Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT
and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Moonlight & Roses
Allyson Diana



Part One:


"No," was all he had said about a dozen times to the girl standing across from him.

"It will be easy, come on. We kill him and then we both get what we want," she spoke in a low voice intended for seduction. Unfortunately it came across raspy and barely audible.

"Look, Candie. I didn't come here tonight to talk about your husband," the man said in a little too perfect Brooklyn accent. "Frankie wants his money and I'm here to get it."

"That's what I'm telling you, sexy. I ain't got Frankie's money. Ricky split and took it with him. So if we find Ricky, Frankie will get his money." She swayed back and forth making him feel seasick.

"If I tell Frankie, Ricky's gone then he'll go after him for you," the man said looking straight in her eyes. He needed to be persuasive as possible with her. She had to take the bait.. He all ready knew what she had done and what she was about to use him for.

"Darling, it's not like that. How long have you been in this business?" She said quickly and then let out a laugh. "Hey listen Jarod, that's your name right?" Jarod nodded and she moved a step closer to him. "Jarod, honey, Ricky was a loser as a husband, believe me. I wouldn't say he was all that great in the human being arena either. He was a big, dumb lug who looked good at the time. So I made a mistake and now he's taken off with all the money and he left my ass in a sling. Understand? Huh, Jarod?" She moved in even closer to Jarod and this time, he got drenched in her combination of cheap perfume and alcohol. He grimaced at the smell. "I can tell you're a smart man, much smarter than Ricky ever was. So all we have to do is find Ricky and get the money back. Pretty easy, right?"

"Sure, pretty easy." Jarod said, taking a step back from her. "All right, Candie, I'll help you," Jarod said in a low tone, making Candie go weak in the knees. Jarod knew he didn't know much when dealing with women, but he could 'pretend' his way through any situation. And for now, it was working. "Take me to where Ricky is. I assume you know, don't you?" Candie smiled.

"I knew you were smarter than the others," Candie looked at him in a way that would normally make Jarod uncomfortable, but during a 'pretend' nothing really bothered him. He looked at Candie who continued to talk about Ricky and where he might be. Jarod no longer was amazed at people's trust in him. ' Of course, he could hear Sydney say, 'that is what being a Pretender is all about.' Looking at Candie now, Jarod realized if his plan worked she would be in a jail cell in less than an hour. Locked up for the murder of her current husband and three others who were missing for six years. Missing until he had come along. It had been a dangerous 'Pretend' from the beginning. Going undercover in the FBI or DEA was one thing, doing a pretend in a gang was something very different. No way out, he had thought when he first met Frankie and the gang. But Jarod also met Frankie's little sister, Mary, a sweet if not a little street smart, 6 year old who was born into this way of life and all ready developed horrible nightmares about the 'bad guys'. Mary had seen Ricky's death by accident and Candie had all ready threatened her. Jarod knew he had to try and stop this murderer before she could get close to Mary and silence her like she did to Ricky. The true purpose he had come into this 'pretend' was washed away by Mary who reminded Jarod too much of another little girl he couldn't save. Parker what happened to us? He thought to himself like he had thought so many times and once he even expressed the same thoughts to her. She had no more an answer than he did.

"So, let's go Jarod," Candie said bringing Jarod back to the present. "It's getting late."

"Yea, whatever you say." He answered her in his perfect accent. He could tell he was a little distant from her, but he knew she couldn't tell the difference. Not many people could, Jarod thought. Sydney and maybe, Parker, but she's so preoccupied with his capture, her mother's killer and her father's deceptions he would be surprised if she ever had time to think about him or what they used to be to each other.

Suddenly the door of the low lit bar opened and daylight streamed in. It blinded Jarod and Candie for a moment. Then Jarod saw the black suits, the guns and he saw them moving toward him. He reacted, reached for his gun, but before he felt it in his hand the world went black.

* * * *

Centre
Two hours later


"Where is he?" Parker hissed at Mr. Lyle as she walked down the hallway toward him.

"Caught, tied and down for the count, sis," Mr. Lyle answered, smiling. "Sorry I couldn't take you with me. I know how much it meant to you to catch him yourself, but I figured I had my shot and, well it worked, didn't it?" Mr. Lyle stepped away from the door and let Parker see into Jarod's cell.

Now she was glad she didn't call Sydney and get him in here on Sunday. She knew she would have to call him soon enough and looking at Jarod and what Lyle and his people did to him. She was hoping she could hold off Sydney for at least a day.

"Looks like the freak's come home," Lyle said and let out a laugh. "He looks good in chains."

Parker turned on Lyle with cold look and before Lyle knew what happened her fist contacted with his jaw.

"You son of a bitch. What the hell did your people do to him?" Parker looked at Lyle. "Do you have any idea what Sydney will do when he sees Jarod like this?"

"It was necessary to secure him for transport." Mr. Lyle looked at her, rubbing his jaw. "You should really keep those emotions in check, Parker. Someone could get the wrong impression about you and Jarod."

"I'll give you an impression, Lyle," she said shooting him cold eyes. She knew she was showing feelings toward Jarod, but she didn't answer to Lyle. Parker looked over at Jarod again. He was sitting in a chair, one they had brought in to keep him restrained completely from his head to his feet. Straps covered most of his body, he looked like a prisoner or worse, a Circus freak locked in a cage not the Centre's prize possession she remembered so much when she was young. She looked at his face and could see blood trickling down from a cut in his forehead under the strap, but what caught her attention the most was his eyes. They were staring out toward the door the only way his head could face and they were cold and blank. A cold, icy stare peered back at her and she shivered for a moment before turning away.

"I'm going to call for medical attention," Parker said coldly at Lyle. She turned and Lyle sharply caught her arm.

"Parker, he's dangerous. No one goes in until the Centre decides what to do with him."

"What do you mean?"

"It's obvious they can't leave him like this," Lyle's tone was casual, too casual for Parker. She knew exactly what he was talking about.

"They're going to take his memories of the past three years," she said knowingly and turning her head away so Lyle wouldn't see the disgust on her face.

"He has too much knowledge of the world now. If he's going to be any use, they have to make him forget the life he had for the last three years," Lyle turned to the room and smiled.

Parker felt sickened by how completely unemotional Lyle really was. She felt her skin crawl and she started to step away from this monster.

"I'm getting medical help or I'm calling Sydney. It's your choice, Lyle." She stepped closer to him.

"No one is going in." Lyle said with an air of confidence that forced Parker to clench a fist. She wanted to hit him again, but she restrained himself from that urge for the moment.

Parker looked straight in Lyle's eyes. "News flash, Lyle. If Sydney sees what your goons did to Jarod, I think you'd rather see the Centre doctors, than a psycho Freudian. Sydney is capable of killing you for what you did to his prize pupil. Which psychotic would you like to deal with...the one behind the glass or the one out here."

They stared each other down for a moment, then Lyle smiled and nodded. "Of course, Miss Parker. I'll get the doctor. You can keep an eye on our guest. Although I doubt he will be leaving before, let's just say..." Lyle smiled at her. "forever."

Parker watched him with eyes of a hunter waiting to pounce on its prey. She looked through the glass again and memories flooded her. Memories of her childhood, memories of her mother and memories of her and Jarod. She remembered all too well this feeling, watching Jarod through the glass. She knew she should be pleased that the searching was finally over and Jarod was brought back. It will make Raines and her father happy. It should make Sydney happy as well. He always said Jarod was in danger out of the Centre. Now everyone could monitor him -around the clock, she thought. Just like they do to her everyday. She looked away from the door.

Christ, Parker, get a grip, she said to herself. She couldn't believe how much like Jarod she sounded. If he had the chance to speak with her she knew that what he would say. Her mind went back to a moment more than a year ago when someone else asked her to think about Jarod.

"Miss Parker, you didn't answer my question," Brigitte said, still sucking on the lollipop in her mouth. "Do you have any unresolved feelings for Jarod?"

Parker hadn't answered that question anymore than she answered the hundreds of questions Jarod posed to her on a daily basis.

"What ever happened to us, Miss Parker?"

"What happens to us after we find what we're looking for?"

"That is the question," she had answered at the time.

Her mind raced from angry moments to tenderness to gratitude she expressed far too often to him, she thought, for helping her with the mysteries of her past. Parker looked back at Jarod and for a moment she knew he was looking at her. She felt a wave of sympathy wash over her. She moved closer and put her hand on the handle of the door. Through his bloodied face and cold eyes, she thought she saw a tear trickling down his cheek. Without thinking, she punched in the code and the door unlocked. This time, Jarod turned his head the best he could and looked at her.

"Doc's here, sis," Lyle said catching her arm. A Centre doctor dressed in a white lab coat stood beside him. "Did Jarod break free from a restraint?" Lyle looked at her and then to Jarod, who remained focused back on the door. Parker knew he had been watching her.

"I don't need to explain my motives to you. No one distrusts my loyalty," she said, coldly and walked down the hallway and away from Lyle and Jarod.

"Your loyalty to the Centre, Miss Parker or to Jarod," Lyle said under his breath. He looked over at the doctor standing next to him. "Go check on our lab rat. See if he's comfortable," Lyle said, smiling at the doctor. "If he gives you any trouble sedate him."

"Yes, Mr. Lyle." The doctor walked into the room. Jarod continued his death stare looking in front of him only. Lyle walked in behind the doctor, circling Jarod until he leaned down and spoke quietly in Jarod's ear.

"Home again, Jarod. Maybe I'll continue my tests on you. I think today's a good day to die, don't you Jarod?" Lyle smiled and waited for his reaction, but Jarod stay focused on the door ahead of him and didn't move a muscle. Lyle smiled again at him and leaned down again. "I know you can hear me." No reaction. "You want to play games, Jarod. Believe me, I've got lots of games to play." No reaction. "Sedate him!" Lyle said in frustration to the doctor. The doctor looked at him in confusion.

"He hasn't been uncooperative, Mr. Lyle." The doctor said.

"I don't care sedate him, before I do." Lyle stared down the doctor. Finally, the doctor took out a needle and did as Lyle said. Lyle watched as Jarod's eyes closed, giving up their fight against the sleeping drug.

"Good job, Lyle. I knew the both of you could bring Jarod in," Mr. Parker said walking into the room. "So, where is your sister? I wanted to congratulate her as well."

"We need to talk," Lyle said looking at his father. Mr. Parker nodded and they walked out of the room with the doctor.

"Not here. In your office," Lyle took the lead down the corridor to Mr. Parker's office. Once they were inside, Lyle closed and locked the doors.

"What is this about, Lyle?" Mr. Parker finally said looking over at his son.

"My sister."

Mr. Parker looked at him again and sat down on the edge of the desk. "What about her?"

"She may be a problem. You have to tell me about her relationship with Jarod," Lyle stood next to his father and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I need to know exactly what I'm up against."

"There isn't any relationship. It doesn't matter what happened when they were children. They're not children anymore, Lyle and I intend on making certain I don't allow the same mistakes to be made this time." He looked into the distance as if thinking about that time. "Your mother was too sympathetic toward those children, I always told her not to get involved," he laughed quickly, "but she never listened, just like you and your sister never listen to reason. Catherine said it would be good for your sister to have a friend and Jarod was close to her age and they seemed...." He drifted off for a moment.

"What happened?" Lyle asked.

"I ended it. They were becoming a problem," Lyle watched his father relive a painful memory. Lyle moved to a DSA machine on the table and pulled out a disk of young Jarod and young Miss Parker when she gave him a kiss. Mr. Parker watched and Lyle could see the rage visible in his face. "He was a problem." Mr. Parker walked away from the video screen.

"Did they stay away from each other? Are you certain those feelings have died?"

"She was a little girl with no friends and no mother. She sought comfort from somewhere. Jarod provided that and that's all. It was many years ago, Lyle. Why are you bringing all this up?" Mr. Parker looked at Lyle and he could see the memories of the past were gone and he was very much in the present.

"I think my sister still has feelings for him?"

"Based on what?" Mr. Parker laughed.

"She hit me the moment after she saw Jarod in the room." Lyle said, indicating where she had hit him.

Mr. Parker laughed. "And you think that merits her having feelings for him? Lyle, your sister is very emotional at times. She's like her mother that way and she didn't like the way you brought Jarod in. That's all."

"I think she's a problem. Jarod's got a plan, I'm sure of it. He looks like a vegetable but he's very aware of what's going on around him. He'll use her." Lyle stood next to his father, looking at him, trying to convince him it's right.

"Your sister will be fine, she knows how to take care of herself. Besides, she can be useful to us yet. Keep her on your side for now." Mr. Parker smiled and Lyle nodded. "Bring Raines in for the treatment. We should get started on Jarod's memory wipe."

"He's with Jarod as we speak," Mr. Lyle said, smiling at his father. "He will start the first treatment tomorrow."

"Good," Mr. Parker put a hand on Lyle's shoulder, "good job, son."

* * * *

Miss Parker's Office

Parker sat down and took the glass from the table, taking a long sip of the alcohol inside. She tried to imagine life now without the pursuit of Jarod, without the Centre. After all, she could leave now, couldn't she? She put down the glass and feeling a little better decided it was for the best. She would tell her father it was over. She fulfilled her part of the bargain and now she could leave the Centre once and for all.

"Hey, Miss Parker," she heard Broots call as he came down the corridor.

"What no cartoons on Sunday?" Parker said, not really meaning to be rude to him. She just needed to lash out at somebody and unfortunately, he had become a good target due to the fact he never lashes back. He looked at her and Parker knew he knew. She could just tell from the look in his eyes.

"Have you seen him?" He looked down quickly. "Of course, you have. You must have brought him in." He started rambling. Parker could feel her temperature rise and she looked straight into Broots' eyes.

"I didn't do that to Jarod," she said with such conviction Broots backed away from her, "The boogey man did."

"Lyle?" Broots said part in fear and part in disbelief.

"Who else," she answered back at him. She took a quick look around cautiously and then pulled Broots into her office.

"What?" He said as Parker closed the doors.

"No one tells Sydney, not yet." She said, looking intensely at him.

"Don't you think he'll find out?" Broots said carefully.

"I need time," she answered walking away from him to her desk.

"Time for what?" Broots said in a confused tone.

"I'm leaving." Parker turned back to Broots and looked at him. "You should too."

Broots couldn't believe his ears, Miss Parker was actually going to leave the Centre.

"Why?" He thought to himself, unfortunately he said it out loud.

"That was the deal." Parker said, in her professional tone and Broots knew that was the only answer he was getting.

"Aren't you going to tell Sydney?"

Parker looked at him and Broots knew that meant no she wasn't going to tell Sydney. If he hadn't have been at the Centre today, he doubted she would have told him.

"What about your father?"

"He's my problem, Broots." Parker turned toward the door, opening it, before she stepped out, she turned back to him. "Thanks Broots...for everything. Do Debbie a favor, get out of here. Take her somewhere, anywhere away from the Centre. My mother never got that chance." She pondered on her last statement and then she left.

Broots stood there not really knowing what to do. His first impulse was to call Sydney. He knew he couldn't.

* * * *


Jarod woke up slowly from the sedate and ached all over. The doctor had bandaged his head, he assumed while he was asleep, but it didn't stop the headache which pounded inside. All the bandages in the world wouldn't help this feeling in the pit of my stomach...Jarod thought. It was complete hatred of the Centre and, especially Lyle. Jarod knew he was leaving, he just wasn't sure anymore who he was going to have to kill or use to get out. He knew they were going to try and take away his memories of freedom. They would try and leave him with nothing. They would try...he thought. And they will fail, he said to himself. They will fail.

"We'll start tomorrow," Jarod heard Raines behind him. "It won't take long once the serum hits his brain."

"Can we be certain the treatment won't affect other parts of his brain?" He heard Mr. Parker ask.

"Bring Sydney in. We need to know what he knows before we do the procedure. Once it's done, there is no reversing it," Raines said through his breathing tube attached to the oxygen tank on his wheelchair.

"I'm not certain Sydney will agree to this..right away," Mr Parker argued.

"Sydney belongs to the Centre. He will agree it is best for Jarod," Jarod heard disgust in Raines's voice when he spoke his name.

Both of the men came in front of Jarod and stared at him for a moment.

"He'll have to talk eventually," Raines said looking into Jarod's eyes. He keep them focused forward.

"He's damn stubborn," Mr. Parker said, staring at him like he was an animal to look at the local zoo.

Jarod looked sharply at Mr. Parker. His face showed his surprise and he stepped back.

"Yes I am, Mr. Parker," Jarod's tone was cold and unfeeling. "I'm not your lab rat. I will not be your puppet."

Raines pulled his wheelchair closer to Jarod.

"You will be anything we want you to be," Raines spat at him. "The Centre owns you. There is no escape this time, Jarod."

"You can't keep me locked up, you tried once, you failed." Jarod's tone turned to angry and then sarcasm.

"I won't fail, Jarod," Lyle said entering the room. "I knew you'd wake up with just the right kind of persuasion, my friend."

"I am not your friend," Jarod yelled back at Lyle.

"Well we'll just see how much you might need me as a friend, Jarod," Lyle circled him until he stood behind him. "We'll just see."

Miss Parker walked down the empty corridor toward Jarod's 'cell'. She figured this was where she would find him when he wasn't in his office. She could see the door ahead of her. She stopped in front of it and looked into the room. She could see Lyle, her father and Raines looking at Jarod. Jarod looks like a god-damn freak show, she thought to herself. Another wave of sympathy toward Jarod washed over her. She closed her eyes and tried to prepare herself for facing him, but all the courage she possessed couldn't get her to push that handle. I'd have to be crazy to face him, she said to herself. Just don't think, Parker, just leave. She told herself as she walked away from the door and thoughts of Jarod. Parker reached into her coat pocket and did the one thing she knew needed no courage, she called her father on the cell phone.

"Daddy," Parker said into the phone. "We need to talk. In your office." She waited for his answer and hung up the phone. She walked back down the corridor and waited for him to exit the cell. A few minutes later, he emerged with Raines following behind. When they approached her, she looked at Raines.

"I need to speak with you alone, Daddy." She said, staying focused on Raines.

"Lyle will bring in Sydney," Raines said turning to her father. "By tomorrow, we'll have Jarod where we want him." He breathed in on his air.

"And where would that be?" Parker said coldly at him. She knew she shouldn't start this now. It was too dangerous, but the feelings of guilt had never overtaken like they were at this moment. "A vegetable in one of your freakish labs, Frankenstein."

Raines breathed in again and stared at him for a moment. She met his stare, challenging him. "Your job is done here, Miss Parker."

"And that's why I want to talk to my father." She turned to Mr. Parker, "I'm leaving today."

"Angel, don't get carried away."

"She's done with her job and she's free to leave," Raines said, smiling slightly at Miss Parker. She felt a chill go down her spine and got an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach from his words. Raines passed her in the wheelchair and continued down the hall. Parker watched him as he turned the corner out of sight.

"Angel, you know you can't leave," Mr. Parker started. She turned back to face him. "Your work isn't done here."

"Jarod is back and I'm leaving, Daddy," she said with conviction her father knew all too well. "There is nothing else for me here."

"I understand. I do, but now isn't a good time to discuss this. I will need you to help with Sydney. Jarod learned a lot about the Centre while he was out there. We need to know what he learned and who he told that information to." Mr. Parker smiled at her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "I need you, angel."

Miss Parker looked away from his eyes. I can't stay she wanted to scream at him. I can't stay, Daddy and watch you destroy Jarod. I can't....I can't... She snapped herself back to the conversation and to his eyes.

"Daddy, please I need to leave. We had a deal." She looked at him, pleading in her eyes.

"Angel, you know how important this information could be to the Centre and I know how persuasion you can be with Jarod. You've always come through when the Centre needs you. We need you now. You have to help Sydney see it is in the Centre's best interests to find out what Jarod knows." Mr. Parker smiled reassuringly at his daughter and walked down the corridor and away from her last hope of freedom from the Centre. She looked down and shook her head and slightly laughing to herself. The irony was unbelievable, she thought as she headed back to the dreaded cell. She looked through the glass again this time with anger. Everything is always about you, isn't it Jarod? She said to herself. And to think once I actually cared...she stopped her thoughts realizing the sight still appalled her regardless of how controlled her life was because of him. She tried to hide behind her defensives she used so well, but nothing could wash away the sight before her and how helpless he looked mirroring her own feelings of helplessness against the Centre. She laughed again to herself. It was truly ironic.

"So Mr. Lyle, you think you can just take away my memories and I'll be your puppet," Jarod said staring at Lyle as Parker walked in. He looked quickly to her and then focused back on Lyle. "You'll have to take all my memories to make me play your games." His tone was threatening and dangerous. Lyle heard it and Parker heard it. It didn't make either of them very comfortable.

"What do you think, Miss Parker?" Lyle said, turning around slowly to her. She looked at him and walked closer. Every step was becoming harder for her. She took a deep breath and approached him heading her right into the Lion's Den. She avoided Jarod's eyes.

"I think you should find another play toy, Lyle. One that doesn't talk back to you." Lyle looked at her with a deadly stare. She closed in on him, "didn't get enough love as a child?" She stared at him. She wanted a fight, it would make her feel better right now.

"I called Sydney, he's on his way. Now it's your turn to play, Miss Parker?" He smiled, looked at Jarod and back to Parker. "After all, the Centre needs your loyalty...and trust now." Lyle smiled again at her, she smiled sarcastically back at him as he walked out.

Parker stayed focused on the door, not wanting to turn around to the prisoner behind her.

"Your father disappointed you again, Miss Parker." Jarod said. She didn't turn around. "How much can you take?" She spun around to face him with fire in her eyes.

"More than you, Jarod." She turned to the door and started to walk out.

"It must be a very lonely place," Jarod stared at her.

She reached for the handle and looked back at him.

"Where would that be?" She said coldly.

"In your heart," was all he said. They stared at each other and for a moment, Jarod saw Parker's eyes turn from rage to sorrow. He almost regretted what he said.

"Go to hell, Jarod." She pulled open the door, walked out and shut it behind her quickly. She leaned to the side of the door against the cold wall.

"I'm all ready in it," they both said to themselves.

"Sad...Jarod..." Angelo said hiding in the ventilation system above Jarod.

Jarod looked up and fought the impulse to look excited about seeing Angelo. He knew the cameras were watching. They were always watching.

"Sad...Amanda...sad," Angelo continued.

"Amanda?" Jarod was shocked to hear Angelo call Miss Parker by her first name.

"Sad...Angelo...sad...Jarod friend...Amanda friend...gone." Angelo stayed for a moment looking at Jarod. "Bad..." Jarod heard him move away from the room.

"Amanda," Jarod said, deep in thought.

* * * *

The Centre
1971

"Come on, Jarod, it'll be fun," young Miss Parker said as she looked up at Angelo in the ventilation system above them. "There's never anything fun to do here."

"Fun...Jarod... Amanda... Angelo...fun," Angelo repeated this phrase again and again until Jarod helped Miss Parker into the duct and followed behind her.

"Sydney going to kill me if he finds out," Jarod said cautiously looking back at his room and security.

Miss Parker turned to him in the small space and looked him dead in the eyes. "Then don't tell him." She said, smiling.

"He always finds out." Jarod answered, sadly. "He knows everything."

"Not everything," Miss Parker said, smiling back at him. "No one can know everything Jarod."

"Come...quickly." Angelo said ahead of them. They smiled at each other and followed Angelo through a series of vents until they came upon Mr. Parker's office. Jarod and Miss Parker stopped quickly as they heard his voice.

"I'm sending Amanda away," Mr. Parker said to Raines. "This is a bad environment for her."

Miss Parker and Jarod looked at each other, quickly. Angelo moved ahead of them, assuming they were behind him.

"Do what you want," Raines said, smoking a cigarette as he turned to leave the office.

"It is for the best." Mr. Parker said.

"Of course." Raines smiled at him and walked out.

Jarod and Miss Parker watched her father sit down and pick up a picture of her and her mother from his desk. He looked up toward the vent. Very cautiously Jarod and Miss Parker started moving away from the office and towards Angelo.

"You're going away?" Jarod had said when they were at a safe distance from Mr. Parker.

"I'm sure it's not for long," she had answered.

"I don't want you to leave," Jarod said stopping her. She turned to face him. "You are my friend, Amanda."

"We'll always be friends, Jarod. That doesn't change just because I have to go away for awhile," she said smiling. She reached over and touched his hand. "My mother always said friends are forever."

* * * *

The Centre
Present day


Jarod didn't know how long he had been thinking of his past when he heard the door beep open.

"Oh my god, what have you done to him?" Sydney turned on Miss Parker and Mr. Lyle as they walked in behind him.

"Don't look at me Syd, it was the prodigal son here who left the marks." She turned toward Lyle, looking at him. "Wasn't it?"

"Jarod," Sydney started. Jarod stood transfixed on the door. "Jarod, it's Sydney." Sydney said in a soothing tone. Lyle walked up to Jarod.

"He can hear you, he's playing a game." Lyle looked at Jarod. "Snap out of it, Jarod or we'll give you something to help you snap out of it." He was visibly angry at Jarod.

Jarod stayed transfixed on the door. Parker kept her eyes on Jarod's as they bore into her. She was frozen in that space, she knew she should move away from those eyes, but she couldn't seem to get her feet to obey.

"Come on Jarod, Sydney's here to talk to you," Lyle said trying to be soothing, but it came across as a threat. "Jarod...damn it Jarod." He pulled on Jarod's shirt and pulled his head toward him. "Look at me." Jarod stayed fixed on a point behind his head. He let go of his shirt, turned away and quickly punched him hard. He was aiming for his jaw but hit his cheek instead with his ring. Blood trickled down Jarod's face.

"You son of a bitch," Miss Parker reacted first, pulling Lyle away from Jarod. "Get out," she screamed.

"Testy this morning." He said looking at her, smiling.

"So help me god, Lyle, I'm going to wipe that smug smile off your face." Parker stared him down.

"I'm getting worried about you, sis," Lyle started. "You're getting too emotional in this situation. Would you like me to ask Dad to relieve you of your duties?" He smiled again.

Parker smiled back and clenched her fist bringing it up to punch Lyle again. He caught it quickly in his hand. Within a matter of seconds, her other fist came crashing down on him. He held her by the shoulders and looked at her with cold eyes.

"Don't ever hit me again," he said threatening her. She tried to pull away from his grip, but he tightened it. "Ever!" Sydney started to move towards them.

"Stop it!" Jarod yelled. They all looked at him. Lyle laughed and let go of Miss Parker.

"Guess he can talk when he wants to, huh Syd? Well, see what the two of you can do. I have other matters to attend to. Remember the Centre wants answers." He looked from Sydney to Parker. "And they expect them today." He opened the door and walked out.

"That psycho ought to be locked up in his own cell," Parker said under her breath. "He's a walking menace to society."

"Jarod, you know what they want to do." Sydney said looking at him.

"I've heard they want my memories of the last three years gone, so I can't remember what freedom was like," Jarod said coldly looking at Sydney. "You're here to help me understand why."

"They don't think you'll cooperate without the memory wipe." Sydney said checking the wound on Jarod's head.

"What do you think, Sydney?" Jarod's tone was cold. Sydney knew what he was up against when he got the phone call.

"I think it's over, Jarod. You're back safe." Sydney looked at him. He turned away, looking over at Parker and fighting the urge to cry. He knew the tears were welling up all ready. So, he started to laugh instead. A laugh that caught the attention of Parker and Sydney. She looked over at Sydney.

"Jarod..." Sydney started. Jarod just laughed harder, staring at Sydney with a psychotic look in his eyes. Sydney attempted to talk to him again, but he kept laughing getting louder.

"Itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout," Jarod began turning his head back and forth as much as he could from Sydney to Parker. "Down came the rain and washed the spider out. Out came the sun and dried up all the rain and the itsy bitsy spider went up the spout again." Jarod laughed again right at Parker, she looked at him. Then quickly held his shoulder down and stared into his eyes. He keep laughing, softer now.

"Cut the crap, Jarod. This isn't a game. This isn't a pretend." She looked at him, strangely. She had never seen him like this and she wasn't sure she could take anymore.

He stared at her stopped laughing as his expression changed to dead serious. "No, it's my life Amanda." Parker backed up and looked at him for a moment before walking out of the room. Jarod started after her.

"Jarod, you have to help us."

Jarod smiled slowly and looked at him. "Itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout.." he continued to sing as Sydney walked out, shaking his head.

"So, Syd you're going to just let them take Jarod's memory. No questions asked. Just do what you're told, right? That's the way it works," Miss Parker shook her head. "Unbelievable. Well, I got to hand it to you." She started to walk away from him. "You know, Syd," she turned back to him, "I actually thought all that psycho babble about Jarod being a danger to himself out there was a load of crap to keep him safe." She smiled and shook her head again. "Raines uses him for his mind, my father uses him for money, Lyle uses him for power, hell even I used him for my freedom, but you really are his worst nightmare, aren't you Syd? You used him to save your own ass." Miss Parker moved closer to him. "I hope it's worth it, Syd when you watch them drain away his memories." She turned away from him. "I need a cigarette."

"Parker, you know me better than that. I'm trying to help Jarod. I can't abandon him now," Sydney continued. Parker let out a slight laugh and looked at him. "Jarod needs me...and you. He's in a very dark place. He has taken on the part of a captured animal filled with rage and contempt."

"No shit, Sherlock. That's what he is." Parker looked back to the glass and caught Jarod's eyes. They started at her with an intensity that pulled at her heart. She looked back at Sydney, "you're going to kill him with your damned analysis." Parker stared at him for a moment longer, fought the tears in her eyes and the wall she used so well came crashing down between her and Sydney for the first time. "It doesn't matter. You can't do anything, the Centre knows everything, Sydney. Everything," she whispered to him. "And that person you raised in there is a captured animal waiting to pounce on his captors. I'm not about to become one of them. Not this time." She turned away from Sydney and walked back to her office. She really needed a cigarette.

Sydney watched her before walking the opposite way down the corridor.

* * * *

"Sydney, oh my god, what the hell is happening around here?" Broots said running up to him. "Parker's out for blood. And Raines and Lyle aren't too far behind." Broots looked quickly back and forth down the corridors. "Sydney, what is going on with Jarod?"

"They want us to find out what he knows before they do the memory wipe." Sydney looked at Broots.

"What do you mean us?" Broots said nervously.

"I want you to find Angelo, Broots. Don't let anyone see you." Sydney started to walk away.

"Syd," Broots said in a loud whisper. Sydney turned to him. "What do I do when I find him?"

"Just find him." Sydney said and walked away.

"Sure, just find him and do what...I'm going to get killed." Broots said, walking away.

* * * *

Parker's Apartment
Delaware


Parker walked into her apartment and threw the keys down on the table. She walked to her liquor cabinet, pulled out a bottle of whiskey, turned over one of the glasses from the top of the cabinet and sat down on the couch. She put the glass and the bottle in front of her. She looked at them for a long time...debating with herself about how drunk she should get.

"What the hell, everyone else has gone crazy. What's one more?" She said out loud and poured her first glass. She gulped the drink down and poured another one. After three more glasses, she reached over and picked up a picture of her mother. "Mom why did you have to leave? Why?" She didn't realize what she had done until the picture broke and laid on the floor. "Damn it." She said to herself and picked it up. "Ouch. Great!." She said exasperated. She looked at her bleeding finger. "Figures." She said walking to the kitchen and wrapping her finger in a small towel. She looked down at the bloodied towel, thinking.

* * * *

The Centre
1971

"Jarod, do you ever think about dying?" Young Miss Parker looked at her friend waiting for his answer. He was working on another puzzle Sydney had given him, involving two mirrors and a flashlight. She had taken the flashlight and was flashing it at the mirrors off and on creating a strobe light effect in the room.

"Dying? Miss Parker did you talk to your father yet?" Jarod asked, watching the light reflecting off the mirrors.

"He's too busy." She said, defeated. "Besides he always says she was sick and..."

"What do you think? She was your mother." Jarod asked, taking the flashlight from her hand and turning it off.

"I don't know, Jarod. She killed herself. She was sick." Miss Parker stood up and walked away. She saw a mirror in the back of the room that was shattered. She went over to it. "What happened to this mirror?" She asked, picking it up. "Ouch," she dropped it. Jarod got up and walked to her, taking her hand that was bleeding.

"Are you all right?" He said looking at her and then back to her hand.

"Why would you keep a broken mirror, Jarod?"

"To see myself." He finally said. She looked at him, confused. "I asked Sydney for a mirror to look at myself and find out who I am. It didn't help, I broke it. Now I have all these pieces. Someday I'm going to put these pieces together and then I'll know who I really am." Jarod had wrapped her hand with a rag that was lying on the table while he talked. "All better," he said smiling at her.

"Thanks, Jarod." She said and smiled back. "My father wants me to go to dinner with him tonight. Maybe I'll talk to him then."

"Good luck," Jarod said as she walked out.

She closed the door and touched her hand to the glass like she had done so many times before. Jarod brought up his hand on the other side. They stayed like that for a moment, then she turned and ran down the hall.

* * * *

Present

Parker didn't realize she was crying until the phone rang. She walked into the living room and picked up the receiver.

"What?" She said, trying to regain her composure.

"We need to talk," Lyle said on the other end. "I don't want to seem like I'm prying, but I think you should tell me about what happened today. It wasn't like you." Parker thought about telling him where to go in no uncertain terms or to justify her position or to just tell him off, but none of those ideas would have helped at this point and she knew it. So she opted for another way of dealing with Lyle.

"Bye, Lyle," she said and hung up the phone. "Asshole," she said to herself, picked up the bottle and the glass and started on her fourth drink for the night.

* * * *

The Centre
Next Afternoon


Jarod opened his eyes and blinked to come into focus. He could hear voices but he couldn't make them out. Slowly his senses returned.

"It's done, now Jarod will continue his work here," Raines said. "I want to test it first."

"Are you doubting your own serum, Mr. Raines?" Sydney said over Jarod.

"Sydney..." Jarod said weakly. "Sydney, where am I?"

"You're at the Centre, Jarod...where you always been." Sydney looked at Raines.

"What do you remember?" Raines hissed at Jarod. "Tell us."

"I remember a simulation I was working on for a client." Jarod said, starting to sit up, he realized his hands and legs were strapped to the table.

"What simulation, Jarod?" Sydney asked.

"To create an anti-virus." Sydney and Raines exchanged a look.

"All set, Sydney. It's your time to continue your teachings," Raines looked at Sydney, turned his chair around and started to wheel out.

"Dr. Raines," Jarod said.

"Yes, Jarod." He turned back to him.

"What happened?" He said looking at the wheelchair. "Did you have an accident?"

Raines looked at Sydney then back to Jarod. "Yes, Jarod, an unfortunate one." He opened the door and wheeled out.

"How are you feeling Jarod?" Sydney asked.

"Fine. Why am I strapped down? Are we in the middle of a sim?" Jarod asked.

"Yes, Jarod. Let me take those straps off." Sydney started to remove the straps on his arms.

"I don't think so, Sydney. Not yet. Some of us are not satisfied." Lyle said, walking in.

"Who are you?" Jarod asked Mr. Lyle.

"Mr. Lyle worked with Dr. Raines." Sydney said to Jarod.

"I'm here to help you, Jarod...with the sim." Lyle sat next to the bed in a chair. "What do you say?"

"Sydney..." Jarod looked at Sydney.

"It's all right, Jarod. Mr. Lyle is here to help you."

"Like hell he is," Parker said walking in. "You just couldn't wait, could you?" She looked around the room and realized they had made the room look exactly the way it used to when Jarod 'lived' here. A wave of nausea passed over her creating a horrible combination to her hangover.

"Miss Parker how nice of you to show up today. Have a rough night?" Lyle said standing up. "I think we should talk outside. Jarod is busy."

"I'll bet he is," Parker said looking at Sydney.

"Miss Parker..." Jarod said, trying to look up at her.

"Why are you strapped down Jarod? A little sim with Syd here." She walked past Lyle to Jarod.

"Yes. Sydney can I stand up now?" Jarod said looking at Sydney. Sydney looked over at Lyle. Lyle nodded his head at him.

"Awful nice of you, Lyle," Parker said, helping Sydney with the straps.

"I haven't seen you in a while, Miss Parker," Jarod said as he stood up.

"Yea, well I'm been busy." She answered, trying not to show any emotion.

"I know." Everyone looked at Jarod. He smiled. "You always say that, Miss Parker."

"Parker let's talk outside." Lyle said, taking her arm.

"Back off, Lyle." She said, looking at him with a determined expression.

"You two know each other?" Jarod asked. Parker shook her head, she knew this would be hard.

"He's my brother, Jarod." Parker said, not looking at him.

"Um..I didn't know you had a brother, Miss Parker." Jarod said, looking from her to Lyle.

"Yea, me either until a while ago." Parker said turning away from Lyle. "It was a wonderful family reunion."

"You're upset," Jarod walked over to her. "Why?"

"All right, this is too weird. I'm leaving." She turned around and walked to the door. "Nice job, Syd."

"Parker," Lyle called after her and walked out the door.

"Well, Jarod. I think that's enough for today. Get some rest. We'll talk tomorrow."

"Yes, Sydney." Jarod said, moving to his table and started working on the origami sitting on top.

Sydney walked out of the door right into Parker and Lyle.

"You two can't confuse him like that," Sydney said looking at Lyle.

"Yea, Syd...you all ready confused him enough." Parker snapped at Sydney.

"He seems unharmed by it all," Lyle said, looking through the glass at Jarod. Parker pushed him aside at the glass and looked herself.

"Yea, he looks very unharmed," Parker said watching Jarod complete an origami from three years ago. She took a deep breath and turned back to Lyle and Sydney. "Of course you're going to have to explain three bruised ribs, a slight concussion and a few minor bumps and scraps on him. But then you're the god-damn genius's I'm sure you've got a story for that, too." She threw them both a disgusted look and walked away.

"Sydney I don't want her in there. She's a threat." Lyle said looking after her.

"To who? To you?" Sydney asked. "She's your sister. She asked to leave. Why don't you let her then she won't be a problem here." Sydney looked at Lyle.

"Not my decision." He answered and looked over at Jarod. "I'm posting a guard at the door I don't trust him...or her."

"His memory is gone. There is no reason for alarm." Sydney said, defensively. "He's been through enough."

"He escaped once, Sydney let's not forget that." Lyle smiled at him. "He could try it again if something doesn't go the way he wants it. That's what your job is. Don't make the same mistakes this time." Lyle walked away.

"Oh, I won't, Mr. Lyle," Sydney said.

* * * *

The Centre
Later that Night

Jarod walked around his room, pacing. His mind was racing and he needed to calm it. He started breathing in deep. Finally he sat down on the floor and tried to calm himself. Focus, Jarod. Focus. He told himself.

Jarod heard a bang on the door and then Parker entered.

"I think he'll be out for a while. Lyle's sweepers aren't that good," Parker said walking to him.

"How long have you known Lyle was your brother?" Jarod asked her.

"I just found out recently I had a brother. You helped me..." She drifted off. It all hit her at once. He didn't remember Finigore and the Red Files or.... "Jarod, you can't stay here."

"Why?"

"You know why, you've done enough, you've seen enough." She took his hands in hers, quickly. He looked down at their hands. She started to think about how to explain this to him. Think, Parker. She told herself. Jarod looked back at her. "You're scared of them, aren't you?" She started thinking back to that time with Jarod. She hadn't seen him much at that time, so this was going to make it harder to understand where he is.

"They are always watching," Jarod said looking at her and then turned toward the cameras. Parker pulled his face back she didn't have a lot of time, she had to make him understand.

"You need to get out, Jarod, from here. They took your memories. You all ready escaped once. You have to help me. I don't know how you did it. You have to remember, Jarod."

Parker looked at him with desperation.

"Why are you telling me this?" Jarod asked, taking his hands away. "You left me years ago. You don't care."

Parker walked to him and turned him back around. "Yes, I do. Friends forever, right?"

Jarod's face expressed astonishment at her.

"Listen to me Jarod. It's all in there somewhere. You have to think."

"What about the cameras?" Jarod said, looking at her.

"I've got it covered. Broots is scrambling the cameras, but I only have a few minutes. Now think!" She yelled at him. "All my life you've been the genius, the one everyone wanted to own. Use your gifts now. Save your life, Jarod." Parker was staring at him with an intensity that stopped Jarod's thinking.

"I know, Amanda. I don't want you to do this." Jarod looked at her with the intense look she had come to know well...since he had been out. Since he had been out, she thought. She looked at him in confusion.

"Jarod..."

"What?" He said, reverting his expression back to look at her with innocent eyes.

"Jarod, can you remember..." A loud alarm went off in the Centre and Parker and Jarod stared at each other.

The door code was heard and before Jarod knew what he was doing, he reacted. He pushed her against the wall behind her and kissed her.

"Well, well, well." Mr. Lyle said looking at the scene and then back at Sydney. "We found the lovebirds."

Jarod stopped the kiss and looked at Parker who instantly slapped him across the face.

"How dare you! Don't you ever touch me again!" She yelled and walked by Sydney. "Keep your lab rat away from me. If he wants to experiment again, have Frankenstein make him one of his own kind," she said to Sydney and walked out.

"Jarod..." Sydney started. Jarod walked away. "What happened?"

"She wanted information about her mother's death. I told her it was a suicide and she kept going on and on about things I didn't understand. She needs help, Sydney. She still hasn't reconciled with her mother's death after all these years." Jarod sat down. Lyle keep his eyes on Jarod watching his every move.

"So, Jarod what about the kiss? Did she do it?" Lyle asked, sarcastically.

"No, I did."

"Why Jarod?" Sydney walked up to him.

"She's...beautiful."

Lyle burst out laughing. "I can't argue with that, even if she is my sister." He looked over at Sydney. "Sydney I think you better have a talk with the boy. I have to go talk with my sister," Lyle shook his head and walked out.

"Jarod, what are you doing?" Sydney asked as he sat down next to him on the bed.

"Something I needed to do a long time ago." Jarod said in barely a whisper. Sydney looked at him for a long moment and then nodded his head.

"Be careful," Sydney said getting up and walking to the door. "Things have changed."

"Some things never change, Sydney." Jarod answered looking at him.

Sydney pondered on Jarod's thought for a moment then walked out the door.

"Some things stay exactly the same." Jarod smiled and laid back on the bed.

* * * *

Miss Parker's Office

"I have nothing to explain. Wonder boy has the answers in that head of his and I'm going to find them. Somehow he knew my mother's death wasn't a suicide and somehow he knew where to look for the answers." Parker was pacing the floor in front of Lyle. He intently watched her as she picked up a cigarette case on your desk, pulled out one and lit it.

"Thought you quit," he said walking up to her.

"Look, Lyle. My motives and motivations don't have anything to do with you. I wanted to leave, Daddy won't let me. You want me out of your little games, have Daddy change his mind. You're good at that." She looked at him and smiled. "Because if I have to stay here believe me, Lyle, I will be watching you."

"Is that a threat, sis?" He said with sarcasm dripping in his voice.

She looked at him in the eyes, "no, Lyle, it's a promise." She smiled and took a drag from the cigarette.

She started to tell him to get out when Sydney walked through the doors of the office.

"Good luck, Sydney, I think my sister needs a friend right now." Lyle turned to the door. "I would remember who your friends are, Miss Parker." He smiled at both of them and left.

"How could I forget?" She answered back to the closed door. She looked over at Sydney and smiled, putting her head down. "Unbelievable, Syd," was all she say and ushered him out of the office, down the hall and outside.

"Miss Parker, what are you doing?" Sydney finally asked when they were a few blocks away from the main building.

"There's a good question, Sydney. Let's see, I'm risking my ass for him, I think you're working with Lyle and his goons only to discover Broots and I risked both our lives to help Jarod who doesn't need our help, does he, Syd?" She stopped walking and looked at him.

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't play this game with me," she closed in on him for a moment and then backed up, laughing. "Tell me it's some sort of residue from the memory wipe. That Jarod can 'feel' certain emotions and use certain expressions from an experience he can't remember. Tell me that, Syd. I'd really like to hear that right about now." She walked to a bench a few yards away and sat down, turning away from him.

"Parker, you know I couldn't let them take away his memories, no more than you could." She looked up at him, sharply.

"What were you really doing in that room?" Sydney asked, sitting next to her. She turned to him.

"You first. How?"

"Angelo." Sydney said matter-of-factly.

" Of course," she closed her eyes for a moment. "Angelo always come to the rescue, doesn't he? While we all risk our lives, he just walks in and out of the Centre whenever he wants, helping Jarod every step of the way. I love it. It's a perfect disguise. Act like an idiot and no one will suspect you. Is that how it works?"

"Angelo obtained a vile of the serum to be used on Jarod. I just switched the two vials." Sydney said.

"And what did Frankenstein give Jarod?"

"Distilled water."

"Brillant plan, Syd. Except you've got one problem...I know." Miss Parker stood up. "I am not going down for him, Sydney."

"Parker, you said you wanted to help him. Is that why you were in the room?" Sydney stood up and looked at her. He knew she was putting up her walls again.

"I went to see him..." she stopped herself and looked away from Sydney. "It doesn't matter."

Sydney put a hand on her shoulder. "Yes, Parker it does matter...to Jarod."

She laughed, "Jarod. Everything is about him isn't it?" She walked past Sydney. "I must have been crazy to want to help him."

"Parker, you won't go to Lyle or your father with this," Sydney said. She stopped and turn back to him.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't tell them?" Parker said. Sydney could see her struggle.

"Because you love him." Sydney answered. They looked at each other for a moment. Then Sydney walked past her back to the Centre.

Parker stood in the place he left her for a few more moments. Then she went back to bench and sat down.

Damn you, Sydney. She thought to herself, and damn you even more, Jarod.

She didn't know what to do. He was right and she had known it for some time. She might have known it all along, but she always kept her feelings for Jarod out of the Centre. They were between her and him, they always had been and that's exactly where she wanted them to stay. Now what, she asked herself. All her life centered around Jarod. She had tried not to think about her childhood, to not think about that life, the memories were too painful. Her mother's death, their friendship lost, her father's betrayals. How much more could she take? She asked herself. She felt the tears come and this time she didn't try to stop them. What was the point?

It was over, she thought as the tears flowed freely down her cheeks. There was no going back anymore.

Do I love him? she asked herself as memories flooded her. She had gone from a childhood friend who cherished every moment they spent together to his worst enemy and adversary.

Jarod, what happened to us? The unanswered question all these years was answered by her own tears that day. The Centre happened, she said. I let them control my life and yours. Jarod, I'm so sorry. I was so busy hating you, I never realized how much I needed you.

Parker continued to sit on the bench, crying until it became dark and the lights on the grounds slowly came on. She looked back at the building, ominous and looming over her. As she looked to the east side, where she knew Jarod's cell was, she thought about her mother and how many times she must have felt exactly the same. She risked her life to save Jarod and the other children. She went up against them and got killed, she thought quickly.

But, Mom, I'm not you. I have to succeed...for you Mom.

She stood up, brushing off her tears and walking back towards to the Centre. But this time when she walked through those doors, she knew exactly what she had to do and her emotions couldn't be a part of it, especially concerning her father. She wouldn't make the same mistakes her mother had made.

I have to get him out, she said to herself. She owed the Centre for her mother, for Jarod and for herself. It's time to clear those debts, once and for all, she said as she opened the front doors and walked inside.


* * * *

END OF PART ONE







Chapter End Notes:

Keep reading Part Two! Thanks!