Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 3
by Gemini






Miss Parker walked through a big hall and turned to her office. She was surprised to see somebody sitting behind her desk.

"What the hell are you doing here? Going through my things? You have a death wish?" Parker was not in a good mood.

The man turned to face Parker. It was Daniel.

"Actually I was waiting for you," he smiled, "is that so awful?"

Parker was not going to apologize, she never did. She gave him a look that made him get up from her chair.

"I'm here, so what is it?" Parker checked that he hadn't touched anything.

"Well, there were some things I was hoping we could discuss. However you were late, almost an hour? And now I have to go." Daniel was ready to leave, but stopped. "What about that dinner? That business dinner? How about tonight?"

Parker sighed. Did he really want to talk? Was it about Marie? She knew how Daniel cared about that little girl and for some reasons so did she.

"Fine," she sighed.

Daniel was a little suprised. He hadn't excpected it to go that easily. "Great. How about that new restaurant that was opened last week. I'll pick you up at..."

"A business dinner, Daniel. I'll get there myself," hissed Parker. "At seven."

Daniel smiled. He left her office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod woke up late again. He was getting used to it. The Centre had no idea where he was, although he was closer to them than they'd ever think. Jarod wasn't sure if they had no idea because he had left no traces or because that other project was so important that he was put aside. Then again that other project seemed to include only Miss Parker, not Sydney or Broots.

Jarod made his way to the kitchen. He poured himself a glass of oringejuice and turned to the light-brown table. He wasn't sure if Sarah and Chelsea were still sleeping or not, but he hadn't seen them yet. Since it was Saturday, there was no school for Chelsea or no work for Sarah.

Jarod finished his breakfast and went to the livingroom. He wrote a note to Sarah saying that he was going to town, took his jacket and was ready to leave untill he noticed another note on the table next to the door. It said:

Jarod,

Sorry I didn't wake you before we left, but you seemed exchausted. I barrowed your car to take Chelsea over to a her friend's house. I hope that you don't mind. I also have some things to take care of, but I'll be back soon.

Sarah.

Jarod grinned. She had taken the car. He didn't mind, but ha had to come up with a solution to that situation.

He put his jacket away again and turned back to the livingroom. He sat on the couch and turned on his laptop. He also took his phone and dialed a number.

"This is Sydney."

"What can you tell me about Daniel Gallagher?" Jarod asked. At the same time he entered the name to his computer and clicked the search button.

"Daniel Gallagher? Why do you ask about him?" Sydnet was surprised to hear that name.

"I have reasons to belive that he's got something to do with the project we talked about yesterday." said Jarod.

"He's a doctor, pretty young. He works here in the Centre, that's about all I know," answered Sydney.

Jarod looked at the screen of his laptop. The information he had found wasn't exactly useful. "Tell Broots to find out what he can about that man from the Centre's files."

Jarod put down the phone. A doctor? What was Miss Parker doing with a doctor? Or maybe... Jarod closed his eyes. Was that what was going on? She was ill? It would explained the way she had been acting. She had said that Jarod didn't have to deal with her for a while, hadn't she? Was that because she was really ill? Was it something serious?

Jarod had always thought that Miss Parker was strong and she was, but she was just a human being too. She was not protected from illnesses any more than anyone else.

Jarod got up and started pacing around in the livingroom. He needed a car. He had to go see her. He had to know the truth.

Suddenly he heard a knock on the door. He stopped pacing and listened. He heard it again. He went to open the door.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sarah had written that she had some things she had to take care of. By that she ment that she needed time to think. She needed to be alone.

Sean's and Jarod's words went through her head. When she first had seen Sean she had been furious, but now she was seeing the other side of the picture. She saw the situation as she thought it would be best for Chelsea. Sarah wanted her to have a father, but she had never married after Sean had left. Now Chelsea had the chance to get to know her real father. Maybe Jarod was right and it wasn't too late.

For Chelsea, her decision had to be the best for Chelsea.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker was heading to her father's office. She wanted to know his thoughts about the situation with Marie and Daniel.

When she had first told her father about her inner sense he hadn't taken it very seriously. He had told her to get some rest. Like that would make a difference. But now he suddenly belived it. He belived it so much that he wanted her to talk to Marie.

