

"Jarod, run!" She screamed at him, the same time Broots screamed in his ear. Lyle pulled her quickly around a corner. Jarod started to go after them, but the sweepers had all ready cornered him. They held their guns to him. Jarod looked around quickly and then let out a powerful scream, banging against the walls uncontrollably. The sweepers just stood there looking at him like he was crazy.

"Jarod, what are you doing?" Broots said into his ear. Jarod keep banging his fists from wall to wall, until he kicked his leg quickly out and knocked one sweeper down. He turned and punched the other one, he went down. He stood over them, taking their guns.

"I would have thought you've both seen a crazed lunatic before," he said and then took off following where Lyle and Parker went.

He looked at his watch while he ran. It read 9:05 PM.

"She's in there," Broots said, quickly. Jarod stopped at the door. "2-5-6-8-9," Broots said giving Jarod the code for the door. He stepped inside holding his gun. He saw Lyle standing next to a huge circular tank where Miss Parker was inside. He stepped in closer. Lyle held his gun on Jarod.

"No, no loverboy. It's over now. I've got her and now we have you. In just a matter of seconds, sweepers will be coming through that door," he moved a lever, "this time there won't be an escape route. Jarod looked around the tank and knew exactly where she was. It was the same tank Lyle had put him in when he experimented with life and death. The tank would cut off the air and then she would die.

"Let her go," Jarod said, looking at Miss Parker gasping for breath and banging on the tank. "It's me you want."

"That's right. But we don't really need her, once we have you," Lyle answered back smiling.

Jarod raised his gun to Lyle and then turned to the door and shot at the circuit box.

"Guess, it's just you and me, Lyle." Jarod said back to him.

Parker banged on the tank again, harder.

"Now what?" Lyle said holding the lever. "I'm the only one with the code to open this. If you shoot me, she dies."

Jarod held his gun on Lyle. He stared at him.

"Guess you lose again Jarod." Lyle laughed. "Bye, sis." He pulled the lever all the way down and turned to look at her. Jarod fired. Lyle fell from the gun shot in his leg.

"Not this time, you sick bastard," Jarod said running to the tank and taking Lyle's gun from him. He looked at the codepad. Parker looked up at him. He could tell she had no air left.

Broots tried to find the code, but it wasn't coming up. "I can't locate it, Jarod. It's not one of the Centre codes in their system." Jarod watched Miss Parker's eyes close. "I'm sorry."

"No!!!" He screamed and shot at the code pad. After four shots the tank door opened.

"Or you could that," he heard Broots say in his ear. Jarod worked quickly. "Jarod, seven minutes," he said.

Jarod pulled the slab out of the tank. Miss Parker started breathing and coughing. He took her hand.

"You're going be fine," he said looking at her.

"I assume that means I have to get up," she said opening her eyes, slowly and trying to speak, but her voice was low and raspy.

"If you want to live," he answered back.

"This is just too beautiful," Lyle said from the floor, struggling to stand. Parker looked over and instantly flew off the table, steadying herself quickly. Jarod didn't even notice her taking his gun. He just watched as she stood over Lyle with the gun pointing to his head.

"You're about to die, Lyle, be happy you saw something that beautiful before you do," she leaned down staring at him.

"You'd be a fool to kill me," he stared at her threatening.

"I'd be a fool not to, you sick, twisted, useless, annoying, greedy piece of shit," she spat at him, holding the gun an inch away from his scull.

"No," Jarod said, looking at her. "Not this way." He was judging her look at him.

"Saved by the humanitarian," Lyle said smiling at Parker.

Jarod walked over to them and stared at Lyle. "You're not human," he said viciously. Lyle's smile faded as Jarod pulled up Lyle with one hand and threw him on the slab. Parker moved to the table and held his arms down while Jarod tied them with his rope to the slab.

"You weren't dare," Lyle said looking at Jarod. "You can't live with yourself if you kill someone. You'd be no better than me, or Raines, or even Parker here. You'd be a murderer, Jarod." He looked at Jarod with knowing eyes, "is that what Sydney would have wanted?" Parker hit him hard with the butt of the gun, he went unconscious.

"Thank you," Jarod said looking up at Parker.

"No problem." Parker answered, smiling. They pushed the slab back into place and closed the tank cover.

