Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Some of A Kind
Part 3: Jarod

A Pretender Fan Fic by Mareen


The moment I realise what Kyle is up to, I feel as if something dies inside of me.

Just the feeling of her being hurt....

I know what my brother is capable of.

I`ve never talked to him about it. But I know.

Terrible things.

And if he`s done these things to her....

I've never met someone as strong as her. So hard. So very strong.

Miss Parker, the Ice Queen. At least the Miss Parker that exists today.

But her body is so small, so fragile.

Sometimes, the need to hold her, to protect her, is so overwhelming, that I have to fight it down with all the strength I have. She would laugh at me if she would know about it.

But the fear is always there.

When we were in that Bank and this man tried to hit her ... I know she didn't want me to protect her.

I *know* she can take care of herself.

But she looks so fragile.

I could put one of my arms all around her waist. I could let her vanish in my embrace.

So fragile.

And Kyle can be so merciless.


When I reach them, I nearly close my eyes out of relief. He hasn't started yet.
She was there. Still alive. Only bound. Her mouth shut.

She`s trying to look cool as always, but I can see the fear in her eyes. And she would never admit it, but she even has an expression of relief in her eyes, too, when she sees me.

"Kyle!" I say.

If I just can make him listen to me. Make him understand that what he`s about to do is wrong.
But when I look into his eyes, for the very first time, I realise, that they are cold. Dead somehow.

Raines did that to him.

"What are you doing here, Jarod?" he says. "I already have her. I don't need you."

I can feel the sweat in my armpits. Fear. Am I afraid of my own brother?

He has a knife in his hand. I`m trying to look at *Kyle* while talking to him, but I have to look at her again and again. Assure myself, that she`s okay.

Am I staring at her? I can't say. It's so hard to concentrate.

"Don't hurt her, Kyle. I know you are angry. But please, don't. It won't change anything. Let me help you."

He's not really listening.

But I can't say what he's thinking.

Why is it so hard to read him? I could always read people. Why not my own brother?

"This is what will help me. Her death, Dr Billie`s, the old Parker's, his son's, Sydney's. I'm doing this for us. Once they are dead, we will be free."

"Kyle, if you kill them, you aren't better than they are."

"You never understood it, didn't you, Jarod? I have never been different or *better* than they are. I'm a killer. They made me one. And they used you as some kind of guinea pig. They deserve death."

Dead. He's talking about Miss Parker dead. I can't think straight. Why?

I`ve always wanted to save her. Just because of one thing: She is my childhood friend and she deserves to be happy. But I'm not behaving as if I'm taking care of a *friend*.

What's going on inside of me is much more than that...

It can't be. It just can't.

She looks at Kyle with anger in her eyes.

Parker as usual.

I nearly smile about that.

When did I start to touch her with my leg? And why is it so hard to get away?

Is this...?

It doesn't feel like with Nia. Not at all. This is much more powerful.

I`m starting to talk. I don't even know myself what I'm saying. I'm talking and talking to my brother and don't realize what I'm saying. All I know is, that I'm trying to save Miss Parker who suddenly seems to be so much more than a friend.

He turns around and walks away.

I call after him, but the truth is, I don't want him to come back with all my heart.

After what seems like an acceptable time to call him, I stop.

A little voice in my head tells me, that Kyle is my brother, the only person I have, that Miss Parker will never feel the same way about me like I just realized I feel about her.

But I don't care about it.

I get on my knees and put a hand on her shoulder, the only way to tell her that nothing can happen to her anymore, she`ll allow without jumping at me again.

I take the stripe of her mouth and touch her lips with my thump.

I can still say it happened accidentally.

But she doesn't say anything about it, so maybe there is hope? Maybe she does feel the same I do?

"Did he hurt you? Does it hurt anywhere?"

"What? You want to examine me, Wonderboy?"

I hope she doesn't see the disappointment. I hope, she believes that I do not care about the way she talks to me.

"I call Sydney and tell him where they can find you."

So here I am again, calling Sydney to get her.

"They'll be here in 20 Minutes. I have to go now", I say at last.

"See you soon, Jarod." Her voice is so terribly cold. It hurts. "When I find you and bring you in."

"Bye, Parker."

I turn around to walk away before she can see the emotions in my face.

"Jarod!"

I try to look cool, just like she tries. But she is the master in this game.

"Thank you."

I smile. A much too happy smile. "You're welcome", I say. "Always."

My love.

And I'm happy though, because even if I still have to lie to her, I'm not lying to myself anymore.


The End.