Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 4
by Gemini







Miss Parker got to the restaurant right on time. Since it was a business dinner, she didn't want to be late. She was wearing a black skirt, not too short, a dark-colored blause to go with it and looked prettier than ever.

The restaurant looked nice too. Mostly in purple colors, which was kind of refreshing.

She noticed that Daniel was already waiting for her and walked to him. He was wearing a dark suit and for the first time Parker noticed how handsome he really was. He had chosen a table at the corner so that they could have some privacy.

"Miss Parker! Great, you're here. I must confess that I had my doubts and I wasn't sure if you'll show up at all," Daniel said as he stood up and waited for Miss Parker to sit.

"Here I am," she smiled.

"You look...beautiful," Daniel didn't want to cross the line and tried to control his words.

"Thank you," Parker smiled again. It felt nice to have dinner with him. He made her feel safe. She needed it. She realised that Daniel had been a lot of help to her since the project with Marie started.

After ordering they started to eat in silence.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod finished his dinner in a small restaurant and checked his watch. It was eight. He took his phone and dialed a number.

"Sydney, this is Jarod."

"Jarod, I'm glad you called," Sydney said. "You asked me about Daniel Gallagher because you thought he might be involved with the project?"

"Yes, did Broots find anything?"

"Well," Sydney smiled, "maybe he's not related to that project after all. It looks like he and Miss Parker..."

"What?" Jarod asked with a surprise.

"Miss Parker left for their date couple hours ago," explained Sydney. "Not that it's any of my business, of course," he said with a grin.

"Oh..." Jarod felt a little embarrased, because he had done such a big deal out of him. "Well, then we're back where we started."

"I am a little worried about you too Jarod," Sydney said, "if I wouldn't be talking to you right now, I'd think you have disappeared for real. You haven't left the Centre anything to fallow..."

"I'm tired, Sydney. I'm tired of these games. I've been out here for five years and I have learned to love the world very much..."

"And you think that it is time to disappear for good? What about your family? What about the truth and all the answers you have been looking for?" Sydney asked. These words were a weapon and he knew it.

"They're a part of the game, the game that doesn't have an ending, but I want to change the rules...and I know where I'll start." He put the phone down.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So tell me more about these voices," Daniel said and leaned back on his chair. He was full and so was Parker, but he didn't want to end the dinner yet.

Miss Parker sighed. Why did he have to bring that up. She had wished that maybe they didn't have to talk about it, least not that night. Then she remembered that it was the main reason for their dinner in the first place.

"I don't know...I don't understand them my self...my inner sense..." Parker closed her eyes for a second. " My mother had the inner sense and it helped her to see the things that were to come. That's how she knew she was going to be killed and that's what worries me about Marie. She knows too, that she's going to die..."

"I know and I hate that," said Daniel.

"But she said that the voices told her not to be afraid, maybe..." Parker stopped as she realised what she was about to say. A thougth that had crossed her mind. What if Marie didn't have to be afraid because the voices knew that they will find a cure after all. What if that's what her vision had been about. She had seen her happy and healthy. Did it mean she had to help her get well?

"Maybe what?" asked Daniel.

"Oh, nothing," Parker said. She didn't trust her inner sense completely and she didn't want to give the girl false hope.

But Daniel had already understood what she ment. "Maybe...these voices can tell us something about the disease? Maybe we should try, with you."

"It's not that simple. I can't control it and it's not very strong yet."

"But we could try! For Marie. We could go at your house, where you feel safe, and in your mind, you could go to the places you went with your mother." Daniel said with exciment in his voice.

"I've tried...all it gave me was an awful headache," said Parker.

"But we could try together..." Daniel took her hand and looked right into her eyes.

Parker sighed. "Fine."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Two cars stopped in front of Miss Parker's house. It was dark outside and silent. Parker and Daniel got out and went to the house.

Miss Parker opened the door and they stepped inside. Just when she wanted to turn on the lights they heard a noise coming from her bedroom.

Parker quickly put on the lights. Daniel took his gun and walked to the bedroom. Parker fallowed him. He carefully opened the door and they saw a man standing beside a window that he had opened. He was ready to leave, but stopped. He stared at the couple who had walked in. He was starteled to see Parker's tired face. She looked like she was in a lot of pain.

"Jarod?" Miss Parker asked weakly.

"This is Jarod? The Jarod?" Daniel couldn't belive his eyes. He had heard so much about the famous prodigy, but standing face to face with him was something else. It was scary, but also exciting. He, Daniel Gallagher, had a chance to get him. He raised his gun.

"Don't bother," Parker said quietly. "He's not my problem right now."

"What are you talking about? We have to get him!" Daniel said without lowering his gun.

Now Jarod was really worried. Not about the fact that a man had a gun on him, but about Miss Parker.

He just needed a second to jump outside and to disappear. Before that, he took another look at Miss Parker and for a brief moment their eyes met. Then he was gone.

Daniel ran after Jarod, but returned soon. He had lost him. Of course he had lost him. He suddenly realised what he had got himself into. He had a chance to capture Jarod, but lost him. That did not sound good.

"He's gone," Daniel said as he stepped into the livingroom.

Miss Parker sat on the couch with a drink and another one was waiting for Daniel.

"Forget about him, forget he was here. We have to concentrate," she said and gave the man his drink.

Daniel drank it at once and put the glass away. He sat on the chair next to the couch and turned to Parker. "Ok, lets see what we can do."

Parker closed her eyes and took a deep breath in. She wasn't sure she wanted to do this. She knew it would be for Marie, but she was afraid she wasn't ready.

"Think about your mother, think about her voice, her words, something she used to tell you..." Daniel once again took her hand as a sign of support.

Miss Parker thought about the time she and her mother were taking long walks together. Just the two of them. She was so happy back then. She was so young and innocent and her mother was so loving. It almost hurt to think about these times, but she had to.

"What do you see?" Daniel asked.

"I see what I want to see, it doesn't work that way," sighed Parker. She tried to concentrate on her mother's voice. Her words played in her head - I love you - you are my little girl - my Angel. The same words she heard every time when she thought about her mother.

"Maybe you should try to talk to her." Daniel wasn't about to give up.

"I tried that...look, maybe it's supposed to find me..."

"No, Parker. There has to be a way you can communicate with the voices," Daniel said. "What about today? You said you had a vision in the morning, about Marie. What did you do then?"

"I was just walking. I wasn't even thinking about my mother. I was...I was thinking about Marie," she said with new hope in her voice.

"Well, maybe that's what we're doing wrong here. Concentrate on Marie instead."

Parker closed her eyes again. It was getting a little ridiculous already.

She was in the withe room with the little girl. The girl smiled as she saw Miss Parker. She was pale, so pale and so fragile. Miss Parker remembered the awful feeling she had every time she was with Marie. To see her ill, to see her in pain.

Nothing. No voices, just a horrible feeling of empitness and loneliness in her heart and a headache. She opened her eyes and shook her head. She didn't want to feel that way. She wanted to get away from everything. To run. For the first time Miss Parker wanted to run instead of facing the problem, but she was too weak for that.

Tears started to fall on her cheacks. She was about to brake down when Daniel took her into his arms. She cried on his sholder, just cried and he rocked her gently.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod stopped his car when he was sure he was far enough. He needed some air.

He was in the middle of nowhere. No lights, no sounds, no people, nothing. That's how he felt inside too...he had no idea what was going on.

He had never seen Parker like that. Even after her mother died she had pulled herself together, but now she was just an emotional mess.

Why did she let him go? Who is that man? Who is Daniel Gallagher? What is the project about? Jarod knew nothing. He had spent all the time with Sarah and Chelsea. For a moment he had forgotten the Centre, because they were not a threat to him at that time. He had enjoyed the feeling that if he wanted, he could disappear for ever. And in the middle of it, he had forgotten about her. In some ways she depended on him and he felt he had let her down.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Daniel left Miss Parker's house around midnight.

She had gone to bed to get some rest, but she knew that she couldn't sleep.

The thoughts she had in the restaurant were haunting her. Her vision...the voices that told Marie not to be worried...were they just comforting her?...and now Jarod.

She had let him go. Why? What was she thinking? She had let Jarod go? Was that another part of her ridiculous plan?

What if she had let him go because she wanted him out there. She wanted him out because he was her last chance. She wanted to tell him about Marie, but her father and Daniel had told her not to.

But if he could help? And if he couldn't? That would truly be the end and Miss Parker wasn't ready to face that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *