Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: all characters and related stuffs are the property of NBC and other people who aren't me. I wrote this 'cause I like to and I'm not getting money for it so.. I also don't own the song Hungry Eyes... I'm not sure who does, but it's not me.

Author's Note: Just a quick little fic I wrote after watching My Best Friend's Wedding, the last scene completely reminded me of MP and Jarod so, yes I 'stole' it :o). ** ** is music Enjoy :o)

Say a Little Prayer

by Ambrosia





Staring into space, I hear the music around me, and I see the people, but they don't seem real to me. I'm at my best friend's wedding, part of the wedding party no less, but it still feels like a dream. Well, not really my best friend, Jarod is still out and about making me miserable and driving me crazy, it's Drew's wedding.

She was the only person who's ever fully put up with my crap. All through high school and college, she's been my rock, even though I practically bite her head off very time we talk.

We've had the same up bringing, losing our mothers when we were young and being sent away to boarding school by our fathers. I always thought that we'd never be able to be happy, because of it, but, Drew has managed to get past it, break the cycle and walk away into a happier life.

I'm immensely happy for her, but, I only wish I had the secret as well. Or at least I wish we still had each other the way we used to. I'm lonely, I don't like to admit it, even to myself, I want someone to hold me, the way Jay was holding Drew.

I'm snapped out of my daze by the cell phone's high pitched ringing. I open my purse and take it out, hitting the 'speak' button ready to give my customary greeting.

"What now Jarod?" The words are there, but there's no venom tonight.

"I hope you're having a nice time Miss Parker?"

"Not really," I sigh, glad he called, if only for a small distraction. "But the job of 'Head Bride's Maid' didn't specify I enjoy myself. I've done what I promised her I'd do."

"That's a start, I'm happy for you. I'd be happier if you weren't sitting alone to your table though. Dancing maybe?"

I make a sound, nearly a snort of disbelief, "yeah right, Jarod, dancing and I don't get along so well, you know that."

"Ah, the tragedy," I hear him tease good-naturedly. "She is able, only to dance with but one man. And yet, she is sworn to hunt him down." I smile gently, hating myself for it, but as always he's right. "I can just picture you there, your hair piled up high, a few wisps falling down your neck, your deep burgundy gown - silk of course -, showing off the porcelain white skin," his voice is deep in my ear, 'maybe I already have my 'Jay''.

"You haven't touched your cake, since you're too busy drumming your fingers on the table, probably wishing you could smoke inside." I look up suddenly, 'he can't be here?'

"Looking up, as though you've just smelt fire on the horizon."

"Wait a second Jarod," I interrupt standing to get a better look around the crowded reception hall. "Did you run a SIM on this? How do you know what I'm wearing, and doing and all the rest of it?" I demand, knowing full well that he in't going to tell me.

"Hark, is that a familiar song?" he asks just as 'our' song begins to be played, I can hear him smiling. 'Where is he?'

**I've been meaning to tell you, I've got this feelin' that won't subside**

The first lines of the song we both know so well.

"Are you going to dance Miss Parker?" I know he's here now, it's just a matter of finding him.

**I look at you and I fantasise. Darlin' tonight. Now I've got you in my sights.**

I walk around the dancing couples, all the while his voice in my ear, and that song.

"I can imagine, you're dodging other couples as they get in your way, can't they see the urgency of the matter? Twisting and turning, trying to see everywhere at once, damn, you think, he must be here somewhere."

**With these hungry eyes. One look at you and I can't disguise. I've got hungry eyes. I feel the magic between you and I**

"And then suddenly," he continues, "the crowd parts, and a clear view of the strikingly hansom man you've been looking for is on offer." 'I knew he was here!' "Gasp, what a coincidence, he's on the phone, just like you."

I look him over, in the tuxedo he's even more beautiful then normal. He stands and continues his commentary.

**I want to hold you so hear me out. I want to show you what love's all about**

"Walking towards you with the moves of a dancer trained by the best," he points to me and I smile, remembering how quickly he learned that day, to this song.

**Darlin' tonight. Now I've got you in my sights**

"You watch him approaching, guessing correctly that he is a genius with the ability to become anyone he wants to be, and not caring, tonight you're not at work, you haven't got you're gun, and most importantly," he has reached me now, and he hangs up his cell phone. Taking mine also and hanging it up. Stealing my hand, he kisses the knuckles and a melt a little.

**With these hungry eyes. One look at you and I can't disguise. I've got hungry eyes. I feel the magic between you and I**

"You're much to busy dancing to think about anything else but the music."

Before I know what's happened I'm in his arms, and we're swaying to the music as if we'd never been away from each other.

"And," he whispers, our cheeks gently pressed together, "the guy is way too good to get rid of anyway."

And I laugh, feeling free at last, even if it's just until the music ends. I tighten my grip on his hand, he's my Jay and I'm not going to forget it again anytime soon.

**Now I've got you in my sights. With these hungry eyes. Now did I take you by surprise. I need you to see. This love was meant to be**

We spend the rest of the evening dancing, twirling each other around the dance floor and at times even being applauded for our efforts, though we were showing off for each other.

At the end of the night when we have to part again, for who knows how long this time. He tilts my head and I close my eyes when I feel the soft pressure of his lips on mine.

Retreating after only a moment, he kisses my nose and then my forehead, whispering, "I've got to go."

"I understand, what direction are you headed in, I'll have Broots 'find' you in the opposite," I tell him, trying to make the parting easier.

Exhaling sharply, he takes me in his arms and hugs me hard, "Take care of yourself, and I'll take care of me," he kisses my temple and releases me before I even have a chance to put my arms around him.

"Keep in contact, you have my number on speed dial," he says slipping my phone back into my hand. And then he walks away, without hardly letting me get a word in at all.

"Jarod," I call before he gets out of the door. He turns to look at me expectantly, I smile softly and wave, nodding that this was all I wanted. Turning away from him and walking to the elevator bank.

I'll see him soon enough, but until then, I've got his number.

***The End***

 Well? All feedback is welcome!