Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 5
by Gemini







Jarod got back to Sarah's house in the morning. Sarah was already up and sat in the kitchen. She was staring at her coffee cup. She seemed far away in her thoughts.

"Good morning," Jarod said quietly. He was tired of everything that had happened last night.

"Jarod, I didn't hear you come in," Sarah raised her head.

"I was quiet, I didn't want to wake Chelsea."

"Sorry, but you don't look so good," Sarah smiled and went to get him some coffee.

"I don't feel good either," he said and sat behind the table.

"What is it that you do? You have disappeared every night now. If I didn't know better I'd think you're a vampire," Sarah grinned and gave the man a cup. "It's only coffee, I'm out of blood, sorry."

Jarod smiled, "Thanks."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Sarah wasn't going to give up.

"I don't want to bother you with my troubles, you have enough problems. With Sean and Chelsea."

"Hey, you've helped me so much, Jarod. It's the least I can do." Sarah said with compassion.

"Well," Jarod sighed,"I went to see somebody, unfortunatly it didn't go like I planned. I'm not sure what's going on, but I feel like I have failed in something."

"I don't know much about you, Jarod, or about your life or your past, but you are a very good person," said Sarah, "and I know that it's all gonna work out. You deserve to be happy. You and the people you love."

Jarod nodded quietly. "I'm going to do everything for that, but I can't stay here anymore."

"You're leaving?" Sarah asked with a surprise, although she had known that the moment wasn't far.

"I have to. I'm going back where I went yesterday one more time and then we'll see what happends."

"Good luck, Jarod," Sarah said sincerly.

"I'll need it."

Jarod stood up and walked to his room to pack his things.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker got another memo from Daniel as soon as she stepped into her office next morning. Of course it was about the new project, about Marie.

Slowly, Parker went to the 23rd sublevel and stepped into the white room. She noticed Daniel and another man quietly sitting on the couch and staring at the girl. She was talking, but she wasn't talking to them. She was talking...to the voices.

Parker stopped by the door. No one had noticed she had come.

"I like flowers, my Mom and Dad have a big garden...yes, roses...long red roses...I remember when I..."

The girl smiled happily as she noticed Parker. She was talking very quietly, but she seemed happy.

"Hey," Parker stepped forward.

"This is Miss Parker...of course you knew that...yes she is."

"Are they here?" Parker asked looking around like she hoped to see them.

"Yes, can you hear them?"

"No, no I can't. Marie, listen to me, this is very important," Miss Parker said as she took her little white hand. "You have to ask them about your illness. You have to ask if they know the cure, if they know anything."

"They say, it's going to be over very soon," said the girl and she...she smiled.

Miss Parker suddenly felt sick. All of them there knew that there wasn't much time left and the girl seemed to be waiting for the death to come.

"Parker, are you OK?" Daniel got up from the couch.

"No, I don't feel so good," she said.

"Maybe you should lie down, come on." Daniel wanted to take her to the couch.

"No! I'm sorry Marie, I have to go now," Parker let go of her hand and went to the door.

"Goodbye, Miss Parker," the girl said quietly and closed her eyes. She took a deep breath and tried to get some sleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod finished packing his things. He had no idea what he was going to do. He just knew he had to see Miss Parker before he decided.

He went to the livingroom and saw Sean standing there.

"Hey!" said Sean. He seemed to be in a good mood, but also nervous.

"Hey. Are you waiting for Sarah?" asked Jarod and looked around to see if he had forgotten anything. He noticed his sunglasses on the table and went to get them.

"Actually, I'm waiting for Chelsea. Sarah went to get her," Sean answered. "I heard you're leaving."

"Yeah, I'll pick up my things tonight, there's just one thing I have to do at first, then I'm gone," said Jarod. "Where are you taking Chelsea?"

"Well, that's the tricky part. I don't know what to do? How to act? Where to take her? If she was a boy, I could take him to a ball game, but...uh...I really don't know," said Sean nervously.

"Why don't you start with little things. You can take her to the park, to a playground, riding..." offered Jarod

"There is a nice park near by. I think I'll do that. Thanks, Jarod. I just need some time to get used to it. I mean, that's what I wanted when I came here and that's what makes me happy. I'm just sorry I didn't realise that eight years ago. Who knows what might have been if I did..."

"Well, you take good care of her and Sarah too. Oh, I have a favor to ask..." Jarod suddenly remembered.

"Anything."

"Could you drive Sarah and Chelsea to the town sometimes? Sarah doesn't have a car...and when I'm gone..."

"No problem. That gives me more reasons to be with them!" smiled Sean. The problem was solved.

"Great! Tell Sarah and Chels that I'll be back later to pick up my things."

"Sure," said Sean.

Jarod left.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sydney found Broots sitting behind his desk, playing computergames.

"Bored I see."

"Uh, Sydney," Broots looked up, "well, it's not like we have anything better to do."

"I just talked to Mr Parker. He was very angry. He seems to think that we have lost Jarod for real. I tried to explain that it's not true, but he didn't even listen. He just said that he can't put Miss Parker back to the chase yet. I don't know what that means. However he wants us to take up on some other projects as well. I'm learning that the Centre has some new plans for the future, things that have nothing to do with Jarod."

"So what are we going to do?" asked Broots.

"We have to keep looking. I don't think Jarod is ready to give up the search for his family," said Sydney.

"I think...I think something is wrong, Syd. Why is it that Jarod disappears at the same time Miss Parker gets a new project. A coincident?"

"That's it...of course. These two things have to be related and that's where we start looking," said Sydney seriously.

"But...do you...Sydney do you really want to...want to have him back?" Broots was surprised he had asked that. "I mean, there are obviously some things that are more important for the Centre now. Things we don't have a clue about."