Suddenly Miss Parker closed her eyes. She felt a pain going through her head and then...she heard laughter. A sweet, quiet laughter. She saw a vision of a little girl playing in a garden. She was wearing a white dress and her brown hair shone when she ran after a beautiful butterfly that she tried to catch. Miss Parker didn't recognize her at first because she was happy and smiling, but when she stopped to take a rest her face turned pale and her eyes looked tired. Now Parker knew, it was Marie.

Parker opened her eyes again. She took a deep breath and turned around. There had to be a reason for her vision. Marie needed her.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod opened the door. He didn't recognize the man that was standing before him, but he could guess. The other man was much more surprised.

"Can I help you?" Jarod asked.

"Is..is Sarah home?"

"No, she's not, but she should be back soon. Come on in," Jarod stood aside to let the man get inside.

"My name is Jarod," he introduced himself.

"Sean, Sean Matthews."

Jarod had guessed right.

"I didn't know Sarah was...living with anybody," Sean felt that every time he got near that house he lost his self-confidence and that the surprises never seemed to end.

Jarod grinned, "I'm just a friend."

They went into the livingroom and Jarod offered Sean a seat.

"Sarah told me about you," Jarod said," she was really upset, but I think she's calming down a little."

"I can't blame her..." Sean took a look around. He noticed a picture of Chelsea...of her daughter on the wall. He stood up and went closer to it.

"Do you have children?" he asked.

"No, no I don't, but maybe some day..." Jarod smiled at the tought. Sometimes it seemed impossible, but sometimes it didn't.

"I just hope that you'll never make the same mistakes. Since the moment I saw Chelsea I knew that I would trade every moment I've had during the last eight years to have just one moment with her as...as her father." He turned away from the picture." She's a beautiful little girl," he smiled.

Jarod and Sean both turned their heads to the door as they heard a noise. Sarah had walked in with Chelsea.

She put down her coat and helped the girl out of hers. She then took her daughters hand and they stepped forward.

"Chelsea, honey, there's somebody I want you to meet," Sarah looked at Sean and her eyes were not full of hate anymore. She had made her decision and she knew it was the right one.

Jarod left them on their own. He took the carkeys and went out. It was something the three of them had to work out on their own.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Marie? Marie can you hear me?"

It was the first time Miss Parker was alone with her. The girl opened her eyes and smiled as she saw a familiar face.

"Miss Parker, they said that you'd come."

Miss Parker tried to remember the vision of her when she had been so happy. It was hard to belive that it was the same girl that now lay before her.

"How did they know?" Parker asked quietly.

"I think they know everything. They know so much more then I do. They tell me not to be afraid," she smiled.

"You are a very special girl, Marie. You know that?" Miss Parker took her little hand. From the moment she had had the vision about her she was weak again. She was just as weak as that girl that lay there.

"I know, they told me. They also say that I don't have to be afraid of what comes next."

What comes next? Parker knew the answer too well.

"They're right. You don't have to be afraid. I'll be here with you."

The girl smiled again. She had done that a lot since she had met Parker.

"They told me that you were sad when your mother died and that you still are. They said that you think you're alone, but you really aren't."

That was coming from a seven years old? She really was special. Parker hadn't doubted that her voices were real for a second and now they were talking about her soul.

"I'm not alone, I have my father and my brother..." Parker stopped, Marie had always been so honest and for some reason she felt like she had just lied.

"You should get some rest now. Remember what Daniel said, you need to rest."

Marie nodded weakly. She closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep.

Parker didn't move for couple of moments. She was processing everything what the girl had said.

Suddenly she remembered her dinner with Daniel. She had to get ready.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sarah looked at the expression on her daughter's face. Chelsea was confused. Her mother had told her that every girl and every boy had a father and that she did too. She had never heard about her father before, her mother had never wanted to talk about it, she had always just said that daddy was gone.

"Honey, do you understand me?" Sarah looked into Chelsea's eyes.

Now her mother had told her that the man who was standing in the room with them was her father. The same man she had met once before. She did understand that, but she had no idea what to do about it.

"Chelsea, there are some things that I can't explain to you yet, but I will when you grow older," said the man who was coming closer to her, said...daddy. Chelsea looked at him. He was her father? Her father? She had never had a father before. She knew that children loved their fathers and she had to love hers.

For the first time she smiled. She had a father! She looked at her mother and then at her father. Her family. She smiled again. She let go of her mothers hand and moved closer to the man. He was crying, tears fell from his eyes, but he was happy. He gave her his hand and she took it.

Sean gave the girl a hug. It was the moment he had been talking about earlier with Jarod. It was the moment he felt as...as a father.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *