Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the characters used in this story. They belong to the creators of the Pretender etc… no harm intended!

Authors Note: Hey there, I just wanna say there is some minor use of language and violence in this story but nothing too bad. I wrote it years ago and had a couple more in the works but never got around to finishing them, making this my first and only fanfic… enjoy!


Common Ground
By Carol



Miss Parker sat reclined at her desk chair in her Centre office; scotch glass almost empty and held loosely in her fingers. The voices of her inner sense echoed in her mind "He knows all the answers."

"Who knows?" Miss Parker whispered quietly to herself.

But her concentration was disrupted as soon as Sydney entered the room with a large smile on his face.

"What's the geeky smile for Syd?"

Sydney didn't reply, instead he stepped out of the doorway allowing Broots to walk into the room.

Miss Parkers face lit up "Broots you lovable goof! Where have you been?"

"Well where do I begin..." Broots started."...First I was arrested by Jarod who showed up at Tommy Thomson's house when you sent me there. Then he made up this lame story to get me out of spending the rest of my life in prison, and next thing I know we are on the run from the police and driving to the Opera!"

Miss Parker interrupted - "The Opera?"

"I believe that's where the Swedish ambassador was holding her reception when Alex tried to shoot her." Sydney explained.

"Oh I see…" Broots begun again - "Anyway Jarod and I started talking…well I did most the talking, he kept on telling me to shut up! But you know me Miss Parker, I talk when I get nervous! And quite frankly I had a lot to be nervous about! I spent a rough night in the 'Hole' as Jarod called it, and I think I made best friends with an in mate called 'Rocky' who I hope I never see again!"

Sydney and Miss Parker exchanged glances and quietly laughed to one another as Broots continued on with his story.

"So I'm talking about all that's happened with Alex and how he kidnapped your father, then quick as a flash Jarod pulls off to the side of road and yells at me to get out!…I've spent the last 4 days hitch- hiking trying to keep low key, I just got back into Blue Cove an hour ago."

"Well it sounds like you had yourself quite an adventure." Miss Parker said still laughing.

"Miss Parker this was left for you." Sydney announced, changing the topic of conversation as he handed her an envelope.

Upon opening the envelope Miss Parker found a picture of Mr. Parker and herself, only the face of Mr. Parker had been erased and a question mark put in its place.

" What is it Parker?" Sydney enquired.

Disturbed by the picture Miss Parker sighed - "Oh, it just another one of Jarods games…reminding me that the man who my whole life I was lead to believe was my father, may not be man I think he is!"

Broots looked confused - "Miss Parker?"

"I will fill you in later Broots…for now I think we leave Miss Parker alone." Sydney said as he led Broots out of her office. Miss Parker sat back down in her chair and with one mouth full finished off the rest of her alcohol.


*************************************



At 9pm that night Jarod, Major Charles, Ethan and Emily arrived at a country style bed and breakfast in Dry River, Arizona. The next day held some significance for the foursome, so as soon as they were all settled in they decided to call it a night.

The next day in the early light of morning, Jarod led his dad, brother and sister through a maze of tombstones at a local cemetery in Dry River.

"Over here." Jarod said grimly as he halted in front of a small granite tombstone that read:

KYLE
"Through death he gave life -
Rest in peace"



"Hey little brother." Jarod sobbed, "I have some very special people here to see you."

Jarod wiped the tears away from his face and placed a bouquet of white roses on Kyle's grave. Major Charles and Emily then stepped forward - tears welling in both their eyes.

"Hello son, I'm sorry this is only the second time I have been here …but Jarod told me all about how you saved that lady and her un- born baby, how you stopped Lyle from cutting off Jarods thumb, and…."

Major Charles' voice quivered as he let his emotions get the better of him "…. And how you jumped in front of that bullet to save Jarods life. I also know how your heart lives on in a young boy, who today I have the privilege of meeting. So Kyle, I want you to know that although I never got the chance to get to know you well… I don't think I could be more prouder of you my son."

Major Charles composed himself and sighed as he took a step back to join Jarod and Ethan.

Emily knelt down in front of Kyle's grave.

" I, I don't really know what to say. I never got the chance to get to know you at all, but one thing I do know is that you loved your family…you held onto the hope of being reunited and it was that hope that led you to find Jarod. I just wish you were here to hear me say these words…"

A tear rolled down her face as she kissed her hand and placed it upon Kyle's tombstone - "I love you brother."

Emily rose to her feet as Jarod and Major Charles embraced her, the trio taking comfort in each other's presence.

At this time Ethan had walked over to Kyle's grave, he could hear the inner sense voices speaking to him - "He was troubled, hurt, very angry!… haunted by his past!"

Jarod, Major Charles and Emily broke free from their huddle.

"Yes, yes he was." Jarod replied softly.

"Raines made him vengeful, like me…but he had a good soul, it just became clouded that's all. You, you gave him the courage to let go of the anger Jarod, you made him see that he could do good…just like you taught me."

Jarod walked over to Ethan and placed a hand on his shoulder "I’m glad you're here Ethan."


*************************************



"Hey sis!"

"Urgh… Lyle! Every time you call me that my skin crawls!" - Parker moaned as Lyle caught up with her in a Centre hallway.

"Anything on Jarod?" He enquired.

"No, but I will keep you posted… not!" – She said grinning at her sarcasm and begun to walk away.

"What about dad?"

Miss Parker stopped abruptly and slowly turned to face Lyle - "What about dad?... I don't know who our father is Lyle, so how can I possibly answer that question!"

"Oh come on now Parker, you’re telling me you’re going to let a pretender turned sociopath like Alex lead you to believe that Mr. Parker isn't our father? ….You can't be serious!"

"When it comes to my family, the Centre, and its trail of lies…." - Miss Parkers tone of voice turned blunt and her icy stare fixated on Lyle - "…. I'm deadly serious."

Lyle felt slightly uneasy with the seriousness of the words with which Miss Parker spoke and begun to massage his still newly attached thumb.

Parker relaxed her stare and tone of voice - "I don't know who to believe anymore… and as for the man who claims to be our father, he got out of Centre intensive care two days ago but is still under observation … you know Lyle, if you believe that he is our father and you’re worried about him, shouldn't you know all this?"

Lyle smirked at Miss Parker, turned, and then walked away. He knew all to well that Alex may be right, and wondered to himself how this might affect his power when it came to his position at the Centre.

At that moment Miss Parker's cell phone started to ring -

"What!"

"Miss Parker." - It was Jarod.

"So where are you today?" she asked playfully… Jarod laughed at her smugness.

"Hmm, wouldn't you like to know!"

"Any idea yet on who e-mailed us the picture of our mothers together?"

"No, not yet, hows your fath..." Jarod paused as he realised what he was about to say - "Uh hmm… Mr. Parker?"

"He was released from intensive care two days ago, he’s still out of it though and under observation in the Centre infirmary."

"How are you holding up?"

"Jarod." Miss Parker sighed - "I have no idea who to believe anymore, and I feel as if I don't even know who I am at all!"

"Welcome to the club." Jarod muttered tiredly.

"Oh, by the way… thanks for the photo!" Miss Parker snapped.

"What photo?"

'Oh come on genius don't play dumb with me, its such a cliché for you!"

"I assure you, I sent you no photos! Anyway, keep on searching for those answers to your past Miss Parker. If your father isn't the man Alex said he is, who knows what secrets he has kept hidden from you."

The sound of the dial tone rang in Miss Parker's ear. Jarod had raised a good point… her mind raced through all sorts of possible secrets that Mr. Parker may have kept hidden from her, one of the most important being who was her real father?


**********************************


Back in his room at the bed and breakfast, Jarod sat down with his family and listened with a smile on his face as Major Charles talked of his days as a pilot and Emily and Ethan spoke of their childhoods. Emily also answering questions that Jarod had about their mother - "She would tell me all about my two brothers and every night we would pray together that they would come back to us. Now, finally, my prayers have been answered - and on top of that I have been blessed with another brother I didn't even know I had."

Emily looked across the table at Ethan and smiled at him, Ethan warmly returned the expression.

"I'm just sorry that Kyle..." Jarod started.

Emily interrupted him - "Jarod don't be sorry. I know Kyle was a great man, let's not taint his memory with sorrow."

Jarod slowly nodded his head in silent agreement.

"So now what?" Ethan asked.

"Well…" Jarod began "…let's see if we can answer mum's prayers too."

"Jarod..." Ethan spoke softly - "I have had a great time with you, and it's been great spending time with my father and one of my sisters… but I still have another brother and sister out there who I think may need my help in solving the questions of their past. I, I would also like to learn how to develop my inner sense."

Jarod, Major Charles and Emily looked to each other as if trying to find the right words to say between them. None of them wanted Ethan to leave but knew they had to let him find out more about the other side of his family tree.

Finally, Jarod spoke up - "We understand Ethan, just…"

"Be careful son." Major Charles interrupted.

"Yes." Jarod said insistently - "Especially around Lyle, he may be your brother but who knows what he is capable of."

"I will. Thanks for your support and everything you all have done for me …it's good to know I can call you guy's family."


**************************************


"Miss Parker!" Broots said hurriedly.

"What is it Broots?"

"I think I may know where Jarod is!"

Miss Parker looked at him suspiciously - "How?"

"Well think back Miss Parker, where were we around this time 3 years ago?"

Miss Parker paused … "Nope, sorry you've lost me Broots, where were we?"

"Ok I will give you hint - I decide who lives or dies." He said eagerly, waiting to see if Miss Parker would pick up on his clue.

"Kyle?… My god - has it been 3 years already since Lyle shot him?"

"Uh huh, it's actually been 3 years since he died today. I was going to tell you yesterday but I didn't want to disturb you… Syd told me what happened. I'm sorry Miss Parker, I had no idea that Mr. Parker may not be your father."

Miss Parker had become agitated at the whole subject of who her father was. It was all she had been thinking about and for now she just wanted to forget about it - "Broots I appreciate your concern, but can you just cut to the chase before my head explodes!"

"Oh, Ok, sorry Miss Parker I just though that maybe you might…"

"Broots!" Miss Parker yelled - rapidly losing her patients.

"Ok, Ok, sorry! …I looked into the funeral records, especially those around Dry River Arizona - the place we all were when Lyle shot Kyle - and I found that 4 days after Kyle died a funeral was held for a man in his early 30's at a local cemetery and was paid for by a Jarod Barber… that ain't no coincidence! Jarod must of wanted Kyle buried…"

Miss Parker interrupted - "Somewhere close to JR… the little boy who Jarod donated Kyle's heart too."

"Exactly. Do you think Jarod would go there to commemorate his little brother? You think he still may be there?"

"I don't know, but it's worth the trip to find out. Organize to get the Centre jet ready Broots…we're going back to Dry River."


********************************



By 2:30pm that afternoon Jarod, Major Charles, Emily and Ethan had spent a few hours with JR and were all feeling content about the experience. Ethan had decided that he would catch a flight taking him to Delaware to be with Miss Parker and Lyle that afternoon, while the other three planned to stay in Dry River one more night.

"Take care." Jarod said as he hugged Ethan goodbye in the car park of the bed and breakfast.

"Jarod don't worry about me, I'll be fine. I better go before I miss my flight." Ethan replied patting Jarod on the back.
Ethan then hugged Major Charles and Emily, said his goodbyes once more and climbed into the airport taxi waiting for him, as Jarod, Major Charles and Emily headed back into their room.


*********************************



"Where are you going?" Lyle asked as Miss Parker, Broots and Sydney were just about to board onto the Centre's jet.

"None of your business Lyle, go crawl back under whatever rock it was you came out from under upon!"

Lyle ignored Miss Parker's insult - "You have something on Jarod don't you?"

"No, not at all - we're just taking the jet for a joy ride!" She snapped.

"Great! I love joy rides, I'm coming with you." Lyle replied with a smile and begun to step aboard the jet.

Miss Parker laughed slowly - "Ahh, no you’re not!" - She placed her arm over the entrance to jet’s doorway stopping Lyle from boarding.

"Ahh, yes I' am!" - Lyle retorted and pushed her arm out of the way and hopped on board.

Grunting in utter frustration Miss Parker turned to face Sydney and Broots. Sydney shrugged his shoulders and smiled at her, he found amusement in their constant bickering while Broots shifted his gaze elsewhere, not daring to make eye contact with Parker while she was obviously angry.

At that moment Lyle popped his head back out the jet’s door - "Are you three coming?" He said sounding impatient.

Miss Parker’s eyes widened with fury - he really knew how to make her blood boil. She stepped aboard the jet and drew parallel to Lyle - staring him down in her stilettos - "Stay the hell out of my way." She whispered coldly in his ear before she strode to her seat.

Lyle always took pleasure in annoying Miss Parker, and as she threatened him he stood amused with a sly smile drawn across his face.


*************************************



The time was 8pm; Jarod, Emily and Major Charles had finished dinner at a local diner in Dry River and walked back to their room at the bed and breakfast just a couple blocks away.

"Well…" Major Charles started as he entered the room after Jarod and Emily – but they had both paused as soon as they had stepped through the door - "…What is it?" The Major enquired, noticing they had both stopped suddenly.

"It’s time for Jarod to go." Miss Parker announced. She had been standing behind the front door and closed it behind her as soon as all three had entered the room. Major Charles now saw why Jarod and Emily had stopped so quickly, as Lyle, Broots, Sydney and three sweepers were in direct view from the doorway.

Miss Parker, the sweepers and Lyle all having their guns drawn.

"Well Jarod, it looks like we have a case of deja vu on our hands..." Lyle said as he pointed his gun to Emily - "…Are you going to let another sibling die here in Dry River?"

"You bastard!" Jarod screamed as he charged for Lyle, but his rampage was short lived as Sam and Willie were quick to pounce on him - pinning his arms behind his back while the other sweeper detained Major Charles.

Lyle continued on with his power trip and walked slowly over to Emily - "Remember me?" He whispered cold bloodily into her ear. Emily remembered him all to well and shuddered at the memory of him pushing her from her office window.

"You bastard! Leave her alone!" Jarod yelled again. He had become crazed by Lyle's remarks and tried desperately to break free from the grasp of the sweepers.

"Lyle!" Sydney shouted - "That's enough!"

Lyle looked over to Sydney who had also become infuriated by his callous words.

"Oh settle down Syd, I was just trying to stir up boy genius." Lyle replied as he withdrew the aim of his gun upon Emily.

"Take Jarod to the car." Miss Parker instructed Sam and Willie who begun to drag Jarod outside.

"What about the other two?" The third sweeper asked.

"Miss Parker let them go…please!" Jarod pleaded, still squirming under the hold of the sweepers who forced him out the door.

"I only came here for Jarod." She replied.

Miss Parker then nodded her head, gesturing toward the bathroom. The sweeper understood her motion and proceeded to push Emily and Major Charles into the bathroom and locked the door behind them.

Outside, Jarod was being hustled into a black town car as Lyle, Broots, Miss Parker and Sydney looked on.

"Sydney please!… don't let them do this, not again Sydney!……please…." Jarod begged - tears of anger and desperation welling in his eyes.

Sydney didn't respond to Jarods pleas for help. All his life he had felt guilty and responsible in many ways for the abduction and imprisonment that had become Jarods life. However, like so many times before Sydney was outweighed by the 'powers that be', and although he may have felt guilty, he secretly missed Jarods company and being able to have him in close proximately - even if it did always weigh on his conscious.


***********************************



Forty-five minutes later the Centre crew and Jarod were air born and heading back to Blue Cove. Sydney sat next to Jarod who had been handcuffed to the seat.

"Jarod I'm sorry." Sydney spoke softly.

Jarod didn't reply to Sydney's apology, he felt betrayed by the man who all his life he had seen as a father figure.

"Jarod please… talk to me."

Finally, Jarod responded - "So this is it Sydney, this is how you want me to live my life?" - Jarod gestured to his cuffed hands - "You of all people is going to let this happen!" He paused - "…I trusted you."

The last sentence rubbed salt into the wounds of Sydney's guilt. He had always taken pride in the knowledge that Jarod trusted him.

"You can still trust me, more than ever it's important now that you trust me Jarod. What could I have done back there? - I was out numbered, tell me what could I have done."

Miss Parker came and sat down across from the two and interrupted their conversation - "Enjoying the flight Jarod?" she questioned with a toothy smile. Jarod kept quiet, only glaring briefly at her before returning his stare back out the window, revolted by how much enjoyment she found in taking away his freedom.

"Oh, I've upset the genius." She mocked - false sympathy echoing in her voice.

Jarod still gazed out the window; he didn't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing just how much she could hurt him. Instead he clenched his jaw and remained silent.

Realising Jarod wasn't in the mood to play - Miss Parker decided to give it a rest and reclined into her seat. At that moment Broots sat down next to her - "We have to stop to refuel, I just heard it from Lyle." He announced.

"What?!" Miss Parker roared - "Great! Just what I needed to hear! … incompetent morons." She huffed - "How long will it take Broots?!"

"It's going to add another two hours to our flight."

"Well that’s just super isn’t it!" Miss Parker growled- unable to contain her anger.

Jarod couldn't help but smile at her aggravation and the possibility of escape that the stop over presented him with. However his amused reaction didn’t go unnoticed by Parker - "Oh, laugh it up now Jarod!…" She encouraged - "…Because it won't last long once you’re back at the Centre being zapped by car batteries and playing guinea pig again!"

Jarod stopped smirking immediately.

Lyle walked over to the four of them - "So I take it Broots informed you all about our little stop over? I'd soak it in if I were you Jarod, it's the last couple of hours of freedom you'll ever get - ‘cause once you walk through those Centre doors you ain't ever getting out again. You know I've put a nice sign up in your cell… wanna know what it says?"

Jarod slowly turned his head and shifted his gaze to Lyle - "…Enlighten me …" He mumbled, the scowl on his face obvious.

"It says 'home sweet home." Lyle teased - chuckling at his own juvenile sense of humour.

Jarod wriggled uncomfortably in his seat. Lyle's jokes did nothing to help he hopes of fleeing. He sat in silence and pondered over potential plans of escape as the jet descended for landing.


************************************



The three sweepers, Lyle, Sydney, Broots and the pilot stepped off board the jet once it had landed. Sydney was the last one to leave and deliberately left some Centre files bound together by a paper clip in front of Jarod. The only problem was Miss Parker wasn't letting Jarod out of her sight. She decided to stay on the jet to keep an eye on him. There was no way she was going to let him get away again, not when she was this close to finally bringing him back to the Centre.

"I need to use the bathroom." Jarod whispered to her as she began to raid the mini bar on board.

"What?!" Parker responded, not quite catching what he had said.

"You know…nature calls..."

"Well don't answer!" She blurted out - "You're not moving outta that seat wonder boy!"

"Come on Miss Parker… Please."

"Read my lips N-O! … I'm serious Jarod, you can piss your pants for all I care - I've seen the movies and they always escape when they use the bathroom excuse! How stupid do you think I am?! …You're not moving!"

Damn! ‘Plan A’ wasn’t going to work. Jarod had to admit, it was a pretty poor excuse and lacked originality. He had to try something different. He watched Miss Parker as she paced back and forth the aisle of the jet taking big swigs of her alcohol.

"Can I have one of those?" He asked her, nodding to her almost empty glass.

"You don't like alcohol!"

"Never really tried it.” He lied. Jarod had tried drinking a few times since escaping the Centre and would have one or two on occasion, however it wasn’t something he was particularly fussed on.

He took a moment and sighed - "… It’s just by the looks of things drowning my sorrows before I go back to the Centre sounds like a pretty good idea. Plus I don't have to move either … C’mon Miss Parker, how about it?" – He pleaded, hoping she would buy his act.

Parker thought for a moment, then, slowly, a smile grew on her face - "Ok Jarod." She said slyly - "…Actually that's a great idea." She continued - "We can celebrate with a toast…to your capture… may it be long and miserable!" She laughed wickedly.

Parker's words made Jarod sink into his chair. He hated how she could be so cold, so cut off towards him. Hadn’t we been friends once? He questioned himself. Once, he could remember… but once was a lifetime ago now. Now, she said things like that, things she knew played on his insecurities, his fears.

Regardless, Jarod shook the thought quickly. Now wasn’t the time - he needed to focus.

Parker had turned to the mini bar and was busy putting ice into two glasses which gave Jarod the opportunity to grab the paper clip from the files Sydney had left in front of him. He un-wound the paper clip and twisted it into the lock of the cuffs. After rotating it into a suitable position he heard the click of the cuffs unlocking and with another quick look over to Parker quietly removed them from his wrists.

As Parker walked back over to him he placed his hands in the same position he had, had them in when they were restrained. When she leaned across him to place his drink down Jarod saw what he was looking - her gun in the holster that she kept to the side of her waist. Now was his only chance and in one fluid movement he lunged at her - grabbing the gun and then quickly stepping behind her to throw his right arm with gun in hand across her shoulder and with his free hand pin her left arm behind her back – effectively overpowering her after a short scuffle.

"Move." He demanded bluntly, forcing her roughly towards the jets open door.

Outside, Lyle could see Miss Parker and Jarod in the entrance of the jets doorway - "Parker! What's going on?!" He shouted to her and begun running towards the aircraft.

"Close the door!" Jarod yelled at her.

"Go to hell!" She replied, struggling against him.

Lyle was closing in on the jet fast. Jarod didn't have time for Miss Parker's stubbornness and in a reflex reaction fired three shots outside the doorway – forcing Lyle to run for cover.

Miss Parker flinched in shock from Jarods spontaneous response.

"I said close the door!" He shouted again, giving her a slight shove.

Miss Parker sensed Jarod was desperate, it was evident through the way he was treating her. She knew he would never intentionally harm her unless something of absolute importance was bordering on the line - like his freedom. She believed in this kind of situation Jarod could be capable of almost anything if it meant escaping the Centre so decided not to test his patients any further - "Alright, alright!" She screamed back at him.

Jarod quickly loosened his grip on her left hand and allowed her to close the door.

Outside, the two men responsible for refuelling had aborted the task as soon as Jarod had fired the three shots. They immediately packed up their gear and drove the fuel tanker away from the jet in case the shooting started up again. It was perfect from Jarods point of view, even if they hadn't got a third of the way through refuelling the jet - but that was something he would have to worry about once he got up in air. For now his only focus was escaping, even if Miss Parker would be on board with him, which was also another fun issue he would have to deal with later on.

"Sit!" Jarod instructed her, as he made their way into the cockpit and pushed Miss Parker into the co- pilot's seat. He then turned and locked the door from the cockpit to the cabin, fastened the safety trigger on her gun, and pulled out the magazine - putting them in the pocket of his jacket and out of Parker’s reach.

"I suggest you put your seat belt on Miss Parker!"

Parker gave Jarod a filthy look, but did as he suggested.

Jarod exhaled deeply as he started up the jet and begun docking at the end of the tarmac, preparing for take off.

By this time the rest of the Centre team joined Lyle on the runway. They could only watch helplessly as Jarod and Miss Parker ascended into the night sky - the only person smiling about Jarods escape being Sydney.


********************************



"So now what!" Miss Parker growled at Jarod.

"Shhhh! Let me think!" He roared back at her.

"Ha, think! For a genius that doesn't come easily to you does it?! You know I thought it was actually a good thing to have fuel in a jet when you’re thousands of feet in the air you brainless moron! - You've literally taken the word 'ironic' to new heights!"

Jarod looked across at Miss Parker and half smiled at her - slightly amused by her sarcasm.

"Look, it will be alright. Just calm down Miss Parker." Jarod said softening his tone.

"Alright? Calm down? Like that'll happen! We're flying over the vast middle of a mountainous nowhere with no fuel and its pitch dark outside! Sure, everything's gonna be just peachy Jarod!"

"Hey, I'm certain I can land us safely, believe me… we'll be ok." - He responded, speaking even more gently than before.

Miss Parker took a deep breath - "Yeah, well focus!" She spoke through clenched teeth - "…But remind me to kick your arse when we land!"


***********************************



Back at the airport Lyle was on the phone to one of his sweepers back at the Centre - "I know! He just has this ability to slip right through your fingers! ... He won't get far though, there's hardly any fuel in the jet and if I know Parker…well she'll give him hell! I want any and all reports on plane crashes within a 300klm radius of here, the only thing we can do now is wait till they … land."


*************************************



For the most part of their plane ride Jarod and Miss Parker kept quiet, both a little nervous about the inevitable rough landing they would have to make. Finally the fuel light lit up. Jarod looked around at the mountainous terrain beneath them, he searched for a clearing where it would be safe to land. To his left he barely made out through the darkness their only chance of a possible safe landing - an irregular, ovalish shaped clearing of trees that ran along a creek and was nestled between two mountains.

"There, that's where we are going to land." Jarod pointed out to Parker.

"You've got to be kidding Jarod! You couldn't land a tic tac on that!" She snapped.

"Well can you see anywhere else?"

Miss Parker remained silent.

"I thought not." Jarod replied.

"So now what?" She questioned.

"Well we only have enough fuel to make one attempt at this. I'm going to have to turn around to line up parallel with the clearing from a lengthwise position, it’ll give us more room to land."

Miss Parker nodded as Jarod turned the jet towards the clearing. It was in no time they ready to descend for landing.

Jarod looked over to Miss Parker - "Ok, here we go. I can't guarantee that the landing will be smooth - and we may head into trees…"

"Oh thanks Jarod that's just what I needed to hear!" Miss Parker interrupted him.

"…Sooo…” Jarod continued, ignoring the comment – “… As soon as we touch down, lean forward and crouch down as low as possible in your seat alright."

Miss Parker nodded her head and gripped onto her seat tightly as they descended.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly as they descended, and looked as though they would have plenty of room to land. It wasn’t until they got just above tree level did Jarod see the tree branch hiding in the shadows which protruded out on to their flight path. He instantly turned the jet to right in an attempt to miss the branch but the left wing clipped the thick limb causing the jet to stray diagonally across the clearing - "No…come on, come on!" Jarod muttered as he rapidly lost control of the flight path.

It wasn’t till after the jet smashed through half a dozen trees did it come to a halt.


***************************************



Miss Parker awoke with a groan as her throbbing headache, and few minor cuts to her right shoulder let her know she was indeed alive. She rubbed her forehead and looked across to Jarod who was still unconscious - but breathing and suffering from a head wound. "Nice landing fly boy!" She mumbled sarcastically under her breath. She watched Jarod closely, hoping he wouldn't come to before she got the chance to attain her gun again. Slowly she stepped over to him, he was slumped back in his seat and on the inside of his jacket she could see her gun hanging out of his pocket. She reached over and placed her hand into his jacket, trying hard to touch his chest as little as possible so as not to accidentally wake him into consciousness. Finally, with a great deal of care, she removed her gun from Jarods possession and immediately placed the magazine back inside it and released the safety trigger. She smiled - control was hers.


**************************************



Jarod woke up a little dazed due to the large cut to his head. Dawn was breaking through the darkness as he found himself outside of the plane and leaning up against a tree -"Where'd you get your pilots licence from? - A box of pop tarts!?" He heard Parker's voice snap from behind him.

"No, it was actually a packet of PEZ." He replied nonchalantly as he inspected the cuffs on his wrists… not surprised to be wearing them again.

"Yeah, figures." Miss Parker mumbled as she walked over to him carrying a first aid kit that she had salvaged from the jet. She knelt down next to Jarod and opened it- grabbing a wad of cotton balls and tipping a rather large amount of Iodine onto it. Jarod remained still as Miss Parker dabbed the solution into his cut - clenching his jaw as he waited for the stinging to subside.

"Are you hurt anywhere else?" Miss Parker asked him - "No - not that I can tell. But if it turns out I am I’ll be sure to keep it to myself!" He answered - reeling from the use of Miss Parkers large amount of Iodine.

Parker smirked at his reply - "So, do you have any idea where the hell we are?" She questioned seriously.

"Yes…we’re in the mountains!" Jarod responded.

"Oh that's cute Jarod! I'm glad you think this is funny! Everything is always a game with you - this is serious! If you hadn't of snapped and gone all crazy we wouldn't be in this mess!"

"Hey! Wait a second!" Jarod yelled at Miss Parker, cutting her off instantly - "This isn’t my fault! If you would leave me alone, neither of us would be here! If anyone is to blame it certainly isn't me!"

"No!" Miss Parker retorted, pointing her finger at him - "If you had stayed at the Centre, where all your kind belong, I wouldn't have to spend 24 hours a day chasing after you and I could actually have a thing called my own life!"

"My kind huh? … Your own life?! What about giving me a chance at a life Miss Parker! Since I can remember I have lived my life for somebody else, doing whatever they told me to do! I lived my life in fear, the fear that I would never get out of that place … never see my family again! …And then when I finally get the chance to live my own life, you want to take it away from me! … How can you justify what you do Miss Parker? - Tell me, how?!" - Jarod said pausing and shaking his head in disgust - "…You believe you're missing out on a life when I haven't even been able to begin one! If you'd just walk away we could both get on with our own lives!

Raged, Miss Parker glared long and hard at Jarod who gazed back at her with the same intensity in his eyes…

"Jarod I can't just walk away, you know it's not that simple." Miss Parker said calming down - "There's no way Raines and my father, I mean Mr. Parker - or whoever the hell he is, would let me! … Believe me, I want this over as much as you do."

Jarod sighed as he eased backup against the tree and remained silent. He felt guilty a little for the way he had spoken to Miss Parker. In ways she was right - he knew that. He knew there were powers at play that she could not control, and after seeing what these "PTBs" were capable of (like Miss Parker had also seen) he knew she wasn't really the one to blame.


*************************************



At the Centre, Lyle was already back in his office awaiting word on Jarod and Miss Parker.

It took less than an hour before Willie walked into the room -"Mr. Lyle we've found them."

"Where?"

"We were able to intercept a signal from the jet and it seems they’ve crashed in a small valley located in the Appalachians."

"Well get the Centre chopper ready. I want to get there before they are able to make contact with any search and rescue teams."

Willie nodded and hurried out of Lyle's office.

Lyle sighed as he sat down in his chair and picked up the photo from his desk that he had received two days before hand. He stared blankly at it as he tried to figure out who would of sent it to him.

Angelo watched him from within a vent in the walls and held the same picture in his hand that Lyle possessed …it was the photo of Mr. Parker that Miss Parker had also been sent.

"Lyle confused." Angelo whispered quietly to himself.


*****************************************



"Get up!"

"What?!"

"I said get up! We're leaving." Miss Parker repeated as she grabbed at Jarods jacket and hauled him to his feet.

"Huh? Why?!" He questioned, hesitating to walk.

"Because we’re getting nowhere sitting here!"

"No! I don't understand!" Jarod argued, breaking free from the grip Miss Parker had on his arm. "We are safe here, we have shelter here…why would you want to leave? It’s going to be a lot easier for a rescue team to find us if we stay with the plane Miss Parker! Did you try radioing for help?"

"Jarod what do you think I' am! Of course I tried, but the damn thing’s fried!"

"Let me look at it, let me see if I can fix it, because I strongly believe we should stay here!"

"And I strongly believe we should leave, so get moving!" Miss Parker insisted, pulling her gun out to let Jarod know she meant business - "Besides, if a search team finds us, I lose you! …Now come on!" She said waving her gun at him - "I saw a ranger's tower not too far from here when you were making your so called landing! - We make it to the station, I radio the centre, and wallah! We're outta here!"

Jarod looked at Miss Parker and sighed angrily in frustration. He couldn't believe she was willing to risk the best chance they had of being found just so she could haul his arse back to the Centre. He stumbled forward as she forced him along. She then quickly bent down and picked up an air sickness bag she had packed with the first aid kit, a flare and a couple of bags of peanuts. She also pocketed a few small bottles of alcohol that she had managed to salvage from the mini bar.

"Right, I think we’ve got all the essentials we need to survive a day in the woods."

"Yeah, because I'm sure alcohol is going to be vital for survival in the half day it will take to get there." Jarod responded bluntly.

"Will be for me! Plus if we run out of Iodine what else are we going to use to clean that head wound of yours!" Parker replied with a smirk.

"Nothing. I think I'd rather just take my chances than have you play nurse again." Jarod mumbled as he was led away from the jet and into mountains.


*************************************



The time was 8:30am as Broots rushed towards Sydney in one of the many foyers of the Centre - "Sydney." Broots whispered with an anxiousness in his voice -"It's Jarod and Miss Parker!" - He looked around to see that no one that no one had heard him - "Lyle knows…" He said pausing as he watched Lyle walk out of his office from across the hall - "Umm…Lyle knows where they are." He said whispering even softer than before.

"Well, where are they?" Sydney asked.

"It seems they’ve crashed in the Appalachians…Lyle’s getting the Centre chopper ready now."

"Then we must hurry Broots. If anyone is to bring in Jarod I want it to be Miss Parker and Miss Parker only."

"Oh, me too Syd!… Who knows what Lyle would do after Jarod shot at him!"

"Let's not wait long enough to find out!" Sydney exclaimed.


**********************************



Miss Parker and Jarod had been on the move for three straight hours before Miss Parker stopped - "Hold it Jarod, let's take a minute."

Miss Parker sat down on a log next to the creek that they’d been using as a guide to get to the station. Jarod walked to the water and knelt down - scooping it up with his hands he splashed it onto his face and through his hair. He then sat down to join Miss Parker - " Do you think we will ever find out the truth?" He questioned.

Miss Parker drew a breath - "I don't know Jarod - that is the million dollar question. There are so many secrets to our pasts and such a disturbing Centre history that surrounds it all… I hate remembering how they took away the life that made me so happy … the life I had before my mother died.”

Jarod paused a moment after hearing what Miss Parker had, had to say - "I wish I could remember the life I had before the Centre took me away from my family - and what Alex said about me having no idea why I'm so important to the Centre has me confused. What benefit can they possibly gain from me if not from my pretender skills?"

"You know things Jarod. You cause waves within the Centre in searching for the answers about who you are… about who we all are, and about what happened to my mother."

"Doesn't that indicate something to you Miss Parker?” Jarod said turning to face her – “Don't you see that whatever it is they keep from us must be vital to unlocking our pasts and who we are. Don’t you want to know what happened to your mother or who your real father is? Because if you do, you gotta fight the PTB’s. They have the control, but if we can find the answers to the secrets and lies they have kept hidden from us our whole lives we win Miss Parker… and finally…finally… our lives would be our own to live.

Parker looked across at Jarod as he continued -" That's why I need your help. Please… trust me Miss Parker - don't do this, I know having me back at the Centre is not what you really want to see happen. I go back to the Centre and there's no way we will ever find out the truth to our pasts. They’ll make sure of it."

Miss Parker looked away and closed her eyes. He had a way with words that made it hard to resist his sense of logic - "If you…" He continued.

"Ok! Hold it right there!" She interrupted him - "Enough! I've heard enough!" She screamed - "Your sob story and mind games aren't going to work, not when I'm this close to bringing you home! …Let’s move!"

“Please Miss Parker…” Jarod begun – “…I…”

I said move!” She growled lowly, fury burning her eyes.

Jarod shook his head and exhaled deeply - grunting in frustration at her as they got up again. He needed her trust, and in many ways it was for her own sake. He had always had Parker’s best interests at heart when discovering the secrets of their pasts and couldn't understand why she would rather choose the glory of taking him back to the Centre over the truth.

As they started up the creek again, Jarod heard the faint sound of an aircraft in the distance. His heart skipped a beat at the possibility of freedom. He quickly looked at Parker whose face flashed momentary disorientation as to what to do. It instantly gave Jarod all the information he needed and in that split second he took the chance to run.

"Jarod!” Miss Parker screamed in reflex. She immediately drew her gun and began chasing after him.

Jarod took no notice of Parker and continued running to a small sandy bank where he begun to yell and flail his arms about in the air. As the aircraft grew closer he shouted even louder, it wasn't till the chopper appeared did he wish he hadn't seen it. His heart sank immediately as he saw the black chopper and read N500MV on the side of it…it was the Centre's helicopter - and Lyle was inside.

"Haa! That's something I never thought I’d witness." Lyle said laughing to Willie - seeing that Jarod had tried to get their attention.

Jarod stood frozen until Miss Parker caught up from behind him and felt her gun poking into his side - "You son of a bitch!" She hissed at him - "Looks like you will be going home sooner than expected!"

Jarod kept his back towards her turning only his head as he begun pleading - "Miss Parker please..."

As the chopper closed in on them, Lyle decided to reciprocate Jarods display of shooting at the airport and fired off two rounds from his gun without thinking about the repercussions. One of the bullets hit Jarod in his upper right arm, the other whizzing past Parker. She quickly pushed Jarod into the foliage that lined the creek and took cover with him -"What the?!…" She began - "Get up Jarod!…get up and run!"

Jarod needed no encouragement and got up as fast as he could - trying his best to follow Parker while cradling his wounded arm.

"Mr. Lyle!" - Willie shouted - "What are you doing?!"

"Target practice." Lyle responded with an evil grin on his face -"Relax, I don't want to kill him. I'm just playing."

"It's not Jarod I'm worried about." Willie said slowly.

Lyle's grin disappeared immediately - he bit down on his lip after realising he’d also made the mistake of firing at Parker. He knew he was going to pay for that.

Miss Parker and Jarod ducked and weaved through the thick cover of foliage, the canopy of the trees allowing for them to run unseen from the sky and Lyle.

"Damn it! Lyle yelled - "We're losing them!"


**************************************



By this time, Broots and Sydney had made it to the Appalachians. They had booked a hydro- plane and once they were up in the air had instructed the pilot to do a sweep of the area where Lyle had picked up the Centre's jet signal.

"Do you think we’ll make it in time to find them before Lyle does Sydney?"

"I don't know Broots.” Sydney answered honestly – “Lyle was able to get away quicker than what we were able to. I would say he has at least an hour on us."

At that moment the Pilot interrupted their conversation - "Excuse me gentlemen, but I think I have spotted the jet you are looking for. Do you want me to radio in for help?"

"Umm, no - not just yet. Would we be able to land though?" Sydney replied.

“Sure.” The pilot nodded.

"That's it Syd.” Broots said recognising the Centres jet. “…I hope Jarod and Miss Parker are ok."


***********************************



Lyle ordered the Centre’s chopper pilot Roy to land on the sandy bank where Jarod had tried to get their attention earlier.

"Stay here!” Lyle instructed him over the noise of the chopper – “If Willie and I can't find them within an hour we’ll head back!"


*************************************



Jarod was finding it difficult to keep up with Miss Parker, not only was he shot but being cuffed didn't help his situation - "Miss Parker wait!"

"Come on Jarod! …The helicopter landed, they’re probably right behind us!" Parker insisted as she waited for him to catch up to her.

"How many bullets do you have with you?" Jarod asked, breathing in deeply to catch his breath.

"Enough to put another one in your other arm if you don't hurry up!" Miss Parker said, sighing in annoyance as she pulled the magazine out of her gun and found 3 bullets still left inside.

"Three." She replied.

"I think we should turn around." Jarod suggested.

“What?!” Miss Parker laughed - "This coming from you?! Correct me if I'm wrong, but ten minutes ago weren’t you begging me for your freedom? Now you want to run toward Lyle!.. Did you hit your head again?!"

"I'm not suggesting we go straight towards Lyle – what I’m saying is if he’s out here searching for us it’ll give us better access to the helicopter!"

"Jarod there’s no way I'm turning around and letting Lyle get his hands on you.... you’re my prized hunt, not his!"

"Thanks." Jarod replied sarcastically - less than impressed with her choice of words - "…Listen to me Miss Parker, who do you think would have been on board to pick us up if you had gotten me to the Rangers station? …Look I know you don't want to go anywhere near Lyle, and neither do I - but if we play smart and stay hidden we can do this. Plus…" - Jarod sucked in a breath as he inspected his upper arm - "… This bullet wound isn't going to heal itself... So what's it gonna be Miss Parker?"

Parker's gaze became distant as she thought about her options. However it didn't take her long to nod her head in agreement with Jarods plan – “Ok.” She replied. He was right, Lyle would have been one of the Centre team on board had they gotten to the rangers station - and Jarod would be no good to her if he bled to death.


***********************************



"Well the lights are on, but nobody's home." Broots called to Sydney as he inspected the jet, which still managed to have its tail lights on - "But that's a good sign isn't it Sydney! … It means they must be alright - at least enough to be able to walk away - right Syd? ... Its, it's a good sign."

"It doesn't make any sense!" Sydney said frowning in confusion - ignoring Broots’ rambling.

"What doesn't?"

"Why would they leave? I mean staying with the plane would have been the sensible thing to do, Jarod knows that. It doesn't make any sense!"

"Maybe they had to leave." Broots suggested.

"No, everything they need is right here!"

"Well…" Broots started.

"Well what?" Sydney questioned.

"Well, maybe they went to get water or something Syd… I wonder how Miss Parker is.” Broots said, thinking aloud – “I hope she’s not injured badly.”

“Me too Broots. ” Sydney sighed “- I just hope wherever they are they know what they’re doing.”


*************************************



"Shhhh! What are doing!" Jarod whispered loudly to Miss Parker - "Stay down!"

Miss Parker and Jarod hid in the cover of some bushes located about a hundred meters away from the Centre chopper. Parker was getting inpatient and in her haste got up to make her way over to the chopper. As she stood, a stick snapped underneath her feet – the loud cracking sound echoing through the woods before Jarod got the chance to pull her back down - "Wait! Just wait!" He insisted - " We don't know if Lyle has come back yet."

"He hasn't! It’s just Roy. Now come on!" Miss Parker said rising to her feet again while pulling at Jarods jacket for him to get up with her. But it was too late. As they stood up they heard the clicking of a gun being cocked behind them.

Parker rolled her eyes. Lyle and Willie.... Bastards.

"You make it too easy sis!" Lyle said smiling as he picked up the stick that Miss Parker had snapped under her feet.

“Yeah, well you can take that twig and stick it right up your -”

“Ah, Ah!” Lyle said cutting her off – “Mind the language around Jarod’s sensitive ears.”

“No, let her finish. I’d like to hear it.” Jarod snapped sarcastically.

Lyle simply smirked at both of them as he and Willie began to walk Jarod to the chopper while Miss Parker followed behind in annoyance. She waited until they were a few meters away from the chopper before she pulled out her gun and cocked it, causing Willie and Lyle to stop immediately.

"Parker what are you doing?" Lyle sighed - not surprised she was trying to gain the upper hand.

"Back off little brother! Otherwise I detach that thumb of yours again… permanently!"

"Parker we are both on the same side here, lets just get back to Delaware."

"So do all people shoot at each other if they’re on the same side!"

"Ok, look, I'm sorry about that - but can't we work out our differences after we get Jarod back to the Centre. Come on Parker - play smart!"

"Miss Parker don't trust him." Jarod whispered, leaning across to her. He knew Lyle's words would begin to make sense if he continued on.

"Oh, put a sock in it Jarod!" Lyle snapped as he begun to walk over to Parker who, against her better judgement, lowered her gun.

"See now that wasn't so bad was it?" Lyle said before quickly snatching the weapon out of her possession.

"Screw you Lyle!" She growled, outraged at his deceitfulness.

Lyle ignored her -"Willie get Jarod inside. You’re not going back to the Centre this time braniac…the PTB’s have other plans for you." He said to Jarod, staring him down.

"What!" Miss Parker yelled, getting in the way of Lyle boarding the chopper.

"I'm taking him to more a secure facility." Lyle responded while trying to make his way past her.

"Ahhh, like hell you are!" She snapped, pushing him out of the way. As she shoved Lyle it caused the photo that he had been looking at back at the Centre to fall out of his breast pocket and onto the ground.

"What's this!” Miss Parker raged, recognising the photo immediately - “… Where did you get this!”

"I…" Lyle began.

"Where the hell did you get this!" She repeated.

"It's…I, I…ah received it in the mail a few days ago." Lyle said, stumbling over the words to explain the photo.

"You're lying!" Parker barked.

"Why would I lie?"

"Because you're Lyle - that's why!"

"Believe me Parker, it's the truth…don't tell me you got sent it as well? I thought it was one of Jarods little games." Lyle said glaring over to him.

"No, it wasn't! It seems someone else is toying with us this time." Miss Parker replied as she went to hand Lyle back the picture.

Lyle stepped forward to take the photo from Miss Parker, but as he drew close she deliberately dropped the picture on the ground and smiled slyly at him. Less than impressed with her antics he scowled at her before kneeling down to pick it up - "Do they have a name yet for exactly what is wrong with you?… Because I’d like to know how I got such a bitch for a sister!" He muttered.

"The same way I got such a docile idiot for a brother!" She replied, and with that Parker took the opportunity to strike Lyle hard on the back of the head while he was bent over -"Oldest trick in the book!” She said standing over him as he lay on the ground trying to stay conscious.

Willie immediately reached for his gun, but Jarod was quick to respond - elbowing him in the stomach and face before grabbing his gun and joining Parker.

"Get in!!" She instructed the Pretender as they headed for the chopper.

"Get out!" She screamed to Roy at gunpoint, who without hesitation got out of their way.

"Come on Jarod get this thing in the air!" Parker said rushing him.

"I' m going as fast as I can!" He replied, frantically flicking a few switches.

Within moments of hopping into the chopper Jarod and Miss Parker were airborne again. As they climbed skyward Miss Parker stuck her head out the passenger window - “…By the way…” She shouted out to her twin brother – “…Whatever the name for my diagnosis - I believe the word 'Lyle' is mentioned in it somewhere!" She snapped with a smirk.

Lyle looked up at her with a snarl before groggily rising to his feet defeated.


*********************************



"So what happens from here?" Jarod questioned to Parker.

Miss Parker looked across at him but said nothing as she contemplated what to do next. She stared at the photo of herself and Mr. Parker, which she’d taken from Lyle. Then, as if fading into her thoughts, she heard the voices of her inner sense speaking to her again - and although she was unable to make out exactly what they were saying, the general message was clear.

"Miss Parker, are you ok?" Jarod asked - looking concerned that she seemed so distant.

"The voices." Miss Parker replied.

"Your inner sense?"

"…Yes"

"What are they saying?"

Miss Parker paused and looked at Jarod - " They're telling me…."

"Telling you what?…" Jarod asked eagerly.

Parker sighed - "…They're telling me we both have to get back to the Centre - but you have to trust me Jarod, I know there’s a good reason why we need to be there."

"What! And you expect me to believe that?!" Jarod exclaimed, turning to look at her angrily.

Miss Parker went quite and reached into her pocket pulling out a set of keys. Jarod watched her every motion silently as she leaned across him and unlocked the cuffs on his wrists.

Jarod exhaled - "I…I don't understand." He said softly – quietly confused.

"I don't either Jarod." Miss Parker spoke gently - "But you told me once you trusted my inner sense - and at the moment it's telling me to go to the Centre…trust me... I have a feeling somebody there is expecting us."

Jarod couldn't help but feel taken by Miss Parker's sudden and unexpected behaviour. Her inner sense intrigued him, and if she was telling the truth a trip back to the Centre could prove beneficial. So despite the growing uneasiness in his stomach, Jarod turned the chopper around in the direction of the Centre.


*********************************



Lyle, Willie and Roy all sat on the open bank of the creek- they had all taken off their jackets and loosened their neckties from the heat.

It took an hour and half after Jarod and Miss Parker had left them stranded before they heard the rumbling of the plane Sydney and Broots had hired. The three men stood up and waved their jackets in the air - easily catching Sydney and Broots’ attention.

After the plane landed Sydney stepped out to greet Lyle - "What happened?" He asked with a half a smile on his face - amused that Jarod had obviously managed to escape again.

"Don't ask!" Lyle snapped bluntly as he barged past Sydney and boarded the plane.


*******************************



As Jarod landed on the roof of the Centre he couldn't help but feel a little edgy about what he was about to do. Miss Parker had kept quite through practically the whole trip and he wondered what she was thinking.

As they stepped out of the chopper Miss Parker pulled out her gun again and followed behind Jarod with it pointed at him - she couldn't trust that he wouldn't try and get away.
“Precaution.” She stated, seeing the scowl on Jarod’s face. She wasn’t in the mood for any bullshit if he tried to pull something. Jarod shook his head and sighed - but continued on nonetheless.

For now getting him into the Centre would be easy Miss Parker thought to herself. Mr. Parker was still being looked after in the Centre infirmary, Mr. Raines was god knows where, and there was no way Lyle would have beat them back to the Centre. Still, Parker played it safe, keeping to the many shadows that lead down to a small hallway in one of the lower sublevels of the Centre. It was there out of the darkness they heard a voice -

"I knew you'd come Miss Parker." Ethan whispered - "I'm glad you trusted your inner sense."

"Ethan - I had a feeling it was you." Miss Parker replied.

"What's going on?" Jarod questioned - making sure he kept his voice low.

“It's alright Jarod.” Ethan assured him - “Here, I have something I think you might like to see."

Ethan pulled out a Centre file from inside his jacket - "After getting back into Blue Cove last night I went to Raines' cabin in the woods - he wasn't there but this had been left next to his computer."

Ethan handed over the file to Jarod and Miss Parker.

"What is it?" Jarod asked.

Ethan shrugged - "I don't know what it means. I’m just hoping the reason why Raines had it will help you to put a few of those 'missing pieces' together."

Jarod and Miss Parker both looked confused in response to Ethan's reply as they opened the file.

The bewilderment on their faces deepened when they saw what was inside - the picture of Catherine and Margaret standing next to each other as well as the photo that both Parker and Lyle had been sent.

"What are you suggesting Ethan? … That …" Miss Parker started.

"I'm not suggesting anything Miss Parker." Ethan responded - "I don't know what it means, all I know is that Raines is hiding something.”

“…Raines is hiding a lot of things.” Jarod groaned.

In that instant another voice was heard coming down the hallway - "Angel, Is that you?" - Mr. Parker questioned. He seemed to be in perfect health and was heading straight towards her with two sweepers in tow.

As soon as Ethan heard Mr. Parker he instinctively retreated into the shadows and out of view.

"Daddy?… I thought you were - " Parker began before her so called father cut her off - "Jarod?!” He yelled, after seeing who she was with “…Angel, I will explain my health later! He's getting away!"

Miss Parker turned to see Jarod sprinting down the hallway. He’d fled immediately causing for Parker to quickly pick up the pace with her gun drawn in hot pursuit.

"Dammit!" She muttered.

Jarod ran to the end of the hallway only to find there was no way out, he was trapped. He spun around to see Parker closing in on him - “Please Miss Parker, don’t do this…” He began - “Whatever meaning lies behind those photos is what we’ve been searching for… please, you let me go and we can do this together…"

"Shoot him damn it!" Mr. Parker interrupted from down the hall.

Miss Parker was confused, she longed to know the truth about her mother but the fact that she had Jarod cornered in the clear view of Mr. Parker didn’t leave room for her to question where her loyalties should lie…she couldn't let him walk away, not this time.

"If you won't shoot him then I will!" Mr. Parker said, rapidly loosing his patients with her as he cocked his gun and headed towards them.

"Jarod…” Miss Parker whispered softly - “…I can’t, I'm sorry."

Jarod’s heart sank. The frantic, but disappointed look in his eyes doing nothing to ease Parker’s conscious as Mr. Parker and the sweepers approached.

Seeing Jarod had no way of escape, Ethan immediately jumped into action. He silently followed the team of Centre personnel that was now circled his brother and drew the gun out that had concealed – “Hey!” He shouted - which instantly caught the attention of everyone down the hallway. It was then as Jarods pursuers turned to face Ethan that he aimed his gun at the only fluorescent light that lit the hallway and fired - instantly throwing their surroundings into darkness and giving Jarod the distraction he needed.

"This way!" Ethan called out as Jarod barged past Miss Parker and followed Ethan's voice in the darkness. Mr. Parker and the sweepers fired at will as Jarod's shadowy figure rushed past them and through the door at the other end of the hallway unscathed.

"Run!" Ethan encouraged his older brother- "I came through this way!"

Ethan led Jarod through a maze of doors until they reached a large filing room lined with the Centre files.

"Jarod!" - They heard a voice call from within the walls, it was Angelo.

"Quick!" He said - "No time! Hurry!"

Angelo kicked out the grate to the man-sized vent in which he was hiding - allowing for Jarod and Ethan to climb through and follow behind him.

After running what felt like an eternity, Angelo stopped at an open end of vent and turned to face his two fugitives - "Thankyou Angelo…” Ethan said patting him on the back- “…It was nice to meet you." He finished before quickly passing through the vent.

Jarod then stepped up next to Angelo and turned to face him - "Angelo… I…" He said pausing, unable to find the words to thank his old friend.

Angelo knew Jarod's silence was an attempted thankyou and nodded his head understandingly - "Go!" He urged, smiling.

Jarod returned the expression and briefly hugged him, humbled. He then turned to escape through the vent, Miss Parker and the Centre yet again.


*********************************



Eleven days later Parker, Broots and Sydney found themselves standing out front of a door to a run down old warehouse, two hours outside of Delaware. Once again ready to sift through any cryptic clues that Jarod had left behind for them in his latest lair.

As they opened the door they found themselves surrounded in complete darkness, except for the small illumination coming from a single candle located in the centre of the room. Miss Parker walked over to the candle and picked it up. Attached to the bottom of it was a note addressed to her and written in Jarod's handwriting…

I live my life in the darkest place in the world,
And freedom calls to me everyday - but you,
You still have me held in the shadows.
How I wish you would escape your emptiness and the loyalties
That keep you hidden from the truth.
Release the hurt you keep inside and let's seek the missing pieces
To our pasts together, so we may reside in the sunlight and no longer
Remain prisoners to the shadows of our past dark memories.
Take my hand and let's create a new Centre…
One with a history you will like to remember.



Miss Parker closed her eyes and whispered softly to herself - "It's a nice dream Jarod, really it is…but I'm afraid that's all it will ever be - a dream."

Miss Parker dropped the note and placed the candle back on the ground.

"Let's go." She instructed Broots and Sydney who stood waiting for her by the door.

After the trio left, Jarod stepped out of the shadows in a dark corner of the room and walked slowly into the candlelight, picking up the note he had left for her…

"It doesn't have to be Miss Parker…it doesn't have to be..."


The End.



********************************


Thanks for reading - hope you enjoyed ;)