Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: We all know who owns 'em, and it certainly isn't me. Also, I have to apologize to KB and Danielle :-) for this - I just couldn't resist. I'm coming down off a stress high (flute recital today...), so I'm in a bit of a strange mood....


Pretender Payback
PART 5: Light Series
by KB


Jarod had sat for several moments in silence while the others discussed what form their story should take. Miss Parker, noticing, glanced over at him.

‘‘What is it?’‘

‘‘I’m worried.’‘

‘‘Why?’‘

‘‘Well, I just realised that Susan, you know, who’s writing this, is, well... one of THEM.’‘ He bounded to his feet. ‘‘That could mean... ’‘

‘‘Oh, my God!’‘

Brigitte threw out her arm as Jarod, suspecting what would come next, ran from the table, bent almost double, even as the familiar dimming of the lights began. However he was a little too slow and he found himself spraw led on the ground (you didn’t know Brigitte was that strong, did you?). Seconds later, however, he felt the grip in his jacket loosen and he looked back to see Brigitte, herself prone on the floor, struggling to free her hand from where it was pinned under the dome.

With a yell of triumph, and ignoring the increasing darkness, he grabbed his jacket and, pulling it on while laughing over his shoulder at Miss Parker’s mother-in-law, tried to leave. He tripped over a foot which someone had carelessly left on the floor and fell into a group of arms, outstretched to catch him. They grabbed him and one writer (really Susan!) began to run her hand down his chest and into... oops, sorry. I said pg 15 didn’t I? Ok... um... his pocket. Pulling out all of the tags which he carried there, she threw them up into the air and, like a group of single women at the throwing of the bouquet, writers, male and female, ran forward to grab them. Despite Jarod’s struggles, he was unable to escape and, eventually, stood sullenly amid h is captors.

Brigitte, meanwhile, continued to shriek and eventually began to froth around the mouth. Using this (gross, huh?) she managed to slide her hand free and stood, wringing it and complaining for several seconds until her realised that it was actually not painful. In confusion she looked at her tormenters.

‘‘Huh?’‘

‘‘That’s the most intelligent remark I’ve ever heard you make,’‘ muttered Jarod.

‘‘‘Huh’ what?’‘

‘‘Well, why doesn’t it hurt?’‘

‘‘Oh, there are only a few things that we can do which will actually hurt you guys.’‘

‘‘Such as?’‘

‘‘Shooting.’‘ Raines glared angrily at Sydney while Miss Parker glowered at Raines and Jarod scowled at Lyle until her realised that Kyle was not in the room, when he calmed down.

‘‘Pregnancy.’‘

Brigitte frowned at Mr Parker while Miss Parker glowered at Jarod.

‘‘Bondage.’‘

Jarod scowled back.

‘‘Getting your thumb stuck in a tap.’‘

Jarod looked thoughtful but Mandy turned and smiled sweetly. ‘‘You’ve done it, Jarod, and it hurt. Remember? The hammer was painful too.’‘

‘‘And, of course, diseases like cancer.’‘
KB’s face brightened and she immediately turned to the computer which magically appeared outside the dome, where she typed busily and took no further notice of anyone. (Yes, it’s done. It’s called ‘‘A New Pretender’‘.)

The group muttered a little as the writers fell silent. Finally Lyle spok e.

‘‘Okay, so if you all like us so much, what’s the deal with us getting hurt all the time.’‘

The group was unable to restrain themselves and several were actually gasping on the ground by the time the sounds decreased. Danielle : ) was crowing with laughter, tears streaming down her face, and leaning against Gena, who was in an equally bad state. Finally the noise got through to K B.

The question having been repeated, she smiled sweetly at the people in the dome. ‘‘Because we enjoy it. You see, one of the great things about what we do is the element of total control.’‘ She stepped forward and, her eyes onthe same level as Miss Parker, despite the three inch stilettos, looked herin the eye.

‘‘We even have more control than you. And we like to make the most of it.’‘

At this point several writers were seen crawling away so that they could try and regain their composure. They knew that it was only a matter of time before they were needed again and, in most cases, they really needed some time out. Brigitte took advantage of the few moments to ask something which had been annoying her for some time.

‘‘Why is there so much prejudice against me having a child?’‘ She took her husband’s arm. ‘‘Especially his child.‘‘

Her sickly sweet smile made Miss Parker gag, but she realised that she wasn’t alone in her feelings of nausea.

Slowly the group began to withdraw as another session drew to a close. However a voice could still be heard as the writers vanished into theshadows.

‘‘Don’t forget that no matter what you do to us in your stories, we still have the final say. We have complete control.’‘