Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Miss Parker struggles with the past and the present. With Jarod captured and The Centre looming over them, can she set them free at last?

 

Part Two of Moonlight & Roses


Moonlight & Roses
Allyson Diana
Part Two:

The Centre
Two weeks later


Jarod's hands punched the keys on the computer rapidly. In a matter of minutes, he had downloaded the virus from the Internet and used it to wipe out the entire security system at the Pentagon. Of course, it was only a simulation. One of which Jarod make certain no one else would be able to copy. The Centre would have all the information they wanted from National Security but Jarod put a small bug in the system that would automatically alert the NSA as soon as they were about to download it.

"Good job, Jarod," Sydney said, taking the CD out of the drive.

Lyle walked up behind Sydney taking the CD from him and smiling at Jarod. "A very good job. Less than seven minutes the entire Pentagon computer security was wiped out. I'm impressed, Jarod." He sat down next to him. "You're quite the genius, aren't you? I say that with complete respect. I've never seen anyone be able to do the things you can do."

Jarod smiled at him. An innocent, boyish smile, Lyle had come to know over the past several weeks. He put a hand on his shoulder. Jarod looked back at the computer and punched a few buttons bringing up 'Myst', a computer game Broots had loaded under Sydney's guidance a few days ago. He had been playing the game every chance he got trying to solve the final puzzle. After the first few hours that Broots gave it to him, Jarod had solved the easy puzzles as he called them. But it took a little longer to do finish the last one. He was almost there when Sydney had brought in the CD with his next challenge on it ten minutes ago.

Lyle stood up and let him continue his game while he motioned for Sydney to follow him outside.

"Well, Sydney he's coming along just fine. Tomorrow you can continue where you left off with the simulations," Lyle said, "we have a client." Lyle handed over some blueprints to Sydney. "Give Jarod these."

"What are they?" Sydney asked looking down at the paper.

"Blueprints for a new building our client is in the Construction Industry. He wants to give his boss the best security system for the new building in the world. He came to us." Lyle started to walk away. "Oh, he needs it in two days. Tell Jarod good luck from me." Lyle said and rounded a corner right into Miss Parker.

"I was looking for Sydney," she stated, backing up from Lyle. "My father wants to see him."

"I haven't seen you in this part of the Center much, Miss Parker," Lyle said trying to get her back up. She had been excruciating normal in the last two weeks. No fights, although she still tended to react sarcastic to him...if he started it.

"Is he here?" Miss Parker said, passing Lyle and stopping briefly to wait for his answer.

"Right over there," he pointed back down the corridor. She nodded and walked around the corner.

"Sydney," she said walking up to him.

"Miss Parker," Sydney smiled at her. He hadn't seen her at all since the incident in Jarod's cell. He was starting to think she really had left the Centre, until Broots had told him otherwise a few days after their talk outside. "Where have you been?"

"Here and there." She said, quickly. "My father wants to see you," she looked at him for a moment, then turned around and started to walk away. "Sometime today, Syd." She said as she went rounded the same corner she had come from. Sydney had to walk faster to keep up with her. They continued down the corridor until they came to the elevator at the end of the hall. She pushed the button and waited staring straight ahead.

"Parker, what's happened?" Sydney said quietly.

"I'm on security, you're babysitting Jarod, Lyle's running operations and my father is in charge. Sounds just like old times," she said as the elevator door opened and they stepped inside. Sydney could still hear the tone in her voice, even if Lyle and others didn't. She was good at hiding her emotions and Sydney figured it kept her sane.

She pushed the button for the office level and leaned against the back of the elevator, taking out her cigarette case.

"I thought you quit, Parker," Sydney said, looking at her.

The elevator door opened and Parker stepped out. "Thought you did too," she said back to him as she took the lead down the hallway to her father's office. "Guess there's just some things we can't give up, eh Syd?" She looked back at him for a quick moment, then opened the doors to her father's office ushering Sydney inside.

"Sydney," Mr. Parker said looking out the window with his back to them. "I'm glad you could come."

"I couldn't refuse the invitation," he said looking over at Parker. She started to leave when her father turned around.

"Angel, why don't you stay? You might find this interesting." Mr. Parker looked over at his daughter.

"I have work to do," she said and walked out. Sydney had turned to Parker as she left, amazed at her tone and resolve. He had never seen her be so cold with her father. When he looked back at Mr. Parker, he knew it was affecting him. Sydney wondered how long they had been like that.

"She's a determined girl. Always trying to make things run smoothly." Mr. Parker said trying to ignore the uncomfortable feeling left in the room. "Sit down, Sydney." Mr. Parker motioned to the chair across from him. Sydney took a seat and waited for him to speak.

"We intercepted a message from an old friend," he walked to his desk and picked up a photograph of a man in his mid-thirties. He passed the photo to Sydney.

"He's alive," Sydney said, looking at the photo and remembering something he had tried long ago to forget.

"And well, from what Lyle's people have found out."

"What do you want me for?" Sydney asked not really wanting to hear the answer.

"You know what this could mean for the Centre...and Jarod." Mr. Parker said carefully as he walked from behind the desk to where Sydney sat.

"Jarod's father," Sydney answered, staring down at the photograph.



Later that night

Lyle raced into the Centre's elevator and waited impatiently for it to reach the 26th floor. The door opened and he run down the corridor to where Sydney stood peering into Jarod's room. Lyle walked past him, pushing him out of the way.


"He's gone," Sydney said and hid a smile.