"I don't know...something is wrong with this picture, something is very wrong," said Sydney with a sigh and went out of his office again.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker opened the door to her house and went inside. She just wanted to forget everything and to get some sleep.

She starteled as she saw somebody sitting on her couch. She didn't take her gun, even not when she realised who it was.

"Alone, Miss Parker? Where's that...what's his name?"

"What the hell do you want from me Jarod?" Parker went straight to get her a drink. She was way too tired to fight with Jarod.

Jarod dropped his usual act. He wanted to be her friend again. He stood up and went to Parker. He took the glass away from her, crabbed her arms and made her look at him.

"Parker, please tell me what's going on," he said and looked right into her eyes.

For a moment Parker tried to pull herself loose, but he didn't let her. She felt tears coming, but there was no way she was going to let him see her cry.

"What do you mean?" she asked and turned her head away.

"Look at me, you are a mess, Miss Parker. You have lost your strenght, it's almost like...like you have died inside." Jarod still didn't let her go. She was shivering and almost lost her balance, but she didn't fell, she felt safe. She realised that she had to trust him. She didn't care that everybody else were against it. For a second a little spark of hope appeared in her eyes.

"I need your help, Jarod. There's a little girl, Marie, in the Centre and she is dying. The doctors don't know what's wrong with her or how to save her. She's running out of time. You have to help her! Please, Jarod!"

"I'm afraid it's a little too late for that."

Jarod and Miss Parker turned their heads to the door. They hadn't noticed that Daniel had walked in.

Parker pulled herself away from Jarod and stepped towards Daniel.

"What did you say?" she asked as she stopped in the middle of the room.

"It's too late to save Marie. She died couple minutes after you left. The fight is over for her, she's finally in peace."

Jarod looked at the woman who was suddenly so pale.

"Why didn't you tell me all this sooner, Miss Parker? Maybe I could have save her!" Jarod asked with some anger in his voice. He didn't know the whole story, but he was so sick and tired of seeing the victoms of the Centre. He didn't realise how wrong he was. He didn't realise that Parker needed him to comfort her not to accuse her.

Daniel did realise, he went to Parker and took her to his arms. Parker didn't push him away, but didn't hug him back either. It was almost as she had froze and couldn't move. She wasn't crying. There just weren't any tears left.

A second later Jarod realised that it should have been him there holding her. What ever it was that Daniel and Parker had been through together it couldn't be compared to what he and Parker had been through. And this was ovbiously a very hard time for Miss Parker.

Jarod felt angry. Angry at himself, angry at the fact that there was nothing he could have done. He had told Sarah that he felt like he had failed in something. Now he knew in what.

"I need to get out of here," whispered Miss Parker.

"You need some air? I'll take you outside," said Daniel.

"No, I mean really out of here. Somewhere far from here."

"Ok, ok. I'll take you anywhere you want." Daniel looked at Jarod with a small grinn at his face. A grinn which showed Jarod that Parker was his.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod quietly left Parker's house. He had promised Sarah that he would be back by evening to pick his things up, but once again he arrived in the morning. Sarah had asked him what was it he did at nights. He needed the nights to think, to understand what was going on, to find answers, but every answer brought up another question. His life story. Searching, disappointments, lonliness...it was all too familiar to him and now he was more determined than ever that things had to change. What had he told Sydney? That his life was not a game anymore? Neither was Parker's. She wanted to get away and so did he. He hated the way Daniel used her weakness to get to her.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Miss Parker went to the Centre first thing in the morning. She was wearing black and being back there made her sad. Everything reminded her of Marie. She wasn't strong enough to go and see the girl for the last time. She went streight to her father's office.

Mr Parker was happy to see her. He didn't seem to notice the sadness of her daughter.

"Angel, I'm so glad to see you," he said.

Miss Parker couldn't belive he acted like nothing had happened, but she was there for other reasons.

"Daddy, I need to take some time off," she said.

"You do? Oh...why?" Mr Parker asked.

"Me and...me and Daniel were thinking about going away for a while." Miss Parker knew her father never liked the men she was with, but it was different with Daniel. They weren't really together.

"I see. That's great! You really should get some rest and that Daniel is such a nice guy."

Miss Parker wasn't sure she had heard right.

"Well I was hoping you to go back to the chase now, but I guess it can wait a little longer." Mr Parker stepped closer to his daughter. "Who am I to step in front of happiness? Go."

"I...um...great," Miss Parker said, but her voice didn't sound too enthusiastic.

"Ok, then. I have to go now, I have an early meeting. You, take your time." said Mr Parker and went out.

Miss Parker stood there in disbelief and then fallowed him.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Everybody seemed to be sleeping. Jarod quietly went to his room and took his things. When he got back to the livingroom, he saw Chelsea.

"Hey, what are you doing up already?" Jarod asked as he put down his things.

"I couldn't sleep. Today I'm going to the zoo with Mom and Sean...with Mom and Dad," said the girl happily.

"That sounds great," Jarod smiled. He sat on the couch and Chelsea sat next to him.

"I wish you could come with us, but Mom said you're going away."

"Yes I am sweety. You have your daddy now, so you wouldn't miss me too much," he looked at the little girl who didn't have any problems or worries. He envied her because of that.

"I will miss you, Jarod." The girl gave Jarod a hug.

Sarah also came to the livingroom. She was very sad because Jarod was leaving and so was he. They said their goodbyes and Jarod stepped to the door.

"So where are you going now?" asked Sarah.

"I'm not sure yet. But I know who I'll fallow, there's somebody who may need my help and to who I owe an apologize." Jarod said with a smile.

He then went out and sat in his car. He waved to Sarah and Chelsea for the last time and then drove away.