Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

All my thanks to Cleo for beta-reading the whole series. :-) This was one of my first tP fan fics and you helped me a lot. :-)

Some of a kind
Part 1: Kyle

A Pretender Fan Fic by Mareen


"Kyle!"

"What are you doing here, Jarod? I already have her. I don't need you."

I look at him. He's obviously frightened. His eyes are going from me, to the knife in my hand and then towards her. His eyes stay on her for a long, long time.


For a second, I'm wondering how this man can be my brother. We have nothing in common but this gene that makes us what we are. Special.

"Don't hurt her, Kyle. I know you are angry. But please, don't. It won't change anything. Let me help you."

"This is what will help me. Her death, Dr Billie`s, the old Parker's, his son's, Sydney's. I'm doing this for us. Once they are dead, we will be free."

"Kyle, if you kill them, you aren't better than they are."

"You never understood it, didn't you, Jarod? I have never been different or *better* than they are. I'm a killer. They made me one. And they used you as some kind of guinea pig. They deserve death."

He's looking at her again, his expression full of fear. I haven't touched her yet, only bound her hands and closed her mouth with a stripe. There's anger in her eyes.

Parker as usual.

I'm sure she would scream at both of us if she could. At me because I was able to catch her. At him because...because of what?

I watch them again. Jarod is talking to me, trying to change my mind about killing her. But I'm not listening. I watch them.

Yes. Parker would swear at him, too, if she could. But I'm starting to believe that she would do it because she's more afraid of him than she is of me. I could only hurt her body. Jarod, my brother, could hurt her soul.

I'm glad no one's that close enough to me to do that. No one is. Sure, Jarod's trying to. But he can't get through to me. Too much happened. We are much too different.

But these two...

They are drawn to another. Even now, their bodies are moving towards each other. Jarod's leg is slightly touching her arm and she doesn't push him away. Quite the opposite. And they are probably not even aware of it.

I strengthen my shoulders.

They are so weak. They *need* each other. If you want to survive, you have to be able to push away all emotions. Stay for yourself.

Alone.

And they can't do that.

Maybe I should envy them....

No. Not really. For what?

Jarod made his decision.

I made mine.

I could have killed them both. Parker because she deserved it. Jarod because he would have tried to stop me. He has chosen her and isn't even aware of it.

I turn around and walk away. Jarod is calling after me, but when I look back at them at last, he already has one of his hands on her shoulder and is very carefully taking away the stripe on her mouth with his other hand. I know he wants to hold her and she wants him to do it.

But they wouldn't tell each other.

In a way, they are worse than Raines or the old Parker.

Because my brother and his little girl, Miss Parker, are not only lying to each other. They are lying to themselves, too.

For a moment I think that they are somehow miserable.

So, in a way... they really owe each other.

There's nothing for me here.

I leave.


The End.