Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The Centre


“Just can’t find it, Mister Raines,” the security camera man said, pointing to the doors that were involved in the break in with the offspring pretenders. “The intruder was there during their last meeting, but nothing was broken in.” A person in rags was going through all the security without anything needed.

“She had the codes,” Mister Raines said, staring at the video footage. “How could someone have all the codes?”

“How could someone survive? There were even lasers she had somehow passed, knowing the sequence to break it?” The security camera man scratched his head.

“It’s great to see everything you don’t know. Call me when you have something that you do know,” Mister Raines demanded. He stared at the figure on the footage again. “It has to be her. She’s been missing six months.” He watched his son finally stroll in. “Lyle, what took you? I called you earlier. You should have been here.”

“Sorry, Mister Raines,” Lyle Parker said honorably. “Just going through the steps of my own cases. Anything helpful?”

“Nothing anymore helpful. Pretenders are gone.”

“Still think it was my sister?” Lyle adjusted his tie. “Our mother was a big believer in rescuing children. Maybe she came down with the same disease?”

“Now?” Mister Raines asked as he pinched his chin. “She gives a damn now?” He watched the videos once again. “She wouldn’t just give a damn now.” Hmm. “Did you look into the other incident more carefully?”

“Sure did.” Lyle gave his brother a folder. “I couldn’t find a thing about Miss Parker trying to break out any clone out from The Centre. Everything was done on Jarod and Major Charles’ end.” Lyle looked back at the footage too. “You really think she was secretly trying to rescue the clone back then?”

“No. She didn’t lift a finger back then.” He looked back at Lyle. ”She knew she didn’t have to.” He rubbed his mouth. “Send out an official statement to the Triumvirate, signed by Mister Raines Parker.” Him. “Upon further investigations, The Centre believes our in-house pretenders were taken, along with my daughter, possibly by Jarod.”

“Wait, we are saying Miss Parker was taken?” Lyle asked confused. “So far all the evidence points to-“

“I don’t pay you to think,” Mister Raines said, putting him back into his place. “Just do it.”


------------------------


Sydney entered the office. “Good morning, Broots. I’m not too surprised to see you here.”

“Six months.” Broots sat down. “Morning, Sydney.” He dragged himself to behind the computer. As he dug into his computer though? “Sydney? To hide this well from The Centre,  do you think Miss Parker ran with Jarod? And?”

Sydney scooted toward the computer. “They think Jarod took Miss Parker and some pretenders?” He feigned ignorance. “Odd indeed.”

“The Centre sent it straight to the Triumvirate not long ago.” Broots glanced at Sydney. “The ages of the pretenders?” He shook his head. “Man, there’s no way Miss Parker would survive hanging out with those kids. Not six months.”

“She did fine with Debbie,” Sydney pointed out.

“Debbie was one kid, she was well behaved, and it wasn’t super long. That would be a lot of  excitable kids getting to be on the outside for the first time, for six months. I can’t see her surviving that.” Broots stared at the computer. “Still? More pretenders? I can’t believe more were hiding in here and Jarod didn’t know about it. Anyway, why would anyone steal Miss Parker with a bunch of kids? Did they find footage of her being kidnapped?” He fidgeted. “I don’t think she was kidnapped.”

“Maybe.” Sydney shrugged. “We won’t know the truth until she comes back. Until then, Broots. Just keep looking.”


--------------------------


The Centre Playroom


Mister Raines moved toward a special room in The Centre and slipped in his card. He opened the door and went in, seeing more clones there. Lucas. Ronald. Coded Rain. Stephanie. While it was good to have backups, it wasn't as good as the originals. The originals were disciplined and raised in The Centre. These were pulled back into The Centre from their normal lives.

Cloning tech had been perfected some time ago. Catherine and the Miss Parkers were the best of any of them. In fact, for the longest time, they were the only ones The Centre had. Their inner sense made them so unique.

However, tech did catch up, and The Centre knew exactly how to handle them now. Since the old ones were causing trouble with the new ones, it might be time to get rid of the old ones.

These new ones were plenty. He looked down at the kids. "Enjoying The Centre's toys?"

Ronald smiled. "Yes!"

"Where's my mom?" Stephanie asked him. "My mom and dad should have been here by now."

"The Centre's been working out arrangements with them, Stephanie," he answered.

“My name’s Alicia,” Stephanie insisted. “Alicia Brundghart.”

You won’t remember that for long. "They'll come soon, Sweetie." He took a deep breath while the kids all stared at him. If I don't get the others back, then they'll have to remain backups. Annoying, they’d have to be trained, all because of his daughter. Or clones. Or, whatever anymore.

They were all the same thing. He looked toward Lucas, staring at him. He still had the same kind of cold eyes the original had. Still great potential. "Lucas. Why don't you come for a walk with me? We'll get to know each other better."

"My name’s Evan, and only if you stop the song in the background," Lucas said as he grabbed his hand. "That stupid song is driving me crazy. I’m a kid, not tone deaf."

Mister Raines went over to the small tape recorder and turned off the senseless happy dribble. "There we go. Now let's go enjoy a nice walk, Lucas. You can tell me what your dad does for a living."

"Listen to mom," Lucas answered.

Mister Raines smirked. Yes. He'd be a good one to try. Smart alecs were the easiest to break.


The Centre. 5:30 AM


Mister Raines approached the office Broots and Lyle were working in, tracking Jarod. “Broots. Lyle. Where’s Sydney?”

"No idea," Lyle said.

“Uh? I don’t know,” Broots said weakly. He didn't. It was earlier than usual. "I was told to come in at 5:00. I don't know if Sydney had been told that too." For some reason, that seemed to please Mister Raines instead.

“What are you finding for data on our lost Miss Parker, Lyle?” Mister Raines asked. "The Centre needs her. She needs to be found."

Lyle was just staring at Mister Raines. Broots ignored the tension and went back to his work. No doubt he'd find out what that was about soon. Sibling rivalry at massacre levels again?


-------------------------

Lyle got up from the office and went down the hallway, leaving Broots behind. “Lots of calls coming in from our sources, Mister Raines. I don’t know how we got this many this fast, for one technically lost person?”

Ah. “Some bitterness in your voice?” Mister Raines asked. 

“What do we do with all these reports?” Lyle demanded. “Sir, this is insane. It’s not gonna . . . it’s too big for The Centre.”

“Nothing’s too big for The Centre. The Centre isn’t a place, it’s a god.”

“Was I ever like this?”

“No, who would need you?” Mister Raines adjusted his tie. “We aren’t going after any of the others, relax. Just Miss Parker. Now, how many do you have?”

Lyle still seemed to have a slight bitter edge as he brought the folders. “This far. It’s too many. It’s too obvious.” He still seemed conflicted.

“You don’t have enough faith,” Mister Raines said. “How many?”

"234."

"That's good. Tell the sources it's feeding time," Mister Raines said to Lyle. "As I am sure you are guessing? We’ve excelled past them and we are eliminating them."

"Elimination? All of them?" It seemed like such a waste and a hassle. “That’s like . . . like  killing my sister. Many times over.”

"Hm. We were going to bring them in, cool them down and get answers about which one had the kids," Mister Raines said. "Change of plans, especially with 234. More than one confidential source has claimed they are awakening memories without instruction to do so. That’s a step too far, we are getting rid of the pest problem now. We'll take care of this and then lay low awhile. Besides, this project is old news, it's not needed anymore. Very few successes."

They'd have to stay below the radar for a little while. In house experiments only.  The real shame was The Centre would be on an extreme lockdown of all their usual Centre business for quite some time.

No more outside government projects coming in. Nothing but the basics. He’d probably have to use his own earnings to keep it running through these dark times.

But it was necessary. Being compromised was not an option and this will hit the news. Hard. There was no stopping it, the public would see this move. "Tell them there's fifty million on the table. Send all data you've accumulated out to each source. Collect one object per kill for identity, no bystanders shot or no payment. It will all be divided like a Sunday potluck dinner." Lyle seemed almost frozen. "You have a problem with that?"

"No." Lyle looked at the folder again. "We are killing Miss Parker. There's no way Broots will do that without question. He’ll look into things, he’ll discover the connections. He’ll see the truth."

“If he does ever get that far somehow? He would only think we pushed him through re-education and messed with the mind. No one would guess the truth. Everyone has a price for their soul," Mister Raines said. "Some are more expensive than others. Some are cheap. Yours is cheaper. Get it done."

"Yes, Sir. I know where it hurts this one," Lyle said. "This is still a bad idea."

"Cold feet?" Mister Raines asked. "Never got rid of this many so fast?" It was the Miss Parkers. It had to be swift and quick.

"No, I'll do it, Mister Raines. Jarod might come kill us you know."

"Which one?" Mister Raines smirked. “Less fear, Mister Lyle. That’s why you haven’t gotten very far yet. You need to be strong to survive The Centre.” He held up a finger. "There's also a pool on who'll live longest. If you want in, you've got thirty minutes."

Lyle still looked weird. "This isn’t like shooting fish in a barrel. She’s got incredible skill."

"Not all of them are the same. Use the term sister loosely,” Mister Raines warned him.


----------------------------------


Lyle came into the office room behind Broots again. The things he knew. The things he’d seen. This computer guy, he’d never believe it. He wouldn’t. Never. Even if he was there when the clone of Jarod was found in Donoterase? He’d never believe what had happened. “Possible places my sister could be hiding.” He kept the top identifiers on the top. He had given Broots only the basics of a standard missing person job so he wasn’t any wiser.

Broots had been doing fine, his Centre computer skills sewing the destruction of Miss Parker with each click, unknowingly. File after file, the computer kept lighting up his visage. Click by click by click. Then, he started to slow down lightly. Getting a little suspicious of Lyle. Meanwhile, Lyle kept his phone handy. They met each other’s eyes briefly, before Broots looked back at the paper. He looked back toward Lyle.

“There a problem, Broots?” Lyle questioned. “Clickety clack it up.”

Broots picked up the file and started to look at it closer. “I don’t think your sister would ever be there. Would she?”

“I don’t know? She did steal kids,” Lyle said. “I mean, the pretender probably stole her with the kids. Seems reasonable. Back to work.”

“Jarod wouldn’t put them into a public school.” Broots was hesitating. “Who saw her in a public school?” He looked at another file.

Lyle knew that would happen. “We are The Centre, Broots. We cover all possible ways of escape.” He shrugged. “Probably a long shot, but it’s still a shot. Especially if it's for a short time. Hell, Jarod fakes surgeon papers like nothing, that shouldn’t be a big deal. I mean? Was it tough for you when put your daughter through school? Trusting place, isn’t it?” Yeah. Broots was starting to eye him even more. “Lots of friends. Open area. I believe it actually is, what, your kid’s lunch time soon?” He had a small lunch calendar on him he’d only get from the school. Broots would know, he probably had onen too. "Ooh, yes. Chicken nuggets today. That sounds great. Not lunch time, yet. In about fifteen minutes. Hm."

Yeah. Broots looked back at the computer slowly, looked toward the folder and started typing again.

Keystroke by keystroke. Somewhat aware of what he was doing, yet still not really. Knowing it was wrong, but still pushing those buttons. 

Keystroke by keystroke. A little slower. A little more deliberately. Lyle just leaned over and watched. 

Damn. The power of the keyboard right now.

Broots didn’t know. Oh, Broots didn’t know.





—------------------------------------------------------------------



Seattle

Dimple’s Diner


“Oh, I can’t wait for some yummy service!”

Aww shit! “Cuyler.” Bastard found her finally. He walked into Dimple’s and sat straight down at the counter.

“I think I want a burger.” He eyed her in the corner. “Well, what a surprise to see you here, Kitty Katty.”

Ass. Ass. Ass. Kathleen delivered the next hamburger she had, as soon as possible. She didn’t say a word, hoping he would just leave.

“So, Kitty Katty,” Cuyler bugged her. “There is this awesome new job I wanted to introduce you to. It’s way better. I want you to come see it.”

“No way.” She had to answer. “I have a job, and I’m good at it.” Relatively speaking. “Every time you try to get me involved in anything, I end up in the hospital or something. Screw you. Eat your burger and get out.” No way.

“Don’t be that way Kitty Katty,” Cuyler kept bugging her. “This one is out of Seattle. The first opportunity away from here. It’s all in the way in Delaware.”

“I woke up in Delaware one time,” she reminded him. “Still in a hospital.”

“You woke up delirious,” Cuyler insisted. “You were never out of Seattle’s area.”

No. It didn’t matter what he said, she knew she woke up in Delaware. It felt like Delaware. Wait. How do I know how Delaware feels?

“It’s an organization. It pays good money,” he insisted. “My connections found an open spot there. No more dawdling around in these miserable pity jobs, or making dangerous contracts.”

The contract thing was him, not her. She flipped the next burger.

“A different state. A different beginning. Come with me?” he insisted. “Kathleen?”

Miserable pest. “You really think I’m just gonna drop everything and go live in a different state with some guy?”

“Yeah, it’s not unheard of,” he said with a strange tilt in his voice. “It’s not unheard of at all. I need you to come, we have to get out of here.”

He did sound strange, but there was no way she was doing that. Ever. Recipe for disaster, it didn’t matter what he did, she wasn’t budging.

He nagged for a little while until customers made it harder for him to bother her. He eventually took off, but he warned her that ‘they were going soon’.

Whatever, she wasn’t moving an inch.




—-------------------------------------


Georgia, Nowhere.


Miss Parker got up earlier, moving the kids sleeping around her as she sensed something at the door. She didn’t hear a sound, but she knew someone was there. She looked out the window and saw Maggie, the mother of the PK’s. Without thinking much about it, she opened the door. 


The woman, Maggie, stared at her. Just stared. She didn't talk.


Parker came closer. Almost within arm's reach but not quite. "Maggie? How did you get out too?"


The woman continued to stare at Parker. Nothing was said.


Parker spoke again. "I’m Miss Parker. We met?” She could feel something wrong. “Your children are safe, the ones I could find."


"Your name’s not Miss Parker," Maggie said. "No one's Miss Parker. She’s Imaginary."


Okay? "Imaginary or not, I'm here." She should just ask about it. "Were you born at The Centre?" She doubted she could simply hand over her kids.


"Maggie born of everything and everywhere." She just smiled at Parker. "You were born of everything and everywhere. Imaginary woman."


Who was this woman? “I’m not imaginary, I'm Miss Parker.”


“Are you? Then?” She held out her arm toward her, snatching it. “Who are they?”


New York


"Buddy, will you knock it off, I'm driving here!" Miss Parker yelled as she honked her horn.


Denver


"If you ask me, I think the Lord could have spent a few extra minutes on those looks," Miss Parker giggled to her friend as she poked fun at someone on the other side of the school.


Tennessee


Miss Parker stared at her paper. Her teacher had called on her, in all subjects, math. "One?" She looked toward her teacher, hoping she got her guess right.


Washington


"Dollar ninety nine, get 'em for a dollar ninety nine!" Miss Parker yelled to the kids from her Ice Cream Truck.


Florida


"Leave me like five minutes, I have three minutes 'til I beat this level," Miss Parker insisted to her parents as she played on her game system.


“If you are Miss Parker, then who are they?” Maggie asked.


Them. Images and voices of her at different times and ages. Just like I told Jarod. Just like I’d seen. All hitting her all at once, started somehow by Maggie’s touch. She felt herself fall backwards. She heard Jarod’s voice, he was trying to get her up. “Maggie.” She pointed at Maggie. She isn’t good, she’s bad. There’s something bad about her.


Jarod didn’t pay any attention to the woman standing in front of them. “What is it, what are you pointing at?” he asked. “What happened?”


He couldn’t see her? “Maggie.”


—------------------------------



“Who is Maggie? The mother of the PK’s?” Jarod planned on being the first one up, but for some reason, Parker was over by the front door. He watched as she completely seized up looking at the door and then fell to the ground. Now, she was pointing and calling for someone named Maggie.


While he was checking her over, he was met with another hell of a surprise. “Sydney?” Sydney was getting out of a car. “What are you doing here?”


“I wanted to know that myself,” Sydney said. “I was called out here early this morning by Miss Parker.”


Miss Parker called him? Jarod looked at Miss Parker. “Did you call Sydney for some reason?”


“It’s more people with Aunt Par!” Stephanie said as she approached the door. “Aunt Par fell down and went boom!”


Her twin came to the door as well. “Does she need some medical care?”


“No, just stay inside,” Jarod warned her. “It might be getting dangerous, don’t come out unless I say.” Then, knowing how kids liked to do the opposite of what adults wanted? “Keep everyone inside, and I’ll make it up for supper. Whatever you guys decide, I’ll get for you.” Yep, that got them both hightailing it inside yelling. “Stay away from the door and we can have whatever we want for supper!”


Sydney came closer. “Miss Parker, what’s wrong?”


Miss Parker exhaled deeply and blew out a ton of air. Then yawned. She looked around herself. Up. Down. Right. Left. "Huh. Okay, Rene, what the hell you get yourself into now?" She turned and looked at Sydney and Jarod oddly.


What? She suddenly had a strange accent. A different way of moving about her.


"Okay?" She stood up and Jarod let her go, seeing she was moving steadily. She got off the porch though, and then started to walk backwards from them, like they might hurt her. "I'm not here to cause any trouble. I'll just get in my car and go." She looked around. "I don't see my Toyota anywhere."


"Miss Parker?" Sydney called to her. "Are you okay?"

 

"Eh? Look, I'm sorry fella," she apologized. "My name's Rene. Rene Grossberg. Peyton, Colorado? You've got me confused with someone else." She rubbed her neck and looked around. "Where's my car?"