Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see Chapter sixteen

~~~~~~~

To End The Evil
Part 20


Let the games begin



Jarod walked confidently through the halls of the Oxford University.

His destination lay at the end of the corridor. He smoothed his tie down once again and straightened regally. Firmly closing his hand on the handle of his briefcase he purposefully walked up to the desk besides the office door.

“Can I help you?” The clerk asked politely.

“I hope so,“ Jarod answered. “Steve Taylor. I’ve got an appointment with Professor Rudd.”

The clerk took out the calendar and nodded curtly. He reached for the intercom and waited for his boss to answer.

“Sir, your two thirty is here,” he said.

“Show him in,“ a disembodied voice ordered.

The clerk got up from his seat and went over to the door to open it for Jarod.

Jarod nodded his thanks to the man and went into the office and at the same time into the role he had to personalize for the time to come.

An elderly distinguished looking man with slightly greyish hair stood up when he saw Jarod enter the room.

Jarod walked up to the man and shook the offered hand.

“Professor Rudd. It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’ve heard a lot about you,” Jarod addressed to the man.

“Mr. Taylor. Well, I wish I could say the same,” the Professor answered. “To be honest I’m confused. You were pretty vague this morning on the telephone when you asked for this meeting. The only thing you told me was that you wanted to talk to me about some documents that currently found their way into our possession.”

“That’s right, Professor,” Jarod answered.

“Please have a seat,” the professor offered and eased himself down opposite to Jarod.

“Well,” Jarod started. “I better start at the beginning.”

“That would be helpful, wouldn’t it,” the Professor chuckled.

Jarod smiled and nodded. “I am here on behalf of a big archaeology firm from Connecticut. I’m not sure if you are aware of it but about two years ago our firm was robbed. Several valuable things were stolen. Ever since then we have been searching for the items those were stolen. Until now we have managed to get at least some of them back. ”

“Yes, I remember the robbery. There was a big article about it in the newspapers. But I still can’t see, why you are here,“ the Professor frowned.

“I have reason to believe that some documents we are still searching for are in your hands. One of the items that were stolen from us were the Vespasian Scrolls,” Jarod said meaningful, looking the professor directly into the eye.

The Professor stared blankly at him. Jarod saw the recognition in his eyes. Professor Rudd knew what Jarod was referring to.

Swallowing hard, the Professor said, “Indeed these documents are in our care. How do you know about them? The article won’t be published until tomorrow.”

Jarod smiled slightly. “I have my sources. Professor, you surely understand that my employer likes to have the Scrolls back.”

“I sure understand that but you must also know that I can’t just hand the documents over to you. We are just starting to examine them,“ the Professor objected.

Jarod nodded. “I know that.”

“How do I even know that these Scrolls were in your firm or if you are a member of the firm?” Professor Rudd asked somewhat desperately, not wanting to let the treasure slip through his hands.

“You might want to contact the firm and make some inquiries about the stolen objects and me,” Jarod suggested and shoved a card over to the man. Up to now everything was going just as he had planned. The dangerous part came now. He had faith in his plan but it wasn’t foul proof.

The Professor looked at the card and reached for his telephone.

Jarod silently drew a deep breath and briefly closed his eyes.

“I want to talk to your chairman… Yes, it is urgent… Yes, I’ll wait,“ Professor Rudd looked up at Jarod who calmly returned his gaze.

They fell into an uneasy silence while waiting for the chairman to pick up the call.

When the call was answered the Professor put it on loud speaker so Jarod was able to follow the conversation. Jarod silently thanked his fate. The fact that he could hear both ends of the conversation gave him some security. In a worst case scenario he would have a head start to get out of here.

He forced himself to relax when that thought crossed his mind. He had to appear calm and in control of the situation not tensed and fearful.

“Thomas Harper speaking,” the chairman answered.

“Mr. Harper. This is Professor Rudd from the Oxford University.”

“Professor. What do I own the pleasure to receive your call?” the chairman asked politely.

“Well I have a Steve Taylor in my office as we speak. He claims to be one of your employees and is asking me to hand some ancient documents to him. He says they are part of the loot you lost two years ago due to a robbery,” Professor Rudd explained, all the while observing Jarod rather closely.

“Well, we do still search for some items and at the moment there are several agents of our firm trying to get them back. These agents aren’t directly under my orders. We have several departments responsible for different items. I will have to look it up in the database. What did you say the agents name was?” Harper asked again.

“Taylor, Steve Taylor,“ Professor Rudd repeated.

After a few seconds Mr. Harper answered, “Yes, we do have a Steve Taylor. He works for the department of ancient documents. What exactly did he want you to hand over? I will look it p as well.”

By now, Jarod had a hard time to keep form smiling openly. He relaxed in his seat. Everything was going according to plan. The only weak point in his plan had just passed.

Jarod had inserted the name he would use and the “stolen” Scrolls into the firm’s database. His only apprehension had been that the chairman, Thomas Harper, knew his employees and would be suspicious when he found a name he didn’t recognize. Luckily, his fears didn’t come true.

“He asked for ancient documents called the Vespasian Scrolls,“ the Professor responded.

Over the phone one could hear the chairman typing on his keyboard. “Yes,“ he said. “Those were part of our loss two years ago. “

“Thank you,“ the professor responded sadly, looking down.

“Could you please hand the documents over to Mr. Taylor so he can bring them back to us, as soon as possible?” the chairman demanded.

“I will do that at once. I’m sorry I stole some of your precious time but you certainly understand that I wanted to make sure,” the professor explained.

“Of course. I appreciate your concern! These are valuable items we are talking about.”

“Yes, they are. Thanks once again and have a good day,” the Professor greeted.

“I wish you the same,“ Chairman Harper retorted.

Terminating the call Professor Rudd looked up. “Well, I think we better go so I can give you the Scrolls,“ he said.

Smiling slightly, Jarod nodded and stood up.

~~~~~~~

He walked out of the building that was the Oxford University with the Vespasian Scrolls securely stowed away in his briefcase.

There had been a grim sadness in the lab when the scientists handed him the documents.

Though no one had been suspicious, Jarod hurried down the street and was quickly lost in the stream of people.

When he reached the car, he closed his eyes briefly and breathed a sigh of relief. Only now he let himself relax and soon he felt the exertion fall away.

He started his car and drove back to London.



To be continued…