Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Two Faces
Part 1



The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
9am May 11, 2000

"So you understand the situations, Miss...?"

"Please, call me Stephanie."

"That, as we understand it, is not your birth name."

A smile broke through the previously expressionless face. "It is the name that I adopted when I entered the services. Also, from what I have read, it is perhaps better if I do not use my given name here."

The figure seated in the middle of the three also smiled. "That is perfectly understandable. You have done your research well."

"I considered it necessary."

"And you're right. It is. Your task is pivotal to the success of our plans and we cannot afford to have it fail."

"I will do my utmost to ensure that it does not."

"Your utmost, judging by your record, is excellent."

The head, held by the slender neck, inclined itself slightly. "I allow my record to speak for itself."

The man closed the slender folder and placed his folded hands on top of it. The figure to his right spoke for the first time during the interview. "You were recommended to us and we have seen you in action. You are well known for your reticence and your common sense. This is why we trust you with this task. You will be our assistant and will complete your given tasks to the best of your abilities. Meaning, you will succeed. You must succeed. You have no alternative."

The woman bowed her head briefly in acquiescence and then raised it, looking each of the figures firmly in the eye. "Failure is out of the question. I will succeed or die in the attempt. I realize that if I do not succeed, I will have no second chances."

The first figure spoke again. "You understand us well. We shall work well together. You may begin."

The woman rose from her seat and was about to exit the room, when the third figure spoke. "Good luck. You will need it."

Stephanie turned and faced them again. "I do not believe in luck. I believe in results."

She was walking down the hallway when she heard the footsteps hurrying behind her. Mr Lyle was the only figure whose height and weight would result in such sounds, she figured silently and rapidly.

Christened Bobby Bowman after being taken from his natural parents and handed over to adoptive parents.

Mr Lyle.

Forty years, six months and nineteen days old.

A psychopathic mass-murderer.

A former resident of Nebraska and now living at 23504 Blythe Street, Blue Cove, Delaware.

Worked at virtually every level of the Centre, except for the highest, and also involved in most projects conducted under Raines guidance.

Of course, there was also his thing for Asian women. And this was another reason for her use in the project - her appearance. It would be sorely tempting and she knew that he would be fawning on her as soon as possible. This wasn't the response she wanted from him, though. The response, she had decided as she had first read his file, that would be required from him was respect. And she knew the best way to get it.

He came up beside her and, as she knew he would, walked slightly in front of her so that she was forced to stop when he did.

"I believe that you're the new member of the team. Allow me to welcome you. My name is Mr Lyle." She watched his as his eyes ran over her slender figure in its figure-hugging, oriental-style dress. She could almost see him drooling and had to remind herself to show no expression. It took several seconds before he seemed able to speak.

"And you are?"

"My name is Stephanie."

"Such an American name?"

"I took it on when I moved here, several years ago."

"And you're the one who's going to help us catch Jarod?"

"So I was informed when I was employed here."

"Not exactly a job for a lady."

"But you already have a lady working on the team, I understand. Miss...Parker?"

She watched Lyle's face darken at the mention of his twin sister. She ran through the information she had on the woman.

The only daughter of Mr Parker and Catherine Parker.

Also forty years, six months and nineteen days old.

Currently living in the home that her father had given to her upon her graduation, Briar Road, Blue Cove, Delaware.

A past Cleaner in the Centre and then moved to Corporate and brought back to return Jarod to the Centre.

Spent time studying in Japan and had a brief affair with Tommy Tanaka, now a powerful man in the Japanese Yakuza.

She had also had an affair with Thomas Gates, who had been killed more than a year earlier.

An adept pupil of the art of fencing and also a person who fought hard to keep their emotions under wraps.

A person who would resent Stephanie's position and would try to make life as difficult as possible. From this person, too, the newcomer would require respect but also something more. Perhaps...friendship?

As she waited, Mr Lyle recovered from the feelings her last comment had caused and began to walk beside her, slipping one arm around her shoulders. She could feel the four fingers as they kneaded her shoulder in a way that was less than pleasant. He looked down at her.

"So where are you from?"

