Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part one

~~~~~~~

Smokescreen
Part 2


Freedom and a phone call


He walked along the waters edge. He loved it when the wind rustled his hair and he could breathe in the salty air. The smell and the salt in the air was what had mesmerized him at first. It was so completely unlike the air he had breathed for most of his life in the Centre and also completely unlike the air in the city.

He smiled at the memory that popped up in his mind:

He had stood on the beach for a whole day and just breathed in and out when he had first come to the coast. And then when the night came, he had just lowered himself to the ground. Luckily he had taken a light blanket with him in his backpack.

He had just sat there on the beach, snuggled into the blanket and watching the water, the beach, and the stars above. Without intending to do so, he had fallen asleep, calmed by the sounds and smell of nature.

He had been woken up by someone nudging his shoulder rather roughly and he had found himself looking up at a police officer. It quickly became clear that it wasn’t allowed to sleep on the beach.

And yet, despite all the problems it had caused, the memory was a pleasant and welcome one. It was part of his first experiences in the real world and therefore an important part of who he was.

He shook off the memory and turned slightly so that he was facing the water. Seagulls were sailing in the air without so much making an effort to move their wings.

The waves were gently lapping onto the shore, breaking at some distance in front of it and gently rolling onto the beach, producing an ebb and flow of water on the soft sand.

Again, he breathed deeply and then turned back to walk some more.

Abruptly he came to a halt after only walking a short distance.

He watched the child in front of him, mesmerized.

It wasn’t so much the child that fascinated him but what the teen was doing.

He tilted his head to his side and continued to watch the fluid motions the boy made that were transpired to the object above. His gaze was transfixed onto the object and he was following its every move.

He started walking again, this time having a destination. He stepped up directly next to the young boy.

“Hey, what are you doing there?” he asked.

The boy, obviously having heard him stepping next to him, turned towards him, his eyes leaving the object above and growing when he faced him. “Are you kidding Mister? You mean to tell me that you have never seen a kite? Where did you grow up?”

He swallowed, not really nervous for it wasn’t the first time that this question had been posed to him. “They didn’t have things like that where I grew up,” he grinned and looked up at the kite again.

The boy blinked and then shook his head. He turned his eyes back to the object above them as well.

“A piece of fabric put up between a frame and with the aid of the wind flying in the breeze,” Jarod analysed. “Impressive,” he added.

The boy turned to him again. “You are kidding, aren’t you?”

“May I perhaps try?” Jarod asked the boy carefully.

The teen shrugged his shoulders. “Step behind me and take the lines. You have to be careful with your moves. The kite is easily irritable,” the boy said and looked at him.

Jarod nodded and then did as the boy had asked. He stepped behind him and carefully took the reins.

“You got them?” the boy asked and waited for Jarod to confirm before he let go of the ropes. When he did, the boy ducked out under the ropes and stepped next to Jarod.

Slowly, the tension left Jarod’s body and his movements became less shaky. He steadied the kite and then gently pulled at one rope to get him to fly to one side.

“Hey, not bad,” the boy observed and relaxed as well when he saw that Jarod had a good feeling for his kite.

“I’m a fast learner,” Jarod grinned.

The boy chuckled. “Well, you are lucky that the wind isn’t that strong today. It is a good day to fly a kite for the first time. Wind like yesterday is a lot more difficult.”

“I can imagine,” Jarod nodded and let the kite fly into the other direction.

“Get him a bit higher up into the air and then tug at one of the ropes rather suddenly but with feeling. That way you will get the kite to make a looping,” the boy explained.

Jarod nodded. He did what the boy asked but it didn’t work. He barely got the kite up again before it crashed onto the ground.

“Whew. I nearly crashed it. I think I should give it back to you before I ruin it,” Jarod said.

“No, you cleared the situation well. Try again,” the boy shook his head, refusing to take his kite back.

“Sure?” Jarod asked, his heart still beating rather hard in his chest after the near crash.

“Yes, the kite can stand some crashes. I’ve had my share of them so go on,” the boy urged him, grinning at his own statement.

Jarod nodded and concentrated. His eyes followed the kite closely and then he again tried the move the boy had explained to him.

And this time it worked.

A smile grew on Jarod’s face. “Gotcha.”

“See, it’s not that hard, but I wouldn’t have thought you to learn that fast,” the boy nodded, impressed. “And now turn him again. This time into the other direction so that you have the lines clear in front of you again.”

“Ok,” Jarod said and yanked at the rope. The kite came rather close to the ground but it worked nonetheless.

“Good,” the boy observed.

Jarod did one or two more loops, all successful. He turned towards the boy and saw him looking up at his kite with a stunned expression. He smirked. “I told you that I was a fast learner,” Jarod grinned, making the boy turn towards him, returning his grin.

Before the boy could reply something to Jarod’s statement they were interrupted by a shrill sound. Both man looked at one another with a confused frown until the sound registered in both their minds.

“Damn, that’s my cell,” Jarod grumbled and was about to reach out for it when he remembered the kite. He looked at the boy. “Maybe you should,” he let the sentence trail off, indicating the kite with a nod of his head.

“Sure,” the boy nodded and moved so that he was standing back in front of Jarod, ready to take the ropes back from him. “Got them,” he informed the man who was now again standing behind him.

Jarod took a step back and then grabbed his cell phone out of his pocket.

“This is Jarod,” he answered when he snatched the device open.

“Son,” he heard a voice announce from the other end.

“Dad?” he asked incredulously. “Where did you get this number from?”

“I had a bit of luck. How are you, Jarod?”

“Free and fine,” Jarod answered. “Where are you? Can we meet?” he questioned excitedly. He walked back to the boy and put a hand on his shoulder. “Thanks,” he whispered when the teen looked up. The boy nodded while grinning widely.

“Son?” the Major asked.

“Yes, sorry. I just had to talk to someone. So, can we meet?”

“No, I’m afraid that won’t be possible at the moment,” the Major declined sadly.

Jarod’s shoulders fell and he heaved a breath.

“Sorry Jarod. I just think that the Centre is rather close on our heels at the moment. I don’t think it would be wise to meet up with you now.”

Our heels?” Jarod asked. “Are Emily and the boy with you?”

“Emily is but not the boy. Jay is still safe where I brought him after we first found him,” the Major explained. “And this is basically why I’m calling you right now.”

Jarod frowned at that comment. “Jay?”

“That’s the name the boy chose for himself,” the Major informed his son.

“Oh, ok. And what is it that has you worried?”

“I got a call from my friends who agreed to take care of him and it seems that he has been difficult for about two and a half months now. He’s rather aggressive and skipping lessons at school. A few days ago he had a fight with another boy at school,” Major Charles explained.

“Wait a moment. He’s going to school?”

“Yes, he is. We thought it best if he would go to school so as not to attract any attention in the small town about his staying home. The plan was for him not to do all his classes as well as he could and to keep a low profile, but obviously he is attracting quite a lot of attention. Not the way I feared he would but he does.”

Jarod nodded and just made a noncommittal sound, asking his father to go on.

“Well, they called me and asked me to come because they have no idea how to deal with him any longer. He is obviously unresponsive to any arguments. But well,” his father hesitated.

“You have no possibility to get there without getting the Centre’s attraction on the boy and bringing all of you in danger,” Jarod finished for him.

“Yes,” the Major admitted. “Could you perhaps…” he trailed off again.

Jarod smiled. “Where is he?”

“Are you sure the line is secure?”

“It should be but we shouldn’t take any chances. Call me back in about ten minutes. I will be back at my room then and I have a scrambler there,” Jarod responded.

“Ok, will do,” Major Charles replied.

They both disconnected and Jarod hurried to get back to his lair. He started throwing his things back into his bag. Even though he had just arrived yesterday, he was on his way again.

When his father called him again, he had nearly finished packing. His father gave him the directions and Jarod quickly wrote them down. They were about to end the conversation when Jarod addressed his father once more.

“Dad, how’s Emily?”

The Major chuckled. “She’s fine, but how about I let her tell you that herself? Em, wait.”

Jarod grinned and waited for his sister to get the phone.

“Jarod?” he heard her say breathlessly.

His face lit up when he heard her voice and he sat down on the bed. “Em,” he sighed. “How are you?”

“I’m fine, Jarod. I’m fine,” she replied.

“That’s good,” Jarod breathed deeply and closed his eyes. “You had me worried.”

“Yeah, the last time we saw each other three months back was clearly not my best time,” she replied softly.

“No, I think it wouldn’t be exaggerated to say that. But now you’re ok, aren’t you?”

“Yes, I’m really fine; still on the run but not alone any longer. I would be even better if you were with us,” she sighed.

“One day, Em, one day we will all be together,” Jarod said firmly.

“I really hope so.”

“So do I, Emily. So do I. Just hang in there together with Dad and stay safe and away from the Centre.”

“I will, and you too stay away from them,” she gave back.

Jarod smiled at the tone of her voice. “I will,” he said. “I love you, little sister.”

“I love you too, big brother,” Emily replied, with tears shining through her voice.

“I’m sure that we’ll see each other again real soon,” Jarod said, swallowing the lump that had formed in his throat.

“Ok,” Emily sobbed.

Jarod listened helplessly as his sister cried softly at the other end of the phone.

“Jarod?” his father’s voice rang out suddenly.

“Hmm?” Jarod mumbled, not quite trusting his voice.

“We will see each other soon,” it was a statement and not a question and it came with certainty.

“Yes, we will Dad,” Jarod replied. “Just stay one or two steps ahead of the Centre. I don’t want to have to worry about you.”

“You don’t have to. We will move again today. You just get to the boy and try to find out what the problem is and we will see that we stay away from the Centre.”

“Ok. I will make contact soon,” Jarod said and looked at the number his father had given him at the beginning of their conversation. “I better go now.”

“Yes, take care my boy,” the Major said, emotions colouring his voice now as well.

Jarod nodded. “I will, Dad,” he breathed deeply. “I love you.”

“I love you too, son. Be careful,” the Major said and then they both terminated connection.

Jarod swallowed and put his face in his hands. He had just spoken to his family, at least to a part of his family. He looked up, a small smile forming on his face.

And now he would go to another member of his family; a young boy who was genetically identical to him and who obviously needed some help to get along.


To be continued…

Author’s Note: Ok, I would think that the story line got clearer now and that there aren’t as many question marks on your faces as after the first chapter, right?
Oh and about the kite… well, it was an idea that popped up in my mind when I was on the beach the last time and there was enough wind to fly them. I do it occasionally myself. I’m far from being extremely good or even being a professional but I’m always enjoying it and I just had to put it into the story.