Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 7
by Gemini






The next day started quietly.

Miss Parker and Daniel sat in the kitchen, they drank coffee and read newspapers.

Actually Daniel read, Miss Parker stared at him and was deep in her thoughts.

Jarod was wrong, she thought! Daniel didn't want to use her! She was very lucky to have him in her life. She depended on him after Marie's death and he had been there for her.He had the answers that made her feel better and he cared about her.

Daniel smiled as he noticed that Miss Parker was looking at him.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked.

"Oh, nothing," answered Miss Parker with a smile.

"You know what, we should have a nice romantic dinner tonight. What do you think?" asked Daniel.

"I thoguth you're going out to work again," said Parker.

"Yes, but I'll be back by then."

Parker nodded. "A dinner sounds good."

She then went upstairs to her room. She was still a little angry with Jarod and she hoped that she wouldn't have to see him anymore.

She changed her mind when she saw the surprise Jarod had left her in her room.

As she entered, she saw a bunch of colorful balloons. The text on them said - Forgive me?

Parker couldn't hold back a smile. It had been a very long time since she was given balloons as a child.

She didn't even start to wonder how Jarod got them in there, however she couldn't let thme stay there, because she didn't want Daniel to see them. She decided to take them outside when Daniel was gone. She also decided to pay Jarod a visit, just out of curiosity, but before she wanted to call someone.

"This is Sydney," the voice at the other end said.

"Hi Sid, it's me."

"Parker! Where are you? We haven't heard from you for a while! Are you alright? Is something wrong?"

"Are you finished?" Parker asked with a smile. "I'm fine. I needed to get away for a while so I left. I just wanted to check how things are at the Centre."

"Everything is...wierd," said Sydney.

"You mean wierder than usually?"

"Yes. Since you left Jarod also disappeared. We have no clues on him. This is the biggest dead end ever!" explained Sydney.

Parker grinned. If he just knew how close Jarod actually was. Well, not close to the Centre, but to her. She actually enjoyed the power of knowing something no one else in the Centre knew. Her father and Raines had kept her out of things many many times and now she was playing with their favorite toy and they had no idea. She smiled as she thought of Lyle's expression if he would find out what was going on.

"Parker, are you there?" asked Sydney.

"I'm here. I don't want you to tell anyone that I called. Ok?"

"I won't. When are you coming back?"

Miss Parker thought about it for a moment.

"Hmmm...I really don't know," she said. "I have to go now."

Parker put down the phone and started to get ready for her visit.


* * * * * * * * * * * * *

The house that stood next to Parker's and Daniel's house belonged to a young man named Matthew Rivers, but everybody called him just Rivers. His parents, who were very rich, but extremely busy, had bought it for him.

He was an artist and it was a perfect place for him. He loved the ocean and he talked to it every day. He got inspiration and comfort from it .

He had agreed to let Jarod stay with him. The house was very big, but he only used one room as his bedroom and one room as his studio.

Jarod got a room next to Rivers' bedroom. It was nice and simple - all that Jarod needed.

Rivers was already up and working in his studio when Jarod woke up that morning.

He got dressed and went downstairs to the studio.

Rivers finished working on something. Jarod didn't understand it yet, but he was sure it had a deeper meaning.

"Good morning," Rivers said when he noticed Jarod.

"Good morning. You always get up this early?" asked Jarod, because he realised that Rivers had been working for hours.

"Not really, but today I'm going out with my friends, I'm actually leaving in couple of minutes, so the morning was the only time for me to paint," Rivers explained.

Jarod took a good look at the painting in front of him. "It's really good. Can I see more of your work?"

Rivers thought about it for a a second.

"Sure, I guess, but...I don't think I have anything around here. I've only kept some bigger paintings and then I sold them to some gallery," Rivers answered.

"What do you mean you kept only some paintings? You throw your work away?" Jarod asked with a surprise.

Rivers smiled. "I paint because I want to, Jarod. I paint my feelings, about some moment or about some thing that's going on...It's nothing big. I don't paint because I want to be famous or rich or something. I hate rich people."

Jarod was aware of Rivers family and of how rich they really ware, but he knew that at many cases, parents as busy as his had very little time for their children.

"But I haven't thrown everything away," Rivers continued and went to his bedroom to get himself ready. "Some stuff is up at the attic."

Jarod fallowed him to the bedroom and sat on his bed.

"Can I go see?" he asked.

"Sure, but I have to go now. I won't be back untill tomorrow morning, I think," said Rivers.

"Ok then, have fun with your friends!"

Rivers smiled and went outside.

Jarod got up to go to the attic, but heard the doorbell.

He went to open the door.

"Did you forget something?" asked Jarod, assuming that it was Rivers.

"No, I'm pretty sure I didn't," said Miss Parker and grinned.

"Oh, It's you! I thought it was my...come in!"

Miss Parker went inside. She took a look around. Rivers didn't seem to take very good care of his house, but there was something special about it.

"I must say I'm really surprised to see you," said Jarod. He looked at her to get a clue of her thoughts, but she was hiding them very well. Jarod wished that they wouldn't have that invisible wall between them. It hadn't been there when they were younger. It had been much easier to understand her. Now he only pretended to know her very well, even though sometimes he didn't.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything," said Parker.

Jarod looked at the stairs. "Well actually I was going to the attic. Come on!"

He went to the stairs, but Parker didn't move.

"To the attic? Why were you going to the attic?" she asked and raised her eyebrow.

"I'll show you," said Jarod. He gently took her hand and pulled her to join him.

Parker quickly pulled her hand away, but fallowed him.

They entered an empty, dusty room. Since Rivers didn't have much furniture or things in the house, he didn't have anything up in the attic.

There was some kind of a pile at one corner, it was covered with an old sheet.

Jarod closed the door behind them and went towards it. Miss Parker fallowed him.

"What are you looking for?" she asked. She still didn't have a clue why Jarod had dragged her there.

Jarod pulled the cover off.

"Oh!" said Miss Parker with a surprise.

Rivers' work was amazing. The painting were just incredible. Jarod took some of them out from the pile. There was a little boy with a dog on one. They were playing on the beach. Another one had hundreds of faces on it. However, some of the paintings were very dark and Jarod couldn't understand them, but he knew that these had meanings for Rivers. Like he had said he was painting for himself.

"Whose are they?" asked Parker.

"They are pained by Matthew Rivers. He owns this house. As you can see, he's very talented."

Miss Parker nodded. "Maybe I could buy some of those? As a souvenir...when I go back."

Jarod put down the paintings and turned to Parker. Her face was still expressionless.

"You're going back? Already?" he asked and tried to hide his disappointment.

Parker heared it though and she was a little surprised by it. It was time to find out what Jarod was really up to.

"Well...why shouldn't I? What's keeping me here?" she asked.

"I thought...well why did you come here in the first place?"

Miss Parker seemed to think over Jarod's question for a while.

"I came to get away," she grinned. "Which was obviously very foolish of me."

"Why's that?" asked Jarod.

Miss Parker was getting a little angry. Was he teasing her? Or were his powers overrated?

"Did it ever occure to you that you might be one of those things I wanted to get away from?"she snapped.

Jarod almost wanted to ask why, but stopped. A clever smile appeared on his face even though he tried to hide it. How was it that he couldn't hide anything from her, but she remained a mystery to him.

Parker soon realised what he was smiling about. "One of those many, many, many things...many things!"

Now Jarod couldn't stop himself from laughing.

Even Miss Parker smiled when she realised that she didn't do any good to herself by saying that.

"I Didn't know I was that important...among those...many, many, many things," laughed Jarod.

Parker turned around."Unbelivable!"

She started to go to the door, because she wanted to get out of there.

Jarod fallowed her and stopped laughing. "I'm sorry," he smiled.

Parker didn't listen. "I'va had enough of you laughing at me!" she said. She tried to open the door, but the old thing stayed shut. She tried again. Nothing.

Jarod told her to step aside and tried himself. Still nothing. The door didn't come open.

"This is not funny! Jarod, open the door right now!" demanded Miss Parker.

Jarod tried again, but without a result. "It's stuck!"

Parker gave him a look that made him swallow hard. "It's not like I planned this! Honestly!" he said.

"As much as I know, you could have planned this all thing starting with Marie to get me here!" she yelled.

Once again Jarod started to laugh. He couldn't stop for minutes. After that he managed to mutter "Give me one reason why I would go through all this trouble to get you here?!"

"Who knows, this may be some sick payback of yours," said Parker.

Jarod sighed. This was going to be a long, long night.