She controlled her anger and planned her next move. "I am half-Asian, Mr. Lyle."

"Really, what's the other half?"

Reaching up, she covered his hand with her own and, grasping it firmly, she spun him around until they were face to face. While he was still trying to recover from the dizziness her actions had caused, she moved in closer and brought one knee up, hard, into his groin. Then she brought the other hand down on the back of his neck, making him drop to the ground with a moan. She picked up his head in her two hands and pinched his chin between her thumb and forefinger, where they would leave clear bruises.

"Half-Asian and half black-belt Karate, Mr Lyle."

She stepped back and watched as he rubbed his jaw with one hand. Mistrusting as always, she watched him closely, as she had been taught. Her training paid off and Lyle could only stare, open-mouthed, as the gun, which he had just begun to draw, flew from his hand and landed in hers. It took several seconds for him to realize that his hand was stinging from where her foot had slapped it and he hesitantly half-raised both hands above his head as she aimed his gun at him.

"All you had to do was ask, *Mr* Lyle," she emphasized carefully. "But try it again and I'll shoot your head off." She glanced at his thumbless hand. "Or maybe just your other thumb." She thrust the gun into the empty holster that she was temporarily wearing and spun on her heel, walking away. One look at Mr Lyle's eyes when he had seen her holding his gun and she knew that she had won. Respect it would be, from him at least. She had made sure of that.

When she entered her office, the light on her phone was already flashing and she knew immediately who it would be as she answered the call.

"It's me."

"When we gave you the job, we did not intend that you beat our employees to a pulp."

"I know that, sir. But with Lyle it was a calculated risk. He is a calculated risk and I had to be sure that he and I understood each other."

"Well, you certainly made certain of that."

"I had to, sir."

"Yes, yes. I can see how you would feel that way. Well, do try to be a little nicer to our other employees. You don’t want to put them all off-side."

She smiled. "I was under the impression that it was part of the plan, sir."

There was an instant of silence on the other end, followed by a deep, throaty laugh "All right, Miss Stephanie. You play the game your own way. We will be your audience."

"I will try not to disappoint, sir."

"You are very entertaining, Miss Stephanie. Do go on."

"Thank-you sir." He cut the connection and she sat down in the chair behind the desk. Entertaining. It was not the first time that someone had used that word and, always assuming that she succeeded in her task, it wouldn't be the last. She did her work as much to entertain as to be effective. Entertainment could also be construed as distraction, and she was very, *very* good at distraction.

Stevenson's Falls, Delaware
6:30pm May 11, 2000

"I'm home."

"Thank God!" The male figure appeared in the hallway as Stephanie dropped her bags and picked up the little girl who had run into the room and hugged her legs. She looked at the man who stood, holding a wriggling toddler in his arms. "Neither of these two was going anywhere near bed until their Mommy got home."

"And I suppose their Daddy wouldn't either."

He smiled and wrapped an arm around her waist. He always knew exactly what made her feel best and, right now, it was exactly what she needed.

He ignored her statement and, as was his wont, asked his own question. "Hard day?"

"You could say that."

"First days usually are."

"This one was unusually tough."

"Mommy, story!"

"Okay, okay. What say we give Mommy five minutes to catch her breath and then maybe you can get a story."

"You go and pick one out, Clare. And take Jeremy with you."

The two children disappeared into a nearby room and Stephanie leaned her head on his shoulder as they went down the hallway to the living room.

"How was your day?"

"Relatively simple. At least, compared to the last week or so."

"You mean that case down in Arizona?"

"Yeah."

"Look on the bright side. At least you managed to get it solved in time to be home today, with the kids."

"And the peace and quiet here was so affluent as to be non-existent!"

"Why do you think I'm so keen to get back to work?"

He laughed and pulled her a little closer. "Dinner?"

"Mmm, as long as it's not Cup O'Soup."

"Oh, I promise. Proper cooking."

"And none of that ex-Centre food either. Meat and three vegetables, like every other family in America."

He laughed. "I was thinking maybe something Asian."

"And the last time you attempted Asian, we had to buy it from the local take-away."

"But I've been reading about it since then, and now I know where I went wrong."

"I hope so. I hate soggy rice." She stood up and stretched.

"Where are you going?"

"To read the kids and story, and then back to the kitchen to enjoy my take-away dinner."

He stuck his tongue out at her and continued his preparations.

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
9am May 12, 2000

The group sitting around the table was quiet, with only murmured conversations occurring between one or two of them. Stephanie remained silent, using her heightened senses to detect snippets of conversation. Raines and Willie were discussing the possibility of removing Cox from the picture, Mr Parker and Lyle were talking about the chances they and others had of being put in charge of the pursuit of Jarod and Miss Parker, Sydney and Broots were talking about the latest present that Jarod had sent them that morning. She had seen it herself. It was a deck of cards. But it was the note that she thought was so beautiful. 'Time for a reshuffle?' was what it had said and the three were discussing how he knew what was planned. She could have told them, but she preferred not to.

The conversations died as a figure entered the room and walked up to the head of the long boardroom table.

"We are, as you know, planning a new approach in the attempts to recapture Jarod and return him to the Centre. This has, of course, now been extended to his father and the clone, both of whom can play important roles in the current situation. After a great deal of discussion, the Triumvirate has reached a decision. To ensure that the approaches used are completely new, a new figure will headline the search. For this reason, our newest member has been chosen to fill this position."

"But..." Stephanie didn't even need to turn around to know that it was Miss Parker who was objecting. Only Miss Parker would have been able to find the words at such a moment.

"Yes?" The man, his eyes cold, looked over at the woman.

"She knows nothing about the pursuit..."

"You are to fill her in on any details that she may have missed."

"And she doesn't know Jarod..."

"All the more reason. It is suspected that you are *all* becoming emotionally involved. As Stephanie has been brought into the Centre and has all of the natural abilities that seem to be perfect for such a position, it has been decided that she is to take it. She will make all decisions and she will be responsible for liaising with me about the progress. You will all take her orders and carry them out completely. The Triumvirate is intending that you all do so and you have all had experiences where this has not been the case. I'm sure none of you want a repeat performance of your last visit."

Stephanie watched as the tension in the room dissolved slightly when the figure left. She turned in time to see Lyle's eyes slide away from her face, as they often did. It was almost gratifying to her that it had only taken one lesson for him to learn. And he wouldn't be eager for her to remind him of yesterday's events.

"Congratulations." Stephanie turned in time to see a sneer flicker over Miss Parker's face as she leant across Broots and offered her hand. "May you have more luck than others of us have had."

"I thank you," Stephanie remembered to use the slightly stilted tones she had adopted for use at the Centre, although her accent was pure American at home. "I would ask you, Dr. Sydney and Mr. Broots to come to my office in half an hour so that we can discuss previous policies and see the best plans."

"How grateful even to get a look-in."

"You know Jarod. Perhaps a little too well to remain completely objective, but that is the reason for my employment in this field. With your help, I have no doubt that Jarod can be found and brought back."

"Well, I hope you don't fail..."

Stephanie made her eyes steely and saw the difficulty Miss Parker had in maintaining eye contact.

"I never fail, Miss Parker. Never."

#####

"So you wait until you get a sighting of Jarod, or one of your many connections reports a man with dark hair and a taste for black leather before you even do anything? Tell me something," having formerly been sitting in her chair with her hands clasped behind her head and her legs up on her desk, Stephanie sat upright and folded her hands together on top of the desk. "How many days out of an average year are you actually *out* of the Centre?"

She could see Broots nervously twitching in his chair and could sense the anger boiling up in Miss Parker. However the question had been directed at Sydney and she waited for him to answer it.

"With respect, Miss..."

"Stephanie."

"...Stephanie, Jarod is not exactly an easy man to find. His abilities at blending into a situation make this task more difficult than it would otherwise have been."

"But you, Doctor, have been face to face with your former subject on more than a dozen occasions over the four years since his escape and on none of those occasions have you made any attempt at preventing him from leaving. Tell me," she leaned back slightly, feeling that he was beginning to boil, "have you ever been taught the difference between proactive and reactive behaviour?"

"With all due respect, that is hardly fair."

"It is perfectly fair!" She slammed one fist down on the desk and watched out of the corner of her eye as Broots rose several inches in his chair. "With all of your resources and capabilities, you have been unable to find one man in four years. He has managed to remain in constant contact with all three of you over that time, even to the extent of being in your homes, and yet he is still on the loose and in the wild."

"Jarod is not an animal!" Stephanie watched as Sydney finally allowed the anger in him to explode at her and she got exactly the reaction she was waiting for.

"Well, that is what the Triumvirate considers him to be, and you three have failed in your efforts to recapture him." She sat back in the chair and looked hard at all three of them. "You, Mr Broots, will make me a comprehensive list of the places that Jarod has visited and what his occupation in those places was. I want it on my desk by nine o'clock Monday morning. You, Miss Parker with write me a detailed report on all 'presents', including the one you received this morning, and all significance of such items."

"How did you...?"

"It is my job to know. And you, Dr Sydney, will detail for me every sim that Jarod performed under your care and the respective dates. This, too, will be due on Monday."

"But that's..."

"Tuesday, then. With attitudes like this, it is no wonder that Jarod is still running around out there. You may go."

"But..."

"I said go. I have other people to interview and I cannot waste all morning discussing this with you."

Stevenson's Falls, Delaware
7pm May 12, 2000

"Hello? Anyone home?" She walked into the house and dropped her bags in the hallway as she went into the kitchen. On the table, where she could not miss it, was a note.

Sorry, I had to go. Business trip. The leftovers from last night's take-away are in the fridge and the kids are at your mom's. She's volunteered to look after them all night. Back tomorrow (hopefully).

Love Me.


Stephanie rolled her eyes and muttered something under her breath. She knew that he could be anywhere and that she might not see him for weeks. Out of habit, she allowed her gaze to wander over the bench and spotted the small piece of paper sticking out from under a book. One word, one name, but it told her enough and she leant back against the counter, giggling quietly. So he was taking a vacation. She shrugged slightly and returned the paper to where she had found it. He would come back. He always did. And then she could tell him.

It was a shame, though, that he wasn't there because she could have used his help in trying to understand some of the information which she had found that day, about a project named 'Mirage'. Other than knowing that Catherine Parker and Major Charles were both involved, she had little else to go on.

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
9:30am May 15, 2000

Stephanie looked down at the red folders on her desk, all bearing the Centre logo, and was tempted to sweep the lot into the bin. She really didn't have the time or the inclination to go through everything that was sitting on her desk and, besides, she already knew it all. So, really, it was a waste of time and she had only ordered it so that they would feel included. She sighed and rubbed the back of her neck with one hand. She had been lonely all weekend, as he hadn't come back. And, she had to admit to herself, she was worried. Particularly since Miss Parker had failed to turn up for work that morning. Stephanie stood up and shrugged herself into her jacket, purposefully ignoring the folders, and left her office, slamming the door.

"Sydney?"

The aging psychiatrist looked up from the reports he was writing. No doubt more scientific experimentation, Stephanie reflected ruefully. "Yes?"

"For where was Miss Parker headed?"

"I have no idea." He smiled slightly and Stephanie thought that, whatever else had happened over the weekend, he was certainly happier than he had been. As she was considering a response, her cell-phone rang. She listened to the male voice on the end for a few seconds before hanging up.

"Mr Broots! Sam!"

The older man turned at the tone of her voice. "What? What is it?"

"Get your coat, Sydney. We are going to DC."

The Centre Jet
10:30am May 15, 2000

"What's this all about?"

Stephanie looked up from the paper which one of the sweepers had handed it to her and focused on Sydney's face.

"I received a call from the Tower. They believe that Jarod and Miss Parker will attempt to rescue one of Raines' projects - one, Doctor, about which I believe you are well informed and of which you failed to inform me." She eyed Sydney, who avoided her gaze. "It is fortunate for me that I have other ways of finding out information."

"And w...why isn't Lyle here - with us?"

