Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 1
by Gemini






"I was up all night. I went trough every last detail, every last moment. This is something that won't leave me alone for a long time. It was so awful..."

Sean Matthews was a 27 years old actor. He was on his way to the top. He was loved by his audiance. He was a star. He had brown hair and deep brown eyes. Since last week these eyes were filled with sadness.

"I am just so greatful...that I'm still alive."

He sat on a blue couch that was placed next to a wall with a big window. The whole room was colored in different shades of blue, it was nice. It made Sean feel safe.

"I just keep thinking about the victoms and their families."

"Have you contacted your family?"

The psychologist was a man in his fifties. He wore a gray suit which matched the color of his hair. He seemed always to know the right things to say.

"Yes. I spoke to my Mother...she cryed a lot. She said that she saw a picture in the newspaper. A picture about the crash. There wasn't much left of the plane so I understand why she was so shocked."

"That is only natural."

"But why? Why did I live?"

"Why do you think? Do you think there has to be a reason? Was it just because you sat where you did?"

"Kelly sat right next to me...I'll never get over that, she was a good friend of mine."

Sean stared out of the window to hide his tears. He couldn't cry.

"What about the announcment you did in that interview yesterday? that you're taking some time off?"

"I have to. There is so much I need to think about. You never understand how fragile life really is until you face death. My career, my fans can wait, I'm young. For some reason I was givven a second chance and there is somebody who deserves a second chance from me."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker walked right into her father's office. She didn't bother to knock.

"Aah, Angel! Just the one I wanted to see!" Mr. Parker sayd happily

"I know...the memo you left on my desk."

"Right. I've got some news," he stood up from behind his desk

"What?" Parker knew it couldn't be anything good. There just weren't any good news left.

"It has been 5 years since Jarod escaped and since that he has been Centre's number one concern. It's time to put him aside...not for real, just for one week."

"What are you talking about?" Miss Parker wasn't sure she had heard her father right. Putting Jarod aside? What the hell did he mean?

"I have a different assignment for you," he said

"Daddy? Where is this coming from?" Miss Parker was more then suprised.

"This is just one week, if it doesn't work out then maybe even less. Sydney and Broots can take care of Jarod...it's not like he's ready to come back yet." Mr Parker grinned.

Miss Parker sighed "And what kind of an assignment is that?"

"Come on! First there is someone you need to meet." Mr Parker walked out of his office and Miss Parker fallowed him, still confused.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod put down the newspaper and took a sip from his mug. He was sitting in a wooden kitchen behind a light brown table. It was midday, but he had just waken up. He had had a rough night. He grinned when he thought about it.

A young woman wearing jeans and white t-shirt came in and took a seat next to him. She was a young single mother, her name was Sarah.

"Chelsea should be back from school soon. I'm a little worried that we have to leave her here alone, but she's a big girl."

"We'll be back in half an hour, I promse." Jarod was still feeling quilty for braking Sarah's car. It had been for a good cause of course, actually he had done that to save Chelsea's life, but that didn't change the fact that she had nothing to drive with. Jarod had promised to stick around for a little longer and take her to the town with his car.

"So what time did you get back last night?" she asked with compassion, because he really did look exchausted.

"Around 4 am."

"4 am? Wow, and how did it go?"

"Let's just say that this time Larry won't bother you again." Jarod grinned again. He wasn't getting into details, he still had to eat his brekfast and didn't want to ruin his appetite.

"How can I ever thank you, Jarod? First you saved Chelsea from a car accident and now you got Larry off my back?"

"He had no right to treat you like that. I was glad to help! Beside I enjoyed every moment I spent here with you and Chelsea. She's a great kid."

"Yes she is," smiled Sarah. "Thank you for everything."

"You welcome. Now lets hope she gets home soon, because we want to be back before it gets dark."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Angel, meet Daniel Gallagher."

Mr Parker had traged her daughter to SL 3 to a new section. They had entered a big, dark room. Then again - all of the rooms in the Centre were big and dark. They found Daniel waiting for them. He was about 35 years old, tall, he had dark hair and dark eyes.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Parker," he said while offering her his hand.

Parker didn't say anything. He gave the man an investigative look. There was just something about him. She didn't know what, but there was.

"Angel, he's the man you'll be working with," said Mr Parker. "You should get started right away. There's not much time left."

Mr Parker smiled and leaved the room.

"Daddy? What the...not much time left? I have no idea what I'm even doing here," Miss Parker felt like screaming. Once again she was in the middle of something she had no idea about and she had a feeling that it was something she didn't want to know about.

"It's simple really," Daniel spoke calmly "You and I are in charge of the Centre's new project."

"And that is?"

"Come along." Daniel started to leave the room and Parker fallowed him. She knew she'll be sorry, but what could she do, her father had sent her there.

They stepped into an elivator and headed to the 23rd sublevel.

Miss Parker didn't know where to start. She had about million questions in her head.

"So, Miss Parker," he started first "I figure you should be happy with a change. I imagine that hunting down a genius can get really boring," said Daniel.

Miss Parker was suprised that he knew that much about her. Well it wasn't much, but comparing to the fact that she knew nothing about him, she found it unfair.

"Then again, he does do everything to...spice...things up, like sending you dead swallows or Igors or..."

Now that was too much! How the hell did he know all that!

"Who are you?" asked Miss Parker

"I'm a friend." He smiled sweetly.

"I don't have friends. Where did you get the information about me?" hissed Miss Parker

"I read your file. I like to know the people I'm working with."

"Then why don't I know anything about you?"

"Well, that can be arranged. How about a dinner?"

Miss Parker couldn't belive her ears. Who did he think he was.

"Business dinner...of course," he smiled again.

They reached SL 23 and got out of the elivator. They entered a room with white walls and white drapes. In the middle of it was a bed and on the bed lied a little girl. She seemed to be sleeping. Her face was pale and she looked exchausted.

Miss Parker stepped closer to the bed. It felt horrible to see that little girl like that. She didn't even want to know what the Centre had done to her.

"Her name is Marie," said Daniel and went to the other side of the bed. He looked at the girl with sadness in his eyes. "She's ill. She's very ill."

>From the first moment Miss Parker had seen Daniel she had decided that she didn't like him, but she was beginning to realise that there was much more to him then the eye meets.

"Is she..." she stopped.

"Yes, she's dying," Daniel sighed. "She's got a week, maybe two..." he paused "that's why we don't have a lot of time."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sean knocked on a wooden door and stepped back to have another look at the house. Everything was the same, even the garden and the white fence.

The door before him opened and a little girl, about 8 years old, stepped out. She was a pretty child and her eyes were happy.

"Yes?" she asked with a smile.

Sean stood there like he had seen a ghost. That girl, that little girl. Was she...was she his...He felt that he was not breathing, he just kept staring at the girl.

"Mr? Can I help you?" she asked with a worried voice.

Can she help him? Sean couldn't belive his ears. Can she help him?

"I...I...is your mother home?" least he was able to talk again.

"No, she went to town. She'll be back in a half an hour."

"Could I...wait for her?" Sean was confused, he had no idea what was going on with him, but he was scared.

"I'm sorry, but my Mom said I can't let anyone in while she's gone."

"Oh, oh...of course, you're mother is right. I'm sorry. I'll come back later...here," he took a piece of paper and a pen from his pocket. He wrote something down and handed it to the girl. "Here's the adress where I'm staying. Would you please give it to your mother?"

The girl nodded and closed the door. Sean needed a moment to gather himself before he started walking back to his car. Her mother had told him not to let anybody in, her mother said that to protect her, her mother had every right to tell her that - she was the one who had raised her, the one who had stayed with her. She hadn't walked out on her 8 years ago like he had.

Sean sat in the car. He took another look at the house and drove away.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What am I...why am I here?" Miss Parker still didn't understand what was going on. She had met Marie and knew that she was very ill, but other then that she was still in the dark.

"First let me tell you about Marie." Daniel walked away from the girl and took a seat on a white couch that was placed next to the wall. Miss Parker joined him.

"She was brought here about a month ago. Like I said she's ill, but no one knows what's the matter. She has this disease that doesn't even have a name yet. No one has ever seen anything like that. The doctors had no idea what it was. The Centre had her brought here to study the disease and hopefully find a cure. For the rest of the world she died last month. Unfortunatly non of the people here could figure it out either."

"You have been studing her case?" Miss Parker asked quietly.

"Yes, I was in charge of finding the cure, but that is impossible because we don't even know what is this disease. That's why there's nothing left for us to do." Daniel sighed again. He was honestly suffering because of that girl. "Anyway, about a week ago, Marie actually woke up. She even talked to us a little, she still does, but there's something...some kind of a voice inside her she keeps hearing. That's why you are here. Even though you have had no time to develop or work with your inner sense...maybe...you can understand her."

Miss Parker stood up again. She sighed. She sighed again.

"When she wakes up, I would want you to be here."

"I will," Miss Parker nodded and walked out of the room. She had to get away to think it over.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod and Sarah were back from town. Jarod took the bags with groceries and they went inside the house. Chelsea happily greeted them back.

"Hey! Did you do ok? Of course you did, you're a big girl!" Sarah hugged her daughter.

"Did you bring me icecream?" Chelsea asked with a big smile

"Go check in the kitchen!"

Chelsea was gone in a second. Sarah laughed and turned to Jarod.

Jarod had noticed a piece of paper on the table. He picked it up and handed to Sarah.

"What's this?" She read the address, but didn't recognize it. "Chelsea!" she called.

Chelsea came back with an icecream.

"What is this?" Sarah showed her the note.

"Oh, a man was looking for you. He told me to give it to you," said Chelsea

"Who?" The first thought in Sarah's and in Jarod's mind was Larry. Was he really back already? No, he can't be, thought Jarod, he definatly can't be.

"I don't know. He seemed nice, but confused," said Chelsea

Sarah and Jarod exchanged looks. Least it hadn't been Larry, Chelsea would have known him.

"I'll go there." Sarah took the paper and her coat.

"Do you want me to come with you?" offered Jarod.

"No, you stay here with Chels, ok?"

"Sure." Jarod opened the door for Sarah and she went out. He then turned to the girl. "You know, I happen to like icecream a lot too."

Chelsea smiled, she quickly ran away from him to save her icecream. Jarod laughed and chased her a little, but as she disappeared in the kitchen he gave up.

"Ok, you win Chelsea! You're too quick for me!" he said with a smile.

He sat on the couch and took out his cellphone. It was time for some mindgames that he so much enjoyed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What?"

Jarod grinned, good old Parker.

"Glad to hear you're ok. I was getting worried for a little since you didn't show up at New York on Monday. Whay was that? You're taking some time off? Sydney and Broots were there."

Miss Parker sighed. She was sitting in her office still thinking. "New York? What are you talking about?"

"Don't tell me that Centre's keeping you in the dark about me now," Jarod didn't know what to think.

"Then why don't you enjoy that, Jarod. You don't have to deal with me for a while."

Jarod felt even more confused. What was happening to her? "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine Jarod." Parker wanted to end the converstaion, but for some reason she didn't. She had a thought in her mind, but was too scared to say it out loud. She realised that she can't share it with him, it would be against her father's will. Besides, it wouldn't be sure that he could save Marie in the first place. No, it was out of question. "I'm fine, so leave me alone." Parker put down her phone.

Jarod stared at the space before him. There was no way he would leave her alone. There was something going on and he had to know what.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sarah stopped Jarod's car in front of a snall hotel. She took the paper and went inside.

Five minutes later she knocked on the door with a nuber 102 on it. She didn't have to wait for long. The door went opened and she stood face to face with Sean Matthews.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *