Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 6
by Gemini





Miss Parker had slept most of the flight and most of the way from the airport. She hadn't noticed anything that was going on around her. She didn't talk or listen. She just..was there in the car.

Daniel had promised to take her away and he did. He took her to California. He had rented a house there by the beach. A place where they could get away from everything and a place where they could be together.

It was already dark outside when they finally made it to the house.

This was the first time since they left Delaware, Miss Parker smiled.

She loved the house from the first moment. It was big and it stood right at the beach next to the ocean. The view was incredible. The house was filled with wooden furniture and was covered with light colors.

They stepped into a big hall which was surrounded by stairs.

"This is incredible," Miss Parker said. She went into the livingroom which was right next to the hall. She went by a window and looked at the ocean. Although it was dark, she could see how the wind played with the waves.

"I'm so happy you like it," said Daniel. "The bedrooms are upstairs and there's a really sweet kitchen over there," he pointed at the direction where the kitchen was. "But I'd probably prefer eating out. It's been awhile since we went to a restaurant together." He smiled.

"Not tonight, I'm really tired and..." Miss Parker stopped for a second as she came away from the window. "And I did come here to get some time to be alone and to think. I really don't feel like going out any time soon."

Daniel smiled. "Sure, I understand."

Miss Parker went back to the hall. She took her things and went upstairs. She wanted to get some rest.

Her bedroom was also very beautiful. It's large windows let the moonlight in and it was the only light she needed. She took off her clothes and lay on the bed. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. It felt so perfect to be there. No one was around to tell her lies or to hurt her, least not at that moment. Daniel had been a real friend and she was very greatful for that.

She was too tired to think of anything else. She fell asleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker woke up around 11 am. She felt good because she had had a good sleep.

She got up and went to the mirror.

Who was that woman who looked back at her? Who was she and why was she so sad?

It was not Miss Parker, not the real Miss Parker. It was a shadow of her. A weak figure.

With getting to know that little girl Marie and with her death some doors were opened. Doors to Miss Parker's soul and heart and she didn't know how to close them again. She needed to be who she was to survive. The world around her was not human and she had to fit in.

While sitting there in front of a mirror, Parker thought she understood why she had left Delaware. It was because she didn't want anyone to see her like that. She couldn't let anyone know that she had a weaker side too. It would have disappointed her father.

It was that and only that, Parker thought. Her getting away had nothing to do with the fact that she felt so completly lost in her own life, in the whole world. Alone in the whole world. No. That was all just a stuped phase which had to be someone else's fault. Jarod's? Yes, it had all been because of him. He and his stuped need to save the world. Parker didn't know how these things were related, but she was sure they were.


* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker went downstairs about twenty minutes later.

Daniel was working on some papers in the livingroom. He smiled happily as he saw Miss Parker. He stood up and went to her.

"Good morning. How are you feeling? Did you sleep ok?" he asked.

"Yes," answered Miss Parker.

Daniel put his arm around her and they started to walk to the kitchen.

"I was thinking about what you said last night...that you came here to be alone...I just really hope that you aren't going to push me away, Parker. I'm here to help you out. To help you through this," Daniel said when looking into her eyes. He wanted his words to be warm because he had to make her belive and he really ment most of what he said. He had taken her that far and he really didn't want her to push him away.

He had it all figured out. Mr Parker and he got along just great. Mr Parker liked him a lot so he would have no problem with having him in the family. Being in Parker family ment power. A lot of power and in the Centre...power was everything.

That was not all of course. A woman like Miss Parker was a dream to a man like he. He was sure that he would love her one day, but that was not the most important thing. It was much more important to make her love him. It was like conquering something that was impossible to conquer. He was sure that by pushing the right buttons, he could do it. And top of it all...he really, really, really wanted to get her into bed. That was the weakest link in his whole game. He had to make sure that he wouldn't ruin his plans for that kind of an opportunity. That was going to be hard.

"I don't want to push you away, but you have to understand that I need my space right now," Parker said as they made it to the kitchen.

Daniel went to get her some coffee. "I know and I respect that. I just want you to know that I'm here for you."

"Thank you." Parker took the coffee.

"However, I still have some business that I need to take care of. I hope that you don't mind. I need to go to Santa Barbara, but I'll be back later tonight."

Miss Parker nodded. That gave her an opportunity to be by herself. To get to know the place and to think. No, she didn't want to think. She had done that too much lately. She decided not to think, but just to enjoy her vacation.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

About half an hour later, Daniel left.

Miss Parker went to the livingroom and sat on the coach that was covered with a pattern of different colored flowers.

Since she didn't allow herself to think, she soon felt bored. She started to look for some kind of an activity.