Stephanie glanced over at Broots. "He is being... detained. The Tower has some things that they wish to discuss with both Mr Lyle and Mr Parker. I do not know when you will see them again, if ever. There are some parts of their behaviour which are of... concern to the Triumvirate."

Broots muttered something and Stephanie returned to reading the document. It detailed the finer points of the Mirage project, as well as some other points about its result - Ethan.

"Doctor, how do you believe Miss Parker would act if she found that her brother was in danger?"

"Who are you referring to?"

"Please, do not play games. You know that I do not speak of Mr Lyle."

"I believe...that she would make every effort to save him, even if it endangered her own life."

"And Jarod?"

"The same."

"As I thought."

Stephanie nodded and picked up the phone on the wall of the plane.

"How long until we land?"

"About ten minutes, ma'am."

"Good."

Stephanie pulled a plan of the subway out of her pocket and spread it on the table between the seats.

"Sam, will you come here?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"This is our aim - the subway. And this line, under Freedom Station, is where the bomb is intended to explode. I believe that Jarod, if he has time, will divert the train along this line, into the maintenance yard. There are two exits - here and here. Your team will divide up and guard these two entrances while you accompany the three of us into the tunnel itself, to deal with the things we may find there."

"Very good."

"We're going into a tunnel...with a bomb?"

Stephanie glanced over at Broots and there was a hint of a smile on her face. "Would you rather that Miss Parker was injured and we left her there?"

"Well...no...I guess..."

Stephanie folded up the map and placed it into the hand of the sweeper. "Please explain this to the rest of your team - and make sure that they maintain radio contact at all time with us." He turned away. "Oh, and Sam?"

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Ensure that at each exit you have a person skilled in first aid. If we have more than two casualties, the doctor and I may need assistance."

"Of course."

He turned to the back of the jet and Stephanie watched out of the corner of her eye as Sydney and Broots exchanged worried glances.

Entrance to Subway
Washington DC
10:55am May 15, 2000

Stephanie pulled her searchers lamp out of the bag that she carried on her back and strapped it to her helmet. The beam of light shone through into the darkness and she watched as Sam, Sydney and Broots followed suit. She knew exactly where the bomb was due to explode - the Triumvirate had passed that information on - but she had to feign a little lack of knowledge. It was too soon for them to know about her connections.

There was still approximately seven minutes until the bomb would actually go off and, in that time, the four of them would have a good chance of being in the best position. As the light behind them began to fade, she could feel Broots beginning to tense. After a short time, she halted and turned to the group, counting down the seconds in her mind. She had half-run for several minutes, and the light behind was completely gone, before she halted.

"We need to go along here. About fifty yards away is Freedom Station, where the bomb is intended to explode."

She led the group along the lines, stopping occasionally to feel the track. Once she felt a slight tremor but it was insufficient for a train traveling at the speed of the 7677. Finally, though, the rails began to vibrate violently. She ran forward and tucked herself behind the tunnel wall which led to the Freedom station and where the line branched off to the maintenance yard. She felt the three men follow her and she watched as the train hurtled past them, off the line leading to the Station and down the other, dark tunnel. Stephanie grabbed Broots, who cowered beside her, by the shoulder and jerked him around the wall of the tunnel and into the darkened path that led to the station. She watched as Sydney, having frozen at the sight, quickly glimpsed, of the three characters in the carriage, was pulled around by Sam. The four crouched low behind the protective wall and Stephanie counted down the remaining seconds in her mind. She just reached zero and suddenly the tunnel was full of a brilliant light, which blinded them all for several seconds. She ducked behind the brick wall as shrapnel flew through the air and she blinked as the wall in front of her was hit and a small piece of brick chipped off and then came the bittersweet taste of blood running down from her forehead. There was no time then, though, to worry about it and she and the others ran towards the source of the explosion.

The scene was frightening from the first. The train lay in a twisted heap, blocking the entrance to the tunnel. There was only one possible exit and that was a long way around, through a series of passages. She had to hope that they could manage, because there was no chance of anyone getting to them for some time. The maps with which the city supplied the emergency crews showed no way through to where they were except by the path that was now blocked by the wreck of the train. Stephanie cleared the thoughts from her mind and focused on the task ahead. The hope of finding anyone alive that close to the explosion was slim and they were all aware of the fact. She knew, too, that the small camera installed in her hard hat was showing the Triumvirate everything that she saw herself and the small earpiece meant that they could give her directions.

"Start looking under the piles of rubble. From the shrapnel we had, it is likely they will be buried."

She was about to turn away when Sydney grabbed her arm, and she knew, from the expression on his face, that he was contemplating the deaths of all three.

"Will they be alive?"

"We will not know until we find them, Doctor."

She emphasized the words and saw that the blunt expression worked towards calming him slightly. He nodded and turned back to his task.

After ten minutes, Stephanie had moved slightly away from the others and her light was hidden by a pile of rubble when she found what she was searching for. She pulled out a key and slipped it into the lock. One turn and the well-maintained door opened silently. A glimpse through it, using the light from her hat to illuminate what the failed electricity could not, showed her the blood marks that she was anticipating. Certainly one, if not two, people had slipped through this door and vanished.

"Who were they?" she heard the voice in her ear demand.

"Judging by the footprints, Jarod and Ethan."

"Sure?"

"As sure as I can be. Neither of these marks shows any sort of heel and the bare print here is too big for Miss Parker. She is presumably still in here."

"Then find her."

"We will, sir." Stephanie allowed the door to silently swing closed behind her as she stepped back into the tunnel. With her eyes, she followed the faint blood trail from the door and back across the ground. Two larger pools showed where they had fallen when jumping from the train and she wondered who had remained conscious enough to help the other out. Only a short distance away, she saw a hand projecting out from under some rubble.

"Sydney! Sam! Over here!"

The three men scrambled towards her but, at the sight of the hand, Broots went rapidly from pale to green and she shoved him away. "If you cannot deal with this, leave it to those who can." Reaching down, she slipped her fingers under the slab and nodded to Sam, who had done the same. "Ready? Up."

They lifted the slab, which, fortunately, was not preventing any other material from falling. Sydney grabbed Miss Parker by her wrists and hauled her out from under the perilous structure, which Sam and Stephanie released as soon as they could.

She was unconscious, Stephanie noticed, and there were several nasty cuts on her face but she was definitely alive and she came around very quickly.

"Parker?"

Stephanie watched as the other woman moaned and ran a tongue over her dusty lips. Taking a handkerchief from her pocket, Stephanie unclipped the water bottle from her hip-pouch and dampened the cloth before handing it to Sydney. The doctor gently wiped away the dust as Miss Parker's eyes fluttered open. She struggled to an upright position, despite Sydney's protests.

"What's going on?"

"There was a bomb on the train, Parker. Do you remember?"

"A...a bomb?" She closed her eyes briefly before opening them to reveal the panic in them. "But Jarod...Ethan...?"

"We...haven't found them yet, Parker." Sydney tried to disguise the worry in his voice.

"I hate to interrupt," Stephanie spoke up, "but a train is due to run on the adjacent line in about two minutes and it is probable that there will be more damage. Miss Parker, can you walk?"

In response, while the men were still shocked by Stephanie's statement, Miss Parker reached up and used the other woman's hand to pull herself to her feet. She swayed a little but steadied herself enough to be able to use Sam's shoulder as a support before looking at the pile of twisted metal in front of her.

"How do we get out?"

Stephanie led the way towards the concealed door and opened it. She stepped back to allow the others through but Sydney stopped beside her.

"What about Jarod and Ethan?"

Stephanie looked back into the tunnel wordlessly, as a noise from nearby indicated that the train she had predicted was passing. As the noise increased, a rain of concrete from the damaged ceiling of the tunnel began to fall and the two figures in the doorway flinched as the roof itself began to cave in.

"Sydney, we have to leave. This is not safe."

"But...Jarod..."

Stephanie put one hand on his shoulder. "I am sorry, Sydney. But there is nothing we can do now."
She placed one hand on his arm and, while shutting out the devastation, pulled him away from the door and up the first few stairs. Behind them, the destruction of the tunnel continued as the rescue crew arrived and began to try and access the train.

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
12 noon May 15, 2000

Stephanie winced slightly and inhaled sharply as she dabbed at the cut on her head with a damp cloth and wiped away the blood. It was fortunate, she thought ruefully, that none of the others had been injured. Even Miss Parker had, miraculously, avoided any serious injury. Stephanie glanced at herself in the mirror briefly again before going into the bathroom attached to her office and wringing out the cloth. The bloodstains on her top, she knew, would wash out with a bit of cold water but she just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't bleed again so she put a small plaster over the cut and hoped for the best.

Coming out of the office, she saw a note on the table and the recognized the handwriting immediately. Take the rest of the day off. Well, that was nice of them and certainly something worth thinking about. She was in the middle of tossing the files from her desk into her bag when a knock at the door interrupted her.

"Come in."

"I'd like a word."

"Sydney - I was just about to go home."

"It won't take long."

"All right." She indicated a chair, hoping that someone from the Triumvirate was listening, whatever the outcome. "What can I do for you?"

She watched, somewhat warily, as he sat down in the chair with a slight sigh that betrayed his weariness. Then he scrutinized her closely. It was all she could do to prevent her glance from slipping away.

"They didn't make it out, did they?"

"I do not believe that they could have done."

"But if Miss Parker..."

"She was out before the second collapse, Sydney. As far as we know, Jarod and Mir...Ethan were still inside."

"How did you know what would happen on the train?"

"I did not. But I was told the small amount of information that Mr. Parker had learnt when he questioned Mr Raines, before his death."

"Raines...dead?"

"So I have been led to believe. It seems that Miss Parker..."

"Shot him?" Stephanie could almost see Sydney reeling at the thought.

"If you would let me finish," she smiled as Sydney reddened slightly. "No, it would seem that she was asking Mr Raines some questions when he was shot by the Chairman. At least, that is what the DSA records show."

"You have seen them already?"

"They were left on my desk for me to view, as an explanation as to why Mr Lyle will no longer be working with us. The Triumvirate apparently suspect that he and the Chairman were involved in a plan to wrest control away from the Triumvirate which, naturally, has made them rather upset."

"But...you knew...?"

"I knew some of what happened. Naturally, and following your answers to my questions, I assumed that Jarod and Miss Parker would both make some attempt to contact Ethan once they became aware of his location. This is not brain surgery, doctor. It is merely logical thinking."

Sydney glanced at her as her tones became increasingly sharper towards the end of her statement. "Are you all right?"

"I am fine. I will be a lot better when I can get home and relax a little. Chasing one man is a job I can handle but I do not enjoy dancing around a bomb. It was never part of my intended career."

Sydney smiled and stood up. "I can well believe it, but Jarod is a time-bomb waiting to go off, so perhaps it's better to have the practice now." He nodded and left the room. Stephanie had smiled in response to his statement but, as he left, the smile slipped from her face and left her wearing a worried expression.

Stevenson's Falls, Delaware
12:30pm May 15, 2000

Stephanie slipped the key out of the lock with a sigh and slammed the door behind her with her foot. In her arms, she carried a pile of red folders and, among them, lay one black one that she had found on the seat that Sydney had occupied during their brief discussion. Somehow, it wouldn't be impossible to guess what it contained, although where he had obtained it was anyone's guess. What astounded her more was that the Triumvirate had no knowledge about its contents and it had been left to her to uncover its secrets. Stephanie walked into her bedroom and dropped the lot onto her desk, sighing with relief as she did so. She could guess why they were leaving it to her. It made her the prime target for any sort of attempted assassination from anyone who may have been incriminated. But she already knew more than was good for her.

She walked into the kitchen and flicked on the electric kettle. The kids would be dropped off by their grandparents within the hour, as she had called them from the Centre before leaving. Apparently they had to wait for a cake to cool before they could leave, which suited Stephanie perfectly. It gave her the time that she needed to think about what had happened that morning. Until then, she hadn't really had time to absorb it, but now, as she waited for the kettle, the truth hit her. Two men, probably both injured, and on the run from the Centre. A potentially dangerous combination and she could make a good guess about where they would head for.