"Where is he?" Lyle said coming up to Sydney, threatening him. "Where did you take him?"

"I wasn't here. The Centre called me in, just like you."

"What about security cameras?" Lyle said.

"Broots has been working on it since he got here. Nothing was on the tapes." Sydney answered looking over to where Broots was at a video monitor watching.

Lyle walked to him, "what do you mean nothing? There are hundreds of cameras here. He wasn't caught on any of them."

"I wouldn't exactly say that, Mr. Lyle," Broots said turning to look at him. Lyle walked over to him.

"Then what would you say," Lyle looked at the video monitor as Broots rewind the tape slowly. He stopped it and Lyle saw Jarod sleeping peacefully.

"What did he do?" Lyle asked, annoyed at having to ask at all.

"He looped the tape, but not just once. Over hundred times, that I've seen so far. It's actually amazing." He let out a quick laugh looking at Lyle. Lyle did not look amused, he quickly looked back at the screen. "You see," Broots started fast forwarding to Jarod getting up, pacing around the room, working on the computer, taking a drink of water. "It was taped in small segments but put together it looks...real." He looked back at Lyle. "He had to be working on this for weeks."

"You idiots," Lyle said hitting the back of the chair.

"I'd be careful throwing that term around tonight, Lyle," Parker said walking in smiling.

"You helped him. You're on security," Lyle said frantically searching her eyes.

"Nope wrong again," Parker said, moving to where Broots was.

"You're security in this place, Parker, you have to answer for this screw up." Lyle said walking to her. He stared at her. Parker turned around to face him, staring back.

"Your morons took me off security tonight. They said the order came from my father...and you. So guess it's your screw up, Lyle."

"God damn it, how did he do it?" Lyle yelled. He looked back at Parker. "I want you to search every hole in this place, every crack in the wall, starting here." He pointed into the room.

"Search it yourself, Lyle. You won't find anything," she answered back. Broots and Sydney were watching the exchange as Mr. Parker came in.

"Lyle, what is going on here? Have you located Jarod?" Mr. Parker asked walking up to them.

"I was just telling my sister to go over the entire place with a fine toothed comb, it seems she has better things to do." Lyle said, looking over at her. She took out a cigarette and lit it.

"You look Lyle. This is your mistake." Mr. Parker said not hiding the anger in his voice.

"Find Jarod now!" Mr. Parker looked from Miss Parker to Sydney then walked out.

"Guess you're not on Dad's number list anymore, Lyle." Parker said. She laughed as Lyle threw her a look and walked into Jarod's room.

"Miss Parker, do you think he did this alone?" Broots asked quietly. Sydney moved next to them.

"Don't look at me, Broots. I don't know how he did it." Parker smiled. "I just glad he did to Lyle." She walked past Sydney patting him on the shoulder. "Buck up, Syd. Things are looking better," she said and walked back to the elevators.

"She's getting too weird," Broots said as they watched her leave.

"She's a Parker," Sydney said and placed a hand on Broots shoulder before turning and leaving also.

"Hey, Syd," Broots asked. He stopped and waited for Broots to walk up to him, "you didn't..." he started looking over at the video screen.

"I'm just a psychologist, Broots. What would I know about security and video surveillance?" he said, smiling and walking down the corridor.

"Jarod...gone." Angelo said walking by Broots. He looked up at him quickly. "Jarod...free." Angelo kept walking into Jarod's room.

"This place is entirely too weird." Broots said walking back to the video screen.



Somewhere outside the Centre
Delaware


Jarod stopped running and looked back toward the Centre and its searchlights. He knew that sight all too well.

"Jarod, we have to keep going. They come searching soon," the man said ahead of him.

Jarod followed him. They caught up with the three others in front of them and got into the waiting van parked on the side of the road. They sped down the road.

"You okay?" The man who was running with him said.

"Who are you?" Jarod asked looking at them. There were five men now, including the driver. They had come into his cell at the Centre and told him it was time to go, that they were there to help him. They explained about the cameras and Jarod made a few adjustments before leaving through his escape route. A route they hadn't come into the Centre by judging from the fact Jarod had to lead them through the maze of the ventilation system and to open ground. This alone had left Jarod with more questions than answers.

"We told you we're here to help you. We're sorry we couldn't come sooner. We just learned about your capture a few days ago," the man said looking back to see if anyone was following. They stopped for a moment and pulled Jarod from the van to a truck on the road. The driver in the van took off and they piled into the truck laying down in the back. The new driver sped even faster than the first.

"Nice to see you Jarod," the man said from the driver's seat.

"How do you all know me?" Jarod asked.

"We've known about you for a long time," the first man said to him. "We've been trying to find you. You're a hard man to find."

"Why would you want to find me?" Jarod keep focused on the man in front of him.

"We will tell you all about it once we get to safety." He said and smiled at Jarod.

The men all settled down to sleep as the car sped down the road. Jarod tried to find out more about these people, but he realized they were going to tell him anything...for the moment. But they seemed safe enough and they had 'rescued' him so to speak so he laid down and fell asleep also, not realizing how exhausted he really was.

Jarod didn't know how long he had slept when he heard the car stop and then turn. He woke up with a start and saw all the men getting up.

"We have just a little further to go," one of the men said to him. "We had to move fast."

The car veered toward the woods and after a few minutes it turned onto a dirt road stopping the car in front of cabin, which looked to Jarod like the only place within miles. They piled out and went inside. Two men went ahead searching the grounds. When they felt it was secure they joined Jarod and others in the Cabin's living room.

The man who had been running with him from the Centre, had gone into the kitchen and started throwing beers to the others. He looked over at Jarod who was standing next to the fireplace. "Heads up, Jarod." He said and threw him one. Jarod caught it and placed it on the mantle behind him.

"I bet you're wondering who we are," one of the men who hadn't spoken to Jarod said. There were all sitting on the floor, the couch or the chair in the room and they were all looking at him.

"Yes," Jarod said.

"Let's just say we're part of your past," the driver said standing up and walking to Jarod. "A missing part." The man looked to be older than the rest of the men, but he had a boyish face still if not intense brown eyes. Jarod stared at him.

"Who are you?" Jarod asked, still staring at him. The men didn't say anything and sat there frozen, like it was a painting and not an actual moment Jarod was living.

The man smiled at him and looked down for a moment as if pondering something. When he looked back up at Jarod, they were tears in his eyes.

"I am..your father, Jarod." He said and smiled at him.

Jarod didn't speak or move for what seemed to him like an eternity. His eyes filled with tears as he looked at this man and recognized where he had seen those eyes before. They were his and he started to notice other similarities as well. Jarod was frozen in time as he stared at this man and tried to remember him. Flashes came to him of a father he was knew but could no longer remember the details of his face.

"It's all right, Jarod. I didn't want to have to tell you like this." He said, soothing. "But I'm been looking for you my whole life and..." he stopped himself. Jarod could see the strain in his eyes as he tried to find the words.

"You found me," was all Jarod said and he hugged him, feeling deep into a moment only they could share. Jarod held onto him for a long moment before he pulled away.

"There's more to tell, Jarod. I want you to understand why I couldn't get you back all those years ago."

"Jarod," the familiar man to Jarod now said, "my name is Greg Darmay. This is Henry O'Sullivan," he said as he started to point at each of the men. "That's Robert Farley. Over there," he said pointing at the chair, "is Neil Wood and that's Peter Oliver." Greg looked at Jarod and stood up. "We were all kidnapped by the Centre, Mr. Parker and Dr. Raines. We were rescued years ago while we were still children."

Jarod looked around at each of the men and instantly felt a connection to them. He knew what Greg was about to say. "Catherine Parker saved you." Jarod said simply and then turned back to his father. "What is my name?" Jarod said, anticipation in his voice. He had waited so long, searched so hard and finally he was here. He stared at his father.

"My name is Charles Holland, Jarod. Your mother is Margaret and..." he paused for a moment. "Your sister's name is Emily." He looked at his son smiling slightly trying to make this easier, but he knew this wasn't going to be easy.

"Where are they?" He said to Charles. Jarod thought about seeing his mother for that one moment as she tried to speak to him. He pictured her and his sister as if it was happening all over again. He could see their faces against the window of the taxi as it drove away.

"Someplace safe." Charles said. "It's better for now if we don't tell you. The Centre will try to kill her and your sister if they knew. Sometimes, I don't even know where they are. But I assure you, Jarod they are safe." Charles took his hand briefly and then walked back to the group.

"We have a lot to do and not much time. The Centre will figure out sooner or later that you didn't do it alone. They know everything, believe me. I used to work for them." He said as if this was a simple statement he had said many times before.

"What? You used to work for them."

"Years ago. I promise you I will tell you everything, but right now we need to work out a plan to destroy the Centre," he stood in the center of the room and Jarod stared at him as he talked. He looked at the brown eyes, the dark hair, his nose, his ears and slowly the pieces were coming back to him. He seemed to recall the man reading to him, flashes of memory came flooding back to him.

"We'll finish the rest when I get back," he said to the boy as he tucked him in.

"Why do you have to leave, Daddy?" the boy asked.

"Daddy has to go to work. I'll only be gone a few days, Jarod. Now be good and go to sleep." He kissed him on the forehead. "I love you." He said as he started to the door of the little bedroom.

"I love you too, Daddy," Jarod answered and closed his eyes.

Jarod was pulled back to the present by Greg who was staring at him now. "Are you sure he's all right, Charlie?" Greg asked looking at him. "Maybe they did something to him while he was there."

"I'm fine," Jarod answered. Greg smiled quickly.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it..."

"I know." Jarod said, reassuringly, "I'm fine."

"Here's the only way. That bomb didn't do as much damage as we may have thought." Charles said, looking at a blueprint of the Centre now. Jarod moved towards him.

"You knew about the bomb?" Jarod asked his father.

"We knew about it...too late." He looked up at him. "Sydney never could get anything right." He said with anger in his voice. Jarod looked at him and saw his expression go from angry to hurt before changing back to calm. He looked over at Jarod and smiled. "I have may have anger towards the man who raised my son, you could imagine." He said and then went back to the blueprint.

"We'll need to blow the entire place, that's the only way to make certain everyone dies with it." Charles said in a casual tone. "We can't make mistakes. Not now."

"You can't blow up the Centre," Jarod said. "What about all those lives?"

All the men looked at him as if he was crazy.

"Who cares? It will kill Raines and the rest of his cronies. That should end it once and for all," Greg said.

"No, it's wrong. You can't just kill the innocent along with them. What about Angelo?" Jarod said trying to plead with them for another one of the victims. "He doesn't deserve that."

"He's done for, Jarod. We can't save Angelo," Neil said, looking at him.

"He was done the minute Raines got his hands on him," Greg said to Jarod. He looked away. "Even Catherine couldn't save him."

He looked at his father, "no I can't allow this. There are people there...who matter." Jarod said cautiously. He understood this pain and the resentment and especially the hate. He had felt it as well. But he couldn't allow them to kill Sydney and Broots and Angelo...and Amanda, he thought to himself. He looked back to his father, Amanda, he thought, how was he going to explain this to my father?

"Look, Jarod, I know you spent a lot longer inside than any of us. But believe me, I worked with them. Everyone who works with them kills innocent people, intentionally or not, deserves to die right along with the rest." Charles tried to make Jarod understand. But he could see the look in his eyes and he knew he had failed.

"No, I don't believe that. Some of them...deserve a chance. The same chance that Catherine Parker gave all of you." His father looked away. "Don't you understand you can't stop the Centre by becoming what it represents? You can't live your life hating them for what they did, I know it's easy to hate them, but Raines and the others will get their own punishment in time." The men had all stopped and were looking at him now. "There are other ways to destroy them without killing. If we kill them, it's no different than what they did to else. We would be no different than them." Jarod finished and turned away walking back to the fireplace.

"Give me a minute," Charles said looking at the men. They slowly dispersed from the room and going outside. Charles walked over to Jarod. He put a hand on his shoulder.

"Jarod...son. Listen to me, please," he said. Jarod didn't know what to do. He was torn in two and he could feel the pain deep inside him. He looked away at his father and he knew tears were in his eyes, but he couldn't fight anymore. He wanted it to be over just like them. He wanted the nightmares to go away, the fear to stop, but he couldn't agree to this. He couldn't kill them.

"I know you were in there for a long time. I know what Sydney must have meant to you. I know how alone you must have felt, but they have to be stopped. Don't you understand, Jarod, they will do it again and again until they kill you?" He said, grabbing Jarod's arm hard. Jarod jerked up looking at him. "I won't let that happen. Whatever feelings you have towards these people. Forget them. I'm your family. Not them. I'm your father, Jarod, not Sydney and no one in that place was ever any good to anyone." He stared at him intently. Jarod saw such anger in his eyes, he pulled himself away from the grip.

He walked back to the couch and stood in front of it, trying to be strong. He looked at his father. "Did you kill Catherine Parker?" He finally asked, taking a deep breath and waiting for his answer. He knew there was no turning back now.

His father stared at him and walked silently to the chair standing behind it. He took a long breath and turned back to face his son. "No, Jarod, I didn't." Jarod let out a breath he didn't realize he had been holding and felt relieved somehow.

"I wanted to," his father said sitting down in the chair. "I thought she was evil allowing it all to continue and to take my baby boy. To take my son and then to leave him there."

"She was going to get me out when someone killed her." Jarod sat down on the end of the couch next to his father. He took his hand in his. "Dad, do you know who killed her?" He said, looking into his eyes. Charles didn't look back at Jarod. "Please tell me. There's someone who needs to know."

His father looked up at him. "Raines," he said. "Raines saw me, I didn't know he was there. I had the gun on her, but I couldn't do it. Then the shot came from behind me. I saw her fall, I dropped the gun in my hand. When I turned, I saw Raines. I ran as fast as I could to get away. He followed me but the security was all ready there. He told Parker it was me and they sent people after me. I couldn't go back there for fear of my life. So I had to stay away from the Centre and from you. Jarod," he looked at him, "it was the hardest thing I have ever done...to leave you behind. But I knew someday I would find you again and together we will make everyone of those bastards pay." He stared at Jarod with an intensity in his brown eyes. An intensity that frightened Jarod. "Do you understand now, son?" He said, pleading with him.

"I understand." Jarod got up and started to walk away.

"Where are you going?" Charles asked as he stood up also.

"I need time." Jarod said and headed upstairs.

"We don't have any more time, son," Charles said as he looked after his son going up the stairs.



The Centre

Broots sat at the DSA machine, Sydney was standing over him. Miss Parker had moved to the corner, smoking. It had been only a day since Jarod's escape and all ready they were teamed back up with Lyle to search for him and it was obvious to all of them, this was the last place they wanted to be. Lyle had them looking over the DSA tapes from the last two weeks to find any trace of Jarod's plan. Parker had stopped watching over an hour ago.

"Broots rewind that," Sydney suddenly said. Parker turned to him.

"Do you have something, Syd?" She walked over to the men and looked at the screen. Jarod was sitting at the computer, staring. Broots rewound the tape and showed it to Sydney. Parker and Broots looked up at him.

"What?" Parker asked, annoyed.

"One more time, Broots." Sydney said, leaning down closer. Broots rewound the section of tape again and waited for Sydney to tell him why.

Parker leaned in and tried to follow what Sydney saw. She back up after a moment and sighed, shaking her head.

"It's a message," Sydney finally said, smiling. "Jarod is using a code Look at his right hand" Sydney pointed to the screen. Parker leaned back over, Broots leaned in and neither of them could see what Sydney did. All they saw was Jarod hitting a mouse button with his finger, tapping.

"He's playing the game I loaded," Broots said.

"No, Broots look closely." Broots leaned in again and this time it hit him. He turned up the volume on the DSA. There was a series of taps that could be heard. "Oh my god, Sydney." Broots pointed to the computer screen on the tape. "The computer's not on."

"Exactly. Write it down, Broots." Sydney said, getting a chair and sitting next to him.

"You're both crazy," Parker said walking away from them.