Suddenly the doorbell rang.

Miss Parker was surprised because she hadn't waited for any guests yet. Nobody even knew that she and Daniel were there.

As she opened the door she let out a long sigh.

"Can this be for real?" Parker said and roller her eyes. She was honestly surprised. "What the hell are you doing here, Jarod?"

Jarod didn't wait for an invitation, but walked right in.

"I thought I'd surprise you," he said with a funny grinn.

Parker closed the door. "You really like to push it, don't you? I'm calling the sweaper team here in a moment."

"Now, you don't want to do that. It would ruin your litlle get-away," Jarod said. "I wonder what has changed? Couple days ago you weren't slightly interested in capturing me. You let me walk in and out just as I wished and now you pull the sweaper team card on me?"

"What has changed? I can see straight again! Now, what the hell are you doing here?" she said with a demanding voice.

Jarod once again dropped his usual act. Just like he had done at Parker's house couple days ago. "I came to apologize."

"Apologize?" Parker asked with a surprise.

"Yes, to apologize...for what I said when...for hurting you."

"For hurting me? For witch time would that be?" She raised her eyebrow.

Jarod smiled for a second, but didn't let her remark bother him. "I know that the death of that little girl was very difficult for you and I'm sorry for accusing you." Jarod said while walking to the door that went to the back yard. He opened it and looked at the ocean.

Parker fallowed him with her eyes, but didn't say a thing. She knew by now that she wasn't going to call the sweapers, but having him in her life as actually talking to him face to face was something new...altough something really familiar.

"Have you seen the ocean today?" Jarod asked as he smelled the fresh air.

Parker started to slowly move towards him. He went outside and she fallowed him.

The weather was just wonderful. The golden sun was shining and warming the beach. Birds were singing the prettiest songs and the ocean was calm.

"I love this place," Jarod said. "It's paradise. I'd give anything to be actually able to stay at a place like this without anyone being after me."

"The way I see it...no one's after you right now...you could just disappear," Miss Parker said.

They walked closer to the water. Jarod sat on the sand and Miss Parker stood next to him. She still hadn't let down her guard.

"I've thought about it, but I don't think I'm ready for that," Jarod said after some silence. "There are too many unanswered questions to leave behind. The Centre is my only link with my parents."

Miss Parker didn't say anything. She didn't know what to say. She sat down next to Jarod.

Both of them kept staring at the ocean.

"You know..." Jarod started," I'm thinking about staying here for a while."

"What? Here?" Parker asked.

"Yeah, I just really love it here." He didn't want to tell her that he was staying because of her and that he already made a deal with the young guy who lived next door.

"Jarod..." Parker thought she had million of things to say so he wouldn't stay, but she couldn't think of any.

Jarod knew that he was safe there. He knew how much Mr Parker liked Daniel and that he had said that no one could bother them while they're at their vacation. Sometimes people from Centre seemed just stuped. That was one of those times. There was no way in hell that a sweaper would come there unless Parker called them and he knew she wouldn't. The only problem was Daniel.

"Oh...but you can't tell Daniel about this," he said.

Miss Parker turned away from the ocean and looked at him. "Why are you doing this? Why do you want to stay here?"

Jarod turned himself to her. "The truth is I want to protect you. I don't trust that guy."

"Since when can you tell me who to see and who not?" Parker was pretty close to slap him.

"I don't want to tell you who you can see, but you must understand that he's using you. You are very vulnerable right now and he's taking an advantice of it," Jarod said calmly.

"Don't you dare say anything about Daniel. He is the only one who has been there for me!" Parker stood up again. She started to go back to the house, but Jarod stopped her. For a moment she turned around to face him, but then pulled herself loose and went inside.

Who the hell did he think he was? Was he thinking at all? Parker was sick and tired of someone else running her life. She was so sick of it. Jarod had no right to tell her what to do. She wished he would stay away from her. Was there no way in the world that she would get some peace...to be alone. She had felt alone since the day her mother died. She didn't have any real friends, ecxept some of the people she worked with. Her father didn't seem to care that much either and yet she couldn't get away to be alone. Jarod and his stuped need to save the world! Well, she didn't need to be saved.

She wished that Daniel would get back alreay. He? Using her? What did Jarod know.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod didn't fallow Miss Parker, but went back to the beach. Why did it never go the way he wanted with her? He had taken care of things much bigger, but he had no sucsess when it came to Parker. Then again, what was it he really wanted. Was it that he thought Daniel was using her? Was it something else? Jarod wasn't sure what it was, but he had a strange feeling about all that. Something he couldn't explain yet.

He started to walk to the house that stood next to Parker's and Daniel's. To the house where he was going to stay.