Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part one

~~~~~~~

Starting Anew
Part 3


Frayed nerves


She lowered herself into her office chair and leaned back, trying to relax. Closing her eyes, she took several deep breaths.

The meeting had been never ending and boring. One of the kinds she hated most. It wouldn’t have mattered if she hadn’t been present and it wouldn’t have changed the outcome.

Her cell phone rang and she tiredly grabbed it and flicked it open without opening her eyes. “What?” she grumbled.

“Don’t work late tonight. We have to talk.” Jarod’s voice came over the line.

“Ja…,” she started but was interrupted.

“Just don’t stay in the Centre,” he ordered again and then terminated the connection.

Miss Parker frowned and looked at the cell phone in her hand. That had been strange. Something was not right with him. Jarod had sounded different. He had sounded on edge and very agitated.

Miss Parker groaned and then set to do some work. She still had hours to go before it was time to leave. Even though he had asked her to come home early she would have to wait at least another three hours. It was barely after three o’clock.

She grabbed a file lying on her desk and started skipping through it, her mind not really focussed on what she was reading.

~~~~~~~

Jay observed his brother closely.

“What?” Jarod snapped.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to drive?”

“Jay, you have no official license, so yes, I’m sure that you won’t drive,” Jarod replied tensely.

“You know I’m capable of driving,” Jay reasoned.

“I know that but the police officers wouldn’t. And besides, I need something to keep me focussed on something else, otherwise I will do nothing but think about that file,” Jarod said.

“As if driving would keep you from that but ok, suit yourself,” Jay backed off, knowing that he would get nothing out of an argument in the state Jarod was in right now.

The rest of the ride was made in silence.

~~~~~~~~

“You’re late,” she snarled even before Jarod was able to make his presence known.

He stepped out of the shadows in the living room and walked around the couch she was sitting on so she could see him. “I know. Sorry, but the drive here took us longer than anticipated,” Jarod said, sitting down in the easy chair.

“Us?” Miss Parker looked at him questioningly.

Jay stepped out of the shadows as well and Miss Parker turned around.

“Jarod, are you insane? Isn’t it enough of a risk coming to my house by yourself? Do you really have to endanger him as well?” she asked incredulously.

“It’s kind of a risk but one Jay and I both agreed to take. This is important,” Jarod explained.

Jay stepped around the couch as well and came to a halt behind his older ‘brother’.

Miss Parker observed him closely and found herself staring at her old childhood friend. She shook her head to clear her mind. “It’s good to see you again, Jay,” she said and smiled at him.

Jay’s face lit up at her comment and he nodded. “The pleasure is mine, Miss Parker,” he grinned.

“Ok, sorry to interrupt but we didn’t come here to do introductions and small talk.”

Miss Parker turned away from Jay and stared levelly at Jarod. “Ok, Jarod. What is this about? Why did I have to leave the Centre early today and why are the two of you taking the risk of coming here?”

Jarod looked down at his hands and tried to think of a way to break the news to her. Not finding one he drew a folder out of the backpack that sat next to him. Until now Miss Parker hadn’t even realized the presence of the black bag and she blinked surprised at the object.

She followed Jarod’s movements and looked at the file folder, curious.

Jarod sighed deeply and put the file on the table in front of him, carefully sliding it over to her.

Miss Parker quirked an eyebrow and reached for it.

Jarod was about to say something when he shut his mouth again, not finding any words that would prepare her for the shock that was to come.

“Project: Vars geslag,“ she read out loud and looked up at Jarod, frowning.

“New generation,” Jarod translated quietly. He didn’t meet her gaze but looked down on his hands.

Miss Parker opened the file and quickly let her gaze wander over the words, her eyes growing bigger by the second. There was a brief silence when she had finished reading, followed by an angry cry and a file folder crashing into the wall, the papers scattering.

She got up in one quick motion and started pacing the room just as Jarod had done when he had learned the news.

“They didn’t. I mean, they couldn’t… could they?” she stopped pacing and looked over to Jarod. When he didn’t reply, she strode over to him and grabbed him by the collar, yanking him up roughly. “Could they?” she screamed into his face.

“I think they were more than capable of doing it,” Jarod said and turned his head so that his gaze came to rest on Jay. Miss Parker followed his gaze and the word ‘clone’ sprang to her mind. She nodded slowly and let go of Jarod’s shirt. Taking a step back, she took a ragged breath and her eyes took on a blank glaze.

“They really did it, didn’t they?” she looked up at Jarod again. This time, her eyes were filled with pain and unshed tears.

Jarod swallowed and then nodded. “Yes, I fear they did.”

“How do we get him out of there?” Miss Parker asked, determination creeping into her voice.

Jarod sat back down. “I’m not sure about that right now.”

“Come on, genius. Don’t tell me you came here without a plan.” She clenched her teeth.

“Sorry but I only learned about that,” he tilted his head into the direction of the scattered papers on the floor, “a few hours ago. I didn’t really get to develop a plan. I had other things on my mind.”

“You’re supposed to do a thousand things all at once, that’s why you’re hunted down by the Centre, so why didn’t you get to working on a plan?” she snarled.

Jarod sat on the couch, his eyes cast downward and his shoulders slumped.

“I think you’re being a bit harsh on him, Miss Parker,” Jay took a step forward. “Jarod is just as dumbfounded as you are and there’s no need to snarl at him. He’s been ripping into himself for not having learned of that earlier. He doesn’t need you ripping into him, he’s capable of doing it alone. What would be appropriate now is either to start on working on a solution or console each other,” Jay said evenly, looking Miss Parker directly in the eye.

She gasped and opened her mouth to throw something at the young man when she realized that he was right. Giving Jay a hard stare, she then nodded and sank onto the couch.

“He’s right. I’m sorry, Jarod,” she whispered.

Jarod nodded, still not looking up. Her words were still present in his mind and somehow she was right. He should have long since been working on an escape plan for the boy. Their son.

“So how do we get my bro--,” she paused and then corrected herself, “our son out of that hellhole?”


To be continued…


Ok, ok people. Yes, this is one of the “Baby-Parker-is-in-fact-Jarod’s-and-Miss-Parker’s-son”-stories. I know that this concept is not new but I promise that this will just be the start for something else. I need them to get the little boy out of the Centre before I can go on to what I have in mind. I hope that you will continue the ride with me.
Still, I’m fretting if you like the story and so I would love to hear from you.