She went back to the corner and took a drag from the cigarette. She was depressed enough she didn't want to know anything about Jarod's message. It was probably a big joke on the Centre and her. She leaned her head back against the wall and closed her eyes.

"Parker," Sydney said, quickly. She opened her eyes and looked at him. "Come here." Parker walked back to them and looked at Sydney. Broots looked up at her. "It's for you, Miss Parker." Sydney said.

"What?" She looked at the screen and then down to the piece of paper with a series of dots and dashes on it. The two men looked at the screen intently, Broots wrote down a few more dots and dashes and then looked at Sydney.

"It's Morse Code. The oldest code there is. Jarod learned it as a child, that's how he communicated with his brother, Kyle when he was here."

"Yea, yea. Get on with it, Syd," Parker said thoroughly annoyed now.

"Amanda," Broots started. He looked up at her.

"What?" Parker snapped at him.

"I didn't know your name," Broots said nervously and went back to the paper. Parker just looked at him. "Find your answers where there are moonlight and roses." Sydney and Broots looked at each other.

"What the hell does that mean?" Parker said walking away. Now she was annoyed.

"It must mean something to Jarod. Think Parker. He's reaching out to you," Sydney said. "He knew he was leaving. He wrote this message for you. It must mean something."

Parker paced trying to think.

"Why would Jarod leave a message three days before he actually left?" Broots asked. Sydney looked over at Parker.

"I don't know Broots." Sydney answered, staying focused on Parker.

She paced back and forth and then it hit her.

"Moonlight and roses," she said quickly.

"Do you know what it means?" Sydney asked, standing up. She turned to him.

"When we were children, right after Mom died. I used to ask Jarod about death all the time. He asked me to talk to my father. When I finally did. My father told me that in heaven it could look like anything you want. I told Jarod this and..." She drifted off to a distant memory.

The Centre
1971


"So what did he say?" Jarod asked sitting on a bench. Miss Parker was standing up away from him.

"He told me heaven looks like anything you want it to," Miss Parker answered.

"What do you think it looks like to your mother?" He had asked.

"I don't know." Miss Parker said turning away.

Jarod stood up, walking to her. When he reached her, he touched her face, she looked back at him, "I think your mother's heaven looks like moonlight and roses," he said, smiling at her. She smiled and he let go of her face and sat back down on the bench. Miss Parker looked at him. Then walked to the bench and sat down. She paused a moment before leaning in and kissing him.

"So what does it mean, Parker?" Sydney said pulling her back to the present.

"I have to go, Sydney keep looking. See if Jarod has anymore messages. Don't show Lyle any of this," Parker started to walk out.

"Where are you going?" Sydney asked.

"To find the moonlight and roses," she said quickly and walked out.

"Sydney, do you know what she's talking about?" Broots said looking at him.

Sydney smiled. "Come on Broots, let's look at the tapes again." Broots nodded his head and pulled out the DSA putting in another one.


Parker slammed open the door of her apartment, through down her coat and keys and started to search. I know it's here somewhere, she said to herself. She went into the bedroom and looked around in her closet. She felt the box in her hand and pulled it down. She looked at it for a moment and brushed away the memories she knew were inside. She opened the box and dumped out the letters. There were dozens of them, all from Jarod to her during her time at school. Sydney had somehow gotten them to her all those years. She started opening the envelopes and searched for the one she knew was there.

After a few long minutes, she had it. She opened the letter with the drawing of moonlight streaming through a rose garden on the front. She sat back and started to read.

The days seem endless here now. The simulations go on and on and I still can't stop thinking about you. I miss you, Amanda. I hope your learning everything you wanted in that school. I wish sometimes I could see the world like you do, but I know I can't.

Do you remember when we were children and you asked your father about heaven? I still think your mother lives in Moonlight and Roses, Amanda. I would like to see that place someday, wouldn't you?

I want you to know that if you feel the same...I will know and I'll wait for you...with her.

I hope you understand what I'm saying. I have to go now. Sydney's back.

Your friend always,
Jarod

Parker put down the letter and felt the tears on her cheeks. Why didn't she think of it before? She thought to herself. All those years, Jarod. I never thought...she stopped herself, brushed away the tears and took the letter, putting the rest in the box, closing it and placing it back on the shelf. She had to think now. She picked up her keys and coat and walked out of the apartment.





Jarod woke up with a start. He was sweating and breathing heavy. He couldn't remember the nightmare, but he was certain it had to do with the Centre. He looked around him quickly and started to calm his breathing, realizing he was actually free and with his father. He looked around the bedroom and saw he was alone. He went to the window and slid open the doors to outside. He stepped out to the deck and saw the moon shining down.
He thought about her again. He knew he had to get there soon. Even if she never figured it out, he had to try.

Be patient, Amanda. He said to himself. I'll be there, I didn't except it to be like this. He talked silently to the moon and somehow it felt like he was talking to her.

Jarod moved back to the bedroom and walked downstairs. He saw Charles sitting at the couch with the blueprints laid out in front of him. No one else was around, so Jarod figured they were all asleep.

"I need to borrow the van," Jarod said to him as he stepped into the living room. "I need to go back."

Charles stood up and looked at him. "Jarod, you're home. This is your home now. With me and the others. I going to find your mother and you can see her and the sister you never knew. There is no going back."

"I had planned to escape the Centre the night after you came. I'm grateful for you and the others that you got me out, but I had all ready planned it and someone is waiting for me. I need to let them know I'm safe." Jarod said, looking at him. He could tell his father wasn't going to understand.

"Who? Sydney?" Charles asked, looking away. "You have to let go Jarod."

"I want you to understand, but I don't have the time right now." Jarod said, walking to him. "I need to do this. It's important."

"I can't let you go back there. I just found you, I'm not going to lose you." He looked at his son and Jarod smiled.

"You'll never lose me, but I can't leave her there," Jarod walked away.

"Who, Jarod?" Charles looked at Jarod closely. He saw him stop, take a deep breath and turn back to face him.

"Miss Parker."

Charles laughed. "You're crazy. She's after you. She has been for the past three years. Jarod she's not your friend. She wants you back at the Centre...to be used." He walked up to Jarod and held his shoulders. "She doesn't care about anyone but herself."

"You're wrong and I'm going back to save her." Jarod pulled away from him. Charles caught his arm and turned him around.

"No, you're not. Let her go like the rest of them. She is your enemy Jarod. She's just like her father. If she was your friend, why did she let them do that to you?" Charles looked at him, pleading in his eyes. "Let her go."

Jarod stared at him for a long moment, "I can't, Dad. I'm sorry you don't understand. But Amanda doesn't have anyone to save her. I'm not leaving her there...not again."

Charles let go of his son and shook his head. "You love her." He said, simply. Jarod looked at his father with eyes that bore into him.

"Yes, I do." Jarod said, sounding as if it was the first time he had really heard it. "I do," he said almost in a whisper looking down.

"And what happens when she takes you back to the Centre, Jarod? She doesn't love you. She uses you. She always used you. Think Jarod."

Jarod shook his head trying to ignore his father's statements. "You don't understand." He said with conviction. Charles stopped walking towards him and stared at him. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Jarod..." he started.

"I'm sorry but I need to live my own life. I wanted to find you and Mom so much. I never thought I could be complete until then. But I found you and soon I will see my mother. I can't ignore what I feel anymore. I can't allow you to destroy a hope. That's what they did." Jarod walked to him and took his hand. "That's what they took from you the night they stole me. Don't let me leave her there, like you had to leave me. I can't live with that guilt."

"And what if she doesn't love you? What if she wants to take you back?"

"Then I'll know. But Dad, I have to find out...once and for all. Don't you see? I have to know I can't wonder forever." He looked at him, intensely. "I have to do this...for me."

"It's worth risking your life for this woman?" Charles said trying to understand, but all he could see was his son leaving him again.

"Yes. Catherine Parker thought it was worth risking her life for me."

Charles let go of Jarod's hand and sat down. There was a long silence and then he stood up again.

"All right, but I'll take you back. Just in case." He said, quickly and then walked outside.

Jarod smiled and let out a breath, following him out the door.




Parker walked slowly to the graveyard. It had been almost a year since she had come here. She walked to the section she knew so well and looked down at the headstones she past.

"Her voice is inside you," she heard Jarod say to her when they were children. She looked down at her mother's grave and reached out touching her hand to it. Mom, she said softly. The sun was breaking through the trees as the early morning dawn began. Mom, she said again. Tell me what to do. She put both her hands on the stone, closing her eyes.

"Honey, remember," she heard her mother say as she sat with her a long time ago at the mirror. Her mother brushed her hair as she talked. "Always listen with your heart. It will tell you what to do."

"How do I know how to listen?" she had asked looking up at her mother with the innocence only a child knows. Her mother smiled, a warm, comforting smile. She loved that smile.

"You'll know. Just reach out and listen. Trust in your heart." She said and put down the brush and hugged her daughter.

Parker opened her eyes and the memory was gone once again. She looked down at the stone and started to look around it. He must have left a clue, she thought. He always leaves something. But she didn't see anything. She looked around, searching with her eyes for any sign of Jarod. Nothing. She started to turn and leave when she heard it. She could hear it clearly. She walked back to her mother's grave, touching it again. You were right, Mom. Just reach out and listen. She smiled and turned to the bench nearby. She sat down and waited.

The van stopped at the road ahead of them. Jarod could see the graveyard and daylight was streaming through now.

"Jarod, I should go with you," Charles said, taking his hand.

"No. She...I need to talk with her alone." Jarod said. "Trust me. She won't hurt me," he smiled at his father and opened the door, getting out.

Charles watched his son go into the graveyard and out of sight. He tried to calm his heart from beating so fast, but he couldn't help thinking how he had done the same thing years ago.

"Leave him," the man who he had come to know as Finigore said. "You can't save him now."

"He's my son, I can't leave him with those monsters," he had told him.

"They need him. They won't hurt him," Finigore said, looking at him. "You're in danger now, Charles. They want you dead."

"I didn't do anything," Charles had said, looking at him.

"Raines will use you as the killer. It will save him and they will never stop looking for you and Mary. You need to run now and don't look back...ever." Finigore took his hand for a moment then walked away. He never saw him again and he had never gone back to the Centre since that horrible night.

Charles looked at his watch as the seconds went by, he felt he was losing his son all over again.



Parker's eyes were closed when Jarod approached her. She must have been waiting for hours, he thought. He walked up to her and stopped in front of her. She awoke with a start, pulling her gun.

"I promised someone you wouldn't hurt me. He might get upset if he saw you pointing a gun at me," Jarod said, smiling at her.

"Jesus, Jarod. You scared me." She said, putting the gun away and looking up at him. "What is this all about?" She looked at him with those cold eyes he knew so well.

"Moonlight and roses, Miss Parker," he said.

"I read the letter, I knew you would come here. But I can't figure out why you would risk your freedom to talk with me." She stood up and Jarod walked a few steps away.

"Because I need to know something and I need to tell you something," Jarod said turning to face her. She walked up to him.

"How did you escape this time?" She said from behind him.

"I had help."

"Sydney?" Parker asked.

"No. Miss Parker, you weren't going to let them keep me there this time were you?" He looked at her. She walked away, shaking her head.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Must be the drug." She turned her back to him.

He approached her and touched her face turning her around to look at him, like he had done years ago. "You risked your life to come to me that night. I had never seen you so determined."

"I was stupid." She said, moving her face away.

"Amanda, don't let it happen again." He said with such conviction in his voice, she stepped back.

"Jarod I..."

He grabbed her arms, quickly and pulled her to him. She struggled until he kissed her. The kiss changed from desperate to needing as she put her arms around him and kissed him back. After a few moments, they both stopped and slowly looked at each other.

"I love you, Amanda," Jarod said first, looking at her tenderly. "I always have. I know now I always will." Parker's mind was racing. She had to get out of this. It was becoming way too intense even for her. She looked at Jarod's eyes pleading with her for an answer she just couldn't say it. She breathed in and out a few times. Jarod held her hand and pulled her, she resisted. "Come with me. Don't go back there." He stared into her eyes and she thought she was going to melt away right there.

"I can't. Jarod, I can't. Not now. They will never stop looking for you." She regained her composure and tried to think rationally. The thought of leaving the Centre behind was tempting, very tempting, but she knew she was his only chance at surviving...right now. "I can help you. If I'm there, they can't get to you. Do you understand? I won't let them take you again." She looked at him, intensely. He could see she was struggling with her decision.

"I can't leave you there. Not even to help me. Amanda, this is wrong. They'll kill you if they knew. You know what they can do." Jarod took his hands in hers. "Don't die for this. Your mother wouldn't want you to. I don't want you to. Come with me, now. If we have to fight the Centre, I want to do it with you, not against you. I can't live with that."

"It's your only hope of staying out here and you know it. It's over, Jarod. Live your life, don't come back just disappear..." she looked at him and tears started again. "I know you can do it," she said fighting against them. "You're a pretender. Don't let them find you. Don't leave clues or call Sydney..." she turned away, slightly, "or talk to me. Let it go, all of it." She was crying now. Jarod turned her around and held her tightly. He felt the tears on his cheeks from his own eyes.

"I love you, please come with me." Jarod said, stroking her hair and pleading with her. "Please..."

She broke from the embrace and turned away, running toward the gate to the graveyard. Jarod ran after her out of the graveyard entrance. He stopped a few feet down the road and watched her as she got into the car and sped off...and out of his life, forever.

Charles watched his son as he turned back slowly toward the van and walked up to him. He had seen all of it and the pain he saw on Jarod's face was almost too much to bear. How dare she? He thought with anger. It has to stop. They have to stop hurting him. He said to himself as Jarod stood next to the van. Charles got out and went to his son.

Jarod started crying now, harder. He just let it come and slid down the van to the ground, putting his head in his hands.

"Come on Jarod. We have to go," his father said to him. "It's over."

Jarod looked up at his father with a pained expression on his face. He was lost, he didn't know where to go. Charles took his son's shoulders and helped him up, getting him into the van. Jarod stared out the window as Charles got in on the other side and started the van.

"I'm sorry, Jarod. I'm so sorry. I knew she would do this. That's why I didn't want you to come." He said, trying to sooth his son's breaking heart. "They're all the same," he said looking out at the road ahead.

"You're wrong," Jarod said, still staring out the window. "She did it to save me." Charles looked over at him. Jarod put his head back, took a deep breath and closed his eyes. All Jarod could see in those eyes was her, crying.

They drove in silence back to the cabin. The men were waiting for them.

"Hey, Charles. Everything go ok?" Greg asked coming up to him. Charles looked over at him and then watched Jarod get out the van and walk away from the group.

"He's going to need some time," Charles said. "I know we need to strike soon, but give him a few more days." Charles looked at Greg, he nodded.

"What happened out there?" Greg asked him as they went outside.

"The past," was all Charles said.


Parker walked into her office, quickly and shut the door. She leaned against it and closed her eyes.

"Are you all right, Parker?" She heard Sydney say.

"Sydney what are you doing here?" She walked to her desk and looked at Sydney.

"Waiting for you. Did he contact you?" Sydney asked quietly. "Is he all right?"

Parker looked away from Sydney and stared at the wall behind them.

"Miss Parker, is Jarod all right?"

She started to shake her no and then she stumbled a bit backwards. Sydney caught her to keep her from falling. "No, Sydney, I think," she started to cry. "I destroyed him." Parker said, trying to stop the tears.

"What do you mean?" Sydney looked at her with fear in his eyes. Oh my god, he thought to himself. Did she? Could she?

"I.." she started slowly. "He told me he loved me," she looked up at him like a little child waiting for approval. "I couldn't tell him, Sydney. I left him there and walked away." She shrugged her shoulders, still crying. " Just walked away and told him to disappear and to not contact any of us. I told him to let go." She looked down at her hands that Sydney was now holding.

"You did the right thing, Parker." He said looking at her. He knew how hard this must have been for both of them. "You saved him. Just like your mother saved all those children. You did it. She would have been proud of you."

Parker looked up at him the tears coming down her cheeks. "No, Sydney. She always told me to listen to my heart." She tried to pull back her tears, she breathed in quickly and let it out. "I love him. He needs me."

"Parker, there's nothing you could do. Jarod will be safe now. We can lead them in the wrong direction. They'll never find him." Sydney said looking at her. She turned away then looked back at him sharply.

"You don't understand. You didn't see his face. I destroyed him. Sydney," she took his hands tightly. "I broke his heart. I did it. Nothing the Centre did to him made him give up hope. I did that. If you saw his eyes," she started to cry. Sydney pulled her in, hugging her like a father to a daughter.

"It's all right. It will be all right," he said trying to comfort her. He knew exactly what she meant now.


Mr. Parker's Office

"You were right," Lyle said walking in. "Follow her and it will lead to him."

"You found Jarod," Mr. Parker walked up to his son.

"Yep and we know who he's with." He handed some pictures to Mr. Parker. He took them and looked at Jarod and his daughter, talking, then kissing, then her running away from him. The last photo was of Charles in a van.

"Charles," Mr. Parker said clenching his teeth. "I knew he'd come back someday."

"Well, we know where they are and my team's waiting on your order." Lyle said, smiling.

"Have them hold their position right now. Don't do anything. I have a matter to discuss with my daughter."

"It's clear she's working with him," Lyle said.

"You shouldn't be so quick to judge a photograph, Lyle. Your sister would never betray me." Mr. Parker looked at Lyle with anger. "She wouldn't dare," he said. Lyle smiled and walked out of the office.

Mr. Parker walked over to his phone and pushed the intercom.

"Bring my daughter up here," he said and shut it off, sitting down. He stared at the photo of Charles. "I get Jarod, just like I said in the beginning, Charles. I always have what he wants." He smiled and turned his chair to face the window, leaning back.



"Miss Parker," Broots said out of breath as he ran into her office. Sydney and Parker turned to look at him. "They're coming," he said quickly as three men charged into her office.

"Your father wants to see you, Miss Parker." One of them said walking to her and grabbing her arm.

She pulled away. "I know where my father's office is. I'll walk, thanks." She walked ahead of them. Broots and Sydney exchanged a look.

They escorted her to the office and almost pushed her inside. They stood behind her.

"Do we really need the escorts?" she said to her father as he turned in his chair. He smiled at Parker then nodded to the men. They hit her from behind the knees. She buckled and fell down. They took her to the chair waiting in the corner and sat her down, strapping her feet and hands.

"That's enough. Thank you," he said and dismissed them.

"What the hell is going on?" She screamed. Mr. Parker looked at her then walked over with a picture in his hand. He turned the picture so she could see it.

"Look familiar, angel." He said harshly. Parker started to feel afraid, she pushed her fears aside and stared at her father and away from the picture of her and Jarod. "Go on tell me the story of how you tried to bring Jarod in." He said looking at her.

She just stared at him, not saying anything.

"Oh, so you learned this game from Jarod, did you? Don't worry. You'll see him soon. We're bringing him and his little friends in tonight. So you'll have company." He looked at her, "but first I want to know what you know about him." Mr. Parker held the photo up of Charles so she could see it.

"I don't know who he is?" She said to him, looking away.

"Well let me tell you then. Your mother's killer." She looked up at him. "That's right, angel. Jarod's father. You let that maniac go while you were busy with his son." He shook his head. "It's a shame that you had to turn out so much like your mother. She listened too much to her heart and not enough to her head." He looked at her and Parker knew it was all over. The Centre was going to win. Why hadn't Jarod told her about him, she thought to herself. Why did his father come back so close to the Centre?

"Where is he?" She said, looking at her father. He turned to her. "Jarod's father. I want him dead for what he did."

"Oh, he will be. But first, I need to have a little talk with you." He looked at his daughter. "You need to help me so that the Centre won't think you betrayed them. That could be very dangerous...for both of us." He walked to the other end of the room and put his back to her. She struggled against the straps for a minute. "I want you to go with Lyle and bring Jarod in. I know you can do it, honey. After all, he loves you doesn't he?" He turned on Miss Parker, she looked up at him. "Doesn't he?" She looked away. "That's all right, I knew. I just didn't think you would fall for it. Well, I guess children can be disappointing."

He walked close to her and she turned to him, staring coldly at him.

"You will tell Jarod that you're helping him and that the Centre is trying to kill him. When you bring him through the woods, Lyle will be waiting."

"And then you'll kill me, right, Daddy?" She said, sarcastically. "Isn't that the way it works?"

"If I thought that you were trying to help him. I would be very upset, but you're just confused, aren't you?" He circled her a bit before going back to his seat. "So what do you think? It's a brilliant plan."

"One problem...:" she said looking at him.

"What's that?"

"I'm not your bait." She said, staring at him. Mr. Parker laughed.

"Yes you are, angel. Whether you do this voluntarily or not, is really not my concern. That's yours. If you do this and we bring Jarod in, you will prove to the Centre that you can be trusted. If you turn, however, that could be a problem." He buzzed the intercom. "All right you can come in."

The men walked back in, un-strapped her and let her go. They walked back out.

"It's your choice, angel."

She walked up to her father. "Don't ever call me that again," she said in his face. "You are lucky mother died. Because this little scene would have killed her, Daddy." She said angrily.

"Remember what I said." He called to her as she walked out. "It's your choice, just like your mother. "

"I am officially in hell, Mom," she said to herself as she walked down the hall.


END OF PART TWO











Chapter End Notes:

Keep going! Part Three is next!

Thanks for reading!