"You short circuited the controls, he'll be able to get out." Parker said, looking at Jarod. He smiled and looked at the lever.

"He won't know that," Jarod opened the door, hit his face a few times until he woke up, shut the door again. Parker pushed the lever down. Lyle started fighting and banging on the glass. Parker smiled.

"No time to watch, we have to leave." Jarod said, looking at her and taking her arm.

Parker looked back at him and held up her gun. "No, I'm going after my father...and Raines. That son of a bitch is going to pay finally for my mother's death." Parker started out of the room when she saw sweepers running down the hallway.

"There they are," one of the sweepers said coming towards her. She fired hit one and closed the door.

"We're not going out that way," Parker said. Jarod looked at his watch. 9:09, five minutes left, he thought while Broots counted it down in his ear.

Jarod looked at Parker and then up to the vent system. "Come on," he said. She ran up to him. Jarod picked her up and she climbed on his shoulders to reach the vent. She hit the gun against the grating and he fell down, Jarod almost dropped her trying to side step the grate as it fell. She pulled herself up into the vents. Then she looked down and realized Jarod wasn't going to get up.

"Jarod!" she yelled at him.

"Go! I'll meet you on the outside."

"Go! Go where?" She screamed back.

"Follow the vents up, it will lead you out." She looked at him. "Go Parker!" She nodded and started down the small space in the vents to freedom.

Jarod looked around and heard the sweeper coming to the door. He hid behind the tank and waited.

"They were in here," one of the sweepers said, looking over at the tank. They saw Lyle inside. He opened the tank and Lyle started coughing and choking.

"Are you all right, sir." The sweeper said. Lyle looked at him after his coughing fit stopped.

"I want them dead," Lyle said, slowly getting up.

"They went there," the sweeper pointed to the open vent shaft.

"Then go up there and get them," Lyle said walking to the door. "And don't think, just fire." He added going out of the room.

Jarod stood up from his hiding space as the sweepers stood around the vent shaft looking up.

"Now, how do you suppose they got up there?" Jarod said, holding his gun on them. They turned around quickly at the sound of the voice. "Ok, boys. What's it gonna be? Personally, I think you should give up. I'm insane. I could kill of you...for fun." Jarod said, smiling at them. They dropped their weapons and stared at him. "Good choice. Now I want all of you to turn around and leave the Centre. There's a bomb. Now don't panic, but it's going to blow up in less than three minutes. Do I have that right?" He said looking up.

"3:25 seconds," Broots said in his ear. Jarod smiled.

"Who are you talking to?" The sweeper asked.

"My friend," Jarod said seriously. They all looked at each other, indicating to Jarod they really that he was crazy. "I talk to him all the time. He tells me who to kill." Jarod said, moving toward them. "Now go, before he says to kill one of you." They all ran out the door.

Jarod almost laughed as he went out the door. "Sydney," he said to himself and ran down the hallway the opposite way of the sweepers. "How much time, Broots?"

"One minute, thirty-five...thirty-four. Jarod get out," Broots said loudly in his ear.

"Stop worrying, Broots. Is Parker out?" My father? Greg? The others with Angelo?" Jarod said, still running.

"Greg and your father are out. I don't see Angelo or the others." There was a pause before he continued. "Wait a minute, there they are. They're out."

"All of them," Jarod said quickly. Jarod could hear Broots take a breath.

"I don't see Miss Parker or your father" Broots finally said.

"I'm not surprised," Jarod said under his breath, but the microphone under his shirt picked it up and Broots heard it.

"Jarod!" Broots yelled.

"Sweepers?" Jarod said, stopping.

"No," was all Broots said and Jarod looked into Sydney's office and saw what Broots did.

Charles was standing across from Sydney behind the desk, pointing a gun at him. Sydney was sitting in a chair.

"You stole my sons! Told Jarod that his parents died. You used him all his life," Charles yelled at him. Jarod could tell his father wasn't going to back down. He knew that look all too well, it's the same way he felt against Damon.

"Jarod, it's time," Broots said, nervously. "Fifty seconds left."

"Dad," Jarod said carefully. Charles turned to him, quickly and then focused back on Sydney who was looking at Jarod now.

"Jarod," Sydney started.

"Shut up! Don't talk to him. He's not your son!" Charles yelled back at Sydney.

"Dad, the bomb will detonate in less than forty seconds. We have to get out." Jarod slowly walked to his father.

"No, Jarod. I am ending this, right here."

"Sydney's not your enemy. He taught me. I know this is hard to hear," Jarod slowly reached in his coat pocket and pushed the pen cap. He heard Broots sigh in his ear.

"Timer stopped," Broots said.

"But you have to hear this. Sydney was the only father I had really known for all those years. I wish I had known you, but now we get another chance. Don't start it with another death on either of our hands." Sydney watched Jarod as he talked. It moved him to see Jarod and his father finally together.

"Charles," Sydney said, looking back at Charles. "I can't understand your pain, but I thought you and Margaret had died. They lied to me, too. I didn't know you were still alive until a few days ago. You have to believe that." Sydney and Charles stared at each other for a moment.

"I don't have to believe anything you say. You all ready brain washed my own son. You let Kyle die. I have no reason to believe you, Sydney." Charles said his name, sarcastically and lifted his gun higher.

"No!" Jarod yelled and ran toward them, standing between his father and Sydney.

"Jarod, don't do this," Charles said, pleading with him.

"You want to shoot him? You have to go through me. Dad, don't do this. Amanda was all ready hurt from this rage. Don't let there be more." Charles stared down Jarod and slowly let the gun drop to the floor. Jarod picked it up and looked at Sydney.

"Sydney you need to get out now. Take my father with you, please." Charles looked at Sydney.

Sydney nodded, Jarod headed for the door. "Jarod, where are you going?"

"Take care of another problem," Jarod said and ran out the door.

Sydney walked up to Charles.

"This doesn't change anything. You took away everything," Charles said, looking at him.

"Jarod has grown up into quite an impressive man, Charles." Sydney said, sincerely.

"Everything he is, is because of you," Charles answered back. Sydney could hear the hurt in his voice.

"Some things can't be taught. They only come from the child's parents," Sydney said and walked out. Charles looked at him for a moment and walked out behind him.



Jarod stepped out of the elevator and into the hallway to Mr. Parker's office. He ran down the hall, stopped at the door, lifted his gun and hit it open.

The scene before him was worse than he had just experienced. Miss Parker had Raines at gunpoint. Her father had her at gunpoint and they all looked to be at a standstill.

"Looks like we got what we wanted," Mr. Parker said as he looked over at Jarod coming in. Jarod pointed his gun on Mr. Parker.

"Jarod, back off. He's mine." Parker said, staring at Raines.

"She's insane," Raines said.

"You should know all about insanity," Parker spat back at him. Jarod looked at Miss Parker for a moment and saw the blood stains on her pant leg. Her leg wound reopened.

"Did you stop the bomb, Jarod?" Mr. Parker asked, keeping the gun on his daughter.

"What bomb?" Parker said, looking at her father for a moment before turning back to Raines.

"Jarod's father placed a bomb in SL-26. Didn't he, Jarod?" Mr. Parker smiled. "Jarod didn't tell you, angel, because he knew you wouldn't understand. Isn't that right, Jarod?" Mr. Parker looked at Jarod, smiling. Miss Parker turned to Jarod slightly and then back to Raines.

"Shut up, Daddy!" Parker yelled at him. "I don't need you anymore. You made it apparent after you found your son. I was just a problem, wasn't I? I told you, you should have let me leave when you were given the chance." She smiled. "Now, you're both going to pay."

"Parker, don't do this. It won't bring her back." Jarod said, walking slowly to her, keeping his gun on Mr. Parker.

"No, it won't. But it will make me feel good." She cocked the trigger and held her arm out.

"You pull the trigger, Amanda and I kill you next." Mr. Parker said, harshly.

"And Jarod kills you next," Parker stay focused on Raines. "That works fine for me. If I die at least it won't be in the back, like my mother."

"Your mother got what was coming to her," Mr. Parker said angrily. "She could never be controlled. She knew the consequences of her actions." Parker turned to her father with a horrified look on her face.

"What?" Parker said, staring at him. He put the gun down at his side and looked at her.

"Your father told me to take care of the situation that night," Raines said from his wheelchair. "The night your father," he turned to Jarod, "come to see Catherine."

"You had her killed," Parker said, amazed and disgusted at the same time. "You..." Her voice faltered for a moment. Jarod started towards her. She turned quickly to her father holding the gun on him. "All my life....I always believed he," she motioned to Raines, "made you turn against her. That deep down you really loved her," she moved closer to him pointing the gun in his face. "But you never loved her." She walked close to his face. "Or me, did you?" She yelled at him. Mr. Parker's face changed to fear as he watched her anger rise. "You're not even capable of that." She laughed slightly. "Jarod was right. All along. I just didn't want to believe it. That's why you kept us apart all those years. You knew he would turn me against you. You knew that." She started circling her father. "So you made certain Jarod and I would hate each other. You brought me back to this hell, so we'd be enemies." She stood in front of him. "But just like with my mother, you were wrong. You couldn't control her any more than me." She leaned into him. "Only I was smarter than Mom, wasn't I? I chose better friends." She turned quickly to her right and shot the oxygen tank tube. The oxygen was cut off from Raines' tube. "You're done," she said turning back to her father. "Don't ever come after us. You don't have a daughter." She turned away and walked to Jarod. "Come on, let's go. There is nothing left here for us." She walked past him. Jarod looked over Raines, gasping for breath and her father. He saw the gun raised and he reacted, shooting his first. Mr. Parker fell. Miss Parker turned around sharply.

"He was going to shoot you," Jarod said, simply and ran to Mr. Parker on the ground. She followed him and looked down at her father, dead.

"In the back..." she shook her head slightly.

"I'm sorry, Amanda," Jarod said, taking her hand. Raines started choking and reaching for the oxygen. Parker let go of Jarod's hand and kicked the tank off the wheelchair.

"Not this time."

"This is not over," he said in between coughs and breaths. "The Centre...always wins." They watched him take his last breath and then everything went silent. They stood looking at Raines for a long moment. Parker reached over and held Jarod's hand. They turned to each other.

"Come on, Jarod. Let's get out of here." She said, softly. They walked out of the office together and closed the doors.

They walked out of the Centre main doors and heard them close behind. They both took a breath. Parker turned to Jarod.

"How did you stop the bomb?" She asked. Jarod reached into his coat pocket and pulled out the pen with the timer on it. He handed it to her. "Is Lyle still in there?" She looked back at the Centre.

"Come on, Parker. We have a life to live." He faced her and pulled her in, kissing her deeply.

"Hey Jarod," he heard Greg say. He looked up and saw Greg and Angelo across the grounds. Jarod and Parker took each other hand and started running to them.

"We've got the van over here," Greg said as they approached.

"Everyone in," Jarod asked.

"Yea, it's quite an interesting group." Greg laughed. They got into the waiting van. Charles was driving.

"All set?" He said. Charles sped down the road. "I guess the bomb's timer was off, huh Jarod?" He said looking in the rearview mirror at Jarod.

"Yes," Jarod said smiling. Parker looked behind her and cautiously looked down at the pen.

"Just in case," she said softly to herself and pushed the pen. The timer started from twenty-two seconds.

"Jarod," Broots said in his ear. "The timer? Why did you restart it?"

"What, Broots?" Everyone turned to him.

"The timer restarted. There isn't anyone in there that I can tell." Broots said.

He looked over at Parker, staring out the window. He looked down to her hand and saw the pen. He moved next to her and picked up her chin and smiled at her.

"It's over, Amanda. Give me the pen," he said, softly.

"Lyle may still be in there," Parker said, holding the pen closer to her.

"It stopped," Broots said.

Jarod took her hand and they both looked down at the timer on the pen. It read :02. They looked at each other.

"Lyle," she said almost laughing. "He must have stopped...." Jarod didn't give her time to finish the sentence. He held the back of her neck and pulled her to him, kissing her passionately. Parker let the pen drop to the floor of the van and kissed him back, deeply. Sydney looked at Parker and Jarod and smiled to himself.



Lyle looked at the bomb and laughed. "Guess we do win, Jarod," he said, walking into the shaft. He winced at the pain in his leg for a moment and then reached down and tied the cloth around it, tighter. He climbed into the elevator shaft and started up the ladder.

THE END








































1


16






Chapter End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed my tale...please let me know.  I'm always open to feedback, but no spams please.  I wrote this because I loved the show, the characters and the great mysteries.

Thank you so much